TW Guilds Matchmaking/Dropping Players

Prev134
I just talked to a guy in my shard chat that said he is facing a guild that we faced a month or so ago that dropped 6 players to face us, a lower GP guild.

A month later they are facing my shardmate and are down 4 people so they can face him.

In what ways can this be fixed so guilds don’t remove players so they cheaply face undergeared guilds knowing they have maxed toons and mods and Zetas?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• B0baf3tt
    182 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Unbeknownst to some. Not all guilds get 100% participation all the time.
    If your Gp's match it is not their fault your guild mates haven't geared quality toons or have a bunch of half geared level 85 toons. Fat in a roster hurts in such events
  • AndySCovell
    770 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I understand people may be short a guy or two by a player forgetting to join or be MIA. Totally understandable as situations happen.

But in what way is dropping 4-6 players fair?

I’m sure they had 50 accounts to get their raid tickets. And they have been doing this from what I heard for over 2 months.
  • Are they dropping players or are a certain number of players not signing up? There's not much you can do either way unless EA/CG wants to start punishing guilds that don't have 100% participation for every single event; which is highly unlikely.
  • B0baf3tt wrote: »
    Unbeknownst to some. Not all guilds get 100% participation all the time.
    If your Gp's match it is not their fault your guild mates haven't geared quality toons or have a bunch of half geared level 85 toons. Fat in a roster hurts in such events

1 or 2 is understandable...but 4-6?
  • We don’t require our members to sign up for TW if they don’t want. We actually ask them not to if they can’t commit to 4 wins or are busy for that one or whatever. Oftentimes we’ll have more than 4 not join. I doubt they are doing anything malicious
  • Are they dropping players or are a certain number of players not signing up? There's not much you can do either way unless EA/CG wants to start punishing guilds that don't have 100% participation for every single event; which is highly unlikely.

They are purposely not having 4-6 players not sign up every TW. This isn’t a one off or a whoops. This is consistent.
  • Similar people might also complain about their GA matches. GP matches = Fair match. Dont complain about how underdeveloped your whole guild is
  • My guild regularly has 45 of 50 people sign up for TW without us dropping anybody. It’s completely understandable.
    Similar people might also complain about their GA matches. GP matches = Fair match. Dont complain about how underdeveloped your whole guild is

You have no clue. And you don’t get it. Guilds have an average GP. Some
    Players are more developed, some aren’t. I’m okay with that.

When your average GP in a guild is high, you can just have less players and have stronger rosters to be able to beat weaker GP players. So yes it makes a difference if an average GP guild of 4.7 loses some players to face a 4 million guild. More quality, more G12, and likely more mods than the other guild.
  • Those who don't join do not get rewards. What benefit is it to those 4-6 who dont join?
  • My guild regularly has 45 of 50 people sign up for TW without us dropping anybody. It’s completely understandable.

Same here. It's not always the same players but I'm lucky enough to have guild leadership that understands real life happens. All they ask is if you can't meaningfully deploy defense and/or offense, don't sign up. It's not a "tactic", it just happens.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited March 2019
    Are they dropping players or are a certain number of players not signing up? There's not much you can do either way unless EA/CG wants to start punishing guilds that don't have 100% participation for every single event; which is highly unlikely.

They are purposely not having 4-6 players not sign up every TW. This isn’t a one off or a whoops. This is consistent.

You have spoken to them or every other guild they face?

We almost regularly have 1-2 down for busy lives. We have easily been down 4 due to bad timing. It's not the same players, but just a rotation that always seems to work out that way.

Edit to add, some times we even shift players to help out smaller guilds if they lose someone. Yes it leaves us down players but it helps the family.
    Those who don't join do not get rewards. What benefit is it to those 4-6 who dont join?

They are having 44-46 active players. They use alts for tickets and drop them to get easier matchups in TW. That is what is happening. Once TW locks begin, they bring back the alts to get their 600’s.
  • b_square111
    56 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    B0baf3tt wrote: »
    Those who don't join do not get rewards. What benefit is it to those 4-6 who dont join?

They are having 44-46 active players. They use alts for tickets and drop them to get easier matchups in TW. That is what is happening. Once TW locks begin, they bring back the alts to get their 600’s.

You do understand that more than likely noone is getting "dropped" right? They're just not signing up for TW and therefore not being counted in GP totals for the event.

Edit: and also not getting the rewards...
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Are they dropping players or are a certain number of players not signing up? There's not much you can do either way unless EA/CG wants to start punishing guilds that don't have 100% participation for every single event; which is highly unlikely.

You have spoken to them or every other guild they face?

We almost regularly have 1-2 down for busy lives. We have easily been down 4 due to bad timing. It's not the same players, but just a rotation that always seems to work out that way.

We usually have 50 to 50 but sometimes it’s 48 to 48 which means areas have 24 teams a piece. That makes sense and is understandable.

It’s more about the average of the guild than just losing players. If the guild didn’t have a few of the top players able to join let’s say the GP is lower. Since GP is calculated to be even for matchups GP total is counted but not averages.

You may have 44 players that equal 200 million.
    We may have 50 players that equal 200 million.

The averages are different which means the less player guild has a lot more firepower despite having less teams to use. So they have a much more significant chance to win.
  • 44 people going up against 50 people is a disadvantage too. 50 Revan teams is no easy feat not to mention 50 clone teams this war
  • yuuzhanron
    174 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I would think this is all being misunderstood by many of the responses here. I believe what the OP was driving at, is a very real issue with TW. If your guild does not have full participation it can drop the GP significantly. You could be in a top guild with the average player's GP being over 4m, have a few people not sign up, and wind up facing against a guild where the average member's GP is only 3m each. This is an intentional strategy that gets used to guarantee wins. That's how many TW mismatches occur, even though the GP is a fair match. The numbers I provided might be extremes, but it's the idea nevertheless.
    The devs should look at adjusting TW matchmaking to account for the average guild member's GP, not the overall GP of participants.

*Edit- fixed autocorrect typos*
    Post edited by yuuzhanron on
  • yuuzhanron wrote: »
    I would think this is all being misunderstood by many of the responses here. I believe what the OP was driving at, is a very real issue with TW. If your guild does not have full participation it can drop the GP significantly. You could be in a top guild work the average player's GP being over 4m, have a few people not sign up, and wind up having against a good where the average member's GP is only 3m each. This is an intentional strategy that gets used to guarantee wins. That's how many TW mismatches occur, even though the GP is a fair match. The numbers I provided might be extremes, but it's the idea nevertheless.
    The devs should look at adjusting TW matchmaking to account for the average guild member's GP, not the overall GP of participants.

That was exactly what I was getting at! Thank you!
  • Ragnir
    118 posts Member
    This has been an issue for many months now. Intentionally dropping players to get a more favorable matchup is a common tactic. It is also unavoidable, meaning that not every guild gets full participation. It's hard to prove whether its intentional or accidental. I do know of several guilds who use it as a tactic.
  • yuuzhanron wrote: »
    I would think this is all being misunderstood by many of the responses here. I believe what the OP was driving at, is a very real issue with TW. If your guild does not have full participation it can drop the GP significantly. You could be in a top guild work the average player's GP being over 4m, have a few people not sign up, and wind up having against a good where the average member's GP is only 3m each. This is an intentional strategy that gets used to guarantee wins. That's how many TW mismatches occur, even though the GP is a fair match. The numbers I provided might be extremes, but it's the idea nevertheless.

Oh, we know exactly what the OP hints at. What you don't get is, that this strategy makes no sense. At all.
    The accounts not signing up lose rewards, and given the number of Zetas getting awarded, big rewards, at that
    Dropping players for a lower tier means one less Zeta for everyone in a win, no Zetas for the ones who dropped out and the same number of Zetas the participating ones would have gotten on a loss a bracket higher as they are now getting for a win.
    No point to it. At all!

We are currently participating with 44 people, because 6 didn't have time available (and we ask not to join if you can't participate) or didn't want to join for some other reasons.
    Our opposing guild could now possibly think we are dropping players intentionally, if they follow the same strange logic as a lot of people in this thread. But why the hell would anyone do that? You only lose rewards that way.
  • StarSon
    7427 posts Member
    DarkISI wrote: »
    yuuzhanron wrote: »

Oh, we know exactly what the OP hints at. What you don't get is, that this strategy makes no sense. At all.

Not true. If done purposefully, over time you get more rewards, when assuming a 50% win rate without sandbagging versus a 100% win rate with sandbagging. Also, if the players not joining are just ticket alts, it doesn't matter if they get rewards, so the total number of rewards actually goes up.

This does also assume the active GP is above 120M for the third zeta.
  • Kenkenkaden
    170 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Why afraid vs sandbaggers? As long you have a great coordination, solid counter teams and know how to do clean offense..you will win.

• Ragnir
    118 posts Member
    I assumed everyone already knew about tw mismatches and guilds dropping players to get an easy matchup. Its very common when your guild is over 180 mill.
  • PoD
    67 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    This would be hard to police who’s gaming the system vs who’s just more causal about participation. My guild has high 30s or low 40s participating for territory wars. We are usually at 50 members. It’s not intentional in that we do not stop anyone from signing up. Some just don’t want to join and there’s no requirement for them to do so.

For more context, I would call the guild I’m in “active casual”—most players participate in most events but there are few requirements, so some aren’t very active.

Edit: fixed a typo
  • You dont know they are sandbagging or just missing some ppl because they forgot or simply too busy and decide not to join.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    It doesn't really matter whether or not guilds do it on purpose, but it would be rather naive to think guilds wouldn't.
    Adjust the matchmaking so it won't be favourable anymore to play with less than full participation, problem solved.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Some guilds may do it intentionally. Other guilds may just be doing it because some players are too busy to commit to the TW, and signing up would hurt their guild.

I like to go through life assuming positive intent, until I have evidence to the contrary. Unless you speak to people in the opposing guilds, you can't actually know whether they are being malicious or not. So...why assume the worst of people?
  • We usually have 30-35 people participating in TW. We're a semi-casual guild and we don't force players to play when they have more important things to do. There is no intention behind it. In fact it is a disadvantage to have less players than the opposing team, because every player can have only one revan, traya, qui'ra, etc. team.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    jkray622 wrote: »
    Some guilds may do it intentionally. Other guilds may just be doing it because some players are too busy to commit to the TW, and signing up would hurt their guild.

I like to go through life assuming positive intent, until I have evidence to the contrary. Unless you speak to people in the opposing guilds, you can't actually know whether they are being malicious or not. So...why assume the worst of people?

it's not really the intent that's the issue here, even guilds with no ill intent do have a better chance at winning if a couple or more of their players are busy during TW.
    Why enforce full participation if it pays of to go in with less? From a competative, guild effort perspective, one would assume enforcing full participation would be beneficial since it requires more effort and coordination, but it's not.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • We currently have 38/42 joined TW, this is common because we’re a casual guild, despite asking everyone to join people just don’t bother