Revan/CLS/Nest Taunt ignore, and Marked mechanics

Prev1
Ninjah9
906 posts Member
edited February 2019
It's pretty much a given that the General Grievous/Seperatist rework was a huge disappointment. There are quite a few reasons for this, but the biggest issue with his rework; and the overall game right now is how op Revan is. I could write an entire book about how ridiculously op his kit is, but I'd rather work towards solutions. A small fix that could some what remedy the situation is by fixing the interaction between taunt ignore, and marked. Marked is a brand new debuff, and its possible that the devs overlooked this detail. "Marked" shouldn't be able to be ignored by characters with "Taunt" ignore, simple as that. This would give GG more viability in arena, and tone down Revan just a tiny bit. I mean things just start to get ridiculous when Revan can mark 2 characters at a time anyway. This solution also gives the devs room to claim this was a negligent error, and not just poor design; like when they "fixed" nest many months after she was released. Overall this is a simple fix, and it wont solve all the things wrong with Revan and the game right now, but it could help to get a little more diversity back in arena. Not to mention give a little consolation to the players who had their hopes crushed by this rework.
Post edited by Ninjah9 on

Replies

• So basically replace marked with fracture?
  • Ninjah9
    906 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    No, i didn't say anything even resembling that???
  • UdalCuain
    5009 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Marked applies a taunt, why shouldn’t characters that can ignore taunt be able to ignore it?
    5rdzvvglplao.jpg
  • Because marked should function like a taunt, but different.
  • The character shouldn't be able to gain taunt anyway because of the buff immunity. Something was not thought out right with this mechanic...
  • Ninjah9 wrote: »
    The character shouldn't be able to gain taunt anyway because of the buff immunity. Something was not thought out right with this mechanic...

What? It's the Marked ability itself that applies a taunt. It's built in to the Marked effects, which can't be evaded or resisted. Got a feeling this is another one of those discussions that will go round in circles.
  • You can win with GG even with B1 marked.
  • Ninjah9
    906 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Do you see what I mean though? That the character shouldn't be unable to gain the taunt "buff" while he has a locked buff immunity. What I'm saying is that marked should force all units to target the marked character, and "taunt" ignore shouldn't be able to get around "marked". Maybe in the future they could make an ability where a character can ignore "marked" instead of "taunt". But the main point is that marked, and taunt can have the same function but one is a debuff, while the other is a buff.
  • Ninjah9
    906 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    You can win with GG even with B1 marked.

That's not the point, the interaction that I'm proposing would mostly help GG by not allowing Revan/CLS to get around the droids that GG applies marked to.
  • UdalCuain
    5009 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Ninjah9 wrote: »
    Do you see what I mean though? That the character shouldn't be unable to gain the taunt "buff" while he has a locked buff immunity. What I'm saying is that marked should force all units to target the marked character, and "taunt" ignore shouldn't be able to get around "marked". Maybe in the future they could make an ability where a character can ignore "marked" instead of "taunt". But the main point is that marked, and taunt can have the same function but one is a debuff, while the other is a buff.

Nope. Marked is a forced taunt, says right there in the mechanics screenshot I posted. Therefore anyone who can ignore taunts should be able to ignore it. I disagree with you. Why should kits people rely on be made less effective to make a failed rework better?

As far as the buff immunity argument, as I've already said, the effects from marked can't be evaded or resisted. Same deal as using Vader's ability block on basic against a Jedi with tenacity up.

It's not gaining a buff. It's gaining an effect. Subtle difference, but important to the mechanic.

I agree though, Mark is its own ability and should have its own effect called 'Mark' that can, and should, behave differently than Taunt. Or they should just call it 'Forced Taunt' and use a red Taunt indicator instead of the Mark indicator.
  • Yes you are correct, but what I'm saying is that this should be changed.
  • jhbuchholz wrote: »

It's not gaining a buff. It's gaining an effect. Subtle difference, but important to the mechanic.

I agree though, Mark is its own ability and should have its own effect called 'Mark' that can, and should, behave differently than Taunt. Or they should just call it 'Forced Taunt' and use a red Taunt indicator instead of the Mark indicator.

Taunt is a buff
    Yes you are correct, but what I'm saying is that this should be changed.

To which I bring it back to this point: Why should kits people rely on be made less effective to make a failed rework better?
  • Remember Nest??? And that was to make an already op character better, pure garbage. And this has more to do with the overall game, than just GG. This dynamic would also prevent Revan from marking 2 characters at a time.
    Remember Nest??? And that was to make an already op character better, pure garbage. And this has more to do with the overall game, than just GG. This dynamic would also prevent Revan from marking 2 characters at a time.

Nest was broken, this isn't.
  • That never would have got fixed, if it wasnt to make Revan better. And many would argue that Revan is breaking the game, almost 90% of arena is one team.
  • At this point the game should be called galaxy of revans...
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

Taunt is a buff

And an effect. Mark is not applying the buff. Only the effect.
  • Ninjah9
    906 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    And it never said anywhere in Nest's kit that the bonus protection was based on her current health, so technically she wasn't broken. It was a very deliberate change made to make Revan more ridiculously dominant than he already was.
  • jhbuchholz wrote: »

Taunt is a buff

Read the description on the post above, marked is applying taunt to the target.
    And it never said anywhere in Nest's kit that the bonus protection was based on her current health, so technically she wasn't broken. It was very deliberate change to make Revan more ridiculously dominant than he already was.

Bonus protection (on all characters and ships) has been based on max health since it's inception. It allows characters below gear 7 to gain bonus protection. They won't get any bonus protection if it was based of protection they don’t have yet due to gear levels.
  • Ninjah9
    906 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Yes true, but her bonus protection was not a buff like most other characters. It functioned specifically to her, and could have been translated any way the devs wanted it to. But let's not get off track here, Nest is irrelevant to the current issues.
    Yes true, but her bonus protection was not a buff like most other characters. It functioned specifically to her, and could have been translated any way the devs wanted it to. But let's not get off track here, Nest is irrelevant to the current issues.

Still bonus protection, so still should have her max health reduced, therefore she was broken.

Good luck with your taunt rant.
  • Taunt rant? ...really?

Taunt is a buff

Read the description on the post above, marked is applying taunt to the target.

I did. It's applying the effect. Not the buff.

I agree with you on this one and I'm trying to help you make your argument stronger. If you can't differentiate between a buff and an effect then many folks are going to dismiss your arguments as uninformed.
  • You're right, I misunderstood what you were saying. That's another good reason that characters with taunt ignore shouldn't be able to ignore characters with marked.
  • That's actually the same point I was trying to make to @ChristophIV , lol.
    That's actually the same point I was trying to make to @ChristophIV , lol.

Point out where I said it applies a buff. I'll wait.

It has all the effects of a taunt without the little green marker. It is still a taunt.
  • Ninjah9
    906 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Yea, that's what we're saying. I think we're all on the same page with that. Except that the character gains the effect of taunt, but it isnt technically a taunt. The truth is we could argue in circles about this, but its ultimately up to the devs how they translate this.