Why does Grandmaster Yoda's Masterstroke not get countered?

Prev1
So many times I've seen GMY hit Count Dooku or Thrawn (with zeta and Fractured enemy so he has 100% counter chance) with Masterstroke and they don't counter.

Is this a bug or something I'm missing?

Replies

• HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Under Revan lead? Then he might have the Strategic Advantage that Revan brings, which makes him counter proof until he passes it to someone else
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    HK666 wrote: »
    Under Revan lead? Then he might have the Strategic Advantage that Revan brings, which makes him counter proof until he passes it to someone else

So I thought was the issue but it isn't. Masterstroke doesn't always get countered even if Yoda doesn't have Strategic Advantage.

Are you playing against another Revan team?

Does the other team have foresight?
  • Was he in Stealth?
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Did he use the force!!!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

So I thought was the issue but it isn't. Masterstroke doesn't always get countered even if Yoda doesn't have Strategic Advantage.

Yes and no.

Again, I'm talking about counters, not hits.

And I've mentioned Yoda doesn't hand Strategic Advantage so the implication is that it's under a Revan lead.

If you dont hit the other team, i.e.- they have foresight, there will be no counter attack
  • Kyno wrote: »

Yes and no.

And I've mentioned Yoda doesn't hand Strategic Advantage so the implication is that it's under a Revan lead.

If you dont hit the other team, i.e.- they have foresight, there will be no counter attack

That's not true. My character will counterhit but the counter will miss because of Foresight.

What Kyno is saying, is if the opponent has foresight, then your attack will miss and therefore can't be countered.
  • @Crackling_Doom there are a few scenarios when GMY wont get countered.
    1. The other team has foresight therefore u just cleanse their foresight
    2. When somebody from the other team has Stealth because GMY will steal stealth so he wont be countered.
    3. Revan's Strategic Advantage
  • Titanu wrote: »
    @Crackling_Doom there are a few scenarios when GMY wont get countered.
    1. The other team has foresight therefore u just cleanse their foresight
    2. When somebody from the other team has Stealth because GMY will steal stealth so he wont be countered.
    3. Revan's Strategic Advantage

I am aware of all that. But as I mentioned above, Yoda is not stealthed and Yoda does not have Strategic Advantage.

The issue isn't that Yoda doesn't get hit, the issue is that my character does not counter when they get hit with Masterstroke.

Maybe they dodged his attack? Currently I use GMY everywhere and don´t remember having seen the behaviour you described.

Yes and no.

That's not true. My character will counterhit but the counter will miss because of Foresight.

What Kyno is saying, is if the opponent has foresight, then your attack will miss and therefore can't be countered.

Ok. But I specificity stated that Masterstroke does not always get "countered", not that Yoda doesn't get hit with said counter.

You are still missing what is being said. If there is foresight on the character being attacked by Yoda they'll dodge Yoda’s attack so they won't counter.

Could do with a video next time you see this. Sounds like Yoda is just being evaded.
  • GMY also hits my cls many times without stealth using master stroke. Not once has my cls counter attacked him. No revan buff or stealth or foresight is present on yoda before or after. I’ll work to get screen shots.
  • GMY also hits my cls many times without stealth using master stroke. Not once has my cls counter attacked him. No revan buff or stealth or foresight is present on yoda before or after. I’ll work to get screen shots.

Does your CLS have the call to Call to Action buff? If so, he doesn't get the +50% counter chance from his unique.
  • Another interesting fact:
    1) GMY that has stagger on him uses Masterstroke
    2) GAT counters and removes his TM
    3) GMY still takes his next action
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Legend91 wrote: »
    Another interesting fact:

I think that's order of operations at play. "He gains an immediate turn if there is a living jedi ally"
    So it's probably Masterstroke, counter, reduce TM from stagger and then gain bonus turn. Only a counter that stuns him would "prevent" the extra turn.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Legend91 wrote: »

That's WAI. GMY gains an immidiate bonus turn, not just 100% TM. The devs changed how that ability worked for it to happen how it happens now.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Legend91 wrote: »

I think that's order of operations at play. "He gains an immediate turn if there is a living jedi ally"
    So it's probably Masterstroke, counter, reduce TM from stagger and then gain bonus turn. Only a counter that stuns him would "prevent" the extra turn.
    leef wrote: »

That's WAI. GMY gains an immidiate bonus turn, not just 100% TM. The devs changed how that ability worked for it to happen how it happens now.

Not calling a bug on that.
    Just an interesting fact cause it looks weird when he loses all his turn meter and then takes an action anway.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

I assumed this is why no counter too (re OP). gmy hurries up and starts the next play, and it's too late for dooku to throw the challenge flag. I don't ever remember gmy getting countered off masterstroke (incl cls rebs etc, iirc), so seems to be wai? would be a pretty big nerf if gmy did MS then everyone just countered and gg yoda
    I may be confusing it with yoda having stealth/foresight, bc I kinda think I remember someone countering but just missing. bottom line: not sure lol
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • @Crackling_Doom You need to provide more specifics. Which characters on your team are you expecting to counter? Are you running Revan? If so, do they have retribution or battle meditation - battle meditation provides a 70% counter chance, not 100%? If they are expected to counter, do they have foresight?

• Gifafi wrote: »

I assumed this is why no counter too (re OP). gmy hurries up and starts the next play, and it's too late for dooku to throw the challenge flag. I don't ever remember gmy getting countered off masterstroke (incl cls rebs etc, iirc), so seems to be wai? would be a pretty big nerf if gmy did MS then everyone just countered and gg yoda
    I may be confusing it with yoda having stealth/foresight, bc I kinda think I remember someone countering but just missing. bottom line: not sure lol

I fight yodas every day and masterstroke can indeed be countered, my nest does it all the time

Yes and no.

Ok. But I specificity stated that Masterstroke does not always get "countered", not that Yoda doesn't get hit with said counter.

You are still missing what is being said. If there is foresight on the character being attacked by Yoda they'll dodge Yoda’s attack so they won't counter.

Could do with a video next time you see this. Sounds like Yoda is just being evaded.

How can he evade when my character doesn't counter, and therefore does not attack, Yoda?

Deep breath. I don't know why you are struggling with what me and Kyno said.

If Yoda attacks a character that has foresight (no foresight on Yoda, forget about that), that character will not take damage from Yoda’s attack, and therefore won't counter attack.
  • I have the Zeta on Thrawn's unique, meaning when an enemy is Fractured, he has 100% counter chance. Yet he doesn't attack Yoda when he should after using Masterstroke.

Yoda has no Foresight (and even if he did, Thrawn should still counter but the attack will miss), he has no stealth and he does not have Strategic Advantage.

Which means my Thrawn should counter when he gets hit by Masterstroke but he rarely ever does.

If [zeta Ebb & Flow] Thrawn has fractured an enemy, and a GMY without stealth or Strategic Advantage attacks your Thrawn [with any attack including Masterstroke], he should always counterattack.

The only situation in which I can surmise he would not counterattack in this situation is if your GMY missed. Alternatively, I would suggest that GMY actually had SA and you overlooked it in the fast-paced battle, given how quickly that murderous muppet takes turns.

If you record your fights and find one where Thrawn should counterattack but does not, please upload it to Youtube and provide a link here so we can review it.