The 4 things SWGOH needs to change to reduce depression

Here are the 4 things that, in my opinion, this game NEEDS to change and that make me feel morbidly depressed about this truely great game.

1. Fix gear challenges. Most of the gear in gear challenges is so rarely used that it just stacks up to thousands of pieces. It's a waste of time for something that should be a good way to earn useful resources. Ways to fix this include, diversifying the gear drops to different types of gear and allowing players to select what gear they want to focus on and receive as a reward (this can even be less numbers of gear pieces if u are worried about giving out too much rare gear). Failing that, introduce a market for gear where players can buy and sell gear for credits, including a minimum price for gear so that people with thousands of pieces can sell it at some nominal value.

2. Drops on rewards in challenges should be standard and not random. Related to the first point is that there is no reason for RNG in certain drops at all. I'm talking of course about the Fleet ability mats challenge where it should just be 1 zeta per challenge consistently. Many other drops could be standardised too. A lot of the RNG in this game is completely unnecessary and only adds frustration and depression.

3. Remove evasion as a stat. Another piece of unecessary RNG. There is nothing more frustrating then coming up with a carefully thought out strategy and then a few luck dodges ruin everything. This takes the tactics (and the fun) out of the game for a stat that is ultimately unnecessary. Some characters and ships would need to be reworked for balance but well worth it.

4. Increase or remove the time length on arena battles and fights in general. The 5 min arbitrary timeframe has never made much sense and is particularly frustrating nowdays where squads are so much more powerful and apt at defending then theu used to be. Sometimes it takes a while to wear down a good squad but when you do it and are about to win, only to be defeated by the time, it is beyond depressing. In fact time shouldn't be a factor at all, why you can't fight in the arena while you are being fought also doesn't make much sense. Surely there is a coding solution to that, and if not just make it off the rank that they have at the time, or failing that ditch the whole constantly updating ranks thing and just do a points system that tallies at the end of the day. The current system favours people who can log on at a certain time and encourages collusive gaming of the system. At the very least make the time 10mins instead of 5mins.

These are just my thoughts but I know you value QOL and player wellbeing, second only to profits, and I honestly don't think any of these changes would hurt the bottom line. If anything they may increase it by reducing the number of players who quit in frustration.

Please consider my suggestions.

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    If the game makes you “morbidly depressed,” I don’t know what to say because that’s a little extreme. But frustrated is normal. The psychology of these types of games revolves around frustration and rng/gambling aspects to drive spending. So those aren’t going to go away.

Evasion is annoying, but there are kits that revolve around it and no reason it needs to be removed from the game just because some people don’t like it.

Arena, you say there’s no reason for the time limit and then you acknowledge the reason — when you’re fighting somebody those spots are locked to anybody else and the person you’re fighting can’t move at all. Making that lock 10 minutes would make things significantly worse. The whole system falls apart if you don’t do this and swap ranks with your opponent since that’s the entire basis of the arena leaderboard. Your proposed points system would be a completely different game and sounds a lot like tournaments. Not sure if you played when those were a thing but they were AWFUL.
  • You know Liath, if you don't have anything constructive to say it's generally better to say nothing at all ...

Frustration shouldn't be normal, and it doesn't have to be normal to make a game like this work.

My point about evasion isn't just that I don't like it but that it defeats one of the main elements of this game which is tactically working out how to counter and defeat your opponent and when this is clutch it shouldn't be up to evasion as to who should win. I acknowledge that this woulf mean some toons would have to be reworked but it is worth it to improve the tactical balance of the game.

As I pointed out the arena system is rigged in favour of those who can log in at certain times and can be gamed by those at the top to stay there by colluding. This is unfair. Like I said there should be a coding solution but if not then there needs to be a rework. Again this is about tactics. Tactics should win out and time victories stop this - particularly now toons are much stronger on defence.

Maybe, if you choose to reply, you could suggest some constructive alternatives instead of just tearing down others ideas
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    How is my post not constructive? Just because I disagree with you? My point about frustration is that this is how the game is designed. If it really bothers you then freemium mobile games may not be right for you. Regular console games aren’t based on frustration or rng because there’s no additional money to be made from them. Understanding why things are the way they are is constructive.

Evasion is a factor in working out how to tactically counter your opponents. Nothing about it is contrary to the fundamental principles of the game.

The issue with arena requiring you to log on at a particular time that isn’t convenient for you is moot now since you can change your payout time to whenever you like. Shard chats being improper is a hot button issue I’m not about to get into except to say that your opinion is by no means universal.

I have no obligation to offer solutions to non-existent problems.
  • You know Liath, if you don't have anything constructive to say it's generally better to say nothing at all ...

Frustration shouldn't be normal, and it doesn't have to be normal to make a game like this work.

My point about evasion isn't just that I don't like it but that it defeats one of the main elements of this game which is tactically working out how to counter and defeat your opponent and when this is clutch it shouldn't be up to evasion as to who should win. I acknowledge that this woulf mean some toons would have to be reworked but it is worth it to improve the tactical balance of the game.

As I pointed out the arena system is rigged in favour of those who can log in at certain times and can be gamed by those at the top to stay there by colluding. This is unfair. Like I said there should be a coding solution but if not then there needs to be a rework. Again this is about tactics. Tactics should win out and time victories stop this - particularly now toons are much stronger on defence.

Maybe, if you choose to reply, you could suggest some constructive alternatives instead of just tearing down others ideas

You offered your opinion and Liath provided a different perspective. No reason for either of you to get offended.

That said evasion is a major part of tactics. No attack plan has ever been executed exactly as it was drawn up, so you need to have a plan B and a plan C ready when plan A fails.

Collusion will exist no matter what system they put in place. It's human nature to take a set of rules and find the easiest way to exploit them. I have been on these forums for years and have yet to see a suggestion that would work any better than the current system without changing it to an entirely different game.

Time-outs are also a key part of tactics. The win condition for offense is to kill all members of the other team within the time limit. This is fair considering the player can make much better decisions than the AI, so if you can't beat them in 5 minutes then you don't deserve to win.

Finally, I have never played a great game that didn't frustrate me at least once. Frustration is a natural reaction when you are invested and make a mistake or things take an unexpected turn. Frustration is a sign of a good game.

I have no problem with people offering suggestions to improve the game, but in my opinion your suggestions are closer to creating a totally different game.

As Liath said, frustration is a key component of freemium games. It is a mechanism that drives spending. Freemium games are designed to drive spending. It is normal in this genre of games.

As for evasion, it doesn't defeat one of the main elements of the game. The game has a variety of tactical options to deal with evasion, such as attacks that can't be evaded and R2's burning, and introduces an element of strategy (such as dealing with ITF in fleet) that wouldn't exist if you removed evasion from the game. Dealing with evasion is part of the tactical balance of the game.

Logging in at a certain time is an issue that was (to some degree at least) resolved by the QOL change that allows you to change your payout to a time that works better for you. As far as time out, issues, extending the length of arena fights or removing the timer only allows for significantly longer lockouts for fights, with more arena frustration building not less. If you can't beat an arena team within 5 minutes, you need to work on your mods, your team, or your tactics.

I think Liath's suggestion that you would might prefer console games to freemium games was constructive.....

• Liath your post is not constructive because it doesn't offer solutions. If you don't think there problems then don't post and do something else instead of wasting my time having to reply to you and tell u this.

That goes for everyone else too who isn't offering solutions or thinks there isn't a problem. Frustration doesn't have to be a part of freemium games. Nor do the othet elements i discuss.

This is a place to give feedback to the Devs not to give trolls space to talk crap and not offer constructive solutions.

• Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Liath your post is not constructive because it doesn't offer solutions. If you don't think there problems then don't post and do something else instead of wasting my time having to reply to you and tell u this.

That goes for everyone else too who isn't offering solutions or thinks there isn't a problem. Frustration doesn't have to be a part of freemium games. Nor do the othet elements i discuss.

This is a place to give feedback to the Devs not to give trolls space to talk crap and not offer constructive solutions.

So basically anyone who has a different opinion than you is a troll and talking crap? I think I know who's the troll here.
  • I'm interested in opinions just not one's that aren't offering solutions. If you don't think there is a problem to be solved, fine but don't waste my time posting here
  • 1-2 I mostly agree with, though 1 zeta per Fleet challenge is excessive.

The battle time limit is an unfortunate necessity, that mainly comes from the design of arena as a gameplay mode rather than an expectation of 5min being an appropriate battle length.

Let's extend the limit to 10min. That means doubling the cooldown between battles as well (currently 10 minutes), or you could just do consecutive battles. Which means that rather than doing your 5 battle taking 45min or so, it'll take 85min. That means battling over multiple payout hours, and also frankly an excessive amount of time for practical reasons. Heaven forbid you need to do a crystal refresh.

Instead, teams should be balanced to be beatable inside the 5min. That is actually very possible for Revan given the correct modding, though I accept some people are finding that hard.
  • jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    I'm interested in opinions just not one's that aren't offering solutions. If you don't think there is a problem to be solved, fine but don't waste my time posting here

Why not? You're proposing changes. If someone doesn't think there is a problem and doesn't think it should change shouldn't they weigh in? What if your proposed change makes their game experience worse? Would you not chime in on their thread when they demanded your changes be undone?
  • I don't really like any of your proposed changes. Some minor changes to the challenge gear might be warrented but I'd much rather the Devs focussed on better communication than removing RNG based elements from the game.
  • Liath your post is not constructive because it doesn't offer solutions. If you don't think there problems then don't post and do something else instead of wasting my time having to reply to you and tell u this.

Yet you sound like a troll, lmao. A forum is not just a place to give advice to devs lol. Come off your high pedestal, this is the internet, if you don't like it, same goes to you. Keep it fair :)
  • Tryxa
    179 posts Member
    The obvious solution is for me (and only me) to be transferred to a one-person shard. :p
  • 1. Fix gear challenges. Most of the gear in gear challenges is so rarely used that it just stacks up to thousands of pieces. It's a waste of time for something that should be a good way to earn useful resources. Ways to fix this include, diversifying the gear drops to different types of gear and allowing players to select what gear they want to focus on and receive as a reward (this can even be less numbers of gear pieces if u are worried about giving out too much rare gear). Failing that, introduce a market for gear where players can buy and sell gear for credits, including a minimum price for gear so that people with thousands of pieces can sell it at some nominal value.

Overall a good suggestion, but I don't think it is a waste of time because there is some gear there that is needed. Definitely agree that there needs to be a way to "cash in" on the excess tho...
    2. Drops on rewards in challenges should be standard and not random. Related to the first point is that there is no reason for RNG in certain drops at all. I'm talking of course about the Fleet ability mats challenge where it should just be 1 zeta per challenge consistently. Many other drops could be standardised too. A lot of the RNG in this game is completely unnecessary and only adds frustration and depression.

This one is pretty good, tho I'm not sure standard zetas will be good for their bottom line, there's no scarcity so there's no urgency to purchase.
    3. Remove evasion as a stat. Another piece of unecessary RNG. There is nothing more frustrating then coming up with a carefully thought out strategy and then a few luck dodges ruin everything. This takes the tactics (and the fun) out of the game for a stat that is ultimately unnecessary. Some characters and ships would need to be reworked for balance but well worth it.

Evasion is a core mechanic of every rpg type game I've ever played, if you are having a issue here just add an accuracy arrow to your character so they hit more often.
    4. Increase or remove the time length on arena battles and fights in general. The 5 min arbitrary timeframe has never made much sense and is particularly frustrating nowdays where squads are so much more powerful and apt at defending then theu used to be. Sometimes it takes a while to wear down a good squad but when you do it and are about to win, only to be defeated by the time, it is beyond depressing. In fact time shouldn't be a factor at all, why you can't fight in the arena while you are being fought also doesn't make much sense. Surely there is a coding solution to that, and if not just make it off the rank that they have at the time, or failing that ditch the whole constantly updating ranks thing and just do a points system that tallies at the end of the day. The current system favours people who can log on at a certain time and encourages collusive gaming of the system. At the very least make the time 10mins instead of 5mins.

I can't say it better than everyone else here. I'll only add that part of QOL updates is to REDUCE the amount of time spent playing the game, no increase it.
    These are just my thoughts but I know you value QOL and player wellbeing, second only to profits, and I honestly don't think any of these changes would hurt the bottom line. If anything they may increase it by reducing the number of players who quit in frustration.

Please consider my suggestions.

Here's hoping they consider at least adding some use of excess gear 😁
  • Darthvestor_80
    484 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    You know Liath, if you don't have anything constructive to say it's generally better to say nothing at all ...

Stop crying because your opinion isn't everyone else's. Really why did you comment? Your comment wasn't nice to his comment. Does that make you a hypocrite, ****, or both?
  • Great overall game. Glad others are frustrated with the 5 minute arenas as well. If I put a squad on auto (4x) and I can't win in 5 mins, then I call ****... There are characters that require a little work to defeat, give us a chance at least... From my experience, 5 mins is usually unsatisfying also... Please consider adding a minute or two... Enough said...