6 starring mods - is it worth the hassal?

Title says it all. I find myself modifying mods on all my gear 12 toons to 6 dots more than I do farming mods due to my poor drop rates from challenges. My biggest issue however is that with all the mod sets swapping for events and the like I'm not sure if I should stick with upgrading mods.

Replies

• I upgrade mods to 6-dot if:

- it's an arena mod
    - it's a pilot mod and it's crucial that I squeeze every last point of speed into that ship
    - it's a great mod for that particular character that I don't see myself replacing it anytime soon (eg my bossk set. Tenacity mods have quite a niche use and now that I have a decent set I don't see myself putting thousands of energy into mayyybe finding more)
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • I've been slicing mods to 6pip more than farming mods because I want to fully max out my fleet arena pilots eventually.
  • For arena team definitely.
    Pilots used elsewhere in game too.
    Just pilots not in my view.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Arena team mods yes.

However for new players do not six dot mods right away. Since you need G12 for them Six dotting them too early removes the option of putting arena level mods on weaker toons to get past certain legendary levels, like seven starring Thrawn.

Its a tricky process that really rely's on you having static mods or many G12.
  • I agree with Gorem. Theyre great, but you can get super frustrated if all your best speed mods are 6dot and youre new, shiny character that should go first is either just 5-6 star or requires such gear that takes weeks-months to get to g12.
  • 6* dots mods are amazing. im currently at 75 mods of 6*. its not just for arena, for all game modes. lets say this. having a toon with all mods at 6* make him like he have 7 mods of 5*. this is a great investment, mods stick with you.
    the jumps on offense, HP, defense, Crit damage, potency, tenacity, and crit avoidance are pretty huge. protection primaries arent worth to upgrade imo, but the rest are making the characters much more strong.
    example is my Kylo Ren. already 2 people told me my kylo was an absolute beast and made their life much harder in GA. (and my last FO team had 7 defenses in TW, although the enemy was super efficient and killed our whole FO territory with 1-2 tries)
    what i have is 4 mods of 6* level on Kylo - defense primary, offense primary, CD primary and HP primary. its not even optimal mod set btw, its just powerful mods that can bring toon to new level and make them a nightmare. this is 100% worth outside arena and pilots too. darth traya as a revan counter also needs CA 6* imo and defense primary 6*. wampa need offense 6* mods to solo haat reliably...
    a lot of toons, standalone ones / huge stats toons especially, benefit greatly from 6*: Nest, Wampa, CLS, Zaalbar+Mission, Sion, Yolo, Kylo..

its worth it. start getting as much as 6* mods and put on your g12 toons i mentioned above.
    TW/GA Counters Bot - https://discord.gg/jZH44Hb | Discord: SidiousIsPikachu#5768
  • If u want to be competitive in the top of the arena or GA then yes, you need 6* mods. If you are happy being below the top 100 in the arena then no you don't
  • I agree with Gorem. Theyre great, but you can get super frustrated if all your best speed mods are 6dot and youre new, shiny character that should go first is either just 5-6 star or requires such gear that takes weeks-months to get to g12.

I third this point. I just picked up a speed square with +21 speed secondary. I put it on Hoda until I could 6 dot it and move it to Revan, but then when I did that I realised I can't move the one on Revan to Hoda because he's not G12. I've ended up losing 5 speed on Hoda to gain 2 speed on Revan, which overall probably makes my team worse (Hoda was fast enough to go before some Revans on my shard, now that happens less.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • They’re a 2-edged sword. If you want to get 7* legendaries with undergeared toons, then maybe don’t 6* all your best mods.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Yes, they're worth it, you just need to be smart about which mods you do it for.

Do it for mods you don't plan on moving around, since they are only equippable by G12 characters. Speed arrows are a no-brainer since they're universally useful and you probably aren't moving them around too much. And of course the +2 speed is nice.

As pointed out, they also provide a small boost to pilots, so doing it for your top crew is worth it too - again, be careful if you use them in multiple teams on the ground and want to switch their mods around. I just 6e'd a few mods for Ackbar even though the mods themselves were so-so, to give him a couple extra points of speed and get my AOE/double assist off first in ship arena.

u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• They’re a 2-edged sword. If you want to get 7* legendaries with undergeared toons, then maybe don’t 6* all your best mods.

Just curious, is there a reason to use undergeared toons?
  • With 6 dot mods, my approach is usually to bring up first the mods not only with the best speed secondaries, but with the primaries that benefit the most. For example, my first mods to 6 dot were health sets with health primaries. I just happened to have a +19 speed health set health percentage arrow before mods 2.0 came out. Never used it for anything but had on a backup toon somewhere. Then with mods 2.0, the biggest stat boost for a mod was health primaries which moved from 5.88% to 16%. Whereas this is a great boost for a tank, there are actually three attackers now that benefit greatly from this: Grievous, Nest, and Executioner. However, this is just how I started doing it and not what I currently recommend. Hindsight is always so illuminating.

With that said, I now believe there should be a hierarchy of reasons based upon one's individual roster development that dictate which mods should be brought up first. Like others have suggested, arena characters that are g12 should be considered primarily IMHO. This should be factored against how many g12 characters one also has and which mods will get the most benefit for the primaries and will be the most useful overall. Like how I approached it with health primaries with speed secondaries, these mods are a niche set that only truly supercharge a small amount of characters. It might be helpful at the start to just bump up speed arrows first, where applicable, and health primary circle mods with high speed secondaries. Also, a CD triangle with high speed secondary would be a good case. Again, it all depends upon one's roster makeup. If only one or two g12 characters, I would hold off until I had a full squad of g12 before I would start bringing mods to 6 dot.
  • Jack1210 wrote: »
    They’re a 2-edged sword. If you want to get 7* legendaries with undergeared toons, then maybe don’t 6* all your best mods.

Just curious, is there a reason to use undergeared toons?

If you don't ever want to invest in the faction again other than for the event. Like, say, Ewoks. If it takes me 2000 tries and lady luck kissing the dice, I simply won't gear them past g10.