Grand Arena Zeta Differential

AltDeLeet
12 posts Member
edited February 2019
Thanks, CG, for another Grand Arena matchup with an opponent with many more zetas than me. An 18 zeta deficit would have been fine, but 19 is ridiculous. Either let people decommission or de-gear old/useless characters or fix your effin matchmaking so zetas and play time are taken into consideration.

Replies

• Why doesn’t cg just let you pick your opponent so that you know you can beat them?

• Thanks for the troll. Helpful.

• Sometimes that’s what it takes to make you look outside your own narrow view. How are they going to do what your proposing. Save your time and don’t hope for such things. How would you quantify what weight each zeta is worth? I can promise you that luminaras zeta is not equal to any of revans zetas. So if they just add some value to the equation that takes into account number of zetas , you’ll just be back on here complaining that your farmboy luke zeta is getting treated as if it was bastillia leadership.
  • Again, helpful troll is helpful.
  • AltDeLeet wrote: »
    Thanks for the troll. Helpful.

To be fair his response kind of seemed like the only solution that would make you happy.

Everyone has a different playstyle and set of goals in this game. Some are much more focused on PvP (Arena/Fleet Arena/GA/TW). Others are more focused on guild events such as Raids and TB.

Everyone will have a different roster due to what they decided to focus on. Matching people based on GP makes the most sense because it is quick, easy and relatively accurate. As soon as you start proposing different ways of match-making it can get WAY too complicated.
  • His initial response is not in any way, shape, or form what I was asking for. Picking my opponent or looking for an insta-win does not equal an updated matchmaking algorithm that properly weights zetas in GP for more competitive matches. 50% more zetas at the highest GP level tier is terribly uneven plain and simple.
    His initial response is not in any way, shape, or form what I was asking for. Picking my opponent or looking for an insta-win does not equal an updated matchmaking algorithm that properly weights zetas in GP for more competitive matches. 50% more zetas at the highest GP level tier is terribly uneven plain and simple.

So instead of just presenting us with the problem maybe you should also offer up your potential solution?

Anyone can complain about a problem but someone who actually wants to be productive will also offer up a potential solution/ array of solutions.

What factors should they use to determine match-making? Number of zetas? Number of gear 12/11/10? How many Hero Journey characters do you have? Have many legendaries do you have?
  • CG has all of the data required to update the GP calculation. It would be simple for them to run a regression analysis on all of the GA matches and results and uncover the proper weighting that should be applied to zetas, G12s, 6 dot mods, etc. My hypothesis is that zetas are currently undervalued in GP calculations. An alternative approach would be for CG to set matchmaking based on the total GP of the minimum number of characters that players would need to run full offensive and defensive squads in a particular GA. There are many more less attractive options including the least attractive of all which would be to allow people to decommission or de-gear characters that over-inflate their GP. I don't think anyone would want to throw away the time and/or money they invested in any character, but that would be better than nothing.
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    AltDeLeet wrote: »
    CG has all of the data required to update the GP calculation. It would be simple for them to run a regression analysis on all of the GA matches and results and uncover the proper weighting that should be applied to zetas, G12s, 6 dot mods, etc. My hypothesis is that zetas are currently undervalued in GP calculations. An alternative approach would be for CG to set matchmaking based on the total GP of the minimum number of characters that players would need to run full offensive and defensive squads in a particular GA. There are many more less attractive options including the least attractive of all which would be to allow people to decommission or de-gear characters that over-inflate their GP. I don't think anyone would want to throw away the time and/or money they invested in any character, but that would be better than nothing.

Zetas are not directly comparable. A double zeta Farmboy Luke is not worth as much as a double zeta Traya.
    In addition, zetas already add a lot of GP to a toon - a zeta adds 2,406 GP to a 7-star toon, which is more than a full 6-dot modset and is more than the GP difference between a G11+0 toon and a G12+5 toon.

I think any matchmaking based on a fixed power calculation is going to throw up dodgy pairings, because the true power of a toon depends on what squad it's used in and metas shift over time. There's no way the devs can go around readjusting things every time there's a meta shift. That's why I think incorporating some fluid, self-correcting element to matchmaking (like the elo system that's already been proposed by a few players) would be better.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • You have 5M GP and only 47 Zetas? I am nearly a million behind you in GP and I have 49 Zetas with enough materials for 4 more. Two questions:

What have you been doing that you have so few Zetas?

Who do you think they can match you against (since almost everyone at your GP should have at least 10 more Zetas than you)?

• AltDeLeet
    12 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Zetas are primarily a factor of the length of time a person has played the game. I clearly have not played nearly as long as you, I would gather.
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    You have 5M GP and only 47 Zetas? I am nearly a million behind you in GP and I have 49 Zetas with enough materials for 4 more. Two questions:

Who do you think they can match you against (since almost everyone at your GP should have at least 10 more Zetas than you)?

• AltDeLeet
    12 posts Member
    edited February 2019

Zetas are not directly comparable. A double zeta Farmboy Luke is not worth as much as a double zeta Traya.
    In addition, zetas already add a lot of GP to a toon - a zeta adds 2,406 GP to a 7-star toon, which is more than a full 6-dot modset and is more than the GP difference between a G11+0 toon and a G12+5 toon.

I think any matchmaking based on a fixed power calculation is going to throw up dodgy pairings, because the true power of a toon depends on what squad it's used in and metas shift over time. There's no way the devs can go around readjusting things every time there's a meta shift. That's why I think incorporating some fluid, self-correcting element to matchmaking (like the elo system that's already been proposed by a few players) would be better.

Agreed, the value of individual zetas are not comparable, but I would bet that the total number of comparative zetas would prove to be highly predictive in determining outcome probability of any given GA matchup. I'd be interested in an elo system as an alternative to the current pairing process.

Zetas are primarily a factor of the length of time a person has played the game. I clearly have not played nearly as long as you, I would gather.
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    You have 5M GP and only 47 Zetas? I am nearly a million behind you in GP and I have 49 Zetas with enough materials for 4 more. Two questions:

Man, that's some serious cash. Good for you.

You ignored the more interesting question though. Who do you expect them to match you against?

And if you've been playing less time you should have the benefit of having skipped over some less useful Zetas like QGJ, Maul, Cody, Princess Leia, and Opress to make a few. It should be a fairly competitive matchup. After all, how many Zetas can you squeeze into 11 3 man teams or 7 5 man teams? Surely not all 66 your opponent has.
  • Those are good questions. In the simplest terms, I guess I would expect to be matched up against people who have played about as long as me with similar stats, like zetas, GP, g12s, 6 dots, etc. Hell, I'd be playing against fellow whales and we could finally figure out who would win a fight between a blue whale and a humpback. Marine biologists would have a field day.

You make a good point about missing out on formerly meta zetas. But on the point of how many zetas can one opponent use... my opponent has 33 zetas showing in the 3 defensive zones that I can see right now. If that bares out as an average of 11 per zone, my opponent has more than 40 zetas just on defense. I have 46 zetas in total.

Fair fight or not? I suppose your answer is based on how transformative you feel zetas are on average even on middling characters. There is some wasted uses possible for a zeta, no doubt I have negative margin for error on bad zetas where my opponent has a lot.