Why are GA rewards "bad?"

Among the many constant GA complaints, I see a lot of "the rewards are bad." I don't really understand this, as they're always commonly needed gear and ability mats, so I'm a bit confused as to what the issue is. Weigh in below!
u58t4vkrvnrz.png

Why are GA rewards "bad?" 53 votes

I think GA rewards are fine.
43%
StarSonTh3NameLessBulldog1205GreenGoblin96FeefyefoefumjhbuchholzCarSickShoetheatomicpunTheJEFFtmVeserion1JammaxErebus2017Kai_MulaiYKMisfitShadowscreamJarvindcannonfodder_ivDonnieAndFrankLagandaryMucro 23 votes
I don't need/want any of the rewards.
0%
There should be additional reward slots so there is a greater variety of rewards in each event.
11%
mesa176750Maxx121312GoremVendi1983BucMan55Nyanperor 6 votes
The ability mats are fine, but the gear drops should be improved.
20%
No_TryArtooweedtoosirjacobofglaisJustPureSkillGerschDarth_DeVitoHankensteinLioDocRavagebaldwinryeCaptainAwe 11 votes
The gear is fine, but there should be more ability mats.
1%
FailingCrab 1 vote
There should be character shards in addition to the other rewards.
7%
RandomSithLordPre_VizslaCATMstrefe1DaPowerfulJedi 4 votes
Other
15%
Zombie961jedilordVertigoEddiemundieEgoSlayerArusEffAPublicEyeDPresident_Palpatine 8 votes

Replies

• There should be additional reward slots so there is a greater variety of rewards in each event.
    Been said before but think adding more incentive to play/place 2-3 would be appreciated not just lumping 2-7 in 2 buckets of awards.
  • Other
    @Maxx121312 no they can’t do that because the ranks are randomized within the same win rate, so u cant work towards it.

There should be more rewards for a fricking week long event. Anything other than 1st place is really meh for the effort.
  • I think GA rewards are fine.
    Everybody complains (in my opinion, and by ‘everybody’, I suppose I mean the vocal minority we see on the forums), because the event takes a week. They forget that the first day takes 1 second, days 2, 4, and 6 might take ten minutes each (and that is if you take the time to look in-depth at your your opponent and haven’t saved your most common defensive and offensive squad set ups).
    The battle days of 3, 5, and 7 might take a little bit longer (but not very much, it’s usually just a matter of who guessed the right hard counters to keep for offense), but those battles usually go fairly fast, because instead of grueling mirror matches, it is mostly rock/paper/scissors.

So all told, while it takes a week to get, you really aren’t playing for much more than, (if even) an hour. I think the top end rewards are fine for that. And if you aren’t earning those yet (I haven’t - usually 2 and 1, and I went 1 and 2 in the last one), that should be your incentive to refine your inventory and work towards it.
    I am quite happy with the rewards. The gear is very helpful along with the mod slicing materials. The only thing I would consider changing is the omega reward instead of zetas that has shown up in a couple GAs. I'm okay with getting omegas, but I would consider 3 omegas to be of the same value as 3 zetas. I would love to see some of each in the rewards, even if it was something like 2 zetas and 5 omegas for first place. Overall, I am happy with where they are, but unlike some of the people complaining about the rewards, I enjoy GA.
  • Other
    I voted "Other" because Batman is the greatest Avenger.
  • The gear is fine, but there should be more ability mats.
    I meant to vote the other way round - more gear, ability mats are generally fine (though I'm not a fan of the '3 omegas' 1st prize for 3v3)
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • @Maxx121312 no they can’t do that because the ranks are randomized within the same win rate, so u cant work towards it.

There should be more rewards for a fricking week long event. Anything other than 1st place is really meh for the effort.

Isn't the rank of those with same number of wins based on points?
  • Delvorin wrote: »
    @Maxx121312 no they can’t do that because the ranks are randomized within the same win rate, so u cant work towards it.

Isn't the rank of those with same number of wins based on points?
    Arbitrarily based on GP as likely as not. It's just wins and losses they are counting.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    There should be additional reward slots so there is a greater variety of rewards in each event.
    Its a week long event that they keep calling their "masterpiece" or "the best place to test your roster" They go overboard with buffs to random toons, why not go overboard with rewards for a change?

Imagine the incentive to participate and take this seriously if there was 10 zetas on the line.

1-2-3 is like, nothing. lol. Why does it go 1 then 2 then 3.

Plus more rewards would be more inviting as well, and better gear rewards, seems like the GA that gave us stun guns will never be topped. Why not carbs and stun guns, that'd get people participating!
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Gorem wrote: »
    Its a week long event that they keep calling their "masterpiece" or "the best place to test your roster" They go overboard with buffs to random toons, why not go overboard with rewards for a change?

Imagine the incentive to participate and take this seriously if there was 10 zetas on the line.

1-2-3 is like, nothing. lol. Why does it go 1 then 2 then 3.

Plus more rewards would be more inviting as well, and better gear rewards, seems like the GA that gave us stun guns will never be topped. Why not carbs and stun guns, that'd get people participating!

I don't think I've ever seen it referred to as a "masterpiece." And the "random buffs" are in Territory War, not GA. At least thus far, there haven't been any GA-specific buffs. And I'd say it currently is the best place to test your whole roster - where else are you using anything but your one best team? I'll concede that matchmaking is a bit flawed, but they've already stated they plan to stop counting ship GP when there are no ship territories, so they're obviously aware of the issue.

The reason they don't give you 10 zetas is because zetas are meant to be a meaningful choice that determines how your roster develops. If they just handed out giant piles of them, they'd lose their importance. 3 for 1st place is a pretty good number imo - it's the same amount you get for a high level Territory War win.

And similarly, the reason you don't get a big pile of carbantis and stun guns every time is that those pieces are meant to be bottlenecks. Again, if you could just build up whoever you wanted whenever you wanted, there wouldn't be nearly as much weight behind the decision of who to gear up.

If you're setting the bar for a "good" event at "it needs to reward massive piles of every resource I want," there's never going to be a "good" event for you.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• There should be character shards in addition to the other rewards.
    I’m surprised nobody else has voted that they want an exclusive GA character added to the rewards.
  • Other
    The rewards tables need to be higher for the ability mats & gear, and should be graduated based on the GP tier of the group, the Items like Zetas or Omegas are about right. But with the time investment for this mode they should pay out for a much higher rate for the other items.

But knowing how CG usually works, this is unfortunately going to go down with the increase in GA frequency, so more effort to get the same rewards that we get now. So now it'll take 3 events to get the rewards that we now get from two.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    EgoSlayer wrote: »
    The rewards tables need to be higher for the ability mats & gear, and should be graduated based on the GP tier of the group, the Items like Zetas or Omegas are about right. But with the time investment for this mode they should pay out for a much higher rate for the other items.

But knowing how CG usually works, this is unfortunately going to go down with the increase in GA frequency, so more effort to get the same rewards that we get now. So now it'll take 3 events to get the rewards that we now get from two.

My hope is that the rewards per event will go down, but will go up per month. So you'll get less for each individual win, but more over a full month if you win 3 times. Guess we'll see.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Jarvind wrote: »

My hope is that the rewards per event will go down, but will go up per month. So you'll get less for each individual win, but more over a full month if you win 3 times. Guess we'll see.
    So less reward per hour spent. Doesn't sound so promising when you look at it that way.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

So less reward per hour spent. Doesn't sound so promising when you look at it that way.

I guess? I mean realistically how long do you spend playing the GA event? 15 minutes total per round, maybe?
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

Keeping the rewards modest discourages cheating. In arena, if someone is smashing their way to the top with a bogus under-geared team, it is easy to spot and easy to report. If you make the GA rewards too lucrative people are more tempted to risk it. It would be VERY difficult to determine if someone cheated since you don't see the squads they used, like arena.
  • There should be additional reward slots so there is a greater variety of rewards in each event.
    The biggest problem is that I have to dedicate several hours to GA and I get up to 50 of one salvage (but that isn't guaranteed) I dedicate similar amounts of times in other game modes (TB, TW, Raids) and I get more drops. That being said, I'm not crying my face off about not having all the rewards I want. It'd be nice if it also had a random loot box that could drop 25 of any high need salvage, no matter what place you are in.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    mesa176750 wrote: »
    The biggest problem is that I have to dedicate several hours to GA

I'm having a hard time buying this.

Setting defenses takes like, 5 minutes tops.

Attack phase takes maybe 20 minutes total, if you're going for a full clear? I have a hard time believing that every match is a buzzer beater. Most are probably over inside 2 minutes.

There are three rounds, so that's a little over an hour spent over the course of a week. How are you sinking "several hours" into it? I honestly can't even think how.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

I guess? I mean realistically how long do you spend playing the GA event? 15 minutes total per round, maybe?
    A lot more than that. I am at around a 100k-300k GP disadvantage in squads so I have to study my opponent's roster closely before setting defense and study my opponent's defense closely before committing to attacks.
  • Other

Attack phase takes maybe 20 minutes total, if you're going for a full clear? I have a hard time believing that every match is a buzzer beater. Most are probably over inside 2 minutes.

There are three rounds, so that's a little over an hour spent over the course of a week. How are you sinking "several hours" into it? I honestly can't even think how.

You can quite easily spend an hour scouting each opponent's roster and mods on SWGOH and formulate counter/defense teams for your zones on that opponent. That's fine if it only takes you five minutes and you're just doing generic defenses every time, but if that's all the time you're spending you're not taking it very seriously.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member

You can quite easily spend an hour scouting each opponent's roster and mods on SWGOH and formulate counter/defense teams for your zones on that opponent. That's fine if it only takes you five minutes and you're just doing generic defenses every time, but if that's all the time you're spending you're not taking it very seriously.

I've only lost two rounds since the event was introduced. One was by a single win - he had Traya and I didn't, and I couldn't get through her. In the other I lost by like 4-5 medals because the other guy just managed to squeak out a few more full health/prot bonuses.

Scouting your opponent helps, sure, but you have no way of knowing what they're going to put on defense and what they're going to leave themselves to attack with. Personally I've found that setting "generic" defenses works fine as most people tend to go way too heavy on defense and leave themselves too little to attack with.

Maybe the dynamic changes at higher GP? I'm at 2.8 million, roughly. But it honestly sounds to me like you're just spending far more time over-analyzing than necessary.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

I've only lost two rounds since the event was introduced. One was by a single win - he had Traya and I didn't, and I couldn't get through her. In the other I lost by like 4-5 medals because the other guy just managed to squeak out a few more full health/prot bonuses.

Scouting your opponent helps, sure, but you have no way of knowing what they're going to put on defense and what they're going to leave themselves to attack with. Personally I've found that setting "generic" defenses works fine as most people tend to go way too heavy on defense and leave themselves too little to attack with.

Maybe the dynamic changes at higher GP? I'm at 2.8 million, roughly. But it honestly sounds to me like you're just spending far more time over-analyzing than necessary.
    Actually I believe you will find that the dynamic changes more at lower GP because differences in power are magnified when you have limited resources to begin with.

First round of the current GA my 900k squad GP was pitted against 1,120k. Only superior modding and good strategy enabled me to pull off a win. I literally had to study each of my opponent's squads and map out the opening moves of each offensive battle to be sure I could win.

Second round my opponent had about 1,000k but studying his roster revealed that there was no viable path to victory. Too top-heavy and well modded. With another 100k GP I would have had a fair shot but the matchmaker is still going by total GP. Gave it my best shot anyway and put in more time studying his defenses than was warranted in the circumstances but as expected, I was unable to break his defenses as much as he was able to break mine.
  • Vertigo
    4496 posts Member
    Other
    I said other, because while I am totally content with the rewards, I think that the rewards should be slightly increased with each GP bracket. The larger the GP, the lesser the gear rewards appear. 1 full carbanti for a 1.5mil GP vs 1 full carbanti for someone at 4mil GP is very different.

Also anyone who joins GA and then doesn't set defenses for all 3 rounds (1 round, ok you forgot, move on, set your defenses, 2 rounds is like really??, and then 3 rounds means you literally didn't play the game mode) should not get any of the final rewards.
  • EgoSlayer
    140 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Other

OK fine - lets assume it takes 5 minutes to set defenses. At higher GP levels in 3v3 that's setting 11 teams. That also means you need to attack 11 teams as well for a full clear. And if we also use your example of 2-3 minutes per battle that's 22-33 minutes of combat w/o any thought of what team to use and zero failures/retries. So lets split the difference on that and say combined that's 30 minutes total per opponent of setting defense (5) and combat (25). Times 3 is 1.5 hours of game time for the event. I spend MUCH less time than that auto'ing the daily challenges and GW over a full week. And overall that pays out 2x+ the rewards of a GA. The rewards to time investment is completely out of line. That's why they are bad.

And frankly, I think 1.5 hours is a pretty low estimate of the time required for most people in the 3M+ GA brackets.