An open letter from a whale regarding TW and GA

Prev1
Ikky2win
870 posts Member
edited March 2019
I'm not sure if the devs will read this, much less take action; however, I felt it necessary to pen some thoughts down. The reason I mention I'm a whale is because I have a different game experience from someone who is f2p, so I think it's important to note that my viewpoint is not going to be the same for everyone.

GA
There are two main issues I have with GA. First, the amount of time between matches. For me, it's a few minutes of fun every 48 hours. I love the GA format but the time between matches needs to somehow be shortened. Set my teams, wait 24 hours. Attack, wait 24 hours. Set my teams, wait 24 hours, rinse and repeat. For me, it takes no more than 20-30 minutes to clear my opponents board. Then I have to wait 47.5 hours before I can attack again. That's not fun. Is there something you can do about this? Some way to shorten the time between attack phases?

The second issue is matchmaking. I've won every single match since GA came out. I've never had my board cleared. I've only had someone reach my back zone once. Now I'm a whale so I'm not against having a bit of an advantage but these matches are so lopsided it's not even funny. 80% of the time my opponent either doesn't set a defense or doesn't attack me at all. They know, and I know, they have no chance against me before the match even starts. I've talked to my opponents on occasion and set some easy teams for them just so they can get some mission credit. Something has to be done to make it at little more balanced.

TW
Let me start out by saying my guild has won our last 17 matches in a row. Yes, 17-0. The last time we lost was back in September of 2018, so I'm not coming from a viewpoint of boohoo we can't win so please change things. These bonuses have completely taken the fun out of TW though, which previously was the most fun aspect of SWGOH.

First, the amount of time needed for TW is off the charts now. I am an officer of a guild and the amount of planning we have to do with all these changing bonuses is insane. Creating defenses, figuring out strategies, communicating everything to the rest of the guild, etc. takes up way, way, way too much time now because of the bonuses. As an officer, it's my job to help the rest of the guild, especially the people that don't have hours to do research every TW. I liked doing that when TW was a static event, but now it simply takes way too much time.

Second, the amount of time these bonus teams takes regular members is enormous. Your average player doesn't have time to research, remod a bunch of teams, etc. every TW to make sure whatever flavor of the week bonus teams need to be used are viable. The attack phase takes a ton of time by itself. Using 5-10 teams during the attack phase takes enough time as it is. Now add to that the time it takes to figure out what to do with these bonuses teams and your average player simply doesn't have enough time.

Third, the bonuses are overpowered. Single character bonuses are not terrible, but these entire squad bonuses that make them ridiculously overpowered just sucks the fun out of TW. Even winning doesn't feel great anymore when you're frustrated half the TW trying to deal with these overpowered squads.

Lastly, you're asking people to invest in teams that largely are not useful outside of when the bonuses are applied. I get what you're trying to do from a financial standpoint - get people to invest in characters they otherwise wouldn't - but I can tell you that's not happening, at least not on the scale that would make it worthwhile. Our F2P players and dolphins have to focus on getting all the new legendaries and hero journey characters (Revan, Chewbacca, C3PO, presumably Darth Revan/Malik), and expecting that they are going to stop that and gear/level characters that get a bonus just in TW and just a couple times a month, if that, is not reasonable. The amount of money you're going to make from people upgrading these previously unused squads vs the amount you're going to lose from people quitting the game and/or going from p2p to f2p because of this, doesn't seem worth it.

Please review these bonuses. The vast majority of the community has expressed their dislike for entire squad bonuses. I understand you need to make money, but surely there is another way to do it than forcing something the majority of the community dislikes down our throats.

Thanks for listening.
Post edited by Ikky2win on

Replies

• UdalCuain
    4996 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    From a F2P perspective, excellent post. I lose a bit more often than you in GA, but agree with all your points, especially those concerning TW. The only thing I would add to the planning point is that one day notice of new buffs makes the job of officers even more tricky. Give us this news at least 3/4 days before the TW.

It's a real shame this will fall on the deaf ears of the powers that be.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Hats off to you. Most would simply argue to their advantage as if the game means anything if we don't have fun.
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    No_Try wrote: »
    Hats off to you. Most would simply argue to their advantage as if the game means anything if we don't have fun.

Thank you! That’s one of the things I hope the post gets across. Having fun is more important than winning and will keep me playing the game longer. One should be able to win and have fun at the same time. Losing is never fun of course but spending a zillion hours on this game AND losing has to be miserable.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    That's why I've been arguing for a fair system (and I have exact ideas how to establish that=revamp GP calculation). But since I'm f2p and even though I'm winning all my GAs people still think I'm arguing for my own advantage.
  • five2zero
    512 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    GA Match making let me stop leveling / gearing my character. Thats really great design. And 3v3 too, fastest Mods wins, thats all.
    But the 24h delay is needed, not all people have time at the same time. People have different working times, others needs more time for family and friends.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    five2zero wrote: »
    GA Match making let me stop leveling / gearing my character. Thats really great design. And 3v3 too, fastest Mods wins, thats all.
    But the 24h delay is needed, not all people have time at the same time. People have different working times, others needs more time for family and friends.

They are now increasing GA frequency. Maybe they can provide 2 avenues for this, one the normal way, the other one 2x GAs for slightly better rewards in total. You sign up to one or the other.

Or not 2 GAs, but one with more players in the league with shorter deployment/play times.
  • Ikky2win wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the devs will read this, much less take action; however, I felt it necessary to pen some thoughts down. The reason I mention I'm a whale is because I have a different game experience from someone who is f2p, so I think it's important to note that my viewpoint is not going to be the same for everyone.

GA
    There are two main issues I have with GA. First, the amount of time between matches. For me, it's a few minutes of fun every 48 hours. I love the GA format but the time between matches needs to somehow be shortened. Set my teams, wait 24 hours. Attack, wait 24 hours. Set my teams, wait 24 hours, rinse and repeat. For me, it takes no more than 20-30 minutes to clear my opponents board. Then I have to wait 47.5 hours before I can attack again. That's not fun. Is there something you can do about this? Some way to shorten the time between attack phases?

The second issue is matchmaking. I've won every single match since GA came out. I've never had my board cleared. I've only had someone reach my back zone once. Now I'm a whale so I'm not against having a bit of an advantage but these matches are so lopsided it's not even funny. 80% of the time my opponent either doesn't set a defense or doesn't attack me at all. They know, and I know, they have no chance against me before the match even starts. I've talked to my opponents on occasion and set some easy teams for them just so they can get some mission credit. Something has to be done to make it at little more balanced.

TW
    Let me start out by saying my guild has won our last 16 matches in a row. Yes, 16-0. The last time we lost was back in September of 2018, so I'm not coming from a viewpoint of boohoo we can't win so please change things. These bonuses have completely taken the fun out of TW though, which previously was the most fun aspect of SWGOH.

First, the amount of time needed for TW is off the charts now. I am an officer of a guild and the amount of planning we have to do with all these changing bonuses is insane. Creating defenses, figuring out strategies, communicating everything to the rest of the guild, etc. takes up way, way, way too much time now because of the bonuses. As an officer, it's my job to help the rest of the guild, especially the people that don't have hours to do research every TW. I liked doing that when TW was a static event, but now it simply takes way too much time.

Second, the amount of time these bonus teams takes regular members is enormous. Your average player doesn't have time to research, remod a bunch of teams, etc. every TW to make sure whatever flavor of the week bonus teams need to be used are viable. The attack phase takes a ton of time by itself. Using 5-10 teams during the attack phase takes enough time as it is. Now add to that the time it takes to figure out what to do with these bonuses teams and your average player simply doesn't have enough time.

Third, the bonuses are overpowered. Single character bonuses are not terrible, but these entire squad bonuses that make them ridiculously overpowered just sucks the fun out of TW. Even winning doesn't feel great anymore when you're frustrated half the TW trying to deal with these overpowered squads.

Lastly, you're asking people to invest in teams that largely are not useful outside of when the bonuses are applied. I get what you're trying to do from a financial standpoint - get people to invest in characters they otherwise wouldn't - but I can tell you that's not happening, at least not on the scale that would make it worthwhile. Our F2P players and dolphins have to focus on getting all the new legendaries and hero journey characters (Revan, Chewbacca, C3PO, presumably Darth Revan/Malik), and expecting that they are going to stop that and gear/level characters that get a bonus just in TW and just a couple times a month, if that, is not reasonable. The amount of money you're going to make from people upgrading these previously unused squads vs the amount you're going to lose from people quitting the game and/or going from p2p to f2p because of this, doesn't seem worth it.

Please review these bonuses. The vast majority of the community has expressed their dislike for entire squad bonuses. I understand you need to make money, but surely there is another way to do it than forcing something the majority of the community dislikes down our throats.

Thanks for listening.

Very well said!
    I hate the 24 hours. That could easily be cut in half, and people could get by just fine.
    I’m not a whale, I’m free to play, but someone that ranks 1st daily in arenas and is able to compete at a higher level. I couldn’t agree more on the squad bonuses too. That’s a real kick in the groun and time sink.
    Just rework the teams and make them usable.

Hats off to you for your post
  • Agree with GA match system needs a fine tune. Times between phases of GA can be solved in some way if two different GA tournaments or TW/GA occur at the same time.

And yes faction bonuses are insane over powered.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Ofc that's not what's gonna happen. Leave it to CG to ruin a good thing. They'll just make us play twice as much for the same amount of total rewards very soon xD.
  • Agreed with only one comment. Even though I hate the 24 hours, with work and other responsibilities throughout the day - sometimes I do appreciate the longer time given. People are not glued in their phones 24/7.
  • How about commencing the attack phase once both players have set their defence? With a 24 hour limit
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Well written post and I agree with the majority of it, though my in-game perspective is rather different.

Matchmaking in GA and TW is a mess because GP is a measure of resource investment not of power. We need better and it needs to include a measure of player / guild skill such as past performance.

The ridiculous faction-level buffs in TW are both silly and annoying. If anything, faction-level buffs should be weaker than hero toon buffs and neither should create a nigh impenetrable wall to anything short of another buffed toon / squad.

GA's are perhaps longer than they ought to be but they would have to change the bracket scoring structure to shorten it because you really have to allow 24hr windows or some timezone somewhere is penalized.

GA

Get over with it, you face ppl all over the world, with different jobs and playing time.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    How about commencing the attack phase once both players have set their defence? With a 24 hour limit
    In order to matchmake the next round you have to know the outcomes of all the current round matches.
  • Agreed with only one comment. Even though I hate the 24 hours, with work and other responsibilities throughout the day - sometimes I do appreciate the longer time given. People are not glued in their phones 24/7.

I like the 24 hours and the gap between offensive phases. Reducing phase length and adding events that amount to an additional 20-30 minutes a day doesn't seem like much until I look at my usage and see that this game already takes about two hours of my time most days. I love GA and find the pacing to be about right.
  • The 24 hour window is needed , I play by iPad so I’m not mobile and if I was to play against someone on the other side of the world one of us will be sleeping and probably get screwed over.

Secondly Grand arena , I haven’t lost yet but absolutely hate it. To stay competitive I have to sandbag which is a complete contradiction of my orginal goal of being a Pokemon master. I would love instead if there was a option to co-op with random person or persons in a pve.

GA

TW
    Let me start out by saying my guild has won our last 16 matches in a row. Yes, 16-0. The last time we lost was back in September of 2018, so I'm not coming from a viewpoint of boohoo we can't win so please change things. These bonuses have completely taken the fun out of TW though, which previously was the most fun aspect of SWGOH.

Thanks for listening.

Your roster is 3M GP with a stacked top end and an undeveloped bottom end, so you’re having an easy time at the moment vs the average 3M player. The more GP you add, the more evenly matched you’ll be. Up at 4.8M, every player is a challenge unless they’re just not trying.
  • Your post seems a bit conflicted. Too little time in GA, too much time in TW.
    I agree with us not having resources to put into these other teams but I usually do end up improving them at least a little. I don't like that by doing that I hurt myself in GA because those teams increase my GP but don't give me a useable team without the bonuses.
  • @Ikky2win
    I completely understand all of your points, and why you have them. I agree with most of them. I’m going to address the ones I disagree with...
    Set my teams, wait 24 hours. Attack, wait 24 hours. Set my teams, wait 24 hours, rinse and repeat. For me, it takes no more than 20-30 minutes to clear my opponents board. Then I have to wait 47.5 hours before I can attack again. That's not fun.
    Unfortunately - since this is a game played globally, and by people who have very different schedules - current setup is the only way to serve everyone. Yes there are several options to alleviate this, not the least of which having a time period option when we join. Just having the option to join a 12 hour stage matchup or a 24 hour stage matchup would be awesome.
    TW
    I more or less disagree with all of this. As an officer, I volunteered to research the bonuses for this current TW as soon as the bonuses were listed, come up with a plan on how they are best manipulated, come up with a plan on how the guild could best implement the teams, and bring all that information to the rest of the leaders so we could discuss, and how best to inform the rest of the guild.
    I determined Geos would be best used on defense, with as much speed as possible. So in the banner we put “TW: please mod your Geonocians for speed!”
    We leaders spent the next 12 hours discussing team comps, since there are only 4 Geos. We came up with some darn great ideas! My theory crafting research time was also spent thinking up the best way to counter Geo zones we may encounter.
    When Setup Phase started we labeled the zone “Geonocian teams G7+, ask for team compositions”. Many players asked for suggestions, a few came up with their own (B2, IPD, Rex lead).
    A lot of work, for a potential extra zeta? Yes. But to be honest I had a LOT of fun with it! I’m hoping the zone does decently, if our opponents get to it.
    Another thing we do with every bonus TW is make notes with what zones we had and how they did. When the Geo zone next happens we’ll be more than ready.
    The amount of money you're going to make from people upgrading these previously unused squads vs the amount you're going to lose from people quitting the game and/or going from p2p to f2p because of this, doesn't seem worth it.
    Wait...what??? Ummmm who on earth is going to look at a TW bonus and say “You know what? I’m done investing in this game”?!?! All because your guild may get 1 less zeta mat from a three day event? Really?!?! 🤨
    And to be clear: I’m very confident in saying TW bonuses on otherwise unused toons has no intent of a cash grab. The point is to switch things up, make things more fun, and let people utilize their full roster. I can’t think of anything more boring than the same stupid TW over and over and over again. Like in arena where I face Revan over and over and over again. There are WAY too many boring things in this game, and I’m glad they were able to come up with SOME idea to break the mundane.
    And yes, the bonuses are way overpowered. Last TW we cleared their board, and they got stuffed on our Revan and Clones zones. But....we cleared their Revan and Clones zones, so maybe the bonuses aren’t completely overpowered.

The last thing I will say about GA and TW: if you think it is so terrible that it is not worth playing, you are given the option to join, or not join. If you are a whale or dolphin and are so disappointed with those two aspects of the game that you are unwilling to play them and go F2P, or play them but go F2P, over a zeta mat or two....That’s on you.
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Well written post and I agree with the majority of it, though my in-game perspective is rather different.

Matchmaking in GA and TW is a mess because GP is a measure of resource investment not of power. We need better and it needs to include a measure of player / guild skill such as past performance.

The ridiculous faction-level buffs in TW are both silly and annoying. If anything, faction-level buffs should be weaker than hero toon buffs and neither should create a nigh impenetrable wall to anything short of another buffed toon / squad.

GA's are perhaps longer than they ought to be but they would have to change the bracket scoring structure to shorten it because you really have to allow 24hr windows or some timezone somewhere is penalized.

GP is not a measure of resource investment, it only gets higher with resource investment. However it does not correlate with the relative cost resources. i.e. g12 is 2x the GP of g8, but g12 resources cost 6x the g8.
  • Post is very well written but I disagree with almost everything said.

I'm not a whale, maybe dolphin. I'm causal player and I'm playing this game for about an year. I look for non hardcore guilds where I don't need to go through any complex planning and where discord is not used. For 30+M guild with few 1.5+M players and rest being somewhere between 50-400k, TW bonuses are super interesting because they bring variety. I want to see those bonuses in all arenas as well.

What I'm trying to say is that there is no solution which would work for everyone. There will be a large population of players who prefer TWs with bonuses over Vanilla TWs and that's why we should have both rotating as it is done now.

I can't see how GA could work without those 24 hour phases. People play at different times and you can't force 8 people to sync and make the whole season done in day or two. It is never going to work.

Btw. you are winning GA because it was introduced too late and people who invested little bit to a lot of characters don't stand a chance against people who have very focused teams and keep rest of their roaster on lvl 1 and even don't upgrade characters. If people knew about that sooner, they could build their roaster differently. There is also aspect of Active GP vs Total GP if GA season is not using ships. I stopped upgrading ships I'm not using regularly to not inflate my GP.

• Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    Your post seems a bit conflicted. Too little time in GA, too much time in TW.
    I agree with us not having resources to put into these other teams but I usually do end up improving them at least a little. I don't like that by doing that I hurt myself in GA because those teams increase my GP but don't give me a useable team without the bonuses.

I’m not saying GA takes too little time. I think the amount of time / effort it takes is just right. It’s the time in between phases that I dislike. I would like to see it more compressed somehow rather than 20-30 minutes of fighting and then 47.5 hours of waiting to attack again.

GA

TW

Thanks for listening.

Very well said!
    I hate the 24 hours. That could easily be cut in half, and people could get by just fine.
    I’m not a whale, I’m free to play, but someone that ranks 1st daily in arenas and is able to compete at a higher level. I couldn’t agree more on the squad bonuses too. That’s a real kick in the groun and time sink.
    Just rework the teams and make them usable.

Hats off to you for your post

They could not easily cut off half the time. Many of us sleep. And have jobs. That's typically 16 hours a day not playing Star Wars. Shall we punish them for only having 8 hours a day to play? What if that 12 hour window is during their 16 hours off game? And finally what if im time Zulu and my oponent is Zulu +12. One if us is missing an entire set up phase and then the other misses attack phase.

Waiting sucks. But unless they match us up by time zone it has to be done.
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    What if they staggered it and made defense 12 and attack 24 and matched you by timezone +/- 2 hours. Example: defense phase 7:00 a.m to 7:00 p.m. Attack phase 7:00 p.m to 7:00 p.m. defense phase 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. attack phase 7:00 a.m to 7:00 a.m defense phase 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. attack phase 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    What if they staggered it and made defense 12 and attack 24 and matched you by timezone +/- 2 hours. Example: defense phase 7:00 a.m to 7:00 p.m. Attack phase 7:00 p.m to 7:00 p.m. defense phase 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. attack phase 7:00 a.m to 7:00 a.m defense phase 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. attack phase 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

the reason they pushed this from a 12 to a 24 hour phase was due to people that need more than 12 hours. some people work long shifts, among other reasons.

That would not work for me. I start work at 7am, often don’t get out until 8pm.
    Your post seems a bit conflicted. Too little time in GA, too much time in TW.

I’m not saying GA takes too little time. I think the amount of time / effort it takes is just right. It’s the time in between phases that I dislike. I would like to see it more compressed somehow rather than 20-30 minutes of fighting and then 47.5 hours of waiting to attack again.

I recommend you not blow through it in 30 minutes. Take your time. There is no rush.
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    I don’t rush. That’s just how long it takes me. Most of the fights are well known by this point. I take a sticky note, map out what squads I’m going to use vs each of my opponents squads, then go do it.

At this point it’s just kind of a letdown. I do my fights then wait 47.5 hours for more fun. I don’t want the fights to last longer or anything, I just want less downtime inbetween.
  • I agree with all comments in the original post. I do have a way to balance the players. Every g12*10+g11*9 +g10*8+g9*7+g8*5+g7*4+g6*3+g5*2+g4+g3+g2+#zetas*10. This would work for every player and really figures who is higher. When ships are used the add similar ship equation. It's freaking simple and would equalize whales and f2p without any further calculation.
    I would really like a squad selection for ships like we have for characters.
    And rework mods to make it so very less time consuming. Allowing for mods to be placed on characters directly to each toon not having each toon forced to be opened
  • I'm
    RuthDragon wrote: »
    I agree with all comments in the original post. I do have a way to balance the players. Every g12*10+g11*9 +g10*8+g9*7+g8*5+g7*4+g6*3+g5*2+g4+g3+g2+#zetas*10. This would work for every player and really figures who is higher. When ships are used the add similar ship equation. It's freaking simple and would equalize whales and f2p without any further calculation.
    I would really like a squad selection for ships like we have for characters.
    And rework mods to make it so very less time consuming. Allowing for mods to be placed on characters directly to each toon not having each toon forced to be opened

Anything that creates more 'equal' matchups reduces the incentives to improve your roster and your desire to do so with in game purchases. I think the GP based matchups are probably working very well in CG's opinion.