Grand Arena matchmaking

Prev1
So, I would like to know how pitting a person (me) rank in the 500s vs a person in the 100s, also ships me in the 100s while he/she in the 50s: fair?

Our GP is similar yes, but clearly looking at the roster I see a dolphin/whale. This player has very precise teams at GL12, while I have three characters in total at GL12. He has excellent meta teams while I do not.

Is the Grand Arena F2P vs. P2W?

Replies

• Options
    I'm totally free to play and place top 5 when I'm not busy. My opponent this GA is top 500 with awful teams. We've spent our resources differently is all, but it is fair all the same.
  • Options
    Your message reads like you expect them to individually checks rosters.
  • Options
    I would label it more so as a collector vs pvp focussed than p2p vs ftp really.
    People can be p2p and still rank low in arena due to time constraints and other factors and at the same time f2p can rank 1st in arena everyday.Its simply a player's approach to the game
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    Should be more aligned with g12,zeta’s or arena ranking in my opinion. GP really has nothing to do with how people lineup in comparison to each other.
  • Options
    Well they could use 2 parameters in the algo instead of just GP, GP probably is best, then it could try to also match up Ship and Arena ranks as close as possible.

Everyone in my group has very close GP so happy it went that far given past complaints
  • Options
    love the whining. how can a collector even dream to win vs a pvp oriented account i do not know. we all start at the same level its just that people make different resource investment decisions. remember, GA is the ultimate account vs account testing ground.
  • Options
    Gear is a fair point, but I don't think arena ranks are a useful metric. I'm on relatively new arena shards, where it's still easy to break into top ranks. My current GA opponent is on an older shard. He ranks around 500 in squad and 200 in fleet, but he has 8 zeta characters compared to my 3. And unlike me, he also has Revan, GMY and CLS. zRevan and zCLS, that is.

He looks like he might be F2P whereas I'm a small dolphin (more of a porpoise really), but he has more than 7 months of playtime on me according to swgoh.gg. There are so many different factors at play that I can see why CG simply uses GP for matchmaking. And as long as fleet is included the way it is now, I'm okay with that. If I can win just one round of out of three, like I did last time, I'm happy.
  • Options
    It needs to consider More than GP.

It really needs to only considers characters over g10. Anything less than that just isn’t useful.

It also needs to look at big impact characters: revan, treya, thrawn etc.

This would make things a lot closer. My chief concern with GA at present is you can tell who is going to win before you even start.
  • Options
    First off, I love the snarky comebacks people throw in when someone points out an obvious imbalance in the force. This doesn't help anyone.

Secondly, we have better methods/resources to fairly pair players, like quests, achievements etc. I don't know why nobody has mentioned this..

GP is one way to measure someone's power, but specific quests and achievements seem to be better dialated to the actual method or strategy said player is obtaining individual GP. Many of which are rewarded/completed upon unlocking meta characters.

I think it would help eliminate the PvP shortcut player's (myself included) advantage that has been used to gain an edge over other, broader focused players.

Just my two cents..
  • Options
    This has been brought up over and over again and I have a feeling that nothing will ever change since CG doesn't care.
    Discord bots are alrdy doing a good job of bringing up the most important stuff into comparison such as G10-12 chars, zetas, 10+/15+/20+ speed mods, arena ranks, Traya/Revan yes or no, etc.
    Coming up with a point system that evaluates each of these criteria for a better matchmaking shouldn't be an impossibility.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Kameleonic wrote: »
    So, I would like to know how pitting a person (me) rank in the 500s vs a person in the 100s, also ships me in the 100s while he/she in the 50s: fair?

Our GP is similar yes, ...

That's exactly why it's fair.
    ...but clearly looking at the roster I see a dolphin/whale. This player has very precise teams at GL12, while I have three characters in total at GL12. He has excellent meta teams while I do not.

Did he pay just to in top-100? With all those f2p players at top ranks, I doubt you are facing a whale. He just seemed more focusedwhen developing his roster than you are.
    Is the Grand Arena F2P vs. P2W?
    Even if it was I would see nothing wrong with that as long as GP match as well.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Well they could use 2 parameters in the algo instead of just GP, ...

I don't believe GP is the only parameter. I believe they mix players with strong rosters with players with weaker rosters (same GP more or less) on purpose.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    it has nothing to do with p2p vs f2p. Bringing that up is only detrimental to the discussion imo.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    This game has nothing to do with skills. The sooner you accept it the better.
  • Options

troll?
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

Depends on how you define skill ;)
  • IDinDooNuffin
    459 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    While your arena ranking is not an excuse for your matchup since you can be number 1 in arena with just 5 gold ans zetad characters... I understand the gripe.

Especially since before tw we were expected to inflate our garbage for extra GP in TB. If you joined a year later than I. You did not do that. So its a huge mismatch.

Only way I can see to fix it. Is pre select a roster in signup phase. Select 40 toons and then that GP gets matched up for GA.

The code is already in game (when select toons to deploy in TB there is a counter of GP).

Perhaps some of our more programming literate friends on the board can tell me how that wouldnt work (seriously if it wont id like to know so I can try and think of another solution)

Of course there would be a minimum toon GP selection like in TW... That way you wont have squads of lvl 1 toons fighting eachother... Or maybe thatd be fun too.
  • Options
    So my grand arena pairing, he has all 4 line ups of toons in front lines at gear 12 and almost all have zetas. He/she has a zeta on every single Phoenix member. So I have 5 gear 12 total. He has at least 20. Seem fair?

And if you point at GP, I used to balance out my roster back a year ago or so when they had that other tournament thing we're you needed to keep going, only using each toon once. I don't even want to try Grand arena at this point.
  • Options
    Honestly, does anyone here believe that one single number is able to compare the REAL strength of players, especially if much things valued equal even if they are not?

If we would have only five toons perhaps the GP would allow us to match it together.

Actually the game has hundreds of toons and ships, and their abilities are also different but the GP calculates it like all are equal. A level 8 skill of CLS increases your GP by the same value a level 8 CUP skill does. Makes it sense? Only if EVERYBODY would have the exact same toons.
    More gear leads to a similiar situation and so on.

And if this isn't enough of GP-"diversity" the mods come around. Every mod is different, but all mods are calculated into GP like they would be equal. It doesn't count what data they increase, it's only about level and stars.

So while it is out of the question to set specific values for random-generated things like mods, it would be a huge step into a more fair matchmaking if CG could give at least for every single skill and gear, the toons and ships have, a unique GP-value instead this generic one.

I know this would be a huge amount of work to revaluate it, but they have to do it just once to repair this "old" mistake. Then every new toon could have it's own unique skill/gear-values for GP by release.
  • Options
    Seems like the only players that have a problem with using GP to match make in GA are those that didn't do a good job of developing their roster... All the players that focused on building lean rosters deserve to get those easy wins in GA cause they worked hard and stayed focused on only the best toons.

I know it's fashionable to play the victim card, but you made the choice to inflate your GP with worthless toons, so stop whining and start building a better roster.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Only way I can see to fix it. Is pre select a roster in signup phase. Select 40 toons and then that GP gets matched up for GA.

The code is already in game (when select toons to deploy in TB there is a counter of GP).

Perhaps some of our more programming literate friends on the board can tell me how that wouldnt work (seriously if it wont id like to know so I can try and think of another solution)

Almost anything can be coded. What you describe seems to be relatively simple to implement. However, the question is: Is this really what we want? Isn't it much more fun to just test your complete roster against another player's complete roster? Arena is just a test of your best 5-character team. Grand arena is a test of your complete roster. I actually like it this way.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Bjsmithmd wrote: »
    So my grand arena pairing, he has all 4 line ups of toons in front lines at gear 12 and almost all have zetas. He/she has a zeta on every single Phoenix member. So I have 5 gear 12 total. He has at least 20. Seem fair?

And if you point at GP, I used to balance out my roster back a year ago or so when they had that other tournament thing we're you needed to keep going, only using each toon once. I don't even want to try Grand arena at this point.

If you have matching total GP it seems fair, yes. It may not be an even match, but that's not the same thing. Fair and even are two different things.

A good strategy can make up for disadvantages in your roster. Today my alt with 29 g12 characters won the match against a player with 42 g12 characters. Yes, my fleet was stronger, and my defensive fleet survived, but still my opponent would have had to score 65 of the max 66 points in that fleet battle to tie my score and win by tie breaker.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    rokota wrote: »
    Honestly, does anyone here believe that one single number is able to compare the REAL strength of players, especially if much things valued equal even if they are not?

If we would have only five toons perhaps the GP would allow us to match it together.

A. I don't believe GP is the only parameter used during matchmaking.
    B. I don't believe the game designers aim to match players in groups of 8 of similar strength. I do believe, it's quite intentional, that you see this mix of players with many strong characters/teams and players with only few.

• Options
    If you perform so poorly in squad and fleet arena, why did you expect to be successful in grand arena? I mean it has arena in the name.

Do you also complain that the people at the top of your shard are doing better because they have better characters with better gear and faster mods?
  • Options
    rokota wrote: »

Actually the game has hundreds of toons and ships, and their abilities are also different but the GP calculates it like all are equal. A level 8 skill of CLS increases your GP by the same value a level 8 CUP skill does. Makes it sense? Only if EVERYBODY would have the exact same toons.
    More gear leads to a similiar situation and so on.

And if this isn't enough of GP-"diversity" the mods come around. Every mod is different, but all mods are calculated into GP like they would be equal. It doesn't count what data they increase, it's only about level and stars.

So while it is out of the question to set specific values for random-generated things like mods, it would be a huge step into a more fair matchmaking if CG could give at least for every single skill and gear, the toons and ships have, a unique GP-value instead this generic one.

I know this would be a huge amount of work to revaluate it, but they have to do it just once to repair this "old" mistake. Then every new toon could have it's own unique skill/gear-values for GP by release.

Assigning unique GP values to every skill would be completely subjective. Sure, some skills are better than others, whether in a vacuum or in a set team, but there is a ton of room for subjectivity beyond that. Mods are the same way. Sure, speed is king--unless you're going for a slower, high tenacity nest, or a super high offense, speed be darned grand master yoda, or a king of potency resistance trooper, etc.... So how do you evaluate optimal mods? Plus, since your idea is based on protecting peoples' choices on how to farm/gear, let's extend that to mods. Should mods have a different value based on who they are placed on? That 25 speed secondary mod is, after all, more useful in pvp on CLS than CUP, so why punish the person who wants the fastest CUP in the galaxy by making them face someone with more optimal modding?
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    Well they could use 2 parameters in the algo instead of just GP, ...

I don't believe GP is the only parameter. I believe they mix players with strong rosters with players with weaker rosters (same GP more or less) on purpose.
    I believe your belief is unbelievable. :p

1) Defining "stronger" and "weaker" rosters is easier said than done - GP is their best try so far and it is far from perfect
    2) Last 3v3 when I checked, the total GP spread for my bracket was 0.0005% or 891 GP .. not much wiggle room
    3) Far more likely they have/will start adding GA win/loss ratios as a modifier
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    3) Far more likely they have/will start adding GA win/loss ratios as a modifier

this would suck.
  • Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Seems like the only players that have a problem with using GP to match make in GA are those that didn't do a good job of developing their roster... All the players that focused on building lean rosters deserve to get those easy wins in GA cause they worked hard and stayed focused on only the best toons.

I know it's fashionable to play the victim card, but you made the choice to inflate your GP with worthless toons, so stop whining and start building a better roster.

I disagree with this. GP is mostly arbitrary at this point. I will admit that using GP to match people is better than some other suggestions that I see, but when they developed GP, it wasn’t focused on comparing things like ships to characters. I’m one that’s suffering from an inflated ship GP. My character roster is fairly lean like most others that do well in GA, but I’m about 200k-300k behind each opponent in squad GP.

The current GP system also doesn’t take into account the power creep that’s happened in the game. As an example, geo spy has 3 abilities that are just meh and CLS has all great abilities. If I were to max gear both toons, max all of spy’s abilities, and max any 3 of CLS’s abilities (not putting a zeta), they’re GP would be almost identical. Is there anyone that would take spy over this semi-developed CLS?

For clarity, I am in no way defending the OP because I think his argument is absurd.