Eliminate timer in Grand Arena?

ArthurDent
20 posts Member
edited March 2019
I thought I saw somebody else post this a while ago (can't find it now), but it finally hit me today as a great idea and I'm wondering if other people feel similarly.

Grand Arena is all about full roster utilization, including spur-of-the-moment teams you haven't tried before. And using them against defense teams you might not have seen either. It seems reasonable that you'd need more time to think through your moves during each battle. Squad Arena has a 5 minute limit so you can't lock yourself up and prevent other people from attacking you, which doesn't apply here.

Any reason at all why GA battles should be timed? What have I missed?

EDIT: might be stating the obvious, but yes I'm in a tough matchup right now and having an aneurysm trying to plan one attack. I think it's a lost cause, unless one Hail Mary team can knock out a few of them, but I'm dreading the fight because I'll have to think too hard about each move to make it work.

Replies

• Strubz
    429 posts Member
    Options
    No. Grand arena is about being the best and that means dealing with the clock. Setting time out teams is a legit strategy. You need to plan your battles a head of time. The clock is necessary.
  • Docx
    94 posts Member
    Options
    I think grand arena should encompass everything, time, mods, gear, zetas, and yup.... knowledge.
  • Options
    I agree with no timer.
  • Options
    Hi Strubz! Not sure I understand your response. If you're saying you prefer it to be the same as other PVP areas because you just have more fun that way, that's a fine perspective and I respect it. But I'm not sold by the actual things you said: it's a 'legit strategy' only because the timer exists, which is the thing I'm asking about, and I don't know what you mean by 'the best' because all we have as a definition of 'best' is just whoever wins according to the rules, and again the rules are what I'm asking about. I do plan my battles ahead of time, how else could you even play the game? Why do you say the clock is 'necessary'?

Not that I expect anything to change (there's always hope), I'm just interested in how people think.

PS: My Hail Mary strategy worked, shockingly. But it was a rush job and I wish I could've savored it.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I agree with no timer.

I still think there should be a timer, but potentially a longer one. If it's taking you more than 10 minutes to take down a team you really don't deserve to say you killed that team. Any team that can survive that long under AI control is better built, modded and composed than the team you brought in to kill it.

Also if the timer was completely removed there wouldn't be any way to end a battle with someone on the other team defeated unless they end up killing your last toon. This tends to give a lot of teams extra TM to start the next battle which is usually unwanted and would make it harder for people to use multiple teams to take out one team than it would had they just timed out.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Strubz wrote: »
    No. Grand arena is about being the best and that means dealing with the clock. Setting time out teams is a legit strategy. You need to plan your battles a head of time. The clock is necessary.
    I literally plan out the opening event sequence before committing a squad. Being around 100-300k squad GP down on most of my opponents I have no room for error.
  • Options
    The intentional-timeout-after-death thing is a good point, I had forgotten that I've needed it against an NS team. It didn't feel good to use that strategy, but I also don't like NS, so it kinda balanced out in my head at the time.
  • Strubz
    429 posts Member
    Options
    Grand arena is advertised as an arena to prove who is the best at PvP in this game.

All PvP areas in this game were designed specifically with the clock in mind. All PvP in this game uses the clock.

Logically then, if you want to prove you are the best at PvP which again is the purpose of Grand Arena, then you need to win your battles within the 5 minute timeframe.
  • Options
    ArthurDent wrote: »
    I thought I saw somebody else post this a while ago (can't find it now), but it finally hit me today as a great idea and I'm wondering if other people feel similarly.

Grand Arena is all about full roster utilization, including spur-of-the-moment teams you haven't tried before. And using them against defense teams you might not have seen either. It seems reasonable that you'd need more time to think through your moves during each battle. Squad Arena has a 5 minute limit so you can't lock yourself up and prevent other people from attacking you, which doesn't apply here.

Any reason at all why GA battles should be timed? What have I missed?

EDIT: might be stating the obvious, but yes I'm in a tough matchup right now and having an aneurysm trying to plan one attack. I think it's a lost cause, unless one Hail Mary team can knock out a few of them, but I'm dreading the fight because I'll have to think too hard about each move to make it work.

No, because there are times u can use the timeout strategy to ur advantage in both defense and offense. Gk zariss works as a timeout defending team, ipd nuke and timeout works as well when dealing with revan teams to stop jolee from reviving them
  • Options
    Try using nest against a cls squad, only then you will learn the importance of a timer.
  • Night2
    23 posts Member
    Options
    Timer in battles it's there for one good reason. It's stop players spoiling game. It is good for arena because if you engage in battle in arena you lock yourself and your opponent in that battle. Just imagine if you don't have timer and player in first spot attacking player on second spot and for some unknown reason and he stay in the battle for one or two hours so nobody can attack him in this time. He will effectively stay on first spot indefinitely and in same time lock other player in not able to fight anyone. They could remove timer in GA but I think for legacy and other reasons they keep same system as in regular arena.