DST and Payout Reset

Prev1
@CG_SBCrumb

One of the most appreciated QOL changes you guys made, probably ever, was the ability to allow us to change our arena payout times so they better fit our lives. Unfortunately, when this was implemented, the 2 refreshes we were given were put on a 360 day timer.

This is unfortunate because many of us would like to always have, for example, a 4pm arena payout. Not a payout that is 4pm half the year and 5pm the other half of the year. Our other activities in life, unlike this game, adjust with DST.

The consequence of the 360 day reset implementation is that we cannot keep the same clock time payout regardless of DST. Why? Two reasons. The first is that 360 days is not a full year. If this game lives for several more years, the 5 day gap will make the sync between DST dates get larger and larger each year. The second is that most people wanted this change so badly that they immediately swapped as opposed to waiting until the DST date that the US just had and much of the rest of the world will have in the coming week or so. Therefore, they will always have some non-optimal amount of time in which they are not able to keep their payouts at the same clock time.

I would request that for this year and this year only, that one additional reset be provided so people can be in sync with DST throughout the year. Then going forward, instead of having a counter for your payout resets, that everyone is globally set to 2 resets every January 1.

Thanks!

Replies

• Couldn't agree more.
  • Absolutely. In fact the setup of 2 resets with a 360 day timer is kinda strange upon reflection. How about resets capped at 2, with a cooldown of 180 days? That would make much more sense and allowed us to #1 set payout to our preferred time, then #2 adapt to DST this week, and then in 180 days adapt to the next time change.

Hopefully, some day, this whole daylight savings change goes away and this is all moot.
  • [...]
    The consequence of the 360 day reset implementation is that we cannot keep the same clock time payout regardless of DST. Why? Two reasons. The first is that 360 days is not a full year. If this game lives for several more years, the 5 day gap will make the sync between DST dates get larger and larger each year. [...]

Ehhh? The gap is the other way around.

If you get 2 resets per 360 days, after 72 years you will have gotten 146 opportunities (if you used them all) but there will have been 144 daylight saving changes (if they don't abandon DST, which I hope will happen soon).
  • I also agree with adding more reset timers. Personally I think 3 changes a year or 2 changes every 6 months would be good. This helps people with DST changes but also with their own personal changes. My current job works 12 hour shifts and occasionally I can get switched to nights for 6-9 months. So I used my first reset as soon as the option was there to fit better under my current schedule. Unfortunately I just was moved to nights so I used my second refresh to compensate for the new schedule. So now I am out of resets. I think 2 refreshes for DST and 1-2 refreshes for life changes would be perfect.
  • Why not 5 or 10 per year? As long as it's not every other day, I don't see any way to abuse it. - And if it helps victims of shard chat blocks to find refugue, then at least that's a work-around to a big mess.
  • I know most people in my shard chat aren't gonna change their payout for the time shift. Personally I'm in agreement with them that the rotations are set and it's too much hassle to try and get everyone to move.
  • EdSolo
    411 posts Member
    Two a year is low just from the DST standpoint. You use both just to keep up with the DST. I just used one of mine the other day because of DST. Now, say I go on vacation out of the country for a week or two? I really can't change my payout to match local time because I would be stuck at the new payout time for the next year. I would say a total of four is a good number because that allows for DST and a temporary change due to switching time zones.
  • @CG_SBCrumb Hello. Obviously this is not new to you. I now have to wait 36d to get my po back to when it fits my life.
    While I really appreciate the possibility itself, I would really like you to grant us 1 more change so there won't be any issues with DST - ever.

P.S. yes this is necro, it's intented to be.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Really?
  • Waqui wrote: »

Really?

ya-rly.jpg?w=584&h=388
  • @CG_SBCrumb Hello. Obviously this is not new to you. I now have to wait 36d to get my po back to when it fits my life.
    While I really appreciate the possibility itself, I would really like you to grant us 1 more change so there won't be any issues with DST - ever.

you only have to wait one month, i am screwed for five month because of this stpd limit
    kndlpbx4sc69.png

• I have a problem linked to this.

My account is less than 1 year old. In January when I started, I set the refresh/payout time to what I wanted it to be. In March when we last changed clocks I changed it by 1 hour to reflect that. Today clocks have changed again, and I can't change my times as I've made two changes this year... one way back in March and the other the day I started my account.
  • The OP might have other reason for asking more resets. Citing 360 as reason is kinda fake. 360 is less than 365, it means you will be always off cooldown before you have to change payout time for DST change. Lol
  • Reasonable enough to not be implemented ever :D
  • @CG_SBCrumb

One of the most appreciated QOL changes you guys made, probably ever, was the ability to allow us to change our arena payout times so they better fit our lives. Unfortunately, when this was implemented, the 2 refreshes we were given were put on a 360 day timer.

This is unfortunate because many of us would like to always have, for example, a 4pm arena payout. Not a payout that is 4pm half the year and 5pm the other half of the year. Our other activities in life, unlike this game, adjust with DST.

The consequence of the 360 day reset implementation is that we cannot keep the same clock time payout regardless of DST. Why? Two reasons. The first is that 360 days is not a full year. If this game lives for several more years, the 5 day gap will make the sync between DST dates get larger and larger each year. The second is that most people wanted this change so badly that they immediately swapped as opposed to waiting until the DST date that the US just had and much of the rest of the world will have in the coming week or so. Therefore, they will always have some non-optimal amount of time in which they are not able to keep their payouts at the same clock time.

I would request that for this year and this year only, that one additional reset be provided so people can be in sync with DST throughout the year. Then going forward, instead of having a counter for your payout resets, that everyone is globally set to 2 resets every January 1.

Thanks!

I think you need to review your maths: They've given 2 resets every 360 days which is LESS that a year, not more, meaning that you get a few days grace to make your decision without affecting your next reset.
    As for your 2nd reason, well people knew when changing their time that they'd have just 2 chances per 360 days, so they could've chosen to wait. However they will not "always" have a period of time where they are on non-optimal time, they just need to wait until a DST change to/from to make their next change and they'll from then onwards have 2 chances per 360 days to reset along with those official clock changes.
    I'm not "anti" giving people a one-off 1 extra reset, but it's not a genuine long term issue if you plan your reset
  • Yes. Your math indicates that I'll be fine in about 7 years. Until then I have to suffer through non-optimal time, which is getting smaller every year.
  • I stupidly set the time back an hour instead of forward an hour so I'm now stuck with a payout that is 2 hours earlier than what I want it to be where it is convenient for me. I now need to wait 150 days to change it.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes. Your math indicates that I'll be fine in about 7 years. Until then I have to suffer through non-optimal time, which is getting smaller every year.

Not exactly. They have basically given enough resets to keep your time optimized with DST as long as you don't decide you need to make a 3rd switch in the year. Now 2 happen like clockwork for a lot of the world (not everywhere has DST), which means we either have no spare refreshes to actually change our payout if our lifestyle changes or we can only accomodate that in the spring and the fall when we deal with the time changes as well.

Either way time change and lifestyle change can be combined into one payout change so noone should ever have to deal with suboptimal time for any longer than 360 days, and really should be much less than that.

Now I do agree that we should be given a 3rd payout change so that if we change jobs once a year we have a payout change available to accommodate that without having to cope with the time changes each year.

I just don't agree that there isn't enough to deal solely with time zone changes, and in 36 years, you'll have accumulated enough time to take a 3rd switch in the year wihtout it penalizing you.
  • Well, yes. If they would have implemented that feature at the exact moment of the time change.
    But since they were about that exact same amount I need to wait late (35 +5 days), I have to wait until I can change again.
  • Beeblebrox wrote: »
    @CG_SBCrumb

Thanks!

I think you need to review your maths: They've given 2 resets every 360 days which is LESS that a year, not more, meaning that you get a few days grace to make your decision without affecting your next reset.
    As for your 2nd reason, well people knew when changing their time that they'd have just 2 chances per 360 days, so they could've chosen to wait. However they will not "always" have a period of time where they are on non-optimal time, they just need to wait until a DST change to/from to make their next change and they'll from then onwards have 2 chances per 360 days to reset along with those official clock changes.
    I'm not "anti" giving people a one-off 1 extra reset, but it's not a genuine long term issue if you plan your reset

Didn't read the part where the OP said 360 days is more than a year there is a part were he States 360 days is not a full year .
    You have spent a lot of time giving a opinion as to why you don't agree to things he never stated only to end with that your not against it.

And yes you are right if things work to plan you should be able to get by with 2 every 360 days, but unfortunately life doesn't always go to plan and when we have 2 dst in a year it leaves you with zero room for error.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    I don't get the big deal. I work varying day shifts most of the year, then 2 months of graveyard. DST doesn't even phase me. I still manage just fine without complaining.
  • I'm not quite understanding how "time X" is ideal for some people yet somehow "time X +/- 1 hour" is a complete disaster. Find a time that works with a 1 hour cushion in either direction (really only one direction - but you have to actually plan ahead of time).
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I'm not quite understanding how "time X" is ideal for some people yet somehow "time X +/- 1 hour" is a complete disaster. Find a time that works with a 1 hour cushion in either direction (really only one direction - but you have to actually plan ahead of time).

Work, kids, other stuff. I don't think most of the playerbase is a teenager and out of school at lunchtime.
  • It seems like the OP didn't understand that 360 is better than 365 in this case & not worse.

That said.

I think it might be nice of CG to change the 2 into a 5+ amount.

As someone stated, you might make a mistake & need to correct it.

Or you might be on a vacation in another country.

Heck, maybe 6PM just sucks for you because, like me, 6PM is when your are in transit from work to home.

Letting someone change a few times a year because of Job schedule changes is hardly a bad idea, nor is it an unreasonable request really.

I'm not seeing a huge issue with changing the 2 to a 12 even & give them 1 change a month (Average).

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I'm not quite understanding how "time X" is ideal for some people yet somehow "time X +/- 1 hour" is a complete disaster. Find a time that works with a 1 hour cushion in either direction (really only one direction - but you have to actually plan ahead of time).

Work, kids, other stuff. I don't think most of the playerbase is a teenager and out of school at lunchtime.

But these are the exact reasons why I don't see how you can possibly be certain that any particular time will work for you.
  • PS. Dare to dream but the best option would be to stop having a stupid "Payout hour" where you risk smashing into everyone else in that hour & instead just pay out at Midnight based on the highest rank you managed to achieve in that 24 hour period, whether it was at 4AM or 10PM. Heaven forbid people be allowed to play when they have free time & not during that one single full rush ahead hour each day.

I know, I know, its a crazy QoL suggestion that will never be implemented no matter now much sense it makes.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    PS. Dare to dream but the best option would be to stop having a stupid "Payout hour" where you risk smashing into everyone else in that hour & instead just pay out at Midnight based on the highest rank you managed to achieve in that 24 hour period, whether it was at 4AM or 10PM. Heaven forbid people be allowed to play when they have free time & not during that one single full rush ahead hour each day.

I know, I know, its a crazy QoL suggestion that will never be implemented no matter now much sense it makes.

Yeah, but if 50 different ppl had hit 1st at some point in the day, they would all get max payout. They will argue it would flood the market (read: ppl buy less crystals).
  • CCyrilS wrote: »

But these are the exact reasons why I don't see how you can possibly be certain that any particular time will work for you.

I can't know for sure, but I think most people have their daily routine pretty much worked out.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »

I can't know for sure, but I think most people have their daily routine pretty much worked out.

Must be nice.