Event mod/player locks problem

Replies

• Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    Mod toons for what you plan to use them for, if you find yourself moving modes for events like assault battles, then you need to farm more mods.

Raids is one of the few scenarios where remodding for that specific purpose will have a benefit.

If you cant mod X number of teams for GA/TW, then not having enough mods is your problem, not a better way to move them.

While you are correct a lot of posters here for some reason against some more mod management tools or QOL in general are scaring me... QOL is not mandatory yet they still do it.... do ppl like the game functions 3 yrs ago ???? I hope not

• Darth_DeVito
    1232 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    ETA: Double post, sorry.
  • Darth_DeVito
    1232 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Ninjah9 wrote: »
    As an example let's say I wanted to create a solid nightsister team for defense in GA/TW. And I want to give them some of my arena mods from my revan team. That means I would have to leave those mods on the nightsisters overnight, and have my Revan team fall 50+ places in arena.

The way I understood it, GA takes a snapshot of your entire roster – mods, zetas, everything – the moment you sign in. You can swap your mods back right after. You don't have to leave them on your characters for the entire preview phase.

As for TW, I'm not quite sure if I understood this right and please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that your defensive squads are only locked once you place them. After that, you could theoretically take off their mods and assign them to your offensive squads. I think you can do this up to the point where you actually attack with them.
  • Deadheat wrote: »
    As if everyone has an unlimited amount of credits and ship material. As if this game gives you what you want even after a year of farming. As if mods upgrade the way you want them to. I swear these forums are populated with nothing but whales who have had insane luck.

“I do it this way and it works. Don’t mind the insane RNG, material requirements, and time needed to do XYZ, I was able to do it, so can you.” Pathetic reasoning to dismiss a valid complaint.

Isn't this an argument against swapping mods since it wastes a considerable amount of resources (credits)? I'd rather use those credits to level up a batch of newly farmed mods and hopefully increase my pool of mods with speed secondaries in the process.
  • Ninjah9 wrote: »
    As an example let's say I wanted to create a solid nightsister team for defense in GA/TW. And I want to give them some of my arena mods from my revan team. That means I would have to leave those mods on the nightsisters overnight, and have my Revan team fall 50+ places in arena.

The way I understood it, GA takes a snapshot of your entire roster – mods, zetas, everything – the moment you sign in. You can swap your mods back right after. You don't have to leave them on your characters for the entire preview phase.

As for TW, I'm not quite sure if I understood this right and please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that your defensive squads are only locked once you place them. After that, you could theoretically take off their mods and assign them to your offensive squads. I think you can do this up to the point where you actually attack with them.

That is what some people believe, but I have tested this personally. It doesnt take a snap shot until the 24hr timer runs out. If it worked like you said, where a snap shot is taken right when you join; that would work far more better than it does now. Thank you for posting on subject, as this is a very viable solution to the issue. For some reason like 90% of the posters only response was "you're not supposed to move mods" like @DK_rek said its scary...

That is what some people believe, but I have tested this personally. It doesnt take a snap shot until the 24hr timer runs out. If it worked like you said, where a snap shot is taken right when you join; that would work far more better than it does now. Thank you for posting on subject, as this is a very viable solution to the issue. For some reason like 90% of the posters only response was "you're not supposed to move mods" like @DK_rek said its scary...

That's good to know. In that case, all I can think of is joining TW at the last minute. Maybe set an alarm 5 minutes before the join / preview phase runs out, in case it's in the middle of the night for you, swap mod sets, join, wait a few minutes for the timer to run out and change the mods back.
  • Lol, yes that is the only option right now, and my whole point is that this should be fixed.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    If the "roster lock" / start of preraration phase happens in the middle of the night, what is the downside of modding them before you go to sleep, changing them back the next day?
    There are 3 types of teams when it comes to mods:
    • Arena team - always uses current mods, actively while playing and passively while on def
    • Raid/event/tb teams - always uses current mods, only usefull when raiding/playing events/tb
    • GA/TW teams - uses locked mods, once locked those mods are only used passively (if it works correctly)
    So the only thing that could potentially influence your performance negatively is if you use your normal arena mods on different toons in GA/TW, leaving your arena team weaker in order to have your preferred mods in GA/TW.
    Locking your roster when you "join" TW/GA would solve that particular issue. I'm fine with that, it makes it easier to manage for everyone who likes to switch mods and i don't see a downside to this change.
    I don't really see it as a pressing matter though since most people use the same mods on their arena team during GA/TW.
    As for modswitching and the costs involved, i'm fine with those. I think switching mods is super easy at the moment, so not much room for improvement there. The laodouts layout could use some work, making it easier to navigate. All in all, once you've got your loadouts set up, switching is super easy.
    However, if you want to switch mods for every single event, raid, tb or whatever it is you want to optimize your mods for, it comes at a price. It still requires quite alot of effort if you switch often enough and the credit costs also add up over time. I'm totally fine with that because it gives the players the incentive to further progress their mods. If you still want to switch to perform better than others that's fine aswell, you just have to put in the effort where others don't.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    If the "roster lock" / start of preraration phase happens in the middle of the night, what is the downside of modding them before you go to sleep, changing them back the next day?
    • Arena team - always uses current mods, actively while playing and passively while on def
    • Raid/event/tb teams - always uses current mods, only usefull when raiding/playing events/tb
    • GA/TW teams - uses locked mods, once locked those mods are only used passively (if it works correctly)
    So the only thing that could potentially influence your performance negatively is if you use your normal arena mods on different toons in GA/TW, leaving your arena team weaker in order to have your preferred mods in GA/TW.

After reading the recent responses I was about to ask a very similar question. Why aren't PvP mods the default mods on your characters? You'd swap them out for raids and then put them right back. You said this effects 20+ characters so it sounds like it's more than just your arena team...

Asking for clarification, not pushing this as a solution.
  • jhbuchholz wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

After reading the recent responses I was about to ask a very similar question. Why aren't PvP mods the default mods on your characters? You'd swap them out for raids and then put them right back. You said this effects 20+ characters so it sounds like it's more than just your arena team...

TW/GA requires 20 + characters.
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

Yes... and?

You mod them all for this GA. Then what? You take them all off as soon as GA starts? Why? What's happening between GAs/TWs that you need to do this each time? I presume you remod for raids. Do you not change the mods back after the raid so the PvP/GA mods are back?

The question is, why aren't PvP mods the defaults for your characters?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

Why aren't those characters always modded for GA/TW though?
  • Because of raids, ships, events. This last one really exasperated the issue because I had 2 raids , a tw, and a ga all at the same time. And right now is a perfect example of why moving mods is important, right now windu, Jawas, and clones have bonuses. I never use those characters so I never bothered to put decent mods, if any on them. But in this situation it would be highly advantageous if I gave them better mod loadouts.So say we had a ga right now at the same time again, it would be near impossible to create a mod set for TW, and GA at the same time; as each of those require very different modding. Bottom line is this would all be more efficient if you could control when the snapshot is taken.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Because of raids, ships, events. This last one really exasperated the issue because I had 2 raids , a tw, and a ga all at the same time. And right now is a perfect example of why moving mods is important, right now windu, Jawas, and clones have bonuses. I never use those characters so I never bothered to put decent mods, if any on them. But in this situation it would be highly advantageous if I gave them better mod loadouts.So say we had a ga right now at the same time again, it would be near impossible to create a mod set for TW, and GA at the same time; as each of those require very different modding. Bottom line is this would all be more efficient if you could control when the snapshot is taken.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but this is the first time ever that we had GA and TW simultaneously and they still didn't start the same day. So there's no reason to create a mod set for TW and GA at the same time.
    I agree that it's a logistical nightmare if you want specific mods on specific characters for specific game modes, but it's not like it won't be if your roster lock for TW/GA happens when you join. It would help a bit, sure, but still..
    I don't see how the game could accomodate players who switch mods for every single game mode, nor do i see a reason why they should be accomodated.
    ps. it's clones, dooku, windu and CUP. no jawa bonus next TW.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Maybe i'm just too biased too see the issue though. I've got 62 mods between +19 and +10 speed secondaries just laying around because i'm too lazy to re-mod. Yes, i just counted them, haha.
    I not just don't re-mod for events/ga/tw etc, i don't re-mod at all.
    Because of raids, ships, events. This last one really exasperated the issue because I had 2 raids , a tw, and a ga all at the same time. And right now is a perfect example of why moving mods is important, right now windu, Jawas, and clones have bonuses. I never use those characters so I never bothered to put decent mods, if any on them. But in this situation it would be highly advantageous if I gave them better mod loadouts.So say we had a ga right now at the same time again, it would be near impossible to create a mod set for TW, and GA at the same time; as each of those require very different modding. Bottom line is this would all be more efficient if you could control when the snapshot is taken.

Another thing that would make it more efficient is farming more mods. My Jawas don't get used either. And they don't have great mods. But with the bonuses they don't need great mods to be effective either. You don't get bonus points for a more decisive victory in TW.

For reference, my Jawas all have at least one matched 2 or 4 piece set and average +60 speed. And I haven't touched their mods since I don't know when. This works perfectly well in TW and I don't have to stress about moving mods for them.

Not saying you should do this. Just pointing out that there are ways already available to make your process more efficient (the whole: he who invests more in mods has an advantage idea). From what I've seen from CG this is the way they want it.
    @haysswa1 : "You really need to understand what everyone is saying, have your best mods on your arena and then put your next best mods on squads you use the most. Then swap arena mods occasionally as needed for raids, events etc. It takes a while to get multiple good mods to place on all these squads but when you do you'll probably really see what most of us are trying to tell you.

I've been playing for over 3 years, have over 800 mods to pick and choose from. Most are garbage honestly but I do have my better mods on squads I use the most. I rarely ever move a mod, only when it's something better or needed to help me get past an event."

So literally what you are saying is that I need to play for 3 years, and accumulate 800 mods before I can understand the ridiculously one-sided point you guys are trying to make??? I understand that some of you have been playing a long time, but for you guys to swarm these post; and counter every argument with " well I've been playing this game since it came out, and I dont have the same issues as you. So you must be wrong..." is a joke.

I did not say you are wrong. You can move mods and waste credits to your hearts content. You do need to farm more mods in order to place as many mods as you can without needlessly swapping them around. If you feel the need to swap around the few good mods you have that's on you and you can complain about the cost and everything else all you want. Those of us that have countered with our own experiences in the realm of mods have every right to offer our suggestions. What you do with them is on you. Good luck and game on.
  • Yes, you guys keep going back to the same point (farm more mods). And I dont disagree with that. But for players like me it is not an easy thing to do, even if I was buying Crystal's. With all the new characters released, and endless farms; it's very difficult to prioritize mods without sacrificing other very important farms in this game. My main point is there are a lot of current aspects of mods (farming,mod store, cost, etc..) that need to be tuned up. As of right now they are plagued with needless hindrances. And given CG's most RECENT COMMENTS on mods that they are trying to "encourage their use" (despite the claims people have made on this post) they should clean up a few aspects around mods to make using them easier.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Yes, you guys keep going back to the same point (farm more mods). And I dont disagree with that. But for players like me it is not an easy thing to do, even if I was buying Crystal's. With all the new characters released, and endless farms; it's very difficult to prioritize mods without sacrificing other very important farms in this game. My main point is there are a lot of current aspects of mods (farming,mod store, cost, etc..) that need to be tuned up. As of right now they are plagued with needless hindrances. And given CG's most RECENT COMMENTS on mods that they are trying to "encourage their use" (despite the claims people have made on this post) they should clean up a few aspects around mods to make using them easier.

Meh...you can farm mods for months and never get a single good one.... People with great mods put effort into them but in the end so did I

so as with everything else in this game some people get the RNG and I don't..... 0 0 00 00 0 0 0 0 000 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0's forever on my zeta challenges....

So 2 years on top of fleet shard against people sitting at 300 and they have more zetas than me ?????? because for some reason THEY get them on challenges I dont'...

are the challenges weighted based on your fleet rank......probably not...but when I see people with more zetas and a 300 rank in ships makes you wonder.

Back to the point.... I could have farmed a million mods and someone else could farm a million mods.... he might have 30 god mods I have 4........ it's all RNG...

people with good ones say it's all skill and work...but really it's RNG
  • DuneFlint wrote: »
    Btw I don’t know if I’d put nightsisters on defense since imperial troopers especially rip through them. And most people tend to save imperial troopers for offense since AI can’t seem to them well

I run into at least one opponent without troopers every ga, and this is in the 3.5mil area. It's kind of surprising.

I use ns everytime i see that and they either can't beat them or have to waste a way better team then they should

Erm. If your troopers arent at least all g11 good luck dealing with a g12 ns team. They aren’t the only option when dealing with ns.
    @haysswa1 : "You really need to understand what everyone is saying, have your best mods on your arena and then put your next best mods on squads you use the most. Then swap arena mods occasionally as needed for raids, events etc. It takes a while to get multiple good mods to place on all these squads but when you do you'll probably really see what most of us are trying to tell you.

I've been playing for over 3 years, have over 800 mods to pick and choose from. Most are garbage honestly but I do have my better mods on squads I use the most. I rarely ever move a mod, only when it's something better or needed to help me get past an event."

So literally what you are saying is that I need to play for 3 years, and accumulate 800 mods before I can understand the ridiculously one-sided point you guys are trying to make??? I understand that some of you have been playing a long time, but for you guys to swarm these post; and counter every argument with " well I've been playing this game since it came out, and I dont have the same issues as you. So you must be wrong..." is a joke.

Okay, so why not let someone who has a main from Dec’15 and an alt from Dec’17 (that’s a young enough account right) tell you the truth - go farm more mods. My alt doesnt shift mods. Again - optimize and strategize your mod loadouts to get the most from it. Sure, you might have to move 2 sets for raids then back after, but that’s your choice to maximise raid damage. If you’re on a budget, you gotta make it up with effort, simple as that.
    haysswa1 wrote: »
    BubbaFett wrote: »

Why would you have to leave them on for 24 hours? Just move them ten minutes before player lock then move them back after the lock is done .....

Because player lock usually happens at an ungodly hour...

How is it an ungodly hour? As far as I know it's in the afternoon 24 hrs after preview which is also afternoon. I don't know if switching your payout time affects all events timing in your game but if it does and that's what you did I highly recommend you switch it back.

It locks at the same instant for everyone. So if it's 2pm for your then it's around 2am for someone halfway around the world. The presumption here is that OP is in a non Americas time zone. As someone in an American time zone (eastern) I support shifting GA start times so that they start in the afternoon for folks in Europe, Africa, Australia, and Asia from time to time.

I wholly support that idea since right now at the 4mil gp tier, practically all my opponents wait to go 2nd. Being in an asian timezone means i can’t do the same since GA ends at 5am here.

Okay, so why not let someone who has a main from Dec’15 and an alt from Dec’17 (that’s a young enough account right) tell you the truth - go farm more mods. My alt doesnt shift mods. Again - optimize and strategize your mod loadouts to get the most from it. Sure, you might have to move 2 sets for raids then back after, but that’s your choice to maximise raid damage. If you’re on a budget, you gotta make it up with effort, simple as that.

Alt? Are you saying you have 2 accounts? Again more mods is not the issue here, we are talking about when , and how the "snapshot" is taken.

"If you’re on a budget, you gotta make it up with effort, simple as that."

Not sure where you're going with this. But no. No amount of "effort" would close the gap between me, and someone who has played for 3 years. You appear to be just another whale telling regular players to "get like me", with no sense of playing this game without buying your way through every obstacle...
  • Ninjah9
    906 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    @Salactious_Scrum @haysswa1
    @Eddiemundie @EventineElessedil
    @loath @jhbuchholz @Kyno
    @Everyone

All your talk about not moving mods is a joke. But dont take it from me, take it from one of the most popular players in the world...

Jump to 14:00 min mark to hear it from the man himself
    https://youtu.be/SoHsouk_-aw

Not utilizing mods is how extremely basic people play, and not how real players play. And once, and for all the answer is absolutely not "dont move mods"...
    @loath @jhbuchholz @Kyno
    @Everyone

All your talk about not moving mods is a joke. But dont take it from me, take it from one of the most popular players in the world...

Not utilizing mods is how extremely basic people play, and not how real players play. And once, and for all the answer is absolutely not "dont move mods"...

Popular =/= best

This is hardly evidence that mods are supposed to be moved for every event instead of continually farmed.

With any luck CG will see this and rework mods in the same wonderful way they reworked GG for Ahnald.
    @loath @jhbuchholz @Kyno
    @Everyone

Popular =/= best

This is hardly evidence that mods are supposed to be moved for every event instead of continually farmed.

With any luck CG will see this and rework mods in the same wonderful way they reworked GG for Ahnald.

Burn!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Salactious_Scrum haysswa1
    Eddiemundie EventineElessedil
    loath jhbuchholz Kyno
    Everyone

I never said "dont move mods".

I would also imagine that if you spoke to that person (didnt watch the video yet, and I'm not sure who the most popular player is), they would agree that if you feel you need to move mods for events like assault battles, you probably dont have have enough good mods.

I would also consider it to be "not utilizing mods" if you are not always farming them to make sure you have enough good mods for the game modes that take the most mods GA/TW. I leave and build my toons for thier uses there and switch to raid mods when I need to.

Again the goal should be to move them less by having enough good mods, if you have a few sets that you need to be placed in certain places all the time and you are constantly using a small set of mods, how is that not under utilizing a whole mechanic that is key to the game.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Salactious_Scrum haysswa1
    Eddiemundie EventineElessedil
    loath jhbuchholz Kyno
    Everyone

I never said "dont move mods".

I would also imagine that if you spoke to that person (didnt watch the video yet, and I'm not sure who the most popular player is), they would agree that if you feel you need to move mods for events like assault battles, you probably dont have have enough good mods.

I would also consider it to be "not utilizing mods" if you are not always farming them to make sure you have enough good mods for the game modes that take the most mods GA/TW. I leave and build my toons for thier uses there and switch to raid mods when I need to.

Again the goal should be to move them less by having enough good mods, if you have a few sets that you need to be placed in certain places all the time and you are constantly using a small set of mods, how is that not under utilizing a whole mechanic that is key to the game.

The in video context was that Ahnald was modding droids to test with GG and expressed frustration over the in game mod management tools. He didn't say anything about moving them for events or any other reason.
    @loath @jhbuchholz @Kyno
    @Everyone

Guess I am extremely basic, woe is me. Move mods as much as you want, doesn't matter to me.
    My point was that I already spend too much time mucking about with mods, I am not going to do it for every Territory Battle, Assault Battle, Raid, etc, but you go on ahead and be a "real player," playah.
    Peace.
  • Eddiemundie
    1070 posts Member
    edited February 2019

Alt? Are you saying you have 2 accounts? Again more mods is not the issue here, we are talking about when , and how the "snapshot" is taken.

"If you’re on a budget, you gotta make it up with effort, simple as that."

Not sure where you're going with this. But no. No amount of "effort" would close the gap between me, and someone who has played for 3 years. You appear to be just another whale telling regular players to "get like me", with no sense of playing this game without buying your way through every obstacle...

My alt has played for 1 year so clearly i know the pains of refarming mods. I have had to move sets of mods between arena and raids when starting out because i needed to get ahead fast (for free, u know f2p?)

Also easy way for u to make assumptions about how people play because they just dont agree with you. From our end, it's you who doesnt understand how to play the game. You don't have to pay to get a decent working inventory of mods that you can optimize across toons. I have an f2p alt that's only just over a year old that doesnt currently struggle with modding, so i don't see merit in your argument.

Also like I said, if you want to fully optimize mod sets for raids and all then swap around, that is your choice not ours. I'm willing to take a 300k damage cut in my raid if it makes my life easier, but you want that 300k damage to get you a non-guaranteed better position in the hsr. That is clearly your choice, not ours. I would much rather mods be locked for GA or TW so I don`t get opponents who tweak their speeds just enough to break all my defenses. It is only fair.
    @loath @jhbuchholz @Kyno
    @Everyone

Popular =/= good. But okay we're basic then, just keep burning your credits to move mods around. Have a great weekend doing that.