Are ships worth it?

Hey everyone,
I’m not a new player, but I feel like this is a new player question. Are ships worth working on? I hear you can get good crystals in the top 20. I’ve never really worked hard on my ships. I can get zetas from the ship challenge, and besides doing one fleet battle a day to get my daily activities done, I’ve not done much with them.
So are they worth it?
Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/

Replies

• Yes.
  • Tbirds01 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    I’m not a new player, but I feel like this is a new player question. Are ships worth working on? I hear you can get good crystals in the top 20. I’ve never really worked hard on my ships. I can get zetas from the ship challenge, and besides doing one fleet battle a day to get my daily activities done, I’ve not done much with them.
    So are they worth it?

Absolutely. Fleet arena is where you obtain Fleet currency. This is actually the fastest way that you can obtain zetas (although I recommend you farm the ships and characters out of the store first).

Let's assume that all fleet currency goes towards zeta purchases. 2000 currency = 1 zeta material, so 40,000 currency = one full zeta.

You get a fleet arena payout 365 days a year.

A player who gets first place 365 days a year will earn 16 full zetas over the course of a year:
    (1800 x 365 = 657,000. 657,000 / 40,000 = 16.425)

A player who places between 6-10th place every day will earn 12 full zetas over the course of a year.
    (1400 x 365 = 511k 511k / 40k = 12.775)

A player who places below rank 500 will earn 7 full zetas over the course of a year.
    (800 x 365 = 292k 292k / 40k = 7.3)

Please note, these calculations are purely based on the fleet arena payouts. Players will still be able to accumulate zeta materials from challenges, Wicket/Talzin bonus events, achievements, TWs, etc. However, there's a potential 10 full zeta per year difference between someone at the top of their fleet shard versus someone at the bottom.
  • Eh, do whatever is fun. I stopped once I got in the top 500 because ships weren't fun for me. I play the game to have fun. Some people enjoy doing the ships and that's fine too.
  • Tbirds01
    1235 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    jkray622 wrote: »
    Tbirds01 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    So are they worth it?

Absolutely. Fleet arena is where you obtain Fleet currency. This is actually the fastest way that you can obtain zetas (although I recommend you farm the ships and characters out of the store first).

Let's assume that all fleet currency goes towards zeta purchases. 2000 currency = 1 zeta material, so 40,000 currency = one full zeta.

You get a fleet arena payout 365 days a year.

A player who gets first place 365 days a year will earn 16 full zetas over the course of a year:
    (1800 x 365 = 657,000. 657,000 / 40,000 = 16.425)

A player who places between 6-10th place every day will earn 12 full zetas over the course of a year.
    (1400 x 365 = 511k 511k / 40k = 12.775)

A player who places below rank 500 will earn 7 full zetas over the course of a year.
    (800 x 365 = 292k 292k / 40k = 7.3)

Please note, these calculations are purely based on the fleet arena payouts. Players will still be able to accumulate zeta materials from challenges, Wicket/Talzin bonus events, achievements, TWs, etc. However, there's a potential 10 full zeta per year difference between someone at the top of their fleet shard versus someone at the bottom.

Wow, thanks for the good explanatory explanation. 😊 They definitely seem worth it then.
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • Yes. As a FTP the arenas should be priority as the crystal income fuels development for toons in all other areas of the game.

Fleet arena is difficult because there is a relatively small selection of ships and no way to mod stats. This leads to there being 1 or 2 "best teams" and it is difficult to get creative and find unique ways to beat them.

That said, Fleet arena is generally less active than squad arena. So if you can invest the gear into 4-5 ships plus a capital ship, it is not too difficult to maintain top 20/10 payouts daily (if you have HMF). The ship meta also hasn't shifted nearly as often as the squad meta, so you usually get more return on your investment.

• Yes. As a FTP the arenas should be priority as the crystal income fuels development for toons in all other areas of the game.

Fleet arena is difficult because there is a relatively small selection of ships and no way to mod stats. This leads to there being 1 or 2 "best teams" and it is difficult to get creative and find unique ways to beat them.

That said, Fleet arena is generally less active than squad arena. So if you can invest the gear into 4-5 ships plus a capital ship, it is not too difficult to maintain top 20/10 payouts daily (if you have HMF). The ship meta also hasn't shifted nearly as often as the squad meta, so you usually get more return on your investment.

Cool, thanks man. I’ll start working on them then.
  • crzydroid
    7255 posts Moderator
    Definitely much less of a headache to maintain top spots in ship arena than squad.
  • The ship meta also hasn't shifted nearly as often as the squad meta

This used to be true. But lately the ship meta seems to be moving faster than squad. In the time we've had Traya and Revan we've gone from ship 1.0 meta to geos to bhs to Mace timeout to HMF.
  • Top 50 is pretty easy to maintain = 1300 currency/day
    vs.
    Top 10 giving only 100 more...

So if you don’t like ships —> do enough to reach the top 50.
    I say this rather than Top 100 (1250 Currency/day) because you will also pick up 50 crystals/day. Which adds up to 18,250 free crystals/year.

• PepsiAddict
    311 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Although Fleet Arena is nowhere near as fun, I realized early if I continue to invest everything into ship arena, ship arena payout fuels everything else. It becomes a very symbiotic relationship.
    It’s not unlike owning rental properties. If you make wise decisions and put in the time and effort (including many other factors that are outside of your control), the rental properties end up paying for themselves AND your home mortgage [ie Arena meta]. 😉
    Keep in mind it’s a long term investment. I did not truly realize how further ahead I am than others until GA matchups started.
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    It worth noting that the easier your shard the less you need to invest and the more fleet is worth it.

I started 13 months ago. I managed to skate through with tl fleet until hmf. Geos and hounds tooth were very beatable and I didn't see anyone with the mace timeout fleet.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    Fleet arena is a million times easier than squad arena, for the sole reason that ships don't have mods. In squad you're always going to be overshadowed by that one lucky dingdong who somehow ended up with a set of 30 perfect mods that make his squad just utterly untouchable.

In fleet the playing field is pretty much level - you improve your ships by improving the pilots, but once they're fully G12'd and 6e modded, that's it, they don't get any better. So you don't have that one guy that just completely dominates despite running the same team as you.

Also, most people seem to really, really hate ships for some reason (I don't get it, I love them) so the competition tends to not be as fierce for top spots.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Ships in my shard are much more gentlemanly, way less active that squad arena, easier to hit #1, and say what you want about HMF it's a whole lot more fun playing those matches that wading through the seas of Revan. It does seem to me like ships is a bit more about strategy, and arena is more about whether or not you have a couple hours of free time to paddle up to the top after falling 100+ ranks overnight...
  • *Laughs in crystals*

Yes
  • yes
  • The ship meta is currently easily beatable with

Any capital ship fully upgraded + g12 Fleet Commander (Thrawn is the obvious choice for low-investment play)

HT (Bossk)
    Silencer (KRU)
    Ghost (Phoenix)
    Phantom II (Phoenix)
    Cassian's U-Wing (Rogue 1)
    + 1 more good attacker. Han's Falcon works. So does Vader's TIE. I put both in reinforcements but never get to use both in one battle.

If you look at the crew needed, they're already either highly desirable (Vader, Han, Chewie, KRU, Bossk) or very useful in TB and TW/GA (Phoenix & R1).

Yes, Phoenix is far from meta, but they're not useless & I only geared my to g11, not g12, and my fleet takes #1 every single day with no trouble. I never even fall farther than 9th and most days I don't even fall as far as 5th, so I only need to fight the #1 spot once and I'm done for the day.

I don't think that ships are very fun, and I think ships swaying in place waiting for their turns look completely ridiculous and not like space ships at all. BUT, I get 400 crystals per day, every day.

What could you do with 2800 crystals per week? How about 32 shards from shipments.

What could you do with 12,000 crystals per month? How about 152 shards from shipments.

What could you do with 146,000 crystals per year? How about everything in the galaxy?

That's what we're talking about. I refresh Cantina energy 3x per day (300 crystals total) and regular energy 3 x per day (150), and I still increase by over 100 crystals per day on average, slowly stocking up until some panic farming is needed ... but mostly I don't need to panic farm anyway because my crystal production keeps me farming at a high rate all the time.

The meta will change, and someday I'll need new ships (though my squad hasn't really changed since the HT revolution while the meta has changed a couple times around me), but by that time I'll be done farming IG-2000 and Xanadu Blood (both about 50/100 right now) freeing me up to farm new things, and whatever I need to invest in will cost me a lot less than I've gained from finishing first every day for so long.

Are ships worth it? Well, they've made my toons dramatically better than they would have been. They made my ewok farm for 3PO downright easy while others who had invested nothing in ewoks before the first 3PO event are still sweating blood to have their teams ready. Yes, it required investing in toons and ships, but Phoenix and R1 are solid second-tier investments anyway, and the others are top-tier and there's no way I wouldn't have invested in them even if ships didn't exist. The only real distractions from putting resources into toons have been Xanadu Blood & IG-2000, each sucking up over 100 regular energy per day for a couple months now. But I'm not worried about it. You don't get anything for free, but if the biggest penalty is having to do 2 or 3 long-farms on hard nodes, that's nothing compared to the 400 crystals/day.

Yeah. Ships are worth it.
  • Tbirds01
    1235 posts Member
    Thanks for the help everyone !
  • No. Even when you do work on them for years cg will take 2 ships from your fleet