GA - Matchmaking over 5M GP.

Hello,

Is it possible to do something about matchmaking in upper tier GP (5M +), because we are often matched up with the exact same player, over and over again.

For example in all the GA I had since it was launched I always had between 2 and 4 players that were identical from previous GA.
Meaning in my last TW :

- 1st Round : It was my 4th fight against that player.
- 2nd Round : it was my 2nd fight against that player
- 3rd Round : it was my 4th fight as well against that player.

A simple way to avoid this would to be to widen the "GP range" of match up (because the issue seems to simply be that above 5.2M GP there isnt enough "player" to have different match ups all the time.
Or maybe just like in TW saving up an "history" so we can't be match with the same players for 2 or 3 GA in a row at least ?

Thanks.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Sorry I have to....

"Talk about first world problems"
    On topic, that is a little crazy to think about, with all the players in the mid range I never thought about playing the same player more than once or twice.

Bottom end people are always moving up so it's also unlikely.

Top end is just a small crowd that is going to be slow to fill. The band is pretty narrow, but I wonder how much they can widen it to give you better matches and keep it fair.
  • What does 5 mill GP even look like? Everything maxed including CUP? :o
  • Dayma
    260 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Kyno wrote: »
    Sorry I have to....
    "Talk about first world problems"
    On topic, that is a little crazy to think about, with all the players in the mid range I never thought about playing the same player more than once or twice.
    Bottom end people are always moving up so it's also unlikely.
    Top end is just a small crowd that is going to be slow to fill. The band is pretty narrow, but I wonder how much they can widen it to give you better matches and keep it fair.

So I just have to keep fighting the same opponent over and over and over again (which we DO NOT do in TW for example) just because ?? Because nothing ? You won't ever face the same people so your answer is "deal with it because I dont care it won't ever happened to me ?.

Just by adding simple exclusion or widening to 50k GP range isnt going to do much for anyone. (in both 4.5M GP or 5.4M GP).

So you dont need to talk about low bracket since they ARE bracket lets use them...
    honestely I hoped for a little more constructive answer than this coming from a Moderator.
    Besides you can keep your sarcasms for yourself "First world problem" where did I said it was a huge scale problem ? Please just stay on topic as I was being cordial, or just dont answer me.

Regards.

Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    What does 5 mill GP even look like? Everything maxed including CUP? :o

Its mostly mods and ship / latest toon up to 7 :star: . So yea the differences are so slim 50 or even 100k GP are like nothing (past 5M at least).
    It's mostly Zeta and Mods and that is always 100% dilued in the whole GP stat.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • Dayma wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

So I just have to keep fighting the same opponent over and over and over again (which we DO NOT do in TW for example) just because ?? Because nothing ? You won't ever face the same people so your answer is "deal with it because I dont care it won't ever happened to me ?.

Where do you see "deal with it" in the response? It looks like Kyno is simply asking the same question as you. If you are seeing the same opponents, it means that there are not that many to go around that would be fair matchups.
    Dayma wrote: »
    Besides you can keep your sarcasms for yourself "First world problem" where did I said it was a huge scale problem ?

To be honest, I thought the same thing as Kyno and giggled at the comment. If you're angry about the matchmaking algorithm, going on the boards and getting annoyed with the moderator doesn't seem to be too productive.
  • Where do you see "deal with it" in the response? It looks like Kyno is simply asking the same question as you. If you are seeing the same opponents, it means that there are not that many to go around that would be fair matchups.
    when i read "that's a little crazy to think about".
    Like "it's not a real problem at all". Just re read the post.
    Dayma wrote: »
    Besides you can keep your sarcasms for yourself "First world problem" where did I said it was a huge scale problem ?

To be honest, I thought the same thing as Kyno and giggled at the comment. If you're angry about the matchmaking algorithm, going on the boards and getting annoyed with the moderator doesn't seem to be too productive.[/quote]
    I wasnt angry in the first place. GA are a very nice addition to the game, and battling and winning (or losing for others) the same players over and over and over, makes it fun when they are "motivated player" but lots are not and its like "oh those 3 guys again I know i will win those 2 in AUTO and i hope i will end up facing this one at least".
    But yes if you aren't in my position you will never have to think about it or experience it, "nice for you I guess".
    As for the moderator, going on with sarcasms and tedious joke made me a little angry / disapointed yes since I was just relaying a problem i'm encountering "as unimportant as it could be" with pretty polite formulation and I got "slap" by "its a crazy thought" yea i can be a bit **** (angry being way too harsh of a word for a forum post).

So to sum it up.
    It's no fun having the very same 2 GA out of 3 with weak unmotivated opponent EVERY SINGLE GA Event.
    Maybe you can't think of it as a descent issue, but it's what we are dealing with.

• I think you may have slightly misinterpreted Kyno's post when he said 'it's a little crazy to think about'. It's probably a language barrier - he wasn't suggesting your idea is crazy, he was saying that it's amazing to be so high in GP that there are only a few who can match you.

Not that Kyno needs me to speak for him!
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, that's how I read it too. My mind also went WiBBLe! at the idea of 5m GP.

It would get old pretty quickly though always fighting the same opponents. GA is supposed to get us away from that limitation of regular arena.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited February 2019
    If I offended you in any way, please understand that is not my intention.

I started with making a joke because I can without a doubt say that many in this game will never understand this problem, and on the forum even less so.

It is a crazy thought because again, not many people will be in your situation and it's hard to imagine a problem like this for many of us. The slope is steep as you go up from 4.5M and the number of players getting that high is few and far between.

I was simply remarking to that effect and trying to open further discussion. At no point did I say or suggest you just deal with it in any way.
  • @Kyno Apologies on my side, probably lack of sleep due to my sons not sleeping well that made me way more strongly than I should have. Again sorry since it appears I misread your early post. (no offense taken !).

@dominiQC a bug report you say ? I probably should indeed, I was more used to fill in feedbacks on forum than on tickets but you are probably right about this.

@Rath_Tarr yea that was my point, there isn't much competitivness nor fun fighting the same opponent over and over again (like arena after 3 years lol).
  • As soon as you become a member of the Top 10 players club, it is highly likely that PVP matchmaking will be matching you against the same group of 10 people to choose from, so even if you face in the first GA 3, in the second GA another 3, and in the third one the last 3, in any subsequent round, it will be hypothetically impossible not to face a repeat no matter how perfect the matching algorithm.

And honestly, you strive to be top 10 as to challenge for that top 3 or topmost spot, so why should you be unhappy to face the best of the very best all day?
  • Dayma
    260 posts Member
    Altazarus wrote: »
    And honestly, you strive to be top 10 as to challenge for that top 3 or topmost spot, so why should you be unhappy to face the best of the very best all day?

Honestly its not higher GP = better player. At least not passing a certain point in time. (because Tuskens and Mob enforcer never really were that usefull even with insane mods.)
    What matter is past 4.7M (roughly) is zeta number and mods quality / optimisation and of course strategy on the board.

And trust me, at 5.2M GP i'm FAR from being in the top 10. I dont even think I'm still in the top 30 at all.

On the same note there are lots of player with lower GP than me but with higher number of Mods +20+ speed or 6E mods.
    GP isnt absolute (or at least shouldnt be at some point).

As I said for example in TW they make matchmaking with around 10% GP difference. (in our case its around 24M GP difference) so you can fight a pool of approx 15 guilds. so you encounter the same guild like once every 4 months which isnt an issue at all !
  • Dayma wrote: »
    Altazarus wrote: »

Honestly its not higher GP = better player. At least not passing a certain point in time. (because Tuskens and Mob enforcer never really were that usefull even with insane mods.)
    What matter is past 4.7M (roughly) is zeta number and mods quality / optimisation and of course strategy on the board.

And trust me, at 5.2M GP i'm FAR from being in the top 10. I dont even think I'm still in the top 30 at all.

On the same note there are lots of player with lower GP than me but with higher number of Mods +20+ speed or 6E mods.
    GP isnt absolute (or at least shouldnt be at some point).

As I said for example in TW they make matchmaking with around 10% GP difference. (in our case its around 24M GP difference) so you can fight a pool of approx 15 guilds. so you encounter the same guild like once every 4 months which isnt an issue at all !

You should join TI (or Wallet Warrior) to see who they fight every TW
  • Dayma
    260 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    You should join TI (or Wallet Warrior) to see who they fight every TW
    Yes they fight us. I'm at Mighty Chlorians.
    So we just chew WW every times. And won against TI 2/3 as well.
    Only Bravo gives us a real fight. So try again ?
    Even though our last match ups since end of november have been across top 10-15.

So yea I know full well who they are fighting with.