Squad Arena isn't fun anymore

All the mirror matches, all the revans being in top 50.....i just do my 2 battles a day and just leave it at that. its not worth potentially timing out to try and go up a couple spots. Squad arena is very unfun right now. There is no non-revan defense against Revan teams. The best defense at this point is to have a revan team that times out other revan teams. The main culprit in this meta being as dominated by Revan is zeta Jolee Bindo. He's just so hard to kill and you can't debuff him or crit him. he's tanky and his zeta makes going after everyone else in the squad worthless. if you don't kill Jolee quick enough, you lose because you time out. Really frustrating and unfun. Jolee needs to be nerfed a bit. Maybe make his revive SA start on cool down?

Right now Grand Arena has replaced Squad Arena as what is the most fun in this game. At least in Grand Arena i get to use all my other teams and i don't have to fight against a wall of other Revan teams. There is a lot of viable squads to use in Grand Arena whereas there is really only one in Squad Arena. Right now if you run anything other than Revan in squad arena you fall a lot in rank, so it really makes the meta as one sided as it is right now. I hope CG adds something soon to mix things up because it's really starting to sap my enjoyment of this game. And i have 3 accounts and have been playing 3+ years.

Replies

  • crzydroid
    4603 posts Moderator
    You can always do four battles with something else, I suppose, then switch to Revan for your last. It might strain your mods. But I have seen Revan teams swap out a fifth for Chewbacca while climbing, then switch back for defense.
  • I see these complaints, but I can only assume they come from those who are used to dominating in arena using other squads that held the meta, and now they're upset because it's more difficult or "impossible".

    Sure, Revan (and zJolee) makes it crazy more difficult to climb that ladder... but given I could rarely break 100 before I got him, and now I'm breaking closer to 50 on the regular, I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one who likes the new mechanics for Jedi in the game. I agree that timing out is a pain in the ****, but there's a guy in my guild who gets #1 in his shard with NS against all of those Revan squads. I still see NS, Traya and CLS squads in my shard's top 100.

    Going up against well built STR squads with EP and Thrawn is still a pain in the ****, even with Revan and sometimes I time out against those purely because of Sion. **** about zJolee but Nihilus can still annihilate and Traya can isolate and no one comes back from those. How is zJolee as a single toon worse than a zzMT lead? Or add in Daka behind her?

    Come on. Get creative. Play if you want to play, don't play if you really think it's no fun. Your strengths won't be at the top of the pile all of the time. Do you think the majority of the player base is in the top 50 of every shard? Or the thousands of ranks that fall below that still using plenty of other teams?

    What do I know, though? I'm just some n00b trying to apply rational and reasonable thought to an argument on the internet.
  • Stick
    459 posts Member
    Squad arena has never been fun. It’s just something you have to do for crystals. The outcomes can only be in a limited scope. The recipe to win will always be the same. Get the best team > gold gear >fastest mods possible > success.

    It was before revan, it will be after. It’s never going to be able to be that different. Not like grand arena, where there is so many more variables
  • Jarvind
    2861 posts Member
    edited March 5
    obikenobi1 wrote: »
    Squad Arena isn't fun anymore

    Was it ever? It's always been the most tedious, stressful part of the game for me.

    Tedious because it's been a LONG time since there were more than one or two teams capable of taking top spots, and the introduction of mods made it so that there would always be opponents who were just so stupidly fast that they became nearly impossible to beat unless you were as insanely lucky as they were, in addition to having the current New Hotness geared and zeta'd up.

    Stressful because it forces you to monitor your position in the ladder every. single. day. to ensure you're where you want to be when your payout hits. I don't enjoy being forced to constantly jockey for position just to get my pixels. Joining a shard chat helps, but it still eats ****.

    If I didn't have to play it for crystals, and arena coins to convert into credits, I'd drop it like a bad habit before you could say "Utinni."

  • Kalano
    388 posts Member
    Why are people complaining about mirror matches? They chose mirror match over using a counter!
    Complaining about own choice is strange, isn’t it 🤔
  • Kalano wrote: »
    Why are people complaining about mirror matches? They chose mirror match over using a counter!
    Complaining about own choice is strange, isn’t it 🤔

    Because Revan teams hold. Partly because of the strength of the team and partly because it's easy to blend into the terrain.

    Sure you can climb with Traya or CLS or NS, but you're gonna stand out like a glow-in-the-dark zeppelin.

    Also - the Revan team is pretty user friendly - you already need Bast and Jolee just to get Revan, likely have GK sitting around, and GMY as well.

    Traya is a much harder team to acquire. NS are good but apparently highly mod dependent. CLS only works with 3P0, which relied on really well geared Ewoks.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • i'll second (or third or fourth) the notion that arena was never fun. revan didn't make a good thing bad, but made a bad thing much worse.
  • Kalano
    388 posts Member
    You are saying Revan holds best on defense. Got it. Still no reason to complain about mirror matches. Set him on defense after climbing.

    You say, one needs to actually work on alternative squads to beat Revan. Got it. Still no reason to complain. Of course you have to work on your squad if you want to rank high.
    Even clone wars chewie is able to beat Revan!!!

    Still it’s everyones choice to go mirror or not 🤷‍♀️
  • K1r_Kanos wrote: »
    I see these complaints, but I can only assume they come from those who are used to dominating in arena using other squads that held the meta, and now they're upset because it's more difficult or "impossible".

    Sure, Revan (and zJolee) makes it crazy more difficult to climb that ladder... but given I could rarely break 100 before I got him, and now I'm breaking closer to 50 on the regular, I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one who likes the new mechanics for Jedi in the game. I agree that timing out is a pain in the ****, but there's a guy in my guild who gets #1 in his shard with NS against all of those Revan squads. I still see NS, Traya and CLS squads in my shard's top 100.

    Going up against well built STR squads with EP and Thrawn is still a pain in the ****, even with Revan and sometimes I time out against those purely because of Sion. **** about zJolee but Nihilus can still annihilate and Traya can isolate and no one comes back from those. How is zJolee as a single toon worse than a zzMT lead? Or add in Daka behind her?

    Come on. Get creative. Play if you want to play, don't play if you really think it's no fun. Your strengths won't be at the top of the pile all of the time. Do you think the majority of the player base is in the top 50 of every shard? Or the thousands of ranks that fall below that still using plenty of other teams?

    What do I know, though? I'm just some n00b trying to apply rational and reasonable thought to an argument on the internet.

    LOL my shard has top 50 all Revan, except #'s 2 and 45 are Traya.
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    You can always do four battles with something else, I suppose, then switch to Revan for your last. It might strain your mods. But I have seen Revan teams swap out a fifth for Chewbacca while climbing, then switch back for defense.


    That's actually a great idea...bad thing is how many teams can 100% beat revan?

    I agree with the OP. Arena is boring now. At least before revans second coming we had the choice of fighting Traya and CLS....now not so much. The meta needs to change seriously fast. Never in this games history has a single team become the most played highest meta percentage ever.
  • Phoenixeon
    1093 posts Member
    I drop my ranks to 300 and still boring.
    Bastilla
    Palp
    Un-geared revan
    Traya
    NS
    CLS
    JTR
    Sometimes a ewok team.

    Thats not diversities, because you fight those teams twice a day over a year.
  • CosmicJ
    229 posts Member
    The more of these threads that are started, the greater the urgency for cg to change something. Keep em coming imo.

    I regularly climb to rank 1 with revan, so not saying this out of inability to climb... but would have much preferred to switch to seps if their rework was a bit better. Jedi v jedi every fight ftl.
  • Gifafi
    2083 posts Member
    it's the best it's ever been. mirror matches aren't bad (might be boring for those who had revan first time, but now it's down to squad comp and mod investment for all who have him now). Some timeouts, but it's kinda fun strategerizing against mirrors. I mean, people complain but before "who will their revan target first" it was "whose DN will get off annihilate first" and before that it was...etcetc
  • CHFC22
    698 posts Member
    Phoenixeon wrote: »
    I drop my ranks to 300 and still boring.
    Bastilla
    Palp
    Un-geared revan
    Traya
    NS
    CLS
    JTR
    Sometimes a ewok team.

    Thats not diversities, because you fight those teams twice a day over a year.

    You can reduce any number of teams using that argument. What would be enough? 20? 50? 100?

  • Ryzak620
    213 posts Member
    Some previous posters have said that arena is never fun. To me, it was the most fun part of the game at one point. Every person has a different facet of the game they enjoy more than the other. For me, I hate TW. If the rewards between winning and losing were greater, I might be more inclined to do it. I'm also done with the raids. I got everything (except super uber g12 pieces) I need from the raids, so I rarely bother anymore. Through all of that, for me, I had the arena. Now it is the dullest part of the game.

    Arena used to be the place where the best of the best went up against each other with different setups of teams. Until recently, there were always different combinations of teams that would let you win. Then the Traya thing started, and now it's the Revan thing. Even when Traya was the top team, there were at least 3-4 other leads that were viable and even held. My shard has nothing but Revan in the top 100. About the only variant is whether they use Chewie or Ezra in place of one of the other 5. It is an issue, and continues to be one.
    Unfortunately, CG will be lazy about things and instead of instituting some much needed balance to the game, they will simply release a new uber toon that destroys Revan teams, and then of course that new team will be untouchable by any other squad, and hence we'll see that team line up 1-100.
  • @K1r_Kanos Long term players aren't complaining because they're used to dominating, it's a matter of enjoyment. I personally enjoyed the initial CLS meta the most. There were a lot of mirrors, but not the same exact five at all times (Chaze / OB / ATF / Thrawn / GK all made appearaces at a much higher rate than Hoda or Ezra ), matches were fast, and mods mattered. There were also a number of counter teams (Rex / GK - Zarriss).

    The Revan meta is undesirable because:
    • The team comp is largely uniform
    • The matches are long and annoying to play
    • Mods don't matter nearly as much as they have in the past.
    • Counter teams are targeted and you need to remod to make them effective

    You might need to just believe me on my on the last point, but I can beat the "fastest" teams on one shard (all with 30 6 dot mods) in 2.5 minutes while timing out to the slowest (with a bunch of green and purples). Revan match mechanics have a lot more to do with turn order and RNG (hello Battle Meditation counter and who gets foresight after GK goes) than pure character speeds and statistics. And I've had a lot of practice (two accounts with Revan, once since the first run).


  • LOL my shard has top 50 all Revan, except #'s 2 and 45 are Traya.

    So you're confirming that other teams can still cut it, as was my point? Cool, thanks.
  • christopher152003
    381 posts Member
    edited March 6
    Kalano wrote: »
    Why are people complaining about mirror matches? They chose mirror match over using a counter!
    Complaining about own choice is strange, isn’t it 🤔

    Because Revan teams hold. Partly because of the strength of the team and partly because it's easy to blend into the terrain.

    Sure you can climb with Traya or CLS or NS, but you're gonna stand out like a glow-in-the-dark zeppelin.

    Also - the Revan team is pretty user friendly - you already need Bast and Jolee just to get Revan, likely have GK sitting around, and GMY as well.

    Traya is a much harder team to acquire. NS are good but apparently highly mod dependent. CLS only works with 3P0, which relied on really well geared Ewoks.

    Agreed I get attacked more and more the more Revan teams show up, and it's mostly (I am sure) out of boredom. I use to run top 20 with my NS until I recently stopped having fun in arena, it's the same **** fight every time, and to spend 15-25 minutes of my day doing the same thing it's just tedious. A game shouldn't become tedious because then it has lost all it's value.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Just watched a DB official video where he had Plo Koon in place of GK and he removed his speed arrow from Revan for the test and the rest of his team was slower than enemy. Claims he won 20/20 of the fights and it held the same on D. Plo TM special and Dispel on Basic makes the mirror matches easy.
  • Nikoms565
    11970 posts Member
    VonZant wrote: »
    Just watched a DB official video where he had Plo Koon in place of GK and he removed his speed arrow from Revan for the test and the rest of his team was slower than enemy. Claims he won 20/20 of the fights and it held the same on D. Plo TM special and Dispel on Basic makes the mirror matches easy.

    Those defending the current situation in arena or suggesting using different counters are missing the larger point - even if all of that is true, you still have to fight against the same team 5-10+ times a day. every. day.

    The lack of diversity in arena is the worst it has ever been in the 3+ years I have played - and it's not close. Yes, there are counters. Yes, they work. Yes, it is still a mind-numbingly boring arena - and has been for quite some time.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

    In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    VonZant wrote: »
    Just watched a DB official video where he had Plo Koon in place of GK and he removed his speed arrow from Revan for the test and the rest of his team was slower than enemy. Claims he won 20/20 of the fights and it held the same on D. Plo TM special and Dispel on Basic makes the mirror matches easy.

    Those defending the current situation in arena or suggesting using different counters are missing the larger point - even if all of that is true, you still have to fight against the same team 5-10+ times a day. every. day.

    The lack of diversity in arena is the worst it has ever been in the 3+ years I have played - and it's not close. Yes, there are counters. Yes, they work. Yes, it is still a mind-numbingly boring arena - and has been for quite some time.

    I'm not defending the meta. I'm on record as saying hes broken. There is a guy on my shard in the top 100 that has a Revan with +3 speed and none of his other toons have more than +50. In fact I have Revan and just refuse to run him in arena, much to my detriment.

    But that doesn't mean that you should not look for ways to make riding out the pain a bit less ... painful. ;)
  • mlb1399
    652 posts Member
    I’d just like to weed out some of the riff raff that appears in the top 10 almost weekly now. But it is fun beating these teams with NS, GG, Traya and other counters.
  • Ryzak620
    213 posts Member
    VonZant wrote: »
    I'm not defending the meta. I'm on record as saying hes broken. There is a guy on my shard in the top 100 that has a Revan with +3 speed and none of his other toons have more than +50. In fact I have Revan and just refuse to run him in arena, much to my detriment.

    But that doesn't mean that you should not look for ways to make riding out the pain a bit less ... painful. ;)

    I'm pretty much the same way. I'll throw him in on my last attempt I'm willing to do of the day just so I don't drop 60 spots like I do when I use one of the counters.
  • So many of these threads. It's like none of you have played this game for 3 years.....

    This has been the way the game has always been (at the top of the shards anyways). One meta squad will defend against the most teams. As a result almost everyone runs it on defense. As far as it being boring or exciting, I guess that's in the eye of the beholder.

    Personally I found the Traya meta to be far more boring. .

    At least the Revan meta requires some thought and planning on offense.

    I think the crux of the matter is too many people are just bad at this game and can't figure out the attack pattern required to down ai revans quickly. As a result, many are timing out and not able to climb as far as they could in previous metas.
  • Honestly, I agree wholeheartedly with this thread. Arena is less fun than it has ever been by a large margin. I'm a long time player, I have Revan, and I win most of the mirror matches, but it's just not fun at all. Arena is so tedious now that I play it only to maintain my rank, not because I enjoy the matches like I did in the past. Something needs to be done about the lack of diversity and also about the trend towards longer arena matches that we've been seeing lately. Diversity in arena has never been great, but it was certainly never this bad, and when you combine that with the potential for timeouts you've got the perfect recipe for a zero-fun situation.
  • At least the Revan meta requires some thought and planning on offense.

    You can't be serious? 😂😂😂
  • Streve
    15 posts Member
    Grand Arena and regular arena is no longer fun for me either and I don't have the money to blow to buy Revan. I have never dominated the top 100 but I was doing well enough I was getting there. Revan stopped my progress. I'm actually going the opposite direction now. I can't even play grand arena anymore because non marquis characters cannot beat him specially with Jolee Bindo in the Revan squad. Just had to vent.
  • At least the Revan meta requires some thought and planning on offense.

    You can't be serious? 😂😂😂

    I am actually. It is inarguable that this meta requires the player to take an active role. It's one of only two metas where you couldn't just hit auto and win. The other was traya, but that meta only took about 25s to get to the point you could kill enemy dn. Then you could hit auto.

    This one takes about 1:45 min to get past revives/savior and kill jolee. After that it still may not be safe to hit auto depending on which characters are left.

    And honestly that's why so many people hate this meta. They have trouble if something is not spoon fed to them.
Sign In or Register to comment.