• BubbaFett wrote: »
    Ph1l wrote: »
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    Droideka wrote: »
    Why should we set defenses if only to give the other player more credits? We are not buddies or friends, we are enemies, and I see the reasoning behind some of the people here defending their choices of not wanting to help their opponent. They already get a free win, why should they get more?

They shouldn't definitely get more, they should have the possibility to get more..... You want to dictate what the other player gets then man up, set some defence and fight him for credits and rewards..... If you don't like GA, then don't sign up...... Period....

Not letting others dictate how you play =/= wanting to dictate what the other player gets

No.... It's not the same, it's not the same at all..... Like it or not, GA is designed as a competitive gameplay mode.... If you don't want to compete, then don't join.....

Denying rewards to your competitors by not setting defence is poor sportsmanship at best....

Competitive mode would suggest that there is some sort of lvl playing field here. This mode every time without fail matches me with 4 players with both raven and traya teams I have nether nor do the other 3 players getting shafted by this stupid matching system. You say it destroys your fun when players don't set defence and your correct it's about as much fun as being out matched by half the lignup and only ever fighting for 5th or worse or matching against someone you stand zero chance against. In short it's being destroyed for both sides and it's CG that make the game complain to them not other players.
    And yes when I get matched against the players with raven and traya I set no defence in the full knowledge it denies them resources why should I help them grow even stronger?
    And if matched against one of the others I can fight I do set defence

The whole purpose of the game is to build a strong roster and use it in battle..... The playing field is completely level.... Just because you made choices that didn't lead you to getting Revan doesnt mean the game pay by field isn't or wasn't level.....

No the fact the game matches me against them makes it unlevel there is no need for the game to do that is the point that you just can't see from that highhorse your on. Doesn't the fact they had to change the matching for TW not show you they can and have gotten it wrong before?

TW mismatches saw guilds miles apart pitted against eachother..... Completely different t situation....

Anyways, matchmaking is not the topic of this thread...... There are dozens of other ones dedicated to that purpose ....

And that's where you are incorrect the matching is the root of the problem with not setting defence (100% the reason for me and others I talk to about it) (I know I don't speak for everyone that does this)
    But fix the matching to make the mode fair players would engage with it properly. There for they would set defence and wouldn't be "ATTACKING WITHOUT SETTING DEFENCE" as per the topic ; )
  • Vilhelm_der_Toller
    31 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Why should we set defenses if only to give the other player more credits? We are not buddies or friends, we are enemies, and I see the reasoning behind some of the people here defending their choices of not wanting to help their opponent. They already get a free win, why should they get more?

They shouldn't definitely get more, they should have the possibility to get more..... You want to dictate what the other player gets then man up, set some defence and fight him for credits and rewards..... If you don't like GA, then don't sign up...... Period....

Not letting others dictate how you play =/= wanting to dictate what the other player gets

No.... It's not the same, it's not the same at all..... Like it or not, GA is designed as a competitive gameplay mode.... If you don't want to compete, then don't join.....

Denying rewards to your competitors by not setting defence is poor sportsmanship at best....

Competitive mode would suggest that there is some sort of lvl playing field here. This mode every time without fail matches me with 4 players with both raven and traya teams I have nether nor do the other 3 players getting shafted by this stupid matching system. You say it destroys your fun when players don't set defence and your correct it's about as much fun as being out matched by half the lignup and only ever fighting for 5th or worse or matching against someone you stand zero chance against. In short it's being destroyed for both sides and it's CG that make the game complain to them not other players.
    And yes when I get matched against the players with raven and traya I set no defence in the full knowledge it denies them resources why should I help them grow even stronger?

The whole purpose of the game is to build a strong roster and use it in battle..... The playing field is completely level.... Just because you made choices that didn't lead you to getting Revan doesnt mean the game pay by field isn't or wasn't level.....

No the fact the game matches me against them makes it unlevel there is no need for the game to do that is the point that you just can't see from that highhorse your on. Doesn't the fact they had to change the matching for TW not show you they can and have gotten it wrong before?

TW mismatches saw guilds miles apart pitted against eachother..... Completely different t situation....

Anyways, matchmaking is not the topic of this thread...... There are dozens of other ones dedicated to that purpose ....

And that's where you are incorrect the matching is the root of the problem with not setting defence (100% the reason for me and others I talk to about it) (I know I don't speak for everyone that does this)
    But fix the matching to make the mode fair players would engage with it properly. There for they would set defence and wouldn't be "ATTACKING WITHOUT SETTING DEFENCE" as per the topic ; )

I agree. Matchmaking leaves a lot to be desired. In this current GA match, my opponent has more zetas and gear 12 in a single defensive squad than I have on my entire roster. They have multiple similar squads left for attacking. Where is the fun in this? Why deploy a hopeless defense?

Improving matchmaking would be one way to address this situation. An alternative approach would be to provide greater incentive to defense (I posted some of this earlier but am reposting for additional consideration).

Right now the incentives for attacking are:*
    • Opportunity to earn banners
    • Opportunity to earn credits for each successful battle
    • Make progress is GA quests
    • Opportunity to test my squad set up
    • Ability to customize my squad to the specific defenses
    • The fun of playing an attack and wiping out your opponent

Incentives for defense:*
    • Guaranteed banners earned

It is important to note that neither source of banners is enough to ensure victory by itself.

I would offer that increasing the incentives for defense would reduce the occurrence of empty-defense strategy. Even (or especially) if the matchmaking is poor, there need to be incentive to allocate resources to that mode.

*I'm open for other incentives that I may have overlooked.

(Edited to note that defensive banners earned are guaranteed while those on offense are not)
    Post edited by Vilhelm_der_Toller on
  • Ph1l wrote: »

I agree. Matchmaking leaves a lot to be desired. In this current GA match, my opponent has more zetas and gear 12 in a single defensive squad than I have on my entire roster. They have multiple similar squads left for attacking. Where is the fun in this? Why deploy a hopeless defense?

Improving matchmaking would be one way to address this situation. An alternative approach would be to provide greater incentive to defense (I posted some of this earlier but am reposting for additional consideration).

Right now the incentives for attacking are:*
    • Opportunity to earn credits for each successful battle
    • Make progress is GA quests
    • Opportunity to test my squad set up
    • Ability to customize my squad to the specific defenses
    • The fun of playing an attack and wiping out your opponent

Incentives for defense:*

It is important to note that neither source of banners is enough to ensure victory by itself.

I would offer that increasing the incentives for defense would reduce the occurrence of empty-defense strategy. Even (or especially) if the matchmaking is poor, there need to be incentive to allocate resources to that mode.

*I'm open for other incentives that I may have overlooked.

100% agree
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Just give 100k credits for setting defence and GG? :D

That's true that if there was a reward for setting defence, we would see a lot more defences set.
  • leef wrote: »
    VonZant wrote: »
    Well I dont have time to look up the quote but they said GA was supposed to be their ultimate competitive game mode, or something similar.
    So, in order to encourage that spirit:

FIRST: Put a message on the signup page with a confirmation popup that says something like:

THIS IS A COMPETITIVE GAME MODE. YOU CAN WIN OR LOSE. IT WILL BE DIFFICULT AND YOU ARE EXPECTED TO PARTICIPATE. IF YOU DO NOT YOUR REWARDS WILL BE SEVERYLY LIMITED.

Well, if you don't set a def you'll loose by default. What more can you expect in a "competative game mode"? The rewards for the losers are worse aswell.
    i mean .. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And your argument for willingly preventing others from playing the game is what? Spell it out for me? Justify it?

Oh well too bad ? Best answer I could give you won...deal with it ?

Lvl playing field?! That’s funny.

GA was intended to be competitive, but was designed poorly.
  • I will be honest and say I dislike this game mode as it actively works against the idea's CG stated when they made the changes to NS Zombie, that being that people should work on their whole rosters and not be rewarded for not gearing and leveling characters. This game mode not only goes against this basic principle but actively punishes people who have a broad and developed roster

This is one of the more interesting threads, and both sides make interesting point. Not setting defense is a true form of "protest" as it gets people to come to the forums like this and others to post about it. Thus bringing awareness to the issues at hand. At the end of the day not setting is a legal and valid move a player can make, while it does limit the "fun and enjoyment" of others, it is currently not banned and will continue until a change is made. By actually using this and having people create threads it may speed up the process of getting looked at.

I am one of the people with a broad roster at a decent level, and currently set teams on defense even though I will probably lose most match ups under the current matching system. I don't do this for the enjoyment of the other player as I don't know this person or owe them anything, I do this because it gives me a chance to win if the other person either cannot attack or somehow fails to beat my teams. Does this mean I should get nothing for rewards as was posted earlier, because if thats the case maybe I should start setting nothing since it "ruins" the game for others. I mean if I am going to lose and get nothing why should I not return the favor. Until the change the system to force defensive teams this will continue and belittling the people that do it is only going to make it worse, not better.

For the person that posted the definition of what a "game" is, it doesn't state that everyone has to have the same enjoyment or that a person has to ensure other people enjoy get enjoyment out of it either. So to quote the same argument used by people who have said to people like me, those who have worked on making their rosters stronger for things like TB's "If you don't enjoy it, then don't play".

There really is no way to "fix " this issue and make everyone happy as the player base is too large and has too many different goals. The best solution that I can see is the following

1) Change the match making system from GP to a balance of star rating and gear levels. We know this data can be pulled out of the game thanks to swgoh.gg being able to sort by these parameters. This will ensure people with similar rosters will be facing each other instead of the imbalance we have now when people who focused on ships (one defense and one attack node) have to face people who have 100k less ship GP and 100K more character GP

2) We have a squad selection tab for GA defense where players can set teams that will be used to auto deploy as needed. while some people will still protest and not set teams in here it will help eliminate the issue of "I forgot" or when real life gets busy.

• Ph1l
    59 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    I will be honest and say I dislike this game mode as it actively works against the idea's CG stated when they made the changes to NS Zombie, that being that people should work on their whole rosters and not be rewarded for not gearing and leveling characters. This game mode not only goes against this basic principle but actively punishes people who have a broad and developed roster

This is one of the more interesting threads, and both sides make interesting point. Not setting defense is a true form of "protest" as it gets people to come to the forums like this and others to post about it. Thus bringing awareness to the issues at hand. At the end of the day not setting is a legal and valid move a player can make, while it does limit the "fun and enjoyment" of others, it is currently not banned and will continue until a change is made. By actually using this and having people create threads it may speed up the process of getting looked at.

I am one of the people with a broad roster at a decent level, and currently set teams on defense even though I will probably lose most match ups under the current matching system. I don't do this for the enjoyment of the other player as I don't know this person or owe them anything, I do this because it gives me a chance to win if the other person either cannot attack or somehow fails to beat my teams. Does this mean I should get nothing for rewards as was posted earlier, because if thats the case maybe I should start setting nothing since it "ruins" the game for others. I mean if I am going to lose and get nothing why should I not return the favor. Until the change the system to force defensive teams this will continue and belittling the people that do it is only going to make it worse, not better.

For the person that posted the definition of what a "game" is, it doesn't state that everyone has to have the same enjoyment or that a person has to ensure other people enjoy get enjoyment out of it either. So to quote the same argument used by people who have said to people like me, those who have worked on making their rosters stronger for things like TB's "If you don't enjoy it, then don't play".

There really is no way to "fix " this issue and make everyone happy as the player base is too large and has too many different goals. The best solution that I can see is the following

1) Change the match making system from GP to a balance of star rating and gear levels. We know this data can be pulled out of the game thanks to swgoh.gg being able to sort by these parameters. This will ensure people with similar rosters will be facing each other instead of the imbalance we have now when people who focused on ships (one defense and one attack node) have to face people who have 100k less ship GP and 100K more character GP

2) We have a squad selection tab for GA defense where players can set teams that will be used to auto deploy as needed. while some people will still protest and not set teams in here it will help eliminate the issue of "I forgot" or when real life gets busy.

Finally someone that gets the protest point.
    With matching as is it's not fun for ether side, but at least it's now being spoken about by both sides gp is the worst and I might dare to say lazy way to do matching it was the root of the TW issue and same thing here.
    Fix the matching, fix the problem (again might not for everyone but most).
    But forced deploy of defence is not the fix required. (But would be the easy/lazy fix)
  • The simplist fix. If you set no defense, you are putting zero effort in towards winning. Therefore, you get zero rewards. That takes away the incentive to just sign up and put no effort in.

People get rewards for taking 0s on raids, not battling in TB, doing no battles in squad or fleet arena, etc. Why would Grand Arena be any different?
  • Surely the best thing to do is give credits for setting a defensive team. So If someone doesn't set a defence they get no bonus credits. Also, double the amount of banners for setting a defence so people have 0 chance of winning if the set no defence.

If people want to try the set no defence method of winning I'm sure people have plenty of toons who are very low gear.
  • Alpha901 wrote: »
    kiar1404 wrote: »
    My idea:
    - you can only attack spots where you placed a team on your side
    - credits will be given not after defeating a team but at the end of the round for each cleared spot

That's way too logical for this forum. Get out. lol
    Sorry ... OK - I'm out ;)
  • ThisYeezy wrote: »
    The simplist fix. If you set no defense, you are putting zero effort in towards winning. Therefore, you get zero rewards. That takes away the incentive to just sign up and put no effort in.

People get rewards for taking 0s on raids, not battling in TB, doing no battles in squad or fleet arena, etc. Why would Grand Arena be any different?

When you take a 0 in a raid, do not do squad or fleet battles, you don't hurt anyone but yourself..... As for TB, no decent guild is going to carry your dead weight around if you don't participate.....

As for GA, it's different, being too lazy to set a defence hurts your opponent......

To me, it's not about matchmaking or protesting (not setting defence isn't protesting), or about "legal moves" it's about common courtesy and respect for your fellow player....
  • A lot of the attitudes/justifications for actions/etc from people in this thread remind me so much of similar discussions from the GTA 5 forums and its 'glorious' player base

I hadn't realised that this game had sunk that low til now
    ThisYeezy wrote: »
    The simplist fix. If you set no defense, you are putting zero effort in towards winning. Therefore, you get zero rewards. That takes away the incentive to just sign up and put no effort in.

When you take a 0 in a raid, do not do squad or fleet battles, you don't hurt anyone but yourself..... As for TB, no decent guild is going to carry your dead weight around if you don't participate.....

As for GA, it's different, being too lazy to set a defence hurts your opponent......

To me, it's not about matchmaking or protesting (not setting defence isn't protesting), or about "legal moves" it's about common courtesy and respect for your fellow player....

And it's very clear from this thread who are the ones being affected by the crap matching and who are the ones benefiting from it. You want to talk respect where is the respect to are side of not being a punching bag for players we never stood a chance against?
    Where's the respect from cg to it's players/customers?
    Easy to only see things from one side.
    I know what affect my actions are having on the other side and am using that to double the outcry about the issue.
    But from what some are saying they definitely don't know what's it's like to suffer from the crap matching.
  • Ph1l wrote: »
    ThisYeezy wrote: »

And it's very clear from this thread who are the ones being affected by the crap matching and who are the ones benefiting from it. You want to talk respect where is the respect to are side of not being a punching bag for players we never stood a chance against?
    Where's the respect from cg to it's players/customers?
    Easy to only see things from one side.
    I know what affect my actions are having on the other side and am using that to double the outcry about the issue.
    But from what some are saying they definitely don't know what's it's like to suffer from the crap matching.

Again, it's not about matchmaking..... There are plenty of threads about GA matchmaking.... The place to make your point about matchmaking is in one of those.....

Being a poor sport and not setting def nice isn't going to fix matchmaking.... And poor matchmaking doesnt give you an excuse to be a poor sport.....

If you are just going to cry and take your ball and go home, then don't sign up in the first place.....
  • It's a strategy. If I know I will lose anyway, I go full offence to maximize my rewards. Its seems very selfish and greedy to get your rewards for winning AND prevent me from trying to earn my own rewards. Also, there really are times I get busy and just forget.

Finally, the best way to fix this is to change matchmaking. I'm tired of getting owned because I have every charecter at lvl 85, gs6-8, modded, and leveled ability to 3 (I stop at pink mats)
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Gazza1988 wrote: »
    Also, double the amount of banners for setting a defence so people have 0 chance of winning if the set no defence.

People already have zero chance of winning if they set no defense.
  • Here is an idea, limit each toon to 1 deployment each tournament. (If you use Revan in match 1, hes unavailable for matches 2 or 3)
    Sit back and watch the same people who are complaining about free wins start complaining that players (like me) with deep rosters have a unfair advantage.
    Make no mistake, people aren't upset about fair play, the just want a system in which they derive the most benefit.
  • Make no mistake, people aren't upset about fair play, the just want a system in which they derive the most benefit.

Actually a lot of people just want to play the game, use their roster and enjoy themselves

You have developed your roster a certain way, along lines that were good for you

Just because someone has developed it differently to you, you don't like that, think its unfair and so you wanna punish someone - you can't lash out at CG, so who else is there? Oh yes, your opponent

Misery enjoys company I guess
  • Also, have I mentioned that this system rewards sandbagging. Funny how all the people who preach fair play and being good sports support sandbagging.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Make no mistake, people aren't upset about fair play, the just want a system in which they derive the most benefit.
    Actually a lot of people just want to play the game, use their roster and enjoy themselves

This is true for pretty much everyone, both statements. They're not mutually exclusive.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • It's a strategy. If I know I will lose anyway, I go full offence to maximize my rewards. Its seems very selfish and greedy to get your rewards for winning AND prevent me from trying to earn my own rewards. Also, there really are times I get busy and just forget.

Finally, the best way to fix this is to change matchmaking. I'm tired of getting owned because I have every charecter at lvl 85, gs6-8, modded, and leveled ability to 3 (I stop at pink mats)

So you have tons of characters that you can't use to win on offence, but you refuse to put them down on defence so your opponent can get his rewards too?..... Not very sportsmanlike...... And certainly not a "strategy".....
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member

You have developed your roster a certain way, along lines that were good for you

Just because someone has developed it differently to you, you don't like that, think its unfair and so you wanna punish someone - you can't lash out at CG, so who else is there? Oh yes, your opponent

And how do you play the game? Upgrading characters. How do you do that? Receiving rewards. How do you do that? By making your opponent set a defense in GA that you already knew you could beat so that you can annihilate them and reap the most rewards possible.
  • Nihion wrote: »

And how do you play the game? Upgrading characters. How do you do that? Receiving rewards. How do you do that? By making your opponent set a defense in GA that you already knew you could beat so that you can annihilate them and reap the most rewards possible.

Nobody is "making" their opponent do anything..... Honestly, where do you come up with this stuff?
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    It's a strategy. If I know I will lose anyway, I go full offence to maximize my rewards. Its seems very selfish and greedy to get your rewards for winning AND prevent me from trying to earn my own rewards. Also, there really are times I get busy and just forget.

So you have tons of characters that you can't use to win on offence, but you refuse to put them down on defence so your opponent can get his rewards too?..... Not very sportsmanlike...... And certainly not a "strategy".....

It’s a strategy in the sense that you are taking a small amount of credits and playtime from your opponent. It’s mostly ineffective, but it’s worth depriving your opponent of 600k credits rather than giving them full rewards.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »

Nobody is "making" their opponent do anything..... Honestly, where do you come up with this stuff?

Most people here, such as you, would like to force your opponent to set a defense so that your play experience is more fun and rewarding. Right now, I have the right to not set defense, but if it’s “fixed” then I will no longer have that right.
  • Nihion wrote: »
    It's a strategy. If I know I will lose anyway, I go full offence to maximize my rewards. Its seems very selfish and greedy to get your rewards for winning AND prevent me from trying to earn my own rewards. Also, there really are times I get busy and just forget.

It’s a strategy in the sense that you are taking a small amount of credits and playtime from your opponent. It’s mostly ineffective, but it’s worth depriving your opponent of 600k credits rather than giving them full rewards.

This is the part that I don't understand...... Why would you want to deprive your opponent of rewards?..... I can understand your right to get as many rewards as you can, but there is no reason to deprive me of mine, especially when you have already decided you are going to lose..... That's just spiteful and selfish.....
  • Still just think setting defense should act as a multiplier for the points you get on offense. So you could still win by clearing the opposition but would have to have luck on your side to do so. Amazed by the thought not setting a defence is a legitimate tactic, but so be it, so just make it a riskier tactic for those who use it, and there'd also be no need to reintroduce auto deployment (or you could choose to opt in or out of it)
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    CHFC22 wrote: »
    Still just think setting defense should act as a multiplier for the points you get on offense. So you could still win by clearing the opposition but would have to have luck on your side to do so. Amazed by the thought not setting a defence is a legitimate tactic, but so be it, so just make it a riskier tactic for those who use it, and there'd also be no need to reintroduce auto deployment (or you could choose to opt in or out of it)

Sometimes people forget or just love to evade the rules (REBELS!), so I think if they were to patch this, auto deployment might be necessary. However it would make people very upset depending on the defense the AI sets. Regardless, I like it the way it is, obviously.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »

This is the part that I don't understand...... Why would you want to deprive your opponent of rewards?..... I can understand your right to get as many rewards as you can, but there is no reason to deprive me of mine, especially when you have already decided you are going to lose..... That's just spiteful and selfish.....

The more rewards I deprive my opponent of, the less they can upgrade their characters. Yes it is rude and in a way selfish, but it’s a way to bring down the competition just that little bit. When you move forward in arena, you are essentially depriving people of rewards by pushing them backwards. It’s less mean, but the “selfish” aspect still exists there too. It’s how the game works.