Slingshot mechanic

I think adding a slingshot mechanic for old characters would improve the game greatly and it could be done in a fair way. 2 ideas:
1. Significantly lower the energy required for old toons. Vets should be done with a 5 energy, not 20. Use 20 energy nodes for new characters.
2. Gear: after a length of time change the gear requirements for a character. This is tough since different gear pieces have different stats but I think it could be figured out. After a character has been out for a year swap out stun guns, carbantis and biotech implants for the gear we have thousands of.

This would have several benefits:
1. Increase profits: it's much harder to justify spending money on droideka and b1 when I don't have b2 and magmaguard.
2. I could recommend this game to friends. I actually discourage friends from joining due to how long it would take for them to have even 1 good team. It would take minimum a year to get them into my guild.
3. Competition, especially in GA. One of the biggest complaints about GA is people who have lots of g7, 7 st

Replies

• I think adding a slingshot mechanic for old characters would improve the game greatly and it could be done in a fair way. 2 ideas:
    1. Significantly lower the energy required for old toons. Vets should be done with a 5 energy, not 20. Use 20 energy nodes for new characters.
    2. Gear: after a length of time change the gear requirements for a character. This is tough since different gear pieces have different stats but I think it could be figured out. After a character has been out for a year swap out stun guns, carbantis and biotech implants for the gear we have thousands of.

This would have several benefits:
    1. Increase profits: it's much harder to justify spending money on droideka and b1 when I don't have b2 and magmaguard.
    2. I could recommend this game to friends. I actually discourage friends from joining due to how long it would take for them to have even 1 good team. It would take minimum a year to get them into my guild.
    3. Competition, especially in GA. One of the biggest complaints about GA is people who have lots of g7, 7 st

Not sure I agree with the second no2. I want there to be a grind element, and assuming you're in a decent guild I see no reason people shouldn't have to put a shift in to earn entry. I also think it's all relative - it may take them a year or whatever to get 1 good team as defined by you, but they'd join a new shard and what's good to them may well be very different, in the same way I was astounded to learn Phoenix are the go to team for new folk nowadays.
  • First, what do you mean by "shift in to early entry."? Second, when I say "good team" I mean teams that are usable in tw and sith raid.
    Second, I'm not talking about arena for them. I'm talking about the length of time it takes to enjoy all aspects of the game including usefulness in tw/hsr.
    Finally, why block the rest of us out of old teams? I'd love to have and be able to experience fo, ns and clones but I'll never be able to justify the investment.
  • There's already a slingshot mechanic - all the new shard-providing achievements and events that didn't exist years ago.

They used to "downgrade" the crystal costs for characters a long time ago. New characters cost 80c/shard, and eventually they were downgraded to 50c/shard. It'd be nice to see that happen more, and maybe have the really old characters downgraded even further, to 25c/shard.
  • Yeah and they have a track record of reworking factions to make them more relevant. Forbexample, to say that you cant justify the investment in clones now doesn't take into account potential future reworks where clones may be viable. The slingshot mechanic would relegate those teams to eternal uselessness.
  • First, what do you mean by "shift in to early entry."? Second, when I say "good team" I mean teams that are usable in tw and sith raid.
    Second, I'm not talking about arena for them. I'm talking about the length of time it takes to enjoy all aspects of the game including usefulness in tw/hsr.
    Finally, why block the rest of us out of old teams? I'd love to have and be able to experience fo, ns and clones but I'll never be able to justify the investment.

Sorry, using UK lingo - "put a shift in" means do some hard work.

You're talking end game content and so I think it's only right not everything is accessible early on. Where's the incentive otherwise?

You can experience those teams, but have to have priorities. It's not about being able to have every character at a certain level.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    You would canabilize the income from purchasing crystals....to make the game easier for those who likely are FTP anyway. Seems like a net $$$$ loss to me.

i think so too, but seeying as i'm an f2p player i do like the idea of older toons becomming easier to farm/gear!
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • For reals. Can’t seem to get off this 🐹 wheel that CG keeps ‘strongly’ nudging us to be on. So much so, that it feels pretty dire that I’ll ever get around to some of the factions/toons that I’d actually like to use for you know.. fun. Practicality unfortunately trumps all right now.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    leef wrote: »
    You would canabilize the income from purchasing crystals....to make the game easier for those who likely are FTP anyway. Seems like a net $$$$ loss to me.

i think so too, but seeying as i'm an f2p player i do like the idea of older toons becomming easier to farm/gear!

It could also see this as an issue for long time F2P. I know it's an odd thing to say, but people might get bored when they run out of things to do.
    Old toons are not useless and some may come back into the light if the meta. There is no reason they should make it easier than they have. If they are going to increase shard income it should come from events like they have been doing, this has a benefit for many players not just one particular group.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

It could also see this as an issue for long time F2P. I know it's an odd thing to say, but people might get bored when they run out of things to do.
    Old toons are not useless and some may come back into the light if the meta. There is no reason they should make it easier than they have. If they are going to increase shard income it should come from events like they have been doing, this has a benefit for many players not just one particular group.

i'm not running out of things to do any time soon, i have however ran out of "usefull" things to do which are "worth the investment". Quotation marks because it's subjective. Objectively speaking i got loads of usefull toons left which i can upgrade.
    Shards from events is fine by me, but the gear is a different matter. If older characters would require less gear, it would give incentive to gear them up instead of a newer, (most of the time) more powerfull character.
    I've yet to unlock baze who still sits at 16/50 and i'm relatively sure i'll never gear him. Not because it's a crap toon, but because other/newer toons are more worth it. Granted, even if his gear requirements were cut in half, i still probably wouldn't gear him.. but atleast then it would be a choice worth considering as opposed to now.
    Save water, drink champagne!