Social Movement Theory and GG

So I have been thinking on the GG issue and how the issue came about. The first is how a key communicator, ahnold was mobilizing the players using somewhat universal grievance, that of Revan dominating the arena and the lack of options. The while issue was framed as a fix for the common grievance and there was the opportunity allowed to either rectify the grievance or to exacerbate it through the GG release. Through this key communicator we have a small social movement in process with the same grievances, potentially providing for a continued movement.

Sorry to “nerd out” on this, but you can see the start of a social movement (SMT) with the GG release.

Replies

• Options
    I couldn't make sense of what you were trying to say from all the typos, however when it comes to the movement thing, I think the devs do whatever they want and they don't really care about anyone or anything, not the players not the game changers. They only one they care about is their shareholders
  • Options
    This game and any others especially on mobile platforms are about money plain and simple...
  • Options
    You did not nerd out. You got quasi-philosophical, but with the wrong words so as to confuse anyone trying to read what you said.
    First, ahnold “mobilized” nobody. He has wanted a Grievous rework for well over a year. Combine that with the Revan issue, and an average sw junkie would think a Grievous rework in the middle of a Jedi renaissance would make for slain Jedi. That notion is obviously too much common sense for CG to fathom.
    CG have bragged about keeping a “5 year plan”. And they’ll be damned if they let the state of the game, nor their customers, get in The Plan’s way.
    Secondly, you keep saying “social movement”. Uhhhhh...WHAT social movement? Have a significant number of players quit the game? Are people protesting outside CG’s doors? Have people done anything other than complain on the internets? No. We have made no demands, nor calls for “justice”. We will simply continue playing this game - or not - despite how ignorant the decisions at CG are.
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • Options
    Look at from there perspective. How are they ignorant?? I think they are brilliant making millions off a game like this one cash grab after another. People get excited and jump on the bandwagon and spend a ton of money for a character. Whether that character is good or not you will not know until after there release. Thays on you if you decide to spend money and resources on characters that aren’t proven yet.
  • Options
    I think I understand you, although I may not. In short, the problem is Revan, not GG.

In long, I think it was something like this:

1. Lots of people like GG and wanted him reworked.
    2. A person with a channel wanted it a lot too (nothing wong with this).
    3. In Background, one of most OP metas in game with Revan.
    4. It is suggested that GG is a counter to said meta (nothing wrong with this as he can beat him).
    5. Youtubers are passionate and post videos (nothing wrong with this).
    6. Fans get expectectations even more than normal (this is where things start going south).
    7. GG rework is released. He can beat Revan, but can't guarantee #1 on auto when they put their C team mods on their 4* g10 characters.
    8. Normal amount of complaining ensues. Forum goes to 9 on irrational scale.
    9. But there is extra amount of whining also because of extra hype. Forum goes to 10 on irrational scale.
    10. People regret spending money and blame it on everyone else but themselves. Gnash teeth, pull hair, threaten to delete/leave/go f2p/complain to their congressman.
    11. Life, such as it is on a gaming forum, returns to normal. Forum goes back to the nice normal level of 8 on the irrational scale.
    12. Repeat for next release/rework.
  • Gawejn
    1106 posts Member
    Options
    But at least we got a free to play tank with dmg imunity for Jtr team to beat Revan. 3 stars is enough :).
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    How about the mace rework social movement ?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Comatose wrote: »
    Look at from there perspective. How are they ignorant?? I think they are brilliant making millions off a game like this one cash grab after another. People get excited and jump on the bandwagon and spend a ton of money for a character. Whether that character is good or not you will not know until after there release. Thays on you if you decide to spend money and resources on characters that aren’t proven yet.

You have all solid points. My mention of CG being ignorant is from a players perspective, not their perspective. They have been awe-inspiring thus far: getting people’s money while simultaneously ticking them off. Rather brilliant in that regard.
    My gripe is not with GG’s lackluster performance. My gripe is with Revan. If you take Revan out: GG has an absolutely amazing mechanic that is fun to play with! I like the idea of an ‘attack only’ squad that sucks on defense. Problem is: he kinda sucks on offense, too. He has a unique that cannot kill his allies...but it kills 2 of his allies. That is perplexing...but still kind of fun. The fact is he cannot do anything better than any team we already have. He’s a new mechanic that has no place. If his rework had come out when Revan first came out, and Revan first came out at the time GG got his rework: GG would have had a place, and been more viable and playable. Knowing what we know now: it makes more sense to g12 and zeta Phoenix over GG. Same 5 zetas, same 5 g12s, more usability.
  • Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    I think I understand you, although I may not. In short, the problem is Revan, not GG.

In long, I think it was something like this:

1. Lots of people like GG and wanted him reworked.
    2. A person with a channel wanted it a lot too (nothing wong with this).
    3. In Background, one of most OP metas in game with Revan.
    4. It is suggested that GG is a counter to said meta (nothing wrong with this as he can beat him).
    5. Youtubers are passionate and post videos (nothing wrong with this).
    6. Fans get expectectations even more than normal (this is where things start going south).
    7. GG rework is released. He can beat Revan, but can't guarantee #1 on auto when they put their C team mods on their 4* g10 characters.
    8. Normal amount of complaining ensues. Forum goes to 9 on irrational scale.
    9. But there is extra amount of whining also because of extra hype. Forum goes to 10 on irrational scale.
    10. People regret spending money and blame it on everyone else but themselves. Gnash teeth, pull hair, threaten to delete/leave/go f2p/complain to their congressman.
    11. Life, such as it is on a gaming forum, returns to normal. Forum goes back to the nice normal level of 8 on the irrational scale.
    12. Repeat for next release/rework.

Winner! Nailed it