What characters need no speed?

mvmss
213 posts Member
So, speed is basically air, in terms of mods for almost all characters in this game. My question is what characters work well, even in a niche role, without adding speed to them??

The high-tenacity Nest is ine of them. A similar build can be applied to Baze. I run GMY and RT with no focus on speed, but they do benefit from some speed.

Let's share some ideas and put unused mods into use.

Replies

• Phoenixeon
    1842 posts Member
    Options
    Vet chewie
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Sith Trooper.
    GK in Revan or Bastila team could be annoying too. RT trooper needs offense more than speed since he has massive TM gain anyway.
    In general tanks that are only good for their taunt (especially passive taunt) are better with low speed.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Resistance Trooper. Canderous and Ewok Scout need very little speed for same reasons as RT.

Vet chewie benefits from being slower but I have 50 speed on him. His buff wipe and stun and AOE speed down are very valuable.

Zaalbar can benefit from crit reduction arrow, but speed secondary would help. Same with L3. She gains a lot of TM.

I think there is an argument for slow (max offense) Mission and Visas if you use them in Sith Raid.
  • Options
    Snow trooper all damage load out.
  • Drageero
    151 posts Member
    Options
    B2 doesn't. It'll gain 100% TM pretty often.
  • Options
    Zoda in a meta Revansetup.
  • Damodamo
    1586 posts Member
    Options
    Why no speed on gmy with revan? I have mine going as fast as possible, like +109 or something
  • mvmss
    213 posts Member
    Options
    Damodamo wrote: »
    Why no speed on gmy with revan? I have mine going as fast as possible, like +109 or something

Because of all the assists that team calls. GMY's base speed is already pretty high, he gains TM when attacks someone over 50% health and you would benefit more from higher dmg than speed
  • Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    Vet chewie benefits from being slower but I have 50 speed on him. His buff wipe and stun and AOE speed down are very valuable.

I have him +47.
    Against fast opponents, he crits somone 60k under zQi'ra's lead, pretty impressive.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    It's highly sitational to benefit from not having more speed.
    Some characters do benefit more from other stat boosts from mods than speed, but still benefit from speed nontheless.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • mvmss
    213 posts Member
    Options
    Phoenixeon wrote: »

I have him +47.
    Against fast opponents, he crits somone 60k under zQi'ra's lead, pretty impressive.

Nice! What gear level?
  • Zombie961
    1819 posts Member
    Options
    Baze, Droideka, Kanan, Sith and resistance trooper
  • Phoenixeon
    1842 posts Member
    Options
    mvmss wrote: »

I have him +47.

Nice! What gear level?

G12 with ArmaTek mk12 armor plating.
  • Options
    Baze, b2 battle Droid,
  • Options
    I run dooku. He gets ripped to shreds if he has speed, so he's the only one in my squad who doesn't. He's pretty fast (when I first played this game he always went first) so give him health and defense.
  • mvmss
    213 posts Member
    Options
    Counter characters, in general, can be run this way, indeed.
  • trevyclause
    399 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

I have him +47.

Wow. I never realized that. I’ve got a good amount of speed on him, but I realize I should switch it for as much offense/health as I can. Thanks!!

You never know what post is going to help teach you something haha.
  • Fahrius
    620 posts Member
    Options
    zmission, clone sarge, b2, tanky traya doesnt need loads of speed to do well either,
    https://swgoh.gg/u/fahrius/ - Discord - Fahrius#1194
  • Options
    Droideka is the most notable.
    The more the other side moves, the more damage stacks.
    Get good and get a Revan. Ryanwhales
  • Options
    For making a time-out team, some prefer no speed on Nest.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    No toon benefits from no speed added.

Some toons are ok to sacrifice speed on, but you generally lose their general effectiveness and make them part of the team to produce 1 single roll.

Good examples of toons that are ok to sacrifice speed on:
    - auto taunt
    - tm gain

Just keep in mind low speed means they dont take a turn, which will leave them vulnerable to debuffs, a buff immunity on a slow auto taunt, removes them from the match.

A stun/daze on a slow attacker who gains TM, removes them from the match.

It is always better to add speed then work your way down to add the attributes you want.

Health and protection on an auto taunt is more important than speed, but if you cant add that, just dropping speed serves less purpose. Tenacity is another good one to add here.

Crit chance(where applicable)/crit damage/offense are all good adds for a toon who will gain thier own TM, but you still want some decent speed to keep them moving. Potency is a good add here, but kit dependent.

There is a lot of good advice in this thread, I'm not disagreeing with that, just sharing my perspective on slow toons.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options

I have him +47.

Wow. I never realized that. I’ve got a good amount of speed on him, but I realize I should switch it for as much offense/health as I can. Thanks!!

The Vets as a pair are extremely underrated. Between the two of them they offer some of the best control abilities in the game: 2x stuns, buff wipe, stagger, daze and AOE ability block and speed down on a short cool down. They can literally shut the other team down completely. Both need potency.
    I run them under a 4* Lando lead with CWC and storm Han. If you can get Vet Han fast enough to go early it can lead to bad things for the other team.

And both have high health steal and hit hard. A good pair. I would love to take them both to g12 because I just like scoundrels, but with all of the forced farms its tough.

A really good team is CWC lead, Both Vets, L3 and Vandor. Can rack up a whole lot of defesive wins in TW.
  • Options
    I am using ewokll scout for C3PO . should I ignore speed on him and go all out health crit crit d and offense?
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    I am using ewokll scout for C3PO . should I ignore speed on him and go all out health crit crit d and offense?

I'm using him too. Not sure but there is a guide linked in the individual events forum on "how to use Ewoks" its a good read.
  • Options

I have him +47.

The Vets as a pair are extremely underrated. Between the two of them they offer some of the best control abilities in the game: 2x stuns, buff wipe, stagger, daze and AOE ability block and speed down on a short cool down. They can literally shut the other team down completely. Both need potency.
    I run them under a 4* Lando lead with CWC and storm Han. If you can get Vet Han fast enough to go early it can lead to bad things for the other team.

And both have high health steal and hit hard. A good pair. I would love to take them both to g12 because I just like scoundrels, but with all of the forced farms its tough.

A really good team is CWC lead, Both Vets, L3 and Vandor. Can rack up a whole lot of defesive wins in TW.

Was thinking of lando too.
    We have too many scoundrels around (most of them are han and chewie..) and not enough leaders like Qi'ra.
    Currently running Stolo(L), yolo, yando, both vets as a TW/GA team, but not so impressive...
    Going to try Lando(L), both vets, T3 and magna...but T3 at G7 12/85, magna at G7 and I heard that he need tons of carbantis...but I need a tank (gam guard: hey! I am a tank and a scoundrel!)
    The other one is Plo(L) for dispell, yolo, STolo, cholo and yando...

And nope, every others do have a team. We really needs beckett with a good leadership skill tho.
  • Options
    It's more subtle than "which characters need no speed" just like it's more subtle than "every character benefits from speed" in that it's context dependent.

To me there are 3 categories
    1. Characters that (given context) actually suffer a detrimental effect when they take a turn and so in effect speed is actually a bad thing to add.
    2. Characters that do not suffer a detrimental effect if they take turns but who benefit more from another stat than they do speed.
    3. Characters that you would like to add speed to as a priority but that it's acceptable to neglect speed on because you've run out of mods with good speed secondaries (as they are all on characters that absolutely need to be fast)

Case 1 is very rare. Basically boils down to examples like Nest when she has 100 more tenacity than the potency of the only opposing characters that can stun, daze or otherwise prevent counter attacks. I.e. it's context dependent on the basis of the team compositions on both sides of the battle. Another example would be GK or other exclusively auto taunting tank only used for protecting squishy characters when there is an external source or health and protection regen against a specific team that doesn't have a dispel, which is pretty rare. Droideka and general grievous potentially fall in this category too but that's less certain to me.

Case 2 is what most people refer to in this conversation. For this case, more speed (in isolation) is beneficial, however mods have a limited total amount of stat benefit and a mod with speed secondary upgraded 4 times will limit the amount of offense/protection/health etc. etc. that mod can add. Take as an example GMY in a Revan team - for his first 4 to 6 turns or so (assuming he is called to assist when available by other characters) he only needs to fill his TM bar between 20 and 25% by use of his natural speed. Consequently if you add speed you technically do increase his turn rate but it's a truly imperceptible amount whereas if you use the same limited stat value from mods for offense you increase his average damage per turn taken by a very significant amount. Given there is very little to no stun/daze/TM removal in the current meta speed is almost completely wasted on him which is why you see GMY with less than +50 speed feature more heavily than normal in the mod meta for rank 1 revan squads.
    Another example is First Order Executioner which I mention because it's defense/offense dependent. On offense (or raids) you can neglect both speed and crit chance because you can target him with First order officer giving TM and advantage and pick debuffed targets to attack while controlling characters that stun/daze. In this case FOX basically never generates TM naturally and always crits. On defense however FOO targets lowest HP character (not FOX) so you need to add a bit of speed and CC even if the primary focus remains CD and Health.
    Similarly, think Traya with Fallen Bastila on offense vs Revan (protection, crit avoidance and defense more useful than speed) but on defense speed, offense and health are all much more useful.
    To Summarize - these characters technically benefit from speed, but for each speed upgrade on the mods you put on them you are sacrificing an upgrade on a more beneficial stat.

Case 3 is more a case of farm more mods primarily but in the meantime if limited these are the least important characters in your teams to add speed to and that includes counter attackers and auto taunters etc. that have other useful abilities and would suffer from daze/stun like GK, Baze, Dooku, Sith Trooper etc.

Some characters like GK for example fall into all three categories depending on context and I don't think there's any way to give an accurate or meaningful list of characters that don't need speed from mods without specific contextual examples. Back to the first example of Nest - as soon as the opponent has a character with enough potency to land stun or daze - she switches from benefiting from no speed at all, to benefiting from all the speed you can possibly squeeze onto her.

TL;DR It's context dependent not character dependent - TM gain, counter attack/assists and auto taunts make other stats more important than speed (not speed less important) whereas opponents daze, stun and dispel make speed more important than other stats you would replace it with.
  • mvmss
    213 posts Member
    Options
    Great post, Eduardo!