Upgrading mods for speed

2Next

Replies

• I wish I had been keeping track, I've had some pretty nice increases to speed, once even a +6. I've ended up with multiple 14+ speed mods, really think they did mods 2.0 right.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Happy about it though. When statistics start balancing it out, probably gonna see speed going up on all my next week upgrades!
  • Dont get me wrong... i actually like mods 2.0
  • OG mods were about waiting until you found a gold mod in the store, buying it, then upgrading it and leaving it. It led to slow acquisition, but it was the same for everyone: your mods were determined by a combo of how much cash you threw at them and your luck.

Now there's actual strategy involved, and lesser mods can have value, assuming they end up with a speed secondary (or whatever you're looking for if you're doing someone special like RT). However it's very much a judgement call which mods are worth upgrading to determine whether a speed secondary exists. Upping a white mod to level 12 just to find out that there's no speed secondary is very expensive. Greens to level 9 aren't quite as bad. Only blues & purples are clearly worth upgrading if they don't already have a secondary showing, since you only have to upgrade to level 6 or 3 to be sure ...

...but then you're chucking them in the trash again.

It's all so much wasted resources. I hate the mod system because it allows you to move backwards - spending resources on a mod that turns out to be junk, so you have fewer resources that you did before and are no closer to the mod you need. It's not quite like spending energy to get zero shards, because energy doesn't bank above 144. It's use it or lose it. It's not like you can save it up and save it up til you really need it. If you have no farming priority, you still are better off spending it - and in any case, even if you don't get shards, you get cash & gear salvage & other things.

There's no compensation when you spend resources on a mod that turns out to be worthless. You can sell it, of course, but the gain in sell price is always less than you spent. So that's just wasting less, it's not actually getting anything.

No, I don't like the mod system. I'd much prefer a system where you could steadily work toward what you wanted, and if RNG isn't in your favor, you lose nothing, rather than a system that frequently takes you backward.
  • icanectc wrote: »
    I have hardly any 20+ mods, but I don't assume that the devs are lying about an equal chance for each stat to be raised. I definitely go through dry spells but just last week or so I was doing some mod management & got great luck with speeds gaining another mod with over +20 speed and one each of +15, +16 & +17. This was out of maybe 30-ish mods total that I was upgrading from green or blue.

I've been working on a pattern where I don't upgrade a blue mod to purple unless at least one of the 2 secondary upgrades went to speed. On a game level this means it's impossible for the speed to be less than 6, but even the +6 mods I generally skip. I always upgrade +8 or better, sometimes the +7 or better (depends on other attributes of the mod). This puts me in a situation where I'm upgrading a lot or +8 or +9 mods and a few +10 to +15 mods. There's a 43%+ chance that at least one of the next two upgrades is speed. This means that I upgrade quite a lot of mods to blue, then not very many to gold, but 43% of them are really good mods of +11 or better. While it's true that some of the blues that didn't give a bonus to a speed secondary might end up +11 or better if I upgraded them to gold, their chances are slim, so this is a better use of resources.

This way I've ended up with a lot of +14-16 mods. +17 seems to be hard to get, but I've got a good number of +17/18 as well. After that they are really rare, at least for me. It's not a perfect system, but it seems resource efficient and allows me to provide +75 to +89 speed to a lot of toons that I never use outside of TW/GA, TB special missions, and events.

The more interesting question to me is about the odds of getting a speed secondary in the first place.
    I haven't seen an official statement about whether or not each stat has an equal chance to become your next secondary when upgrading a mod that doesn't have 4 secondaries yet. It would be nice to get that confirmed, though my casual observations make me think that 1-in-3 mods with speed could be accurate, which would mean that there's an equal chance of a speed secondary on every mod (12 different secondaries, 4 secondaries per mod with no repeats allowed, thus 1-in-3 mods should have speed).

I absolutely don't believe the devs that it's an equal chance.

Maybe in the totality of all players it's equal but i definitely 100% believe per player it's not equal. Purely my opinion
    The 25% is the chance, not the guarantee. Do you think somebody at CG sits there, and chooses what secondary you get, or what secondary upgrades? Or you think they went so deep into coding that they gave you, specifically, special coding on mod upgrades?
    Take a 12-sided die. Roll it. If you get a 3, 4, or 5, pretend you got a speed mod, and the number is the number of speed on it. If you don’t: stop. When you get one of those numbers, roll it again to see if your speed upgrades, and by how much.
    Do this 40 times. You could get a 3, 4 or 5 on every roll. You could get none on any of your first rolls. It’s still 25% chance at the end of the day, not a 25% guarantee.
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • Ravifer
    52 posts Member
    Speed went up 1 out of 26 slices now.
  • Chances of speed increase is definitely lower than 25%. I would break the internet if I posted a pic of all the times a mod upgraded the other 3 secondaries and missed speed.
  • 1 out of 28. If the real chance for speed to go up is 1 out of 4, then game just wants me to quit, I guess...
  • Ravifer wrote: »
    1 out of 28. If the real chance for speed to go up is 1 out of 4, then game just wants me to quit, I guess...

Quick binomial distribution calculation says the odds of this happening assuming 25 precent chance of speed rolling are slightly more than 3 in 1000. While that is unlikely and feels extra crummy when it happens to you, it is not outside of the realm of possibility that some player somewhere in the game has a bad stretch like this considering the millions of mod upgrades happening likely daily.
  • Camakin
    102 posts Member
    No matter what anyone says, math is math and math doesn’t lie:
    If you have a gold mod with
    Potency %
    Offense
    Speed
    Protection %
    When you bump it to level 3, 1 of those 4 will get bumped up so it’s 1/4=.25 or 25%.
    This happens again at levels 6, 9 and 12. Level 15 then finishes the primary stat.
    To have the same stat get bumped all 4 times is 1/4•1/4•1/4•1/4= 1/256 for a 0.39% chance of happening.
    This is just the chance for the stat you want to bump 4 times. The amount it bumps is also random. IIRC speed can bump anywhere from 3-6 every roll making the level 1 gold mod with a 5 speed secondary bumping in to the 20s even more rare. It would need at least 3 bumps of 5!
    This is part of the reason why a lot of people don’t invest in mods because it’s totally random and really boils down to getting extremely lucky. As someone who remembers this game before mods the best advice I can give someone on mods is buy as many good ones as you can from the mod store and farm a type for 2 days, then slice mats for 2 days and switch back and forth. Always keep mods with speed secondaries. Trash anything that isn’t 5•. Bump by 3 levels or stop at level 12 before going to level 15, the biggest cost to upgrade starts at 13. Speed, offense, protection and Crit chance are always good. You can never have enough mods and for some reason tenacity always seems to bump.
    "Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows them?"--Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • Update. 3 out of 32 slices had speed go up.
  • It will balance out, small sample sizes can go crazy far one way or the other. Stick with it and you’ll be good. You’ll have good runs and bad runs. I’ve got some stats and mod info listed on https://www.shatteredorder.com/mods along with some slicing strategy videos on our YT channel, either of those you find useful. Good luck in your search for the god mods!
  • Update. 6 out of 35 slices. It has improved a bit now.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Ravifer wrote: »
    Update. 6 out of 35 slices. It has improved a bit now.

Why are you slicing all those mods you're not sure you'll keep? Farm more instead, if it rolls more than once in the stat you want, then consider slicing. I've gotten so many speedy mods that way