Grand Arena MM isn't the problem, the Galactic Power calculation is...

13Next

Replies

• @SCOED cutting weight in wrestling is incredibly dangerous and can lead to coma or death. Most doctors recommend that the practice should be banned from school competitions.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    vksg wrote: »
    Resource management =/= evaluation after the fact. Why would you invest in a toon that you didnt see a use for?

Everyone that complains about having fluff and facing players that have a laser focused roster on GA or TW, seems to know what they want their roster to look like, why do I have to explain?

The answer is too cluttered so I will stick to the two points above.
    1. After all it is still a collectors game. Should you really expect to be punished just for unlocking a character to 7*?
    2. I have a focused roster and win most of my GA. No problem with that. However, I also have responsibility for the other players in my guild and I can see a lot of them struggling because they can't resist that collector's habit to get that shiny new char unlocked. It's hard to see them punished for just having unused toons in their roster.
    Maybe to make this even clearer: For the unlocking part, this has nothing to do with resource management. You either cannot use those resources for anything else/better (shards) or they are not the limiting factor (G1-G5).

No one is punished for unlocking anything, but if your only goal is to unlock toons, then you shouldnt be expecting to be super competitive in combat game mode that doesnt use your whole collection.
    Now that 6k limit on TW definitely surprises me, as it filters out exactly all those unlocked, low-geared 7* chars that should - I take that as an official stance - lower the guilds competitiveness.
    I understand that we won't get any further than an endless iteration between WAI and Player's Fault, which I find rather unfortunate.

I joined because I thought this was a discussion about how MM and/or roster management could be improved. Regardless of how it currently works (WAI or not doesn't matter). All your answers read as "nothing needs to be changed, everything works just perfectly, no need you continue discussing possible improvements". I disagree but obey. To not just discuss for discussion's sake I appreciate your taking time and bow out of this one.

I have never said nothing needs to be changed, the OPs stance is that MM is fine and GP calc needs to change. My opinion is that GP is fine and I was trying to explain why.

There are valid reasons why the devs should not rate characters, and always be adjusting the GP of a toon.

There is a valid argument to the fact that if you have X GP, and less toons you can use in a match with someone of X GP, that you probably shouldnt win, or at least that its understandable that it will be harder for you.

We all made choices, mine are costing me in this game mode, I dont have the toons i want for defense, I am working on that. While i am working on that i know i will not be taking 1 in my matches and to get 2nd tier rewards will be a hard fought match. I'm ok with that. I also know that I can develop the teams I want ( and help my guild in TW at the same time), in the long run I will have a more competitive roster.

Funny how your stance changed though. When this first came out even you said matchmaking by pure gp was not the way to go. Kinda sad , i know your a moderator so have to stick up for CG. But cmon GP is an awful calculator for investment since the investment is calculated so awfully. The most powerful additions to your investments, gear omegas and zetas are worth less than stars , but stars are the least important measure of a chatacter. See how many toons are arena worthy at 4 stars. But try and send in a 7 star gear 8 and see if it does the same.
    Since this mode wasnt around before , saying ppl should have done better growing their rosters is such crap. There was never a reason not too if you had extra currencies.
    Now there isnt because of GA. But guess what, the game has been out for years before this game mode came out. So saying just get better is actually pretty ridiculous as you cant undo anything you have done. So these ppl will never catch up as their fluff never goes away. G12 ugnaught never gets better. But hey as long as some of you get to win all the time, guess its ok. At least your not then complaining that ppl dont set d to at least get some credits for a match theyll never win. Lol oh wait yall do.

I have always said i was ok with it. i have said they could make some changes, but never said it has to or its ruining the game mode.

seriously, can you quote me saying that matching by pure GP is not the way to go?

it is literally a calculation for investment. each particular upgrade weighs the same for each character. the only difference between the mad on each toon is if they have an additional ability. meaning if you choose to put a level on a character its equal to any other level added to another toon. it is not a measure of effectiveness, but it 100% is a measure of how much stuff you have put into a toon.

TB is the only place when pure GP matters, but if you look at where you are in the rewards and how fast your guild can grow, there was a point where the cost/benefit lost a lot and stopped being worth the investment. on top of that, there are particular teams that can be built and help you in multiple ways and those should have been a priority.

pure GP bumping also hurt you in TW, so by then we again had many reasons to build certain teams and again not just bump pure GP.

again TW/GA is less than half the roster, and you can "catch up" by focusing on building the right teams. that what this game is about, resource management to use those resources in the most effective way.

So you are stating, you did not say , q3hen they first announced the GA, that matchmaking based purely on gp was not the way to go , and we will see what they have planned? Ill go and find it , if thats what you are saying.
    Resource management =/= evaluation after the fact. Why would you invest in a toon that you didnt see a use for?

Everyone that complains about having fluff and facing players that have a laser focused roster on GA or TW, seems to know what they want their roster to look like, why do I have to explain?

1. After all it is still a collectors game. Should you really expect to be punished just for unlocking a character to 7*?
    2. I have a focused roster and win most of my GA. No problem with that. However, I also have responsibility for the other players in my guild and I can see a lot of them struggling because they can't resist that collector's habit to get that shiny new char unlocked. It's hard to see them punished for just having unused toons in their roster.
    Maybe to make this even clearer: For the unlocking part, this has nothing to do with resource management. You either cannot use those resources for anything else/better (shards) or they are not the limiting factor (G1-G5).

No one is punished for unlocking anything, but if your only goal is to unlock toons, then you shouldnt be expecting to be super competitive in combat game mode that doesnt use your whole collection.
    Now that 6k limit on TW definitely surprises me, as it filters out exactly all those unlocked, low-geared 7* chars that should - I take that as an official stance - lower the guilds competitiveness.
    I understand that we won't get any further than an endless iteration between WAI and Player's Fault, which I find rather unfortunate.

I joined because I thought this was a discussion about how MM and/or roster management could be improved. Regardless of how it currently works (WAI or not doesn't matter). All your answers read as "nothing needs to be changed, everything works just perfectly, no need you continue discussing possible improvements". I disagree but obey. To not just discuss for discussion's sake I appreciate your taking time and bow out of this one.

I have never said nothing needs to be changed, the OPs stance is that MM is fine and GP calc needs to change. My opinion is that GP is fine and I was trying to explain why.

There are valid reasons why the devs should not rate characters, and always be adjusting the GP of a toon.

There is a valid argument to the fact that if you have X GP, and less toons you can use in a match with someone of X GP, that you probably shouldnt win, or at least that its understandable that it will be harder for you.

We all made choices, mine are costing me in this game mode, I dont have the toons i want for defense, I am working on that. While i am working on that i know i will not be taking 1 in my matches and to get 2nd tier rewards will be a hard fought match. I'm ok with that. I also know that I can develop the teams I want ( and help my guild in TW at the same time), in the long run I will have a more competitive roster.

Funny how your stance changed though. When this first came out even you said matchmaking by pure gp was not the way to go. Kinda sad , i know your a moderator so have to stick up for CG. But cmon GP is an awful calculator for investment since the investment is calculated so awfully. The most powerful additions to your investments, gear omegas and zetas are worth less than stars , but stars are the least important measure of a chatacter. See how many toons are arena worthy at 4 stars. But try and send in a 7 star gear 8 and see if it does the same.
    Since this mode wasnt around before , saying ppl should have done better growing their rosters is such crap. There was never a reason not too if you had extra currencies.
    Now there isnt because of GA. But guess what, the game has been out for years before this game mode came out. So saying just get better is actually pretty ridiculous as you cant undo anything you have done. So these ppl will never catch up as their fluff never goes away. G12 ugnaught never gets better. But hey as long as some of you get to win all the time, guess its ok. At least your not then complaining that ppl dont set d to at least get some credits for a match theyll never win. Lol oh wait yall do.

I have always said i was ok with it. i have said they could make some changes, but never said it has to or its ruining the game mode.

seriously, can you quote me saying that matching by pure GP is not the way to go?

it is literally a calculation for investment. each particular upgrade weighs the same for each character. the only difference between the mad on each toon is if they have an additional ability. meaning if you choose to put a level on a character its equal to any other level added to another toon. it is not a measure of effectiveness, but it 100% is a measure of how much stuff you have put into a toon.

TB is the only place when pure GP matters, but if you look at where you are in the rewards and how fast your guild can grow, there was a point where the cost/benefit lost a lot and stopped being worth the investment. on top of that, there are particular teams that can be built and help you in multiple ways and those should have been a priority.

pure GP bumping also hurt you in TW, so by then we again had many reasons to build certain teams and again not just bump pure GP.

again TW/GA is less than half the roster, and you can "catch up" by focusing on building the right teams. that what this game is about, resource management to use those resources in the most effective way.

How do you catch up. If you cant ungear and unlvl toons lol? By gearing and lvling more toons , so your gp goes up and you move to a higher gp division with more teams needed , so your in the exact same position? Or will your opponents somehow magically gain more gp.

And secondly and more importantly if GP only matters in tb , why is it the only thing that matters in GA matchmaking. Seems an awful way to do things .

I mean didnt they just tweak the tw matchmaking , because gp only wasnt working , but hey yeah lets do the same thing here. Its silly to do after a game has been out for years , to say if you use extra rss, your gonna have a tougher match.
    And if you didnt (just didnt use your extras rss that are sitting there doing nothing) you will have an easier matchup.
    Sounds like a paper zombie strategy on a collection lvl. But we dont want want ppl to have an advantage by not lvling up their toons. Hmm, yup cg logic there
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

How do you catch up. If you cant ungear and unlvl toons lol? By gearing and lvling more toons , so your gp goes up and you move to a higher gp division with more teams needed , so your in the exact same position? Or will your opponents somehow magically gain more gp.

And secondly and more importantly if GP only matters in tb , why is it the only thing that matters in GA matchmaking. Seems an awful way to do things .

I mean didnt they just tweak the tw matchmaking , because gp only wasnt working , but hey yeah lets do the same thing here. Its silly to do after a game has been out for years , to say if you use extra rss, your gonna have a tougher match.
    And if you didnt (just didnt use your extras rss that are sitting there doing nothing) you will have an easier matchup.
    Sounds like a paper zombie strategy on a collection lvl. But we dont want want ppl to have an advantage by not lvling up their toons. Hmm, yup cg logic there

Catch up, does not mean move backwards.

It means to build the "right teams" and move forward in the direction you want.

Yes your GP goes up, but those people are using the same "right toons" there are only 50-70 needed for GA.

I was saying adding GP blindly only matters in TB, everywhere else adding GP matters it should be based on the usefulness of the toons.

Nope, nothing like paper zombie. If you stop developing your roster you do not have a better strategy or perform better than someone who does improve their roster. Paper zombie is the startegy of stopping development and being better than someone who kept developing.
  • To use a football (soccer if you’re a yank) analogy, using GP to match is like saying Manchester United vs my Sunday league team is an equal and fair match-up because we both have 11 players (or similar GP).

The QUALITY of those players is a much bigger factor and GP doesn’t take that into account.

This leads to boring one-sided matches. Nobody wants to watch my team thrash Manchester United 25 - 0 it’s dull 😂
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Me personally I find it so easy to earn credits that I spend it on leveling up mods and collecting the good and selling the bad.
    I always have some credits squirreled away and now have 107 6dot mods. Hope 100mil in credits helps you in battle.

Catch up, does not mean move backwards.

It means to build the "right teams" and move forward in the direction you want.

Yes your GP goes up, but those people are using the same "right toons" there are only 50-70 needed for GA.

I was saying adding GP blindly only matters in TB, everywhere else adding GP matters it should be based on the usefulness of the toons.

Nope, nothing like paper zombie. If you stop developing your roster you do not have a better strategy or perform better than someone who does improve their roster. Paper zombie is the startegy of stopping development and being better than someone who kept developing.

Paper zombie didnt just include zombie , it took not leveling zombie to gain an advantate but , you needed to build up a team around it.
    You still lvl up useful toons. (Ie. Daka talzin assaj, but keeping zombie low helped) same as what GA is promoting. There is no choice in putting gear you have 1000s of or not unless you gain an advantage from not doing it. So how is not lvling toons to keep your roster lean , not the same. Your roster works better with less investment, isnt that against what cg wanted, which is , the reason they nerfed zombie.
    So it absolutely is
  • Starrisen
    26 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Now, how can the player show his evaluation/decision? A possible solution would be the player being able to disable/lock the toon for GA so that it neither can't be used nor will be counted towards matchmaking GP (sth similar to the random TW 6k limit). A second way would be to allow players to completely reset chars to locked state and redeem gear and ability mats.

That said, I agree with you that each player should judge the value of their toons individually not the devs. However, as you dismiss the ideas and complaints in this (and other similar) thread with your advice I have yet to find a post where you hint at how players are supposed to achieve what you propose.
    I really would appriciate your insight on this.

Actually I like this idea - Devs, why not allow us to build a GA roster (via some sort of tagging mechanism), make it a minimum number of chars for different player levels if need be (so say a level 85 might have to choose a min of 100 chars to be part of a GA - 35 set for defense, then the rest gives you a reasonable offense pool). Use both player level and chosen roster GP as part of determining the MM.

It might create some diversity in 5x5 GA, maybe if I am getting sick of G12 Revan v Revan etc. I might chose to build a roster with some of my mid tier teams and see how they play out in a similar GP band.

Alternatively maybe force some slots to be certain factions to enable those who have built deeper rosters to use some of the less used characters or factions (I mean seriously, at the top, you can almost guarantee the 7 teams on offense and defense, as they are almost always within a the same set of around 80-90 characters that are top tier with synergy.

The reality is most people won't be putting G9 or lower characters up in fights against G11/12's
    except for the very occasional synergy, so why count these in the matchmaking GP calculations.

Personally I am getting matched up too often against opponents that have a much more focussed roster and really have no way to beat them except when they don't play the match (maybe I could drop mods across the bottom half my roster as I notice some others have done to get their GP down - but this does not help QOL).
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Tanzos wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »
    Funny how people think sandbagging is resource management. I have every single toon at level 85 and still have over 100m credits. I have 10s of thousands of green and blue ability mats, over 1000 purple mats, thousands of low level gear. Not using them has nothing to do with "resource management," it has everything to do with gaming the GA system to get easier opponents.

How can it possibly have "everything to do with gaming the GA system" when people have been playing this way for years before GA was even a thing?

Because back then there wasn't enough credits and ability mats to go around to max everyone out. Now those are in great abundance and only until the last two Weekly Shop Drops have I actually gone below 50mil in credits.

Yeah. Everybody's credit woes magically disappeared 2 months ago, and all those hoarders would have suddenly started promoting and leveling all their characters if not for the advent of Grand Arena at the exact same time. Sure.

My credit stash has been in place for at least 6 months. It has not increased in that time, because the characters I have chosen to work on and the mods I have purchased, upgraded, and sliced in the mods 2.0 world have consumed my credit income. If Grand Arena had never been instituted, my roster would look almost exactly as it does right now.