SWGOH Shard Bullying!

Replies

• I think there is two sides to tell on this matter.
    This is a response from the reddit deleted thread of Zaless and explains in more detail another perspective.

"GreenTradition

ROFLMAO.

I had to sign up to Reddit just to reply as Im in the shard chat so here is the truth.

True: he can climb to first with poorly modded Revan which is his only team in his roster;

True: he did contact the shard chat and we agreed to co ordinate and help him by giving him the name of the players he was not to hit and we would not hit him but we did not invite him into chat as we dont want to have 50-100 random people in it just because they can make first for one meta.

The chat is for long term players who help and share info to get better, have some banter but again to repeat we were happy to help him otherwise. This is our chat and not a right to join but be like to help others if we can and we did.

What went wrong? He choose to hit players that he was not supposed to and cost them crystal as they had to refresh on several occasions when a clear path to first was available.

As you can tell by his tone he just go ruder and ruder and started crying and blaming everyone else but himself for his actions.

We helped him for about ten days and his broke the rules 4 of those days; its only been two days that we have not been helping him.

This is the kind of aggro, rude,crying **** we dont want in chat long term and why we dont let anyone in but that does not stop us working together. We have had several symbiotic relationships with players outside of chat with no issues- ok i lie very few issues ;-).

Lesson to learn: dont bite the hand thats feeding you and dont be so selfish and arrogant that you think you can change the rules to suit you over a group of 50 people who have got a system that helps everyone not just you.

In short grow up son ;-)."
  • Zaless
    18 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I think there is two sides to tell on this matter.
    This is a response from the reddit deleted thread of Zaless and explains in more detail another perspective.

"GreenTradition

ROFLMAO.

I had to sign up to Reddit just to reply as Im in the shard chat so here is the truth.

True: he can climb to first with poorly modded Revan which is his only team in his roster;

True: he did contact the shard chat and we agreed to co ordinate and help him by giving him the name of the players he was not to hit and we would not hit him but we did not invite him into chat as we dont want to have 50-100 random people in it just because they can make first for one meta.

The chat is for long term players who help and share info to get better, have some banter but again to repeat we were happy to help him otherwise. This is our chat and not a right to join but be like to help others if we can and we did.

What went wrong? He choose to hit players that he was not supposed to and cost them crystal as they had to refresh on several occasions when a clear path to first was available.

As you can tell by his tone he just go ruder and ruder and started crying and blaming everyone else but himself for his actions.

We helped him for about ten days and his broke the rules 4 of those days; its only been two days that we have not been helping him.

This is the kind of aggro, rude,crying **** we dont want in chat long term and why we dont let anyone in but that does not stop us working together. We have had several symbiotic relationships with players outside of chat with no issues- ok i lie very few issues ;-).

Lesson to learn: dont bite the hand thats feeding you and dont be so selfish and arrogant that you think you can change the rules to suit you over a group of 50 people who have got a system that helps everyone not just you.

From their prospective “help” is not purposely attacking me?How am I meant to know which players to attack and which r not?I know who has po after me because we message to each other so I won’t attack him.I was told by that dude IF POSSIBLE don’t attack such and such.Now that I put this issue on display they make stuff up!In the screen shot it clearly states why they attack me!”We kill all non-shard members to maintain”
  • Fahrius
    620 posts Member
    Arena is supppsed to be just you against everybody. Thats the point of any pvp game.
    If people decide to cooperate with each other to get a better profit, thats their bussiness.
    If they dont want to cooperate with someone that doesnt make it any "bullying" thing as you call it, its the pvp spirit. So, please, stop using that word in this place.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/fahrius/ - Discord - Fahrius#1194
  • Zaless
    18 posts Member
    Fahrius wrote: »
    Arena is supppsed to be just you against everybody. Thats the point of any pvp game.
    If people decide to cooperate with each other to get a better profit, thats their bussiness.
    If they dont want to cooperate with someone that doesnt make it any "bullying" thing as you call it, its the pvp spirit. So, please, stop using that word in this place.

If everyone had the same pay out time,then sure!But when every1 has different then it becomes separate issue!People gang up on me without any sort of benefit for themselves!Couple of dudes dropped on purpose to make sure I don’t enter top 50 even!They sit and monitor my position in the ranks!
  • LynnYoda
    1017 posts Member
    Zaless wrote: »

If everyone had the same pay out time,then sure!But when every1 has different then it becomes separate issue!People gang up on me without any sort of benefit for themselves!Couple of dudes dropped on purpose to make sure I don’t enter top 50 even!They sit and monitor my position in the ranks!

so what exactly do you think posting here is going to do for you?
    nobody here can help you as you have already been told..
    you were offered help and you went against the few rules they asked you to stick to as that would be better for you and for them that you avoided people who had payouts around you, you went against that and hit who you wanted... that was your choice
    so keeping posting here about being bullied by the big bad gang is doing nothing for you except bringing out others to actually tell the truth of what happened and why they are targetting you....
    if you messed with my payout yes i would be targetting you too and yeah i would ask others to help me even if i was not in the chat i would make sure i contacted every other person who has a payout close to mine to target you to, see thats what happens when you p*** people off in the real world.
    as for you not knowing when anyones payout time is that says a lot since its easy enough to go onto swgoh.gg and find the person and check their payout.
    thats exactly what i done before i joined my chat, avoided people with payouts near mine + had an easy climb until i got to the top spots then i had a great battle for months with another guy on my payout time.
    you made your choices its time to live with it, that is until the next meta comes along and you drop right back to 250+ where you have probably been for the past meta's.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member

The "benefit" for themselves is if you decide to stop trying for the top, and they can go back to their normal gameplay.

A couple of comments I'll make here:
    1) A shard chat consists of a bunch of people. Some may just hit you because the shard chat says to. Some may hit you because they target anyone not in the chat. And others may hit you because they told you who to avoid, and you didn't do that. It's not fair or accurate to point to a screenshot from one members and say that behavior is a reflection on them all.
    2) The guy posting from reddit says they told you who to avoid, and you didn't. I'm in a shard chat, and it's considered incredibly rude to hit players within a few hours of their payout. As I climb, I always go through players who already had their payout that day. If I hit someone who hasn't had their payout yet, they have to spend an extra battle that day just to get back to their initial rank.

It sounds like you're causing issues for some of the players, and they don't appreciate it, and this is their way of showing you. Complaining about them on reddit and the forums is not likely going to make them treat you any nicer.

If you want them to leave you alone, I suggest you ask them about everyone's payout at the same time as you, and about 3 hours before and 3 hours after yours. Sometimes the path you take to 1 might be inconvenient - for example, you might have to go 20-14-11-7-3-1 (and spend a refresh) instead of 20-14-9-5-1. But since you find their ganging up on you inconvenient also, it's up to you to decide which is preferable.
  • This is why shard chats are just silly and the pvp area shouldn't be a hand holding hangout.
  • mlb1399
    674 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    My previous post was taken down,but I will repeat it with corrections. So I’m being bullied by my shard.I’ve registed swgoh 2 years ago,but I stop playing.Recently I decided to comeback to this game.Revan came out and I realized I could get higher among the ranks(which increases amount of crystals u can get).I found out that there is a thing as shard chat so I went through the trouble and found my shard leader.I wrote to him asked if I could join the shard chat.He declined.As the game went on I was getting ranked 1 and my pay out time didn’t disturb any1 else’s in the shard.So I wrote to shard leader since I was getting to top 1 can I enter shard chat.(I tried to be as nice as possible)He declines again and said that my mods,character and account are ****.After this the whole shard decided to target me and knock me down on my po time as far as possible.We all know that rewards for getting 1st and 30th are substantial!Guys help!I have been nice, never rude and was willing to follow shard rules.But they just target me for no reason.

The best way to stand up to a bully is by fighting them. Being a wuss and whining to randoms on an Internet forum might be the first sign it’s time to toughen up. At the same time, why do you feel entitled to take first? Sounds like your outmodded, outclassed in all stats that matter. If anything, it sounds like they’re nice by not intentionally knocking you back to 50 for attempting to climb.

If all else fails, you could opt to whale harder and bully them.

• Zaless
    18 posts Member
    LynnYoda wrote: »

you were offered help and you went against the few rules they asked you to stick to as that would be better for you and for them that you avoided people who had payouts around you, you went against that and hit who you wanted... that was your choice
    so keeping posting here about being bullied by the big bad gang is doing nothing for you except bringing out others to actually tell the truth of what happened and why they are targetting you....
    if you messed with my payout yes i would be targetting you too and yeah i would ask others to help me even if i was not in the chat i would make sure i contacted every other person who has a payout close to mine to target you to, see thats what happens when you p*** people off in the real world.
    as for you not knowing when anyones payout time is that says a lot since its easy enough to go onto swgoh.gg and find the person and check their payout.
    thats exactly what i done before i joined my chat, avoided people with payouts near mine + had an easy climb until i got to the top spots then i had a great battle for months with another guy on my payout time.
    you made your choices its time to live with it, that is until the next meta comes along and you drop right back to 250+ where you have probably been for the past meta's.

U make those assumptions based on what?Their words?I’m tired of repeating things over and over again.There is no one with the same po time as me in that chat!I adjusted to make sure that is the case.And I never attacked people who have their po times near me!
  • Zaless
    18 posts Member

mlb1399 wrote: »
    My previous post was taken down,but I will repeat it with corrections. So I’m being bullied by my shard.I’ve registed swgoh 2 years ago,but I stop playing.Recently I decided to comeback to this game.Revan came out and I realized I could get higher among the ranks(which increases amount of crystals u can get).I found out that there is a thing as shard chat so I went through the trouble and found my shard leader.I wrote to him asked if I could join the shard chat.He declined.As the game went on I was getting ranked 1 and my pay out time didn’t disturb any1 else’s in the shard.So I wrote to shard leader since I was getting to top 1 can I enter shard chat.(I tried to be as nice as possible)He declines again and said that my mods,character and account are ****.After this the whole shard decided to target me and knock me down on my po time as far as possible.We all know that rewards for getting 1st and 30th are substantial!Guys help!I have been nice, never rude and was willing to follow shard rules.But they just target me for no reason.

The best way to stand up to a bully is by fighting them. Being a wuss and whining to randoms on an Internet forum might be the first sign it’s time to toughen up. At the same time, why do you feel entitled to take first? Sounds like your outmodded, outclassed in all stats that matter. If anything, it sounds like they’re nice by not intentionally knocking you back to 50 for attempting to climb.

U make your assumptions that I’m being heavily outmoded based on what?Their words?There are facts that it’s not the case!
  • mlb1399
    674 posts Member

U make your assumptions that I’m being heavily outmoded based on what?Their words?There are facts that it’s not the case!

I know one of the people you’re complaining about and I’ve seen the numbers

• Zaless
    18 posts Member

I know one of the people you’re complaining about and I’ve seen the numbers

Those are a handful of people who play the game for 3 years and have 5mil gp.Ofcourse I have worse mods than they do.But my mods allow me to reach top 1 np.
  • LynnYoda
    1017 posts Member

U make those assumptions based on what?Their words?I’m tired of repeating things over and over again.There is no one with the same po time as me in that chat!I adjusted to make sure that is the case.And I never attacked people who have their po times near me!

Nope i can actually see both sides of this + tbh ive seen the screenshots of conversations between you and them, then again yeah 3,4 or 5 different people all saying the exact same thing which is almost the total opposite of what you are saying .... errrmmmm who to believe......
    you keep posting a screenshot of part of a conversation because you know the rest of the conversation shows you in a bad light. in future try posting the full truth and not just your choice of what the truth is.
  • Zaless
    18 posts Member

Nope i can actually see both sides of this + tbh ive seen the screenshots of conversations between you and them, then again yeah 3,4 or 5 different people all saying the exact same thing which is almost the total opposite of what you are saying .... errrmmmm who to believe......
    you keep posting a screenshot of part of a conversation because you know the rest of the conversation shows you in a bad light. in future try posting the full truth and not just your choice of what the truth is.

Then post the whole conversation!Show me where I’m being wrong?They are in the same shard mafia and say the same thing🤔A trustworthy bunch.Show us the whole truth pls messiah!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Let's all keep in mind that bickering about this subject will likely get the thread closed.

Let's try to keep it on the general topic and not make it a "they said" / "they said" post. This is starting to turn into what should just be a private conversation between the people involved and in no way needs to be discussed by the rest of us in the peanut gallery.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    This is why shard chats are just silly and the pvp area shouldn't be a hand holding hangout.

This is a strawman argument - and has an amazing amount of incorrect information for a single sentence.

1) The "PVP area" is not PvP - it's PvAI - and the AI is not good. That's why there are many teams that can climb on offense against Revan, but only Revan holds on defense. He's so ridiculously OP, that the AI can play poorly on defense with Revan and still win most battles. The only thing that makes squad arena "competitive" in any sense is timing - there is no "skill". Great teams on defense lose to mediocre teams all the time.

2) Shard chats are not "hand holding hangouts" (although, that is excellent alliteration) - they are ways to communicate so people can maximize crystal gains - the lifeblood of many other areas of the game.

3) Shard chats are not silly - they are an effective way to enjoy the game (and the arena aspect of it) without having to waste crystals, be on at specific times to avoid getting sniped and in general, improve the QoL for players trying to enjoy playing the game - but who have real lives and can't always be on for an hour straight leading up to their payout.

In general, if I have to be somewhere for an hour+ and do something very specific that requires my time and attention for most of that time, they pay me for it....it's called my job.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    "Entitlement to a ranking position is a falsity..." Yet that's exactly what shard chats enable.

The entire problem with them in a nutshell. OP earned rank #1 by the actual rules & gameplay restrictions of SWGOH, but because OP didn't meet some outside non-affiliated group's ridiculous metric they get punished and pushed farther down than they would normally. It boggles my mind that people, and CG, find this acceptable.

Exactly. So stupid. Change it to a daily points system where points are earned like in GA battles and then give rewards at the end of day during a reset periord. Or something.

It would make CG more money be encouraging real competition.
  • Tanzos
    219 posts Member
    I think there is two sides to tell on this matter.

"GreenTradition

ROFLMAO.

I know this person probably isn't on here but.

As a fully grown adult, I can say that there are a lot better ways to handle the situation if he was causing problems.

1) Actually let him in the chat so you can actually be in touch with him correctly. Then when the meta switches you can remove him if he falls below. You chose to let outsiders in, therefore don't expect them to understand and follow your rules 100% clearly.

2) Give him full warning of the consequences for not following your rules. Which clearly was to have everyone gang up on him during his payout. But only for it for one day and maybe he'll learn his lesson.

3) Treat him like an equal. Treat others how you'd like to be treated. Arena is a one squad game mode. Right now his top squad matches yours, treat him as a top player in the game mode cause he is.

• jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Those are a handful of people who play the game for 3 years and have 5mil gp.Ofcourse I have worse mods than they do.But my mods allow me to reach top 1 np.

Remember that everyone in your shard started playing about the same time you did.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    "Entitlement to a ranking position is a falsity..." Yet that's exactly what shard chats enable.

The entire problem with them in a nutshell. OP earned rank #1 by the actual rules & gameplay restrictions of SWGOH, but because OP didn't meet some outside non-affiliated group's ridiculous metric they get punished and pushed farther down than they would normally.

I would almost be tempted to agree - except that the "ridiculous metric" is simply being respectful of others, not wasting crystals and trying to maximize crystal payouts for as many people as possible. That hardly sounds "ridiculous".

Almost ANYONE can "earn rank #1 by the actual rules and gameplay" - especially now that 90% of the player base has (and apparently run) Revan. So the fact that the OP can make it to #1 doesn't entitle him to anything - in fact, it just supports the point that something other than simply the ability to make it to #1 should help determine payout distribution.

A civil and ordered "taking turns" and respecting other people's payouts seems to work for many shards/players (that which you referred to as a "ridiculous metric"). The only players that seem to take issue with it are those who think that simply because they can beat the #1 team on occasion, they are entitled to stomp on other people payouts and finish #1 whenever they feel like it or whenever it's convenient for them.

IMHO, thinking you can do whatever you want, without regard to others or their payouts and then acting surprised when they retaliate for your self-centered behavior is a "ridiculous metric".

I don’t know if you’ve viewed the posts by his shard members, but this is definitely bullying and I don’t see why you want to justify it.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Okay, so after finishing this thread, I’ve realized that the forum goers are just elementary schoolers. This is sad. It’s a back and forth between some guy feeling cheated and whining, and other guys being petty and personally attacking him. So then he hits back, grabs a number of followers, and so does the other side. This is what shard chats enable, an all out whining fest on the forums. Welcome back to elementary school.
  • mlb1399
    674 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »

The entire problem with them in a nutshell. OP earned rank #1 by the actual rules & gameplay restrictions of SWGOH, but because OP didn't meet some outside non-affiliated group's ridiculous metric they get punished and pushed farther down than they would normally.

I would almost be tempted to agree - except that the "ridiculous metric" is simply being respectful of others, not wasting crystals and trying to maximize crystal payouts for as many people as possible. That hardly sounds "ridiculous".

Almost ANYONE can "earn rank #1 by the actual rules and gameplay" - especially now that 90% of the player base has (and apparently run) Revan. So the fact that the OP can make it to #1 doesn't entitle him to anything - in fact, it just supports the point that something other than simply the ability to make it to #1 should help determine payout distribution.

A civil and ordered "taking turns" and respecting other people's payouts seems to work for many shards/players (that which you referred to as a "ridiculous metric"). The only players that seem to take issue with it are those who think that simply because they can beat the #1 team on occasion, they are entitled to stomp on other people payouts and finish #1 whenever they feel like it or whenever it's convenient for them.

IMHO, thinking you can do whatever you want, without regard to others or their payouts and then acting surprised when they retaliate for your self-centered behavior is a "ridiculous metric".

I don’t know if you’ve viewed the posts by his shard members, but this is definitely bullying and I don’t see why you want to justify it.

There’s a difference between bullying and just not letting someone into a chat. That’s not bullying. Some people just need to grow a pair
  • It's a multiplayer game with a PVP function. People can strategize individually or in groups as they choose.
    Everyone deciding to hit you isn't bullying. Close the app if it's too much to take.
    Not letting you join a chat isn't bullying, it's their chat to do as they choose with.

However if they are saying spiteful, mean or derogatory things, that is bullying in my view.
    I'm not sure I've seen anything cross into this yet unless I've skimmed too fast, but then we don't have the full context of your interaction with them so I don't think that is clear to us either way.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    The main point that dhould be taken out of this regardless of whether or not you agree with the bullying statement:

A competative individual game mode should not allow players to collude or fix games or block others out by locking matches, etc. It should be a true individual game mode. Period.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    VonZant wrote: »
    The main point that dhould be taken out of this regardless of whether or not you agree with the bullying statement:

A competative individual game mode should not allow players to collude or fix games or block others out by locking matches, etc. It should be a true individual game mode. Period.

and guild events like raids should be a cooperative effort, yet you compete against your guild mates in those.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    edited March 2019

While I do agree with this, for whatever reason a lot of games with a PVP element seem to deliberately set up these ladder systems that can be gamed by a few strong players to hold a monopoly over all the good stuff. If I were a real cynic I'd say it's so that players who don't read enough outside resources (forums, discord etc) to understand what's going on will think they can get to the top by spending, and blow a ton of cash before realizing they still can't claim #1.

Anyway, CG doesn't really have much reason to put an end to this practice, so I'm not holding my breath on it going anywhere.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Nihion
    3340 posts Member

There’s a difference between bullying and just not letting someone into a chat. That’s not bullying. Some people just need to grow a pair

“Gg, enjoy the beating!”

Yeah, that’s bullying. It’s just like how people wanted to force people to set defense in GA. By gathering the entire shard to deliberately push him out of quality rewards, it limits his ability to play and grow, so you know, the point of the game. And I don’t care what he supposedly did or how bad it was, these people have no right to say the things they are about him, it’s rude and I see it as bullying. Btw, if you told someone to “grow a pair” in school, you would be considered a bully.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

“Gg, enjoy the beating!”

Yeah, that’s bullying. It’s just like how people wanted to force people to set defense in GA. By gathering the entire shard to deliberately push him out of quality rewards, it limits his ability to play and grow, so you know, the point of the game. And I don’t care what he supposedly did or how bad it was, these people have no right to say the things they are about him, it’s rude and I see it as bullying. Btw, if you told someone to “grow a pair” in school, you would be considered a bully.
    it seems the definition of "bullying" has shifted. One could argue that it's gradually losing it's meaning entirely..
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

“Gg, enjoy the beating!”

it seems the definition of "bullying" has shifted. One could argue that it's gradually losing it's meaning entirely..

True, but what I learned from trustworthy mentors and my schooling, this is bullying.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Jarvind wrote: »

While I do agree with this, for whatever reason a lot of games with a PVP element seem to deliberately set up these ladder systems that can be gamed by a few strong players to hold a monopoly over all the good stuff. If I were a real cynic I'd say it's so that players who don't read enough outside resources (forums, discord etc) to understand what's going on will think they can get to the top by spending, and blow a ton of cash before realizing they still can't claim #1.

Anyway, CG doesn't really have much reason to put an end to this practice, so I'm not holding my breath on it going anywhere.

They have reasons, but no incentive.