Fleet arena issue

I was at #3 about 7 minutes before payout.
Was going to lock myself in but got “you are already in battle”.
So I wait and keep spamming to attack #4, just for practice. I can’t even scratch #2 and #1
Finally I get in to attack #4.
I figured my fleet wasn’t beat.
So I casually win taking most of 5 min.
At payout I find myself at #5.
So, what happened?
#5 must have beat me and we swap places. Ok, but system didn’t prompt “your rank has changed “, nor it took account of me beating #4.
I went into battle at #3 (from games perspective) so I didn’t get #4.
So there is some kind of sequence of evets that got out of order. My guess is, attacking a rank “higher” than your is an “anomaly” that game has trouble properly sequencing with certain rare conditions.
Obviously reproducing it is difficult for me.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    A few things, you only get notified that your rank has changed as an "error" if your rank changed to a point where you cant attack that position.

If you drop from 3 to 5, you can attack a few of the same positions and as long as you ate selecting them you will get no "error".

There is an issue in fleet arena that when you are dropped but stay in the arena screen, you will not see your rank change in the upper spot, even though you may have been dropped. When at the higher numbers it's hard to see because the opponents you can attack are similar.

What I think happened was you were dropped lower than 5 and didnt realize that you clicked to attack 5 and won taking position 5.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    A few things, you only get notified that your rank has changed as an "error" if your rank changed to a point where you cant attack that position.

If you drop from 3 to 5, you can attack a few of the same positions and as long as you ate selecting them you will get no "error".

There is an issue in fleet arena that when you are dropped but stay in the arena screen, you will not see your rank change in the upper spot, even though you may have been dropped. When at the higher numbers it's hard to see because the opponents you can attack are similar.

What I think happened was you were dropped lower than 5 and didnt realize that you clicked to attack 5 and won taking position 5.

No, he was attacking 4. But he chose to take his time and win after payout, because he thought he was still at 3, so he got 5 at payout.
  • StarControl
    68 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    I think Kyno is saying that I thought i was attacking 4 but i was actually attacking 5 because screen didn’t update.
    And i was attacking 5 from like 6 or 7.
    I guess it is “possible”. I mean I don’t think that’s what happened. Its all same people in top 5 and we generally don’t hit each other out of top 5.
    If i want 3 and there is a guy with same payout at 3, I would get 4 or 5 first so it is an “honorable” competition and we both get at least 300 crystals.

But yes i stetched last battle to go beyond payout time.

Edit: i still think the issue is when attacking “up” sequencing can get messy.
  • Always hit the refresh button to make sure you are looking at the current state.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I think Kyno is saying that I thought i was attacking 4 but i was actually attacking 5 because screen didn’t update.
    And i was attacking 5 from like 6 or 7.
    I guess it is “possible”. I mean I don’t think that’s what happened. Its all same people in top 5 and we generally don’t hit each other out of top 5.
    If i want 3 and there is a guy with same payout at 3, I would get 4 or 5 first so it is an “honorable” competition and we both get at least 300 crystals.

But yes i stetched last battle to go beyond payout time.

Edit: i still think the issue is when attacking “up” sequencing can get messy.

Unless you just misread the number, you weren’t attacking a different spot than you thought. You were attacking 4, and the same person was in 4, but you were in 5, not in 3 like you thought. Since you could attack 4 from either 3 or 5, the game did not warn you that the rank had changed.
  • cannonfodder_iv
    992 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    The game doesn't warn you if your rank has changed, just if your opponents rank has changed. And I can confirm the visual bug where your rank in the top left hand corner remains unchanged if you drop ranks while in the Matches screen spamming the refresh button. Here's the likely sequence of events:
    1. OP is at 3 attempting to lock but is in battle. Screen says OPs rank is 3. Visible ranks are 1,2,4.
    2. OP is defeated, dropping to 5, but top left says OPs rank is still 3 (it's a bug - not sure how known it is)
    3. OP refreshes matches screen with eyes locked on 4th rank. Visible ranks are either 1,2,4 or 1,3,4 at this point.
    4. Either way, OP is probably locked into 4 and selects it for battle, Admittedly holding the fight until after payout.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    It does warn you if you change ranks, but only if you can no longer attack the rank you are trying to attack. If you were at 5 and trying to attack 1 but in the meantime got knocked to 9, you will get the message “your rank has changed” because you can no longer reach 1 from 9. But if you were at 3 trying to attack 1 and got knocked to 5, you wouldn’t get that message because you could still hit 1. Which wouldn’t be a problem because you would still wind up at 1. It’s only a problem in the very narrow case where you were previously ahead of the rank you were attacking but had been bumped behind it without realizing.
  • Thank you Liath and cannonfodder.

I did hit 4, i didn’t misread. I probably quickly glanced at my rank, I was sure it was still a 3 but I was definitely more concerned about getting into battle asap.
    Maybe a little visual bug like cannonfodder says.

Either way, I thank you for explaining of what probably happened.
    And it all makes sense.