Event mod/player locks problem

Prev134
I have been irritated by this issue before, but with the recent event schedule it has become a serious problem. We need a better more time and cost efficient way to save our mod loadouts for different events. The 24hr window (which usually ends during sleep for me) is way too long to leave mods on each toon; in order for them to have those mods for an event that is usually a day or two away. So if I want a character to have a specific mod set for a GA on wed, I need to make sure they have those mods assign to them on Monday. It is hard enough to do this with one toon, but to be competitive in GA, or TW you need to do this for at least 20 or more toons! And with several events going on at the same time i.e (raids, tw,ga, arena, fleet arena, etc..) it is impossible to make sure your roster is modded correctly. As an example today during TW my ENTIRE roster was useless because all of their mod loadouts were saved while I was using my squads for other events like the assault battle, arena, fleet arena, raids, and setting defense for ga. This issue recently became worse because the GA, and TW were stacked on top of each other. I'm not even going to go into how ridiculous the cost is just to move mods around. But if CG is truly trying to encourage mod usage (which I think is one of the most diversifying aspects of this game) then they need to make creating loadouts for TW, and GA more efficient. Rather than requiring a player to leave one mod set on one toon for an entire day. The current system is completely impractical.

Replies

• Or conversely as always, farm an ideal set for each char.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    The end goal is to have a specific mod for each character rather than a set of mods to swap around.

This is by design. You need to farm more mods, buddy
  • Once I place a mod on a character, I rarely ever strip it from them. Most of the time I’d replace a current mod with a better one. And I also don’t mod characters that I’m not focusing on either.

Resource. Management. Is. The. Game.
  • @Everyone : So you guys are saying you use one set for each character in all modes? Raids? There are different situations, and strategies that require different mods. Either you guys aren't telling the truth about changing mods, or you guys just dont play strategically.

• @Mkfly: That actually sounds like a great idea!
  • As an example let's say I wanted to create a solid nightsister team for defense in GA/TW. And I want to give them some of my arena mods from my revan team. That means I would have to leave those mods on the nightsisters overnight, and have my Revan team fall 50+ places in arena.
  • Ninjah9 wrote: »
    As an example let's say I wanted to create a solid nightsister team for defense in GA/TW. And I want to give them some of my arena mods from my revan team. That means I would have to leave those mods on the nightsisters overnight, and have my Revan team fall 50+ places in arena.

And you’re going to leave that same Revan team modless for that GA/TW? This doesn’t even make sense.

• I have an offence and CD triangle that I swap for arena /Raids on GMY...
    The rest have discrete mods.

Just farm more mods. One team for a basic set of mods should take a month or two. Improve whichever team you want, the rest filter down to your 2nd best, 3rd best team etc.

No headaches
  • @Huatimus: No I would not leave him modless, I would have to give him subpar mods. Which majorly hurts my arena rank, as almost everybody knows these days; unless your revan is at 300+ speed you will immediately be dropped from the top 50. Make sense?
    @Everyone : So you guys are saying you use one set for each character in all modes? Raids? There are different situations, and strategies that require different mods. Either you guys aren't telling the truth about changing mods, or you guys just dont play strategically.

You can call it not playing strategically if you'd like. It doesn't change the fact that mods were designed to be fairly static and so far all game modes have been released with that idea in mind. Moving mods around the way you do works against the game and, as you've noticed, has some detriments.

I'd rather they keep it as is than start mucking around with changes that would encourage even more time spent in game.
    @Huatimus: No I would not leave him modless, I would have to give him subpar mods. Which majorly hurts my arena rank, as almost everybody knows these days; unless your revan is at 300+ speed you will immediately be dropped from the top 50. Make sense?

No it still doesn't make sense. Why would I want to put subpar mods on my Revan if I want him good enough to counter another Revan team in GA or TW? It sounds like you should be doing a heck of a lot more farming for mods. At the rate that you're burning credits shifting them around like that, you probably could have just upgraded or bought more mods.
  • I find this frustrating too. These days I only have two modsets for toons: HSTR and PvP. I need to optimise mods for HSTR otherwise it's a struggle to keep top 10 in my guild. Anyone who's suggesting that a single modset for a toon works across all circumstances and game modes is kidding themselves, that's just frankly untrue.

Even with just those two setups it's a huge faff switching around. I'd much prefer if the 'squads' we can preset incorporated mods for those toons - eg 'I want to use my Chex with HSTR mods' vs 'I want to use my NS with PvP mods'. It would be difficult to incorporate that with the TW/GA lock, but not impossible.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Mod toons for what you plan to use them for, if you find yourself moving modes for events like assault battles, then you need to farm more mods.

Raids is one of the few scenarios where remodding for that specific purpose will have a benefit.

If you cant mod X number of teams for GA/TW, then not having enough mods is your problem, not a better way to move them.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I find this frustrating too. These days I only have two modsets for toons: HSTR and PvP. I need to optimise mods for HSTR otherwise it's a struggle to keep top 10 in my guild. Anyone who's suggesting that a single modset for a toon works across all circumstances and game modes is kidding themselves, that's just frankly untrue.

Even with just those two setups it's a huge faff switching around. I'd much prefer if the 'squads' we can preset incorporated mods for those toons - eg 'I want to use my Chex with HSTR mods' vs 'I want to use my NS with PvP mods'. It would be difficult to incorporate that with the TW/GA lock, but not impossible.

Why not just only switch when you're raiding and switch back when you're done?
    Unless the "roster lock moment"/start of the set defense stage happens exactly when you're raiding, i don't see how this is a problem. Switching mods is a relatively fast procedure since mods 2.0.
    I'm not trying to dismiss what you're saying, i'm just trying to figure out what exactly the problem is, how it could be solved and if that really requires/warrants changes to how things currently work. I personally don't switch mods at all, mostly because i don't care about raiding. I don't see any reason to switch mods for GA, TW or arena purposes. For TB and events maybe, but i'd argue that you just need to farm more mods because those game modes can be cleared with subpar modding. A chewy/3po style event may require some re-modding, but those are rare enough to not worry about.
    Your suggestion may cause some serious logicstical issues. I don't see it being practical at all to be honest. I mean, sure it would be nice to have the preferred mod set on your characters based on from which squads tab you select them, but what would happen to your arena team if the last thing you selected was a raid team which has arena characters and/or mods that are normally on a arena character?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • As if everyone has an unlimited amount of credits and ship material. As if this game gives you what you want even after a year of farming. As if mods upgrade the way you want them to. I swear these forums are populated with nothing but whales who have had insane luck.

“I do it this way and it works. Don’t mind the insane RNG, material requirements, and time needed to do XYZ, I was able to do it, so can you.” Pathetic reasoning to dismiss a valid complaint.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Deadheat wrote: »
    As if everyone has an unlimited amount of credits and ship material. As if this game gives you what you want even after a year of farming. As if mods upgrade the way you want them to. I swear these forums are populated with nothing but whales who have had insane luck.

“I do it this way and it works. Don’t mind the insane RNG, material requirements, and time needed to do XYZ, I was able to do it, so can you.” Pathetic reasoning to dismiss a valid complaint.

Pathetic reasoning to dismiss valid counterarguments. ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Deadheat wrote: »
    As if everyone has an unlimited amount of credits and ship material. As if this game gives you what you want even after a year of farming. As if mods upgrade the way you want them to. I swear these forums are populated with nothing but whales who have had insane luck.

This entire game is built around farming. Those who farm the right things fastest are ahead. Mods are one of those right things. If you feel like moving mods around is necessary for you to do well then that's an indicator that you need to farm more.

Imagine if we could move character shards around. "I'm going to move 330 GMY shards to unlock Scav Rey for the raid and when I'm done I'll move them back to GMY so I can hold my arena position." That's kind of wonky. And what folks do with mods.

Good mods are supposed to be rare and the folks with great mods across their entire arena squad spent time, energy, and credits to get them. You don't luck into 30 great mods. And along the way you pick up a bunch of really good mods for other game modes.

If you don't want to farm stuff then maybe you're playing the wrong game?
  • I’ve farmed enough mods the characters I need to have mods on have the ideal set of mods they need. I don’t need to move mods around because my characters already have them... so I don’t need to move them around for events. I have characters who aren’t on my Arena team have over +100 speed and still have the ideal mod set.

This game is about managing your resources right, or the consequences are you spending too many credits under the impression you need to move your mods around. Stick with one set, and only switch mods around when you manage to farm a better mod. It’s not that hard
    @Everyone : So you guys are saying you use one set for each character in all modes? Raids? There are different situations, and strategies that require different mods. Either you guys aren't telling the truth about changing mods, or you guys just dont play strategically.

I strategically place my mod sets in a way that maximises efficacy while minimizing effort. Only a few mod sets are swapped specifically for raids, otherwise i don’t change them much.

Sure, there are times where i end up with 100% potency on han and chewie when locked for GA, but that’s not a big problem. Just play a lil differently, so in my case i know han/chewie will almost definitely stun/remove tm.

It doesn't really have much to do with playing "strategically". Its just that swapping around is too much of a pita, even with load outs.

I agree with you that there is certainly situational modding. The best mods a JTR p1 squad is not the same as JTR modded for GA/TW for example. So if you always leave one set or the other on, either your raid score suffers slightly if you optimize for GA or you may lose a toon attacking in GA if you optimize for raid.

I think many of us just don't think that the opportunity cost for creating profiles for every situation is worth the effort. Especially since our B/C/D mods are just fine for getting whatever the task at hand is done.

As an example let's say I wanted to create a solid nightsister team for defense in GA/TW. And I want to give them some of my arena mods from my revan team. That means I would have to leave those mods on the nightsisters overnight, and have my Revan team fall 50+ places in arena.

Why would you have to leave them on for 24 hours? Just move them ten minutes before player lock then move them back after the lock is done .....
  • jhbuchholz wrote: »

This entire game is built around farming. Those who farm the right things fastest are ahead. Mods are one of those right things. If you feel like moving mods around is necessary for you to do well then that's an indicator that you need to farm more.

Imagine if we could move character shards around. "I'm going to move 330 GMY shards to unlock Scav Rey for the raid and when I'm done I'll move them back to GMY so I can hold my arena position." That's kind of wonky. And what folks do with mods.

Good mods are supposed to be rare and the folks with great mods across their entire arena squad spent time, energy, and credits to get them. You don't luck into 30 great mods. And along the way you pick up a bunch of really good mods for other game modes.

I think you are being overly rude to the OP. Otherwise maybe you can point out the place where you can farm mods that inherently know that they should be your best health and offense mods when using NS in P4 and then magically switch their stats when being used in PvP. Or Perhaps you think 179 and 178 are the perfect PvP speeds for death trooper and Han solo? If you want to maximize your performance across game modes you are forced to sacrifice some credits and move some mods. If you are happy with a lower performance in one of the game modes then of course you don't have to move mods but it's a perfectly valid choice for using credits for those that want to.

Regarding your earlier point, yes, the devs said the system was originally designed for them to be relatively static. But they specifically went back on this and addressed the requests of a large number of players to make mod moving easier when they introduced loadouts.

The main point is, it makes no difference if you farmed mods to death and have the best mods you can imagine the game producing or if you picked up a few free ones that are mostly trash, you will still be able to improve your performance across the whole game if you choose to move mods occasionally.
  • BubbaFett wrote: »
    Ninjah9 wrote: »

Why would you have to leave them on for 24 hours? Just move them ten minutes before player lock then move them back after the lock is done .....

The better question is why would you want to have a better nightsister team in GA/TW at the expense of your revan team in the same exact game modes?
  • BubbaFett wrote: »
    Ninjah9 wrote: »

The better question is why would you want to have a better nightsister team in GA/TW at the expense of your revan team in the same exact game modes?

I would never have motivation to do this but it's a valid strategy. If you put your Revan team in defense it will require a meta team to take it down (or one of a short list of specific counters) whether it has A+ solid gold plated mods on it or a decent set of B+ that used to be worthy of an arena team but got replaced a while ago. At that point it's done it's job. On the other hand, you put those A+ mods on a B team (FO, NS, BH etc.) you have the potential to really spring a surprise as some of those teams really kick **** against their regular counters when they are very well modded.

The only thing you are sacrificing is the small chance they screw up against your well modded Revan team which I think will become less and less likely than it already is.
  • Btw I don’t know if I’d put nightsisters on defense since imperial troopers especially rip through them. And most people tend to save imperial troopers for offense since AI can’t seem to them well
  • Btw I don’t know if I’d put nightsisters on defense since imperial troopers especially rip through them. And most people tend to save imperial troopers for offense since AI can’t seem to them well

In TW I'd agree but more because they are such a universal counter. In GA though they don't have prot regen and pretty much need to be full strength which can lose you points. On the otherhand they AOE against both prot and health so take points off your opponents when on D. It's worth sacrificing Nest, GK, B2, Zarris.... to your NS defense for that chance I think.
  • jhbuchholz wrote: »

I think you are being overly rude to the OP.

Not sure what part you're referring to as rude. I was just pointing things and sharing another point of view.
    if you choose to move mods occasionally.

Emphasis on occasionally. Mod loadouts weren't put in to allow folks to remod every character for each TW or GA. Rather, to address the situations you point out. I want my ChexMix team modded very specifically and in a way that's not useful in PvP. I can easily swap back and forth a few times a week. Additional changes to this encourages more time spent in game (encourages folks to remod each TW or GA). I'm opposed to that.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Mkfly wrote: »
    Mods are the nerve of the game now. And there is situation that you can change mods on your team and that will make the difference between winning or losing in arena or TW. They give us a tool to switch mods why we can't use it ?? Mod's should be lock on the account to only be available once by TW//GA but not lock on a character.

You can use it. You just can’t use it for free because they want to incentivize you to continue farming mods so you have enough good ones for everyone.

The lock is there because it allows predictability and prevents gaming the system. The way you suggest it somebody could remove all mods from his characters before lock to get an easier opponent and then put them back. And, you wouldn’t be able to analyze your opponent appropriately because you wouldn’t know what mods they would use for the teams they actually put in, which is a pretty big difference. My strategy is different if my opponent has a faster Revan than it is if he has a Revan that’s 50 speed under mine.