Grand Arena Improvements/questions

DaGhost141
83 posts Member
edited February 2019
question on if these improvements to the game mode Grand Arena on if from a programming perspective if these functions are possible with the way the game is currently structured. Hoping for a response from someone at CG but any programmer in our community works as well:
-Would CG be able to add a replay function for battles in GA?
-Would CG be able to make the game mode available to just start a GA whenever the player feels like playing the mode rather than have it be an event started by CG?
I’m sure there is a long drawn out technical explanation to this but just looking for a high level answer for those two questions? An example of these functions in other games that I can think of are Clash of Clans replay function in their wars game mode.

Thanks for all and anyone who can answer these questions!

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    They spoke about replays over a year ago with the introduction of TW, and said they wanted them to roll out together, but then separated them because they didnt want it to hold up the release of TW.

Here we are today and it's still not a thing, so their might be a technical reason they didnt do it, but we dont know.

Them starting it at a specific time and starting everyone at the same time, probably makes it's easier to lock in all the stats they do at player lock. It is also easier to make matches that way, rather then getting stuck with smaller sub sets of players.
  • DaGhost141 wrote: »

Do you mean where you could watch the battles? The answer to that would be no, since the battles play out client-side, not server side.

• DaGhost141 wrote: »

Do you mean where you could watch the battles? The answer to that would be no, since the battles play out client-side, not server side.

I don’t mean to necessarily watch it live but at least watch a replay of the battle yes. Is that function not possible with the way the game is currently constructed?
  • Theoretically they could log the starting state of the battle and all of the actions taken, send that to the server at the end of the battle and serve it up to another game client later for replay.

How much time, effort and technical risk is involved are the real questions and it could be a lot more than you think.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    DaGhost141 wrote: »
    DaGhost141 wrote: »

I don’t mean to necessarily watch it live but at least watch a replay of the battle yes. Is that function not possible with the way the game is currently constructed?

We dont know, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen, since they spoke about it a while ago,but never came out.

It's also not that it cant happen, just that it may not have been had the groundwork laid when the game was made, making it harder to add now.
  • Just wanted to add my +1, would love to see how my defenses did, or did not do, what they tried etc.

One thing I was thinking, is they are not doing this to avoid massive amounts of whining about the crud AI etc
  • Just wanted to add my +1, would love to see how my defenses did, or did not do, what they tried etc.

One thing I was thinking, is they are not doing this to avoid massive amounts of whining about the crud AI etc

Watching your defenses would likely be a no. The battle runs on your opponent’s phone, not in the server. When he wins or loses, the phone sends the results (incl max prot hp wdv) to the server to record.
  • Maybe it would be nice if you could at least see the lineup they used against you. So if my Ewoks had 7 defensive stops, was it because the opponent just threw crap teams at them or legitimate teams that actually lost.