Setting no defense epidemic getting worse

An hour into GA and my guild has already had 8 opponents not set a defense. By the time everyone checks in I’m guessing that number is going to be north of 15+, but even if only two more people reported their opponent not setting defense, that would still mean 20% of my guild’s opponents didn’t set defense.

It’s pretty inexcusable this hasn’t been fixed yet. My guild spends a lot of time and effort talking strategy, mods, team composition, counters, etc. and it’s pretty frustrating to be really looking forward to GA just to find out you can’t play because your opponent decided it wasn’t worth their time.

Fix it! Either automatically populate a defense for people who don’t set one or make it so they get no rewards for the entirety of the GA, regardless of what they do in later rounds. Getting a participation reward for 8th place when you don’t actually participate is pretty lame.

Replies

• Idk about anyone else but I thought it would automatically set defense and ended up with no defense.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    It's 3v3. I believe the rate of 'defenseless' players is higher in 3v3 than in 5v5.
  • If they set no defence, they should be allowed no attack
    Whatever they set in defence squads, then let them have the same percentage for attack.
    So 3/10 squads lets them have 30% of .... what?
    30% of toons is too generous
    30% of available GP means they can use very few of their very strong toons. It puts the burden on the player who doesn’t use a full defence.
    Anyone using rubbish squads in defence will let their opponent have overwhelming victories.
  • You cannot force people to do something to gain nothing (ok, you can try but unless they are slaves results can be pretty bad). And there is nothing to gain from setting defenses if you are going to lose anyway. If people see overwhelming opponent (which happens in every GA now) why should they care?

The only solution I see is to give same reward to attacker for every empty space as if he really defeated some squads with max efficiency. And, of course, implement GA ranking algorithms to ensure proper matchmaking.
  • Ikky2win wrote: »
    An hour into GA and my guild has already had 8 opponents not set a defense. By the time everyone checks in I’m guessing that number is going to be north of 15+, but even if only two more people reported their opponent not setting defense, that would still mean 20% of my guild’s opponents didn’t set defense.

It’s pretty inexcusable this hasn’t been fixed yet. My guild spends a lot of time and effort talking strategy, mods, team composition, counters, etc. and it’s pretty frustrating to be really looking forward to GA just to find out you can’t play because your opponent decided it wasn’t worth their time.

Fix it! Either automatically populate a defense for people who don’t set one or make it so they get no rewards for the entirety of the GA, regardless of what they do in later rounds. Getting a participation reward for 8th place when you don’t actually participate is pretty lame.

I only set no defence when I get a match like my first 1 this time the so called match I have has 25 more g12 units than me and traya and raven both again I don't have. My ga has been destroyed why should I give the other player a good experience at my expense?
    The issue is the matching system and the fix is not an auto deploy it's CG pulling it's head out and fixing the matching.
    I will continue to do this till CG fix the mess they made.
    Fyi I do set defence when I get a fare match.
  • Darth_DeVito
    1232 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Hortus wrote: »
    You cannot force people to do something to gain nothing (ok, you can try but unless they are slaves results can be pretty bad). And there is nothing to gain from setting defenses if you are going to lose anyway. If people see overwhelming opponent (which happens in every GA now) why should they care?

The only solution I see is to give same reward to attacker for every empty space as if he really defeated some squads with max efficiency. And, of course, implement GA ranking algorithms to ensure proper matchmaking.

I really like your solution. In reply to your question, I gained the warm fuzzy feeling of being a good sport who provides a vastly more powerful opponent with some entertainment, a chance to earn some credits, and maybe even a little bit of a challenge.

ETA: ...plus a chance to work on their quests. I made plenty of progress myself thanks to my opponent's strong defenses and managed to earn 140k at least. Might as well return the favor.

• It’s just vindictive not to place teams on defense because you’re overmatched. It’s not your opponent’s fault. He or she didn’t choose the matchup. They hit join just like you did. It’s CG’s fault for the poor matchup. Don’t punish your opponent for something they have no control over.