It seems to be all about Speed

Prev1
I've reached high enough rank in my Squad Arena that all I'm seeing now is JK Revan squads - and what's more the same JK Revan squad over and over. And to be honest, I'm the same. I'm using the same Revan squad as everyone else. So all that seems to determine the winner of any match now is who has the better mods. That's it.
I just had a mirror match game - everything was identical between the two squads other than our mods. The match started and my opponent managed to kill one of my characters before I even had a turn. How boring is that? The game is no longer about squad construction or "rock paper scissors" as some on this forum claim, it's about who has been lucky enough to find the better mods. We might as well just compare mods at the start of each match and declare the winner based on that. The result will be the same.

I'm now actively trying to get knocked down in the Arena by about 50 places or so. The rewards will not be as good but there was still some variety in squads there so at least the game will be more interesting to play. Because at the moment, it's just about mods and speed and that is just dull.

I really hope something can be done to salvage this situation.

Replies

• It’s always been about speed and mods.

On a related topic give us 6x or 8x in game speed for QoL
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I am not the fastest on my shard and I win very consistently.

Yes speed is important, turn order and other stats can really help turn the tide in a battle.
  • It’s always been about speed and mods.

It wasn't when I was ~100 in Squad Arena. I was seeing a lot of different squads then. Now all I see is Revan, Bastila, Jolee, General Kenobi and Grand Master Yoda. Every opponent has the same squad.
    And I fear that the Devs plan is to bring out a few new characters to form a squad that will just walk all over the above characters. And then after that, they'll bring out a squad to walk all over the previous characters, etc.
    So all that happens is that it continues to be about the Mods.

Instead, why not try to make a variety of squads that are all roughly balanced? If it really was "rock paper scissors" as some claim, we'd still need to farm loads of characters (and therefore some people would still spend) because we'd have to alternate which squad we used in each Arena match. But we don't. We just farm the latest uber-squad, use our mods to determine the winners for the next few weeks, and then repeat when the newer uber-squad comes out.
    It's tedious and dull.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Whether all the teams in arena are the same is a completely different issue than whether it’s “all about speed/mods.”

When there are multiple teams competing at the top, it’s still all about mods. The people at 100-200 during these times have one of the same teams as those at 1-10. The reason they don’t make it to top 10 is mods.

When there is one team dominating arena, it may or may not be all about mods. Revan teams can beat faster/better modded Revan teams, so in this case it’s not all about speed. Back in the day when everyone was running Wiggs, getting that opening shot off first was extremely important, so at that time it was all about speed.
  • Liath wrote: »
    Whether all the teams in arena are the same is a completely different issue than whether it’s “all about speed/mods.”

But it's all about mods precisely BECAUSE everyone is running the same team.
    If we had the options of multiple squads all being equally viable, it would NOT be all about mods.

What I'm saying is that the second sentence above is preferable. It's much more interesting to play and that makes for a better game.

If the Devs could give us balanced squads instead of power-creeping every few weeks, mods would still matter but they'd matter less and we'd have a better game to play.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    If teams are more balanced and mods aren't that important because of it, what would seperate a top100 player from a top5 player?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Stenun wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »

If we had the options of multiple squads all being equally viable, it would NOT be all about mods.

What I'm saying is that the second sentence above is preferable. It's much more interesting to play and that makes for a better game.

If the Devs could give us balanced squads instead of power-creeping every few weeks, mods would still matter but they'd matter less and we'd have a better game to play.

Except, again, that’s not true. If slower Revan can beat faster Revan, then it is, in fact, NOT all about mods, unlike other metas in which it was.

Except, again, that’s not true. If slower Revan can beat faster Revan, then it is, in fact, NOT all about mods, unlike other metas in which it was.

I have never seen a mirror match being won by the slower team. Ever. No matter the squad. And definitely not Revan.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    U

I have never seen a mirror match being won by the slower team. Ever. No matter the squad. And definitely not Revan.

Lots of faster Revan teams on my shard. I have to go through them on a daily basis. This statement is preposterous.
  • Stenun wrote: »

Really? You're doing something wrong then. The speed advantage can be easily overcome by being smarter than the AI.

Does this mean that on your shard the fastest Revan sits, unmovable, in the top spot?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

youtube search: revan mirror match, 4th and 5th result.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfOv6HaRkHk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h88SfMym_ug

With all due respect, if you're just starting to fight Revan mirrors, then you don't have much basis for this comment. Many of us who have fought a high number of Revan mirrors understand that Revan's opening speed (and generally the overall speed of each member of the team) is important, but by no means defines who wins the match. I win Revan matches every day where I'm the slower Revan sitting at a turtle like 305. Sometimes up to 10 of them across two accounts on two different shards (which is actually pretty interesting from a comparison perspective). So 100s of Revan mirrors, many against faster teams, many having won.

I've fought mirrors against slower teams and lost on offense. Revan modding is not 100% about speed. That being said, if you're not rocking 6e mods against someone who is, you can expect to lose. And you should, because you haven't put in the effort. As one of my favorite shard mates likes to say about mods - "you have to kiss a lot of frogs"

• jhbuchholz wrote: »

Really? You're doing something wrong then. The speed advantage can be easily overcome by being smarter than the AI.

Does this mean that on your shard the fastest Revan sits, unmovable, in the top spot?

Dunno, not bothered looking. As I said above, I'm around the ~50 mark. And everything there comes down to the mods.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

Dunno, not bothered looking. As I said above, I'm around the ~50 mark. And everything there comes down to the mods.

It always comes down to mods, but that doesn't mean you can't win with inferior mods.
  • leef wrote: »
    It always comes down to mods

And that's precisely what I'm complaining about. :smile:
    It would be a much better game if it did NOT "always come down to mods".
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

It wouldn't, they introduced mods for a reason.

Agreed. As frustrating as mods are they make things like mirror matches much less frustrating than they used to be.
  • Since you now know the true name of this game is SW Galaxy of Mods, it’s time to start farming them mods.

Imagine the other scenario where there were no mods and it’s a RNG coin flip every time for mirror matches. That’s what you’re asking for if mods don’t matter.
  • jhbuchholz wrote: »

Agreed. As frustrating as mods are they make things like mirror matches much less frustrating than they used to be.

But if they gave us more balanced squads, instead of power creeping in a new one every few weeks, there would be fewer mirror matches.
    The reason mods are deciding matches right now is because everyone is running the same squad. And the reason everyone is running the same squad is because it's the most powerful.
    If we have more squads of the same power then they'd be fewer mirror matches and fewer games where it just comes down to the mods.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

But if they gave us more balanced squads, instead of power creeping in a new one every few weeks, there would be fewer mirror matches.
    The reason mods are deciding matches right now is because everyone is running the same squad. And the reason everyone is running the same squad is because it's the most powerful.
    If we have more squads of the same power then they'd be fewer mirror matches and fewer games where it just comes down to the mods.

i'll ask again:
    If teams are more balanced and mods aren't that important because of it, what would seperate a top100 player from a top5 player?

• Liath
    5140 posts Member

i'll ask again:

OP wants the answer to be nothing since he’s currently a top100 player and would like the chance to be a top5 player.
  • The game (since I started in early 2017) has always been about who has the better mods for each character, when it was "Rock, Paper, Scissors" you didn't necessarily have to out speed the other team (if you had the right line up) you just had to out gun them. Before the last Revan event I was holding in the top 30 consistently with my CLS/Chewbacca team. I don't have god mods, I just had the right strategy to beat (almost) any team that was in front of me.
    I think the real issue is since the last Revan event there are too many Revans and no one can climb (easily) because the top 100's are all the same Revan teams.
  • Huatimus wrote: »
    Imagine the other scenario where there were no mods and it’s a RNG coin flip every time for mirror matches. That’s what you’re asking for if mods don’t matter.

No I'm not.
    You either haven't read the thread or you are presenting a straw man of my argument.
    I am NOT asking for "a coin flip", I have been quite clear about what I am asking for but I will say it yet again.

I am asking for more squads to be balanced to give us more options in the Arena. That would create fewer mirror matches even if mods didn't exist.
    Give the players more options about what teams to use and don't power creep in a new more over-powered squad every few weeks.

Some people on these forums sometimes talk about the game being "rock paper scissors" but it's not. However if it was then it would be an improvement on what it is now. We would farm multiple squads because we could never be sure what we might have to attack next. We would need a strong Rock squad, a strong Paper Squad and a strong Scissors squad so we'd farm them all.
    But all that happens now is we farm the latest power squad every few weeks, everyone then runs the same team and only the mods make any difference.

In my experience mirror matches still don't come down to just mods. Mods remove the frustrating coin flip aspect. You know going in that your 290 speed Revan isn't going to go before your opponents 315 speed Revan. So you're not frustrated when you go second. But because the AI is limited it's easy to overcome the speed difference through superior strategy.

I'll concede that superior strategy only takes you so far and vastly inferior mods will sink you every time. In that case I refer to leef's question and add, why shouldn't those that invested heavily on mod farming (you don't 'luck' into 30 great mods) be rewarded with superior teams?
  • Is this the first time you've got this high? It's always been like this the higher you get, ie less variety. CLS the worst I remember, but probably because I didn't have him!
    i'll ask again:

Sorry, I honestly thought you were being rhetorical so I didn't bother answering.

If there were, say, 10 balanced teams, then what would make a difference would be things like:
    - players who knew which team was best against which opposition
    - players who could make a slight change in their tactics if they come up against a slightly different squad
    - players who knew the mechanics and tactics of the game better
    - and, yes, mods.

But all we have now is point 4. That's the only thing that matters.
    OP wants the answer to be nothing since he’s currently a top100 player and would like the chance to be a top5 player.

Please don't make assumptions about me.
    Particularly ones which are demonstrably not true as I have already stated that I am dropping down in the Arena deliberately because that makes for a more interesting game when there is more variety in opponents. If I cared about being Top 5, I wouldn't be doing that.
  • CHFC22 wrote: »
    Is this the first time you've got this high? It's always been like this the higher you get, ie less variety. CLS the worst I remember, but probably because I didn't have him!

If it has always been this way, maybe it's time for a change now? :smile:
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    just get a better rock. Mine also keeps tigers away
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Mods are one of my favorite mechanisms in the game. It allows the player to essentially customize thier own character to an extent. If you don't have good mods you can't expect to hold in the top 20, that's how it is and I hope that is how it will stay.
    Before the past Revan event the arena was pretty balanced, there where some Revan teams, a number of Traya's, some CLS teams, and those select few who are running NS and staying in the top 20. It was balanced because each team had a chance at beating the other, Traya beat Revan, Revan beat everything, CLS could beat other CLS, Traya and NS, NS could beat Traya, CLS, and had a shot at beating Revan. There was a nice balance and variety in the arena... Then Revan dropped again and 95% of the top 75 are Revan teams.
    All I want is for there to be balance and variety like there was before the last Revan event. I don't want it to be 95% the same team in arena (maybe about 50% the of the same teams in arena), I just want a little variety.