GA draws and GP tie breaker

Hi

Firstly, I really enjoy GA.

I really like the fact that format is not constant; and excited by rumours of further variation eg 4v4.

The gripes on matchmaking have been well-discussed, and I think heard... so this is not another post about that; I wanted to talk about GP and how interacts with draws.

I had a hard fought war in round 2 of this GA.

My opponent and I both finished on 1541 banners; which I lost.

I lost, as I had lower GP (I was lower in general, and lower for squad)
3.96 vs 3.95 (total)
and
2.39 vs 2.32 (squad)

Have you considered awarding to the underdog? Logic being: they had to fight harder to win the war against someone with a higher GP ie a stronger roster. I don't know how often draws happen; or how big an issue this is (I am sure people would favour changes to auto-deploy and matchmaking) but I thought I would comment.

Just a thought.
Kas

Replies

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Honestly, I think either system has it's weakness and here's why:

If one player knows for certain that a tie will still give them the win, then it's simple for that player (if all they are interested in is winning the match):

Set garbage defense, save all of your best teams for offense. Double clear at max banners each side and you win.

I do like the thought of awarding the "underdog" though, as it would encourage the stronger GP player to set good defensive teams to try to get a win. As the strategy outlined above works better if the higher GP keeps all his good teams for offense, due to the advantage mirror matches or simply higher geared teams.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Honestly, I think either system has it's weakness and here's why:

If one player knows for certain that a tie will still give them the win, then it's simple for that player (if all they are interested in is winning the match):

Set garbage defense, save all of your best teams for offense. Double clear at max banners each side and you win.

I do like the thought of awarding the "underdog" though, as it would encourage the stronger GP player to set good defensive teams to try to get a win. As the strategy outlined above works better if the higher GP keeps all his good teams for offense, due to the advantage mirror matches or simply higher geared teams.

This might actually cause you to lose. If your defensive squads are garbage, your opponent might clear them with undersized teams, getting bonus points.

Due to all the variables, it's very difficult to get a tie. Just try to win.
  • Mucro
    101 posts Member
    I have yet to experience a tie, as there is so much to factor into each individual battle. Doubtly you can "force" a tie based on how you place defenses, or any other means for that matter, so I don't see how it will be abused. And still, you have better chances of either winning or tying if you simply play to win. I like OP's idea, and I agree that logically the underdog had to fight slightly harder to become level with the player with superior GP.