In a game where speed typically reigns supreme...

I've been playing this game for a few years now and sadly am still trying to get a decent grip on understanding mods. Until more recently I never really thought about mods too much when applying them to toons. I would just throw them on and hope for the best only to learn the hard way that speed is a very important portion of mod contribution. I've asked several questions about mods in the past but this one bugs me. Since speed is a big part of winning at least a good portion of the time, do any of the other stats that a mod offer even matter? I've been told to look for mods with speed secondaries but what about primary stats and other things? Even if the mod has terrible stats everywhere else but a huge speed stat is it still considered good?

Replies

• For the most part yes. The stat on the triangle usually determines its usability, but for most other mods the speed is the only important thing, although tanks benefit more from protection/health primaries and such.
  • Generally, yes, go for speed.
    However, you will encounter some characters where it just doesnt make sense. E. G. Sith Trooper. He doesnt do any damage, he doesnt have any supportive abilities, so really, its pointless to put speed on it. Go for defrnse/health/tenacizy instead.

Similarly, typically on damage dealers, you want crit damage primary (only available on triangle).

Running a palpa team and your all enemy shock is being resistes all the time? Put him Potency sets, potency primary (on cross).
  • So basically cross and triangle mods should focus towards a toon's attack style and everything else is just for speed? Now as far as bounty hunters for the chewie event I should do critical damage for triangle, potency on cross and go for speed on the rest? I've got a lot of mixed answers about this but I keep hearing speed or potency but not sure what to go with
  • Just for reference I'd like to know how you set up your mods for dengar for chewie. I currently have him at gear 12 and all Zeta'd out but I am running only 4 dot mods on him at the moment as I am trying to figure out which mods would be best for him
  • Mod types/sets, Primaries and secondaries are of course very important as well, and modding a character to correctly support their kit is almost always more important than trying to squeeze another 8 or 10 speed out of secondaries.
    The exceptions there are pure support types like Hermit Yoda, or the ‘engines’ that drive TM gain for your team and need to go as early as possible to start the train (think characters like First Order Officer, Jawa Engineer, Colonol Starck, Poe).

In general (you will always want to look at the characters abilities to see if there is a specific stat that you may want to build for that is outside the norm, like adding tenacity to Jolee, or health to Greivious) you can kind of build towards ‘class’ tag

Attackers generally want offense or CD sets, usually with a CC set. Generally, (speed, offense, CC, secondaries ideal for their mods - also worth noting that ‘flat’ offense is usually better than % offense, although a few high base damage characters like CLS and GMY do just as well with either) protection circle, speed arrow, CD triangle, and either an offense or protection cross, depending on their ‘squishiness’. If they have a stun or other debuff applying attack that you want to capitalize on, you can add a potency cross (and look for potency secondaries as well)

Tanks (and I mean the taunting tanks) generally want health sets. (And there are a lot of weird tanks, some you want fast, some slow, but generally defense, health, protection, tenacity are good secondaries for them) then pile those protection primaries on for the circle, arrow (some cases for crit avoidance or speed), triangle, and cross.

Supports, healers, and in most cases your squad leader (usually regardless of class) is where you usually want to emphasize speed the most. Speed set and a secondary set (usually based on their kit) is the go to load out there (debuff applier? Potency set and cross. Cleanser? Tenacity set and cross. Attacker? CC set. healer? Health set.)

Hope that helps a little, it is just a very, very broad overview.
  • Coolnessda wrote: »
    Just for reference I'd like to know how you set up your mods for dengar for chewie. I currently have him at gear 12 and all Zeta'd out but I am running only 4 dot mods on him at the moment as I am trying to figure out which mods would be best for him

Which lead are you going to be running? Dengar doesn’t hit super hard no matter what you do, but he has a situational stun and can apply a fair amount of debuffs, so building him balance of protection and speed with at least one potency set and a potency cross is my suggestion. His main contribution to the fight is keeping them from going into stealth during that first volley so you can actually pick the team apart before they Gun you down.