In game purchases

Whiskey
97 posts Member
edited December 2015
Curious if anyone out there has insight into this from an insiders pov (hoping maybe someone playing has actually worked on a game like this and knows some numbers).

I've spent about $50 so far (go working professional!). For some this may seem like a lot; for me, it's way under what I'd normally spend. For example, I spent wayyyy more than I care to admit on the marvel equivalent of this game. Mainly because they priced most of their stuff between $5-$20 for equivalent toon packages etc. This led to more impulse buys for me, plus I simply felt I was getting a "good deal".

I simply can't accept that from a moneymaking position, EA/Disney is actually making MORE money with the prices being so high vice if they were lowered to that sweet impulse buy mark closer to $5-$10. It seems like everyone would win more.

And obviously I'm excluding other factors like game balance if everyone is buying stuff left and right, but so much comes down to RNG and the sad computer AI I don't even care to apply that here.

Anyways, here's hoping someone out there has worked in accounting or something for an app!

Replies

• Camalus
    217 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Well accounting is accounting, if you can do your checkbook you can be an accountant. Debits/Credits/Liabilites , If the numbers say people aren't buying then they change tactics as needed but it was upwards of 60 USD for the McLaren F1 in Need for Speed world and they sold em like hotcakes. Any really good car was a minimum of 20 USD barebones before parts, rims, tint, bodykits, etc. That game lasted 5 years, they crumbled due to from what I heard, Some people in the office were stealing.(subsequently 2 studios in B.C were shut down because of this) Yes we were left with no development team for about a year and a half. Then.. a huge glitch caused 2 cars to get repeatedly redeemed for free, thousands of people stayed up all night collecting 300+ cars and car slots, I think that was the catalyst to the downfall of the game itself not the high prices, I knew people who payed over 6k in that game alone. Don't underestimate the greed of human beings
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Whiskey wrote: »
    Curious if anyone out there has insight into this from an insiders pov (hoping maybe someone playing has actually worked on a game like this and knows some numbers).

I've spent about $50 so far (go working professional!). For some this may seem like a lot; for me, it's way under what I'd normally spend. For example, I spent wayyyy more than I care to admit on the marvel equivalent of this game. Mainly because they priced most of their stuff between $5-$20 for equivalent toon packages etc. This led to more impulse buys for me, plus I simply felt I was getting a "good deal".

I simply can't accept that from a moneymaking position, EA/Disney is actually making MORE money with the prices being so high vice if they were lowered to that sweet impulse buy mark closer to $5-$10. It seems like everyone would win more.

And obviously I'm excluding other factors like game balance if everyone is buying stuff left and right, but so much comes down to RNG and the sad computer AI I don't even care to apply that here.

Anyways, here's hoping someone out there has worked in accounting or something for an app!

Listen Bud, the amounts they are charging are astronomical. My kids were playing this game and I made the terible mistake of not pasword protecting my account. My kids have charged 10 or 20 here and there that I didn't approve of but this game can reach thousands of dollars very easily. I called google and they are mailing me a form to file a formal complaint. These devs are like JZ and Biggie in their crack dealing days and I'm going to let Google, lucasfilms, and Disney know.
  • Right on @J7000 !