GA Season 1 ending??

I remember when GA first dropped there was an announcement speaking about...

That after Seasons ended the Top (x amount) would be bracketed together in an "Elite" group pool.

Does anyone else remember this?

I cant find it.

Replies

• I check and only found about season 0 exhibition that was just the first one, but not more words about more seasons...
  • Yeah, I looked too and couldnt find it.
  • the informations i found about GA are :
    Grand Arena General info

All players start in Bronzium League each Season
    Earn League promotion based on your rank at the end of an Event
    Division I is locked in for the top 8,192 players based on GP at the start of the 1st event each Season
    End of Event Rewards are granted at the end of each Event based on your League
    End of Season Rewards are sent at the end of the Season based on your League and Division

Grand Arena League info

Bronzium -> Top 4 ranks advance to Chromium League
    Chromium -> top 4 advance to Aurodium league
    Aurodium -> Rank 1 advances to Carbonite League
    Carbonite -> Rank 1 advances to Kyber League (Division I only)
    Kyber -> Top 32 players each season in Division I

but i can't see nowhere in the game in wich league i am and no number of season or how far in the season we are...
    i wonder how to find out...
  • Where did you find that info? I r never seen that before.
  • It's datamined info.. It's not being used.
  • Thanks keknoby... thanks sigsig.

I knew I'd seen that somewhere. Dudnt realize it was datamine info.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    sigsig wrote: »
    It's datamined info.. It's not being used.

So, in other words, something that would make the matchmaking bearable - grouping players based on previous results - ends up not getting used? I'm not even surprised...
  • Nauros wrote: »

So, in other words, something that would make the matchmaking bearable - grouping players based on previous results - ends up not getting used? I'm not even surprised...

Because it wouldn't work. ELO is a flawed system because you an tank your ranking when you don't care about the rewards, then get matched against weaker opponents in order to go on a win streak.

In games with a similar ranking system, what inevitably winds up happening is the top end of the tiers are accurate, but the bottom ends are a mismatch of new folks who can't progress to the next tier because they have to face off against people with great rosters that just want cupcake matches that they'll definitely win.

The system that replaced it was to have reward tiers based off your raw galactic power. This way you have to face off against people who have roughly your galactic power instead of searching out cupcakes. It's not perfect, but it's preferable.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Harlow wrote: »
    That after Seasons ended the Top (x amount) would be bracketed together in an "Elite" group pool.
    Yeah, that was not anything official that ever came from CG. The official announcements made no mention of how subsequent seasons would work or about anything special happening at the end of seasons.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »

Because it wouldn't work. ELO is a flawed system because you an tank your ranking when you don't care about the rewards, then get matched against weaker opponents in order to go on a win streak.

In games with a similar ranking system, what inevitably winds up happening is the top end of the tiers are accurate, but the bottom ends are a mismatch of new folks who can't progress to the next tier because they have to face off against people with great rosters that just want cupcake matches that they'll definitely win.

The system that replaced it was to have reward tiers based off your raw galactic power. This way you have to face off against people who have roughly your galactic power instead of searching out cupcakes. It's not perfect, but it's preferable.

Why not do both? There are enough players to do that without making people fight with very diff GP
  • NicWester wrote: »

Of course GP would have to be taken into account, but an ELO based system within the GP brackets would solve the issue quite well.
    Also, there are no reward tiers based off GP in the GA.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

I like the current matchmaking far better. With the current design players who developed a strong roster for GA have an advantage over players whos roster is weak for GA.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »

I like the current matchmaking far better. With the current design players who developed a strong roster for GA have an advantage over players whos roster is weak for GA.

Yeah, like disregard ships and focus on characters, for example, because that is a huge advantage even when ships are present in GA. But go ahead, defend the system that favors you.

Yeah, like disregard ships and focus on characters, for example, because that is a huge advantage even when ships are present in GA. But go ahead, defend the system that favors you.

I did point out before the issue with ship gp in GA but now however, it is alot fairer. Ship gp isnt used anymore to determine matchup when the GA does not have a fleet node.

In contrast, a strong fleet roster actually makes a big difference now especially in the mid ranks (2-3mil gp). Being able to deploy a strong defense yet have a decently strong attacking fleet puts u atan advantage over another with only one fleet to use.

Still need 2 good fleets for GA when they involve ships. They did state that they were going to stop taking ship GP into account when ships aren't being used in the GA. Don't disregard ships, but theres no need to uselessly upgrade crew members to inflate GP anymore.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member

I did point out before the issue with ship gp in GA but now however, it is alot fairer. Ship gp isnt used anymore to determine matchup when the GA does not have a fleet node.

In contrast, a strong fleet roster actually makes a big difference now especially in the mid ranks (2-3mil gp). Being able to deploy a strong defense yet have a decently strong attacking fleet puts u atan advantage over another with only one fleet to use.

Except good fleets are useless when you get stonewalled with significantly better characters in the first line. Someone with lousy fleet will have better characters to reach the same GP, so they will likely clear everything except your fleet while you will likely not get past both the first fields, resulting in 3 cleared fields for them and 2 for you.
  • I like the system we have. But seasons and leagues could work if they kept it gp-based to prevent the aforementioned cupcake-hunting. Just take the winners of each ga, and match them the same way. If you don't win, you don't move up. That way, if you intentionally lose, you're not gaining any progress. Or something like that, i don't know. I like the idea of tournament-styled progession, but it gets complicated and easy to exploit. Maybe there's a way.

Except good fleets are useless when you get stonewalled with significantly better characters in the first line. Someone with lousy fleet will have better characters to reach the same GP, so they will likely clear everything except your fleet while you will likely not get past both the first fields, resulting in 3 cleared fields for them and 2 for you.

If you can't beat two teams to get to a ship territory, you haven't saved enough for offense or you've simply developed poor characters. Yes not everyone can get the legendary characters or high end raid characters right away, but if you have an even GP with someone who does have those characters it means you've put effort into developing other characters. If those other characters aren't the counters to said teams, you're going to lose and you should lose because your strategy isn't as good as either theirs or someone with your GP who did develop counters to those toons. It's still a p2w game, people pay for advantages, you have to use different strategies if you want to beat someone who has better characters than you do.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Vertigo wrote: »

If you can't beat two teams to get to a ship territory, you haven't saved enough for offense or you've simply developed poor characters. Yes not everyone can get the legendary characters or high end raid characters right away, but if you have an even GP with someone who does have those characters it means you've put effort into developing other characters. If those other characters aren't the counters to said teams, you're going to lose and you should lose because your strategy isn't as good as either theirs or someone with your GP who did develop counters to those toons. It's still a p2w game, people pay for advantages, you have to use different strategies if you want to beat someone who has better characters than you do.

Ok, once more. My point is that you can't beat all four frontline teams of someone with significantly higher character GP and ships don't compensate for it. It's not about having legendaries, it's about putting up 4 grade A teams and lousy ships vs. good ships and 2 grade A and 2 grade B teams. If you can't get through both top and bottom, better ships won't save you.
    You - beating top field + ships = 2 cleared fields for you.
    Them - beating everything except ships = 3 cleared fields for them.
    They win.
    Vertigo wrote: »

Ok, once more. My point is that you can't beat all four frontline teams of someone with significantly higher character GP and ships don't compensate for it. It's not about having legendaries, it's about putting up 4 grade A teams and lousy ships vs. good ships and 2 grade A and 2 grade B teams. If you can't get through both top and bottom, better ships won't save you.
    You - beating top field + ships = 2 cleared fields for you.
    Them - beating everything except ships = 3 cleared fields for them.
    They win.

I’ve yet to be matched against someone that can clear my ship zone at 2.5mil GP so it’s been working pretty good for me. A lot of people don’t focus on ships and it costs them where as the extra character GP hasn’t made much of a difference.

I put a weaker defence in front of the ships to get them to take that path and my best defence in the opposite lane. Either way though, best case scenario for them is 3 zones cleared to my 4.

3v3 on the other hand with no ships and the GP being held against me is less fun.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

The system favours those, that developed a strong roster. I see no problem in this. I would, however, see a problem if players with weaker rosters (same GP) would have higher chances of winning first prize.

What was your point with ships/characters? Please elaborate.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member

The system favours those, that developed a strong roster. I see no problem in this. I would, however, see a problem if players with weaker rosters (same GP) would have higher chances of winning first prize.

What was your point with ships/characters? Please elaborate.

I already did, but here goes again: Character GP is much more useful than ship GP, even when ships are present. Disregarding ships (and losing one field as a result) means you get matched with someone with significantly weaker characters, who will likely not break through your front line both on top and bottom, so you win even if you have no chance to clear their ships.
    And while the system favors what you label as "strong", it leads to unfun matches that are pretty much decided even before defense is set. And fun should be the foremost goal of a game.

It wouldn't be that hard for them to simply tweak the algorithm so as to separate, then compare fleet GP and character GP separately. But CG seems more focussed on making players spend then on making them happy.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*