Potential solution to the Revan catastrophe: Off/Def teams in the arena

So with a solid wall of Revans down to at least the 300's (as I've tested by using a non-revan team in the arena), I think everyone here is pretty bored with how the arena is going these days. The main problem is that Revan is so much better than every other team on both offense and defense that all anyone has to do is gear up their Revans and hide in the sea to avoid being hit. This obviously strangles diversity in a way that would make David Duke blush. I was thinking a potential solution would be to allow players to use their Arena teams for offense OR defense, but not both. Similar to GW, you could set a defensive team, but then you couldn't use anyone on that team (or any of that team's mods) for your offensive team. Yes, you'd still see a TON of Revan teams when you're attacking, but it would at least cut out the worst part of it: Revan v Revan. Basically, anyone who wanted to climb in the Arena and didn't have a non-revan solution to counter Revans on defense would have to pull theirs out and throw someone else in. And anyone who did have a good Revan counter could happily play their non-mirror match without being relentlessly targeted by the masses. Is it perfect? Obviously not, you'd see a lot more timeout teams. But on the plus side you could experiment with your Arena teams and start having fun again.

Replies

• Options
    Having come from two previous games with this feature I much prefer the way it is in SWGOH. Two teams just results in two metas, twice the farming, and twice the chance to be pressured into spending.
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    More equal top tier teams would just mean that you get pushed around even more in arena. Right now all you need to do is have one of the viable counters (I suppose after the random targetting of Traya, JTR works best), you climb to the position you want within an hour of your payout and then switch back to defense.
    It might be boring to see a sea of Revans, but if there were more teams of similar power, on older shards it's guaranteed that each player of the top 500 would have at least one of them. Just imagine taking 1st one day and waking up in the 300s the next.