Droideka unique under geared advantage

Ninjah9
906 posts Member
edited February 2019
pic1k8ufl2t7.jpg
o7ttsb4zs7rg.jpg
In Droidekas unique "Deflector shield generator" it explains how Droideka stacks "Charge" which allows Droideka to multiply damage on his special. Each time an enemy takes a turn he gains a stack of charge, however as the ability levels up it is increasingly losing its potential power. When the first videos from CG were posted before Droidekas release there was a clip of a Droideka with 26 stacks of "Charge" and as you can imagine this allowed Droideka to deal massive damage (around 100k) to BB8. However as many of you may have noticed, getting that many stacks is nearly impossible! As the ability levels up it increases how much + turn meter Droideka gains per enemy turn; greatly reducing the amount of possible stacks of charge. With this ability Droideka benefits from being slower (which the ability does reduce speed when damage immunity is on him). The amount of turn meter gain per turn increases from 2% to 10%. Obviously if the ability is left at level 1 you have a much higher potential for stacking "Charge", and dealing more damage. If the ability gets to gaining 10% turn meter per turn, then your max potential stacks of charge is greatly reduced. It really doesn't make sense that this ability is gaining major tm (practically a big speed boost), while this ability is supposed to benefit from being slower??? I know the omega looks great, but being able to land a more devastating hit (since GG lacks so much off) seems more important than having Droideka assist with other droid turns. I was excited when I saw that Droideka looked like he could land majorly devastating hit by stacking "Charge" over 20 times, show in the video as high as 26 stacks. Then after getting Droideka and leveling up his abilities I noticed that because of the turn meter Droideka gains along with stacks of "Charge" reaching this many, or anything close to this many stacks is impossible. I thought at first that this was false advertising, until I realized that Droideka was facing a JTR team; and that JTR was removing his tm so the stacks of "Charge" got super high. So I believe that it is way more beneficial to leave this ability at level 1, where Droideka only gains 2% tm per enemy turn. Why it does it have this contradictory dynamic, I have absolutely no idea??? Especially since the NS Zombie situation where CG said from now on they will always make it beneficial to upgrade the character to max potential rather than under gear them. It really looks like they went against their own philosophy with this particular ability...
Post edited by Ninjah9 on

Replies

• The assist grants way more benefit out of the charges than her going slower does.

Stacks don't expire on an assist, but they do when she takes a turn. So without the assist she'll only deal damage when she goes and the stacks don't increase damage exponentially so she'll actually deal more damage if she goes every 10 turns than if she goes every 20 (because you'll get the base damage 2x and the same amount from stacks split into 2.

Sure she does more damage at once with slower tm gain, but she does less damage overall. Her real damage comes from her assist.
  • I'd need to read descriptions again, but it is different to zombie. With her there was a benefit to under GEARING as you wanted her dying more. With deka you're talking about under levelling an ability. Under gearing would mean you likely don't last long enough to use the ability. But that may just be a technicality in your phrasing.

In terms of the TM gain, I kinda see what you mean. But there always needs to be a trade off. Your under leveled ability may mean one shotting one character, but with no speed and minimal TM, how often will you get to use it vs less DPS, but more frequency.

Again, without going and reading the kit again I may be missing something obvious, but just my opinion off top of my head.
  • Ninjah9
    906 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Actually you're wrong, he does stack damage exponentially for his "Destructive Armament" special, with each stack of "Charge". If you can get enough stacks, this attack becomes a mini "Annihilate"! Blowing away gmy or jolee in one blast is much more important than randomly assisting 35% of the time...
  • I'd need to read descriptions again, but it is different to zombie. With her there was a benefit to under GEARING as you wanted her dying more. With deka you're talking about under levelling an ability. Under gearing would mean you likely don't last long enough to use the ability. But that may just be a technicality in your phrasing.

In terms of the TM gain, I kinda see what you mean. But there always needs to be a trade off. Your under leveled ability may mean one shotting one character, but with no speed and minimal TM, how often will you get to use it vs less DPS, but more frequency.

Again, without going and reading the kit again I may be missing something obvious, but just my opinion off top of my head.

Well the only time Droideka loses 50% speed is while he has damage immunity. And as of right now, because arena is a joke, players only care about beating Revan; not low fps teams. And beating Revan was all the fans were hoping the droids could do...
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Ninjah9 wrote: »
    Actually you're wrong, he does stack damage exponentially for his "Destructive Armament" special, with each stack of "Charge". If you can get enough stacks, this attack becomes a mini "Annihilate"! Blowing away gmy or jolee in one blast is much more important than randomly assisting 35% of the time...

No, I am not wrong. She doesn't stack it exponentially. Each stack doesn't make it go *1.1 *1.1 * 1.1 etc. Each stack raises the multiplier from 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3, etc.

This means if she goes twice as often due to turn meter gain, she'll have half the stacks. This means she'll do half the damage but go twice as much.... which is the same amount of damage. This is if it's a multiplier on base damage. If each stack adds bonus damage, then you'd actually deal more damage by going more often.

The only way to really get more bang for your buck out of those stacks is to get the assist, because it's the only way to get the bonus damage from the stacks and not burn them up in 1 attack.
  • Woodroward wrote: »

No, I am not wrong. She doesn't stack it exponentially. Each stack doesn't make it go *1.1 *1.1 * 1.1 etc. Each stack raises the multiplier from 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3, etc.

This means if she goes twice as often due to turn meter gain, she'll have half the stacks. This means she'll do half the damage but go twice as much.... which is the same amount of damage. This is if it's a multiplier on base damage. If each stack adds bonus damage, then you'd actually deal more damage by going more often.

The only way to really get more bang for your buck out of those stacks is to get the assist, because it's the only way to get the bonus damage from the stacks and not burn them up in 1 attack.

Sorry have to disagree with you. Since this character is built to be significantly slower than Revan teams, you want to do the most damage possible in one turn. And I'm not sure if you understand how her special works, but he lands an extra hit for each stack of "charge" similar to Ahsoka's whirlwind attack. And doing 70k damage in one turn is far more advantageous than doing the same amount over many turns. In between each of Droidekas turns they get a chance to heal, gain protection,
    gain foresight, or defeat one of your allies. So doing more damage in one turn is far more advantageous than taking multiple turns doing much less damage.

Although you may do more damage overall, if youre doing it in between turns then youre providing the other team opportunities to heal, which will negate that damage. OP has a valid point here

Although you may do more damage overall, if youre doing it in between turns then youre providing the other team opportunities to heal, which will negate that damage. OP has a valid point here

I disagree. The only valid reason to sacrifice speed for damage is if speed is irrelevant... such as when one has the assist.

I agree with you that the assisting, not to mention the protection recovery, makes it better to fully zeta the ability. But you are wrong that going twice as often with half the stacks gives the same amount of damage output. That’s because the special ability has a cooldown, and it doesn’t gain extra attacks when using its basic. So in rare situations (maybe when there are no separatist allies to assist and there is no danger of dying?) less TM gain might be better. But those would be extremely rare.

I agree with you that the assisting, not to mention the protection recovery, makes it better to fully zeta the ability. But you are wrong that going twice as often with half the stacks gives the same amount of damage output. That’s because the special ability has a cooldown, and it doesn’t gain extra attacks when using its basic. So in rare situations (maybe when there are no separatist allies to assist and there is no danger of dying?) less TM gain might be better. But those would be extremely rare.

Do you understand that Droidekas speed is only reduced while he has damage immunity? Otherwise he has normal speed, there are plenty enough tm mechanics within that faction to keep Droideka quick, when he is without damage immunity. So I have to disagree that less tm gain when stacking charge is only useful in rare situations. It's very useful against jedi, because of how many turns they take, giving you enough stacks to annihilate a jedi. Thus it is more useful in most situations.