Young Lando clarification and viability? Is he good, or not?

jayjonbeach
697 posts Member
edited March 2019
Okay so when he first landed I pretty much dismissed him like many, but now taking another look. That damage is HUGE, especially if you add in all the potential bonuses, yet I see many saying he is junk, though not sure why, and not sure they were actually using him.

It might be the 14 turn cooldown, and here is the question as I think I did NOT interpret this correctly originally, it would seem anytime ANYONE takes a turn there is a chance for that to reduce, correct?
At the end of each turn, there is a 50% chance for each debuffed enemy to reduce the cooldown of this ability by 1.

So, there will be potentially 9 turns after his assuming full squads, if each enemy is debuffed that is 45 chances for it to reduce by 1, say you hit the 50% that means it would reduce by 22 more than enough to keep using it over and over again! (assuming you have the other team all debuffed of course)

Is that the correct interpretation? Anyone having success with him anywhere?

Replies

• Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I think it’s acrually better than that. 50% per debuffed enemy. So if the entire team is debuffed that’s a 97% chance to reduce the cooldown. I think it can even happen multiple times a turn maybe?

And not only does he hit like a truck, but he can keep Chewie stealthed, which means he can’t be targeted and can continually revive your team.
    Post edited by Bulldog1205 on
  • I think it’s acrually better than that. 50% per debuffed enemy. So if the entire team is debuffed that’s a 97% chance to reduce the cooldown. I think it can even happen multiple times a turn maybe?

And not only does he hit like a truck, but he can keep Chewie stealthed, which means he can’t be targeted and can continually revive your team.

Well the way I read it, is that anytime anyone takes a turn, the Algo will look at EACH enemy separately, and roll dice for each one that is debuffed. So each turn it could reduce FIVE if the dice hit, let's say 4 toons debuffed that is an average reduction of 2 per turn. There will be 9 turns after his assuming no deaths yet, that is a reduction of 18, meaning he will use his special again!

• I think it’s acrually better than that. 50% per debuffed enemy. So if the entire team is debuffed that’s a 97% chance to reduce the cooldown. I think it can even happen multiple times a turn maybe?

Well the way I read it, is that anytime anyone takes a turn, the Algo will look at EACH enemy separately, and roll dice for each one that is debuffed. So each turn it could reduce FIVE if the dice hit, let's say 4 toons debuffed that is an average reduction of 2 per turn. There will be 9 turns after his assuming no deaths yet, that is a reduction of 18, meaning he will use his special again!

I misread your statement the first time. I believe you are correct.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    According to swgoh.gg, Hot Hand has the highest base damage of any ability in the game.

I haven't messed with him on the ground yet - just got him to gear 9 or so to make his ship semi-usable. I do look forward to experimenting with him though.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Tbirds01
    1235 posts Member
    Yes, I’ve wondered this too. He hasn’t gotten good reviews, and he hasn’t been talked about much besides his ship. I’ve wanted to use him, not sure where though. @VonZant or @Killbot5000, could you scoundrel masters shed light on this well dressed smuggler?
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Most people I hear says he has good damage.

Thing is, that's all he really brings. Sure, there is the stealth, ability block, and potency down, but they simply aren't enough to compete in arena, and their are better (and more survivable) raid options (look at yolo). The team that surrounds him don't make up for the lack of utility

So while he's not trash and will outperform a decent chunk of attackers, he's often considered not worth investing in because he never was the best at anything
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    I just posted a little on him in another thread:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/197577/why-does-young-landos-special-have-a-14-turn-cooldown#latest

Also in that thread @crzydroid posted some math on his cool down and damage. I would trust it because hes good at mathy stuff.

Without repeating the other thread, He is good damage and useful on offense. Can hit 60k+ damage. AI cant use his abilities properly so I would not use him on D.

And since an arena-viable and TW defense Qira team is not best with him, I use him on offense with other scoundrels. (Although he works great with the Solo team on O, most don't use them that way). And he works perfect with the Vets because all of the debuffs they throw really reduces his cooldown.

Clone Chewie or Storm Han or OG Lando lead + Yando, Yolo, Both Vets. Use Yando to spread prepared to all of the attackers. The Vets can't use it, but when Yolo uses his last special they get CD up. Also Yolo assists them and more prepared spread around increases Yandos damage. Yolo is kinda a healer and the vets have high health steal and are hard to kill under Clone Chewie lead. I use them a lot in GA to cleanup injured teams or take out most B teams. Have also replaced Yolo with Captain Han or a second tank. Yando can keep Captain Han stealthed.

So he is good but not great. BUT his ship is GREAT. Can nuke any ship or kill 2-3 damaged ships if brought in as 3rd reinforce. Should be on any bench IMHO. Has turned many battles for me. He and Cassian can still get me top 20 even though I dont have Falcon.

Given that he is on a cheap double node, I think he is worth the farm. I have him at g10 and he works fine for me off the bench.
  • Tbirds01 wrote: »
    Yes, I’ve wondered this too. He hasn’t gotten good reviews, and he hasn’t been talked about much besides his ship. I’ve wanted to use him, not sure where though. @VonZant or @Killbot5000, could you scoundrel masters shed light on this well dressed smuggler?

I never bothered to take him above 5* and gear 7. I can't give any honest input.
  • Thanks all. It does seem many are just not using him other than for the ship, I could hardly find anyone talking about him in searching the net, I did find that thread you pointed out thanks VonZant for that and your in depth comment.

I definitely misunderstood the cooldown originally, and the crzydroid comment seems to confirm the correct interpretation and what I suspected this time around, that as long as 3-4 toons are debuffed you can use his special every turn, except when you need to use the stealth.

The thing that is pushing me to look at him again is the ship and the fact that I am gearing/farming L3 as she is such a good tank for the Scoundrels. However, on top of the biggest base dmg attack in the game that can potentially be used every turn, I also can't overlook the fact that Bulldog points out, he could keep a Vandor stealthed and make a killa Scoundrel team near impossible to defeat esp against a team with no dispeller. So the already brick wall of something like: Qi'ra, Vandor, L3, Zaalbar, Nest on defense, could have Zaalbar subbed out and Yando put in so they can't target Vandor, good luck to the opponents....
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    He does not work well on D sadly. Makes the team weaker. AI just can't use him properly. Works great with that team under your control though.
  • VonZant wrote: »
    He does not work well on D sadly. Makes the team weaker. AI just can't use him properly. Works great with that team under your control though.

Oh sheeet, I forgot about you saying that thanks for the reminder. A shame AI is lazily designed or just plain bad (looking at you Asajj, and 100 others...) for so many toons

• Jarvind wrote: »
    According to swgoh.gg, Hot Hand has the highest base damage of any ability in the game.

I haven't messed with him on the ground yet - just got him to gear 9 or so to make his ship semi-usable.

Wow! I've been using him wrong. I hadn't looked at his attacks' base damage. I had assumed tje +25% for each prepared ally would make his basic stronger than Hot Hand, but it doesn't. I've also been using him as more of a support character to pass prepared and give everyone speed up. Now I know!

My prepared squad is gear 9, too. I'm hoping to get them to 12 after I finish the 10 bounty hunters.
  • Mine G12 at the moment only ever use him in that smuggler event for mod salvage. Probably not using him properly but his big attack seems fairly underwhelming
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Mine G12 at the moment only ever use him in that smuggler event for mod salvage. Probably not using him properly but his big attack seems fairly underwhelming

Ouch. Do you use his ship?
  • VonZant wrote: »
    Mine G12 at the moment only ever use him in that smuggler event for mod salvage. Probably not using him properly but his big attack seems fairly underwhelming

Ouch. Do you use his ship?

Yeah I did him up soley for his ship which is amazing
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    It seems worth noting that between being non-counterable on his basic and being able to give out stealth, he should work reasonably well on a HSTR phase 2 team.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• He's good, I have him at G12 and zeta'd.

He hits hard, dispell and stealth an ally, passing prepared, getting prepared quite often, has a great ship.

Running him an an attacking team in TW.GA.
  • jayjonbeach
    697 posts Member
    edited March 2019

@Boba_The_Fetter Are you using under Qi'ra lead, Crit dmg mod set with crti dmg triangle and buffed and prepared when doing special? I also like using big damagers under Fett or Greedo lead for the xtra crit dmg

I mean he is no YoungHan in HAAT or Asajj, but he can land 60K crits which ain't too shabby.

CrzyDroid posted some numbers in the thread VonZant linked above, and the nice thing is against a debuffed team that special could potentially be used every turn:

If you give him a CD set with 6* square and 6* offense primary cross and CD triangle, with all bonuses from himself and Qi'ra, about 53,070 pre-mitigation or 73,481 pre-mitigation if he has Offense Up. Depending on armor and his armor penetration, that could be 37k-45k without Offense Up or 51k-62k with. Those aren't bad crits.
  • Mine G12 at the moment only ever use him in that smuggler event for mod salvage. Probably not using him properly but his big attack seems fairly underwhelming

@Boba_The_Fetter Are you using under Qi'ra lead, Crit dmg mod set with crti dmg triangle and buffed and prepared when doing special? I also like using big damagers under Fett or Greedo lead for the xtra crit dmg

I mean he is no YoungHan in HAAT or Asajj, but he can land 60K crits which ain't too shabby.

CrzyDroid posted some numbers in the thread VonZant linked above, and the nice thing is against a debuffed team that special could potentially be used every turn:

If you give him a CD set with 6* square and 6* offense primary cross and CD triangle, with all bonuses from himself and Qi'ra, about 53,070 pre-mitigation or 73,481 pre-mitigation if he has Offense Up. Depending on armor and his armor penetration, that could be 37k-45k without Offense Up or 51k-62k with. Those aren't bad crits.

I use him under qira lead for the event. My mods are a crit damage and crit chance set with crit damage triangle all 5* mods. I might be messing up the buff and prepared thing though when I use his special. I'll see next time the event comes around
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Use his special after after young Han uses his 3rd special to give him crit damage up and Qira gives him defense penetration up.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    Since people are quoting me, I'll add that I think I gave him around 200 flat offense from mods as well for those calculations. So obviously there's room to play around a bit based on how you think you could mod him.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Just ran him through GW tonight with the Solo toons because we were talking about him.

His cool down on hot hand is really pretty fast. You can see the message pop up above his head constantly when debuffs are out. Although he CAN hit hard, he needs a perfect storm of buffs and ability use by other toons in a certain order to hit the really high numbers. So the big 60k hit can't really be counted on often. His good (10-20k-ish) constant damage and the spreading of prepared and speed up is his real utility.
  • jayjonbeach
    697 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    VonZant wrote: »
    Just ran him through GW tonight with the Solo toons because we were talking about him.

His cool down on hot hand is really pretty fast. You can see the message pop up above his head constantly when debuffs are out. Although he CAN hit hard, he needs a perfect storm of buffs and ability use by other toons in a certain order to hit the really high numbers. So the big 60k hit can't really be counted on often. His good (10-20k-ish) constant damage and the spreading of prepared and speed up is his real utility.

Thanks for the report VonZant. I was thinking more about this too after my reply to Boba_The_Fetter and his report and suspecting this was the case. I still like the idea of Stealthing Vandor as well though, even if it only works mostly on Offense, but I guess he is not the consistent high DPS toon many people hoped for (hence all the bad comments about him in various places)
  • I use him to keep Vandor stealthed, and it works great for keeping his squad alive against a lot of other squads. (At times sickeningly so.) Plus having all the other scoundrels ready brings in a ton of extra damage. I do not have him zetaed, but I think he will be my next. You can do these things when you're not chasing every meta. (That's what I tell myself to feel better about my weak roster. So shut up.)