SWGOH Shard Bullying!

Replies

• Let me guess, you're in your early 20's and you're used to getting a participation medal for being horrible at something, right?

How long have you been competing for top spots? Let me guess, since the second time Revan came around? Now you feel entitled to a top spot because you got a toon 3 months after everyone else? What planet are you from?

Things I know about you:

1. you have 1.2 mil GP
    2. Nothing else.

Just because you got a flavor of the month squad doesn't mean you get to play in the sandbox with the big boys. If I was on your shard, in the chat, asked to come in, and demanded a top spot, my response would be:

tenor.gif?itemid=10086857
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    Let me guess, you're in your early 20's and you're used to getting a participation medal for being horrible at something, right?

Man, not that you don't have a point, but are you really trotting out this tired "entitled millennial" crap? Even if it were accurate, it'd still make you a bigger tool than OP by a factor of ten.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• mlb1399
    674 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »
    mlb1399 wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    "Entitlement to a ranking position is a falsity..." Yet that's exactly what shard chats enable.

The entire problem with them in a nutshell. OP earned rank #1 by the actual rules & gameplay restrictions of SWGOH, but because OP didn't meet some outside non-affiliated group's ridiculous metric they get punished and pushed farther down than they would normally.

I would almost be tempted to agree - except that the "ridiculous metric" is simply being respectful of others, not wasting crystals and trying to maximize crystal payouts for as many people as possible. That hardly sounds "ridiculous".

Almost ANYONE can "earn rank #1 by the actual rules and gameplay" - especially now that 90% of the player base has (and apparently run) Revan. So the fact that the OP can make it to #1 doesn't entitle him to anything - in fact, it just supports the point that something other than simply the ability to make it to #1 should help determine payout distribution.

A civil and ordered "taking turns" and respecting other people's payouts seems to work for many shards/players (that which you referred to as a "ridiculous metric"). The only players that seem to take issue with it are those who think that simply because they can beat the #1 team on occasion, they are entitled to stomp on other people payouts and finish #1 whenever they feel like it or whenever it's convenient for them.

IMHO, thinking you can do whatever you want, without regard to others or their payouts and then acting surprised when they retaliate for your self-centered behavior is a "ridiculous metric".

I don’t know if you’ve viewed the posts by his shard members, but this is definitely bullying and I don’t see why you want to justify it.

There’s a difference between bullying and just not letting someone into a chat. That’s not bullying. Some people just need to grow a pair

“Gg, enjoy the beating!”

Yeah, that’s bullying. It’s just like how people wanted to force people to set defense in GA. By gathering the entire shard to deliberately push him out of quality rewards, it limits his ability to play and grow, so you know, the point of the game. And I don’t care what he supposedly did or how bad it was, these people have no right to say the things they are about him, it’s rude and I see it as bullying. Btw, if you told someone to “grow a pair” in school, you would be considered a bully.

All I hear is entitlement. If someone can’t handle big mean words on the internet they’re gonna struggle in real life. Sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never harm you.

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    "Entitlement to a ranking position is a falsity..." Yet that's exactly what shard chats enable.

The entire problem with them in a nutshell. OP earned rank #1 by the actual rules & gameplay restrictions of SWGOH, but because OP didn't meet some outside non-affiliated group's ridiculous metric they get punished and pushed farther down than they would normally.

I would almost be tempted to agree - except that the "ridiculous metric" is simply being respectful of others, not wasting crystals and trying to maximize crystal payouts for as many people as possible. That hardly sounds "ridiculous".

Almost ANYONE can "earn rank #1 by the actual rules and gameplay" - especially now that 90% of the player base has (and apparently run) Revan. So the fact that the OP can make it to #1 doesn't entitle him to anything - in fact, it just supports the point that something other than simply the ability to make it to #1 should help determine payout distribution.

A civil and ordered "taking turns" and respecting other people's payouts seems to work for many shards/players (that which you referred to as a "ridiculous metric"). The only players that seem to take issue with it are those who think that simply because they can beat the #1 team on occasion, they are entitled to stomp on other people payouts and finish #1 whenever they feel like it or whenever it's convenient for them.

IMHO, thinking you can do whatever you want, without regard to others or their payouts and then acting surprised when they retaliate for your self-centered behavior is a "ridiculous metric".

I don’t know if you’ve viewed the posts by his shard members, but this is definitely bullying and I don’t see why you want to justify it.

Wow. Did you even read the comment you quoted? Or just build that strawman without even looking? :D

I was responding to the specific points made by the post I quoted. Honestly, I am avoiding getting into the "he said/he said" silliness of the specifics of the OP's situation, because there have been numerous conflicting versions - including several "omissions" by both sides.

I am not trying to "justify bullying". Reread my post. Honestly, I am not even sure how you came up with that from what I typed and who I was responding to.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member

There’s a difference between bullying and just not letting someone into a chat. That’s not bullying. Some people just need to grow a pair

“Gg, enjoy the beating!”

Yeah, that’s bullying. It’s just like how people wanted to force people to set defense in GA. By gathering the entire shard to deliberately push him out of quality rewards, it limits his ability to play and grow, so you know, the point of the game. And I don’t care what he supposedly did or how bad it was, these people have no right to say the things they are about him, it’s rude and I see it as bullying. Btw, if you told someone to “grow a pair” in school, you would be considered a bully.

All I hear is entitlement. If someone can’t handle big mean words on the internet they’re gonna struggle in real life. Sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never harm you.

43% of kids have been bullied online. Just because you can handle big mean words, it doesn’t mean that other people can. I know I’m bringing this discussion to a dark place, but your insults through a game or on the internet can lead to depression and suicide for others. Just saying, everything you say has a consequence.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

“Gg, enjoy the beating!”

43% of kids have been bullied online. Just because you can handle big mean words, it doesn’t mean that other people can. I know I’m bringing this discussion to a dark place, but your insults through a game or on the internet can lead to depression and suicide for others. Just saying, everything you say has a consequence.

maybe it's time to start teaching "our" kids how to deal with mean words instead of trying to shelter them from hearing them. Just a thought.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member

Wow. Did you even read the comment you quoted? Or just build that strawman without even looking? :D

I was responding to the specific points made by the post I quoted. Honestly, I am avoiding getting into the "he said/he said" silliness of the specifics of the OP's situation, because there have been numerous conflicting versions - including several "omissions" by both sides.

I am not trying to "justify bullying". Reread my post. Honestly, I am not even sure how you came up with that from what I typed and who I was responding to.

I mean, you are justifying what his shard is doing...
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

“Gg, enjoy the beating!”

maybe it's time to start teaching "our" kids how to deal with mean words instead of trying to shelter them from hearing them. Just a thought.

If I could rework the education material around the world, I would. Hopefully not as poorly as GG was reworked.

The problem is that the damage has already been done, and attempting to shield children from things online is also nearly impossible.
  • VonZant wrote: »

The entire problem with them in a nutshell. OP earned rank #1 by the actual rules & gameplay restrictions of SWGOH, but because OP didn't meet some outside non-affiliated group's ridiculous metric they get punished and pushed farther down than they would normally. It boggles my mind that people, and CG, find this acceptable.

Exactly. So stupid. Change it to a daily points system where points are earned like in GA battles and then give rewards at the end of day during a reset periord. Or something.

It would make CG more money be encouraging real competition.

As someone who has been in a shard chat for years, they tend to work pretty well. Yes, some people struggle to get in, but that is generally because their roster contains only the 1 meta team, or their PO is the same as 4+ individuals in the chat. Our chat has nearly 40 people in it (grown a lot with the second revan). We generally target individuals not in the chat for our climbs because why would we hit our friends if we can avoid it? If someone is constantly causing problems then they may be put on a hitlist, but if that person is reasonable and contacts us we always work with them. Now, if they reach out, attack, and then keep hitting us during our PO anyway or are targeting certain individuals, they can get put on a permanent hit list. Anyways.. if you make the adjustment with Darth Revan and can still make top 5, then you can likely earn a spot.. but it'll take a lot of apologizing from what it sounds like.

We are all people trying to play a game. Just "reset" the conversation and ask to work past the differences.

I love the idea listed above though about it being a points system.. I would imagine it would actually create more activity in the game, but may screw with the systems. CG gets value from having us log in throughout the day to complete something instead of it all being at once. That's why the arenas are at different times, multiple energy refreshes, TW, TB, and GA are all on different schedules. It keeps us coming back to the game and spending as much time on it as possible, which is where the value lies.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

I mean, you are justifying what his shard is doing...

No, I'm not. You still haven't actually read my post, have you?

I am justifying the existence of shard chats. I have also suggested that if you stomp on other people's payouts and disregard others, don't expect them to help you in return.

A book I read says "Do on to others as you would have them do on to you." In this situation, that seems to suggest that if you want others to respect your payouts and not be mean to you, then extend that same courtesy. It's really not that difficult - even less so when people are honest.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • mlb1399
    674 posts Member

“Gg, enjoy the beating!”

Lack of parenting, lack of self esteem, the sissification of the US is what leads to those things. Not words.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member

“Gg, enjoy the beating!”

Lack of parenting, lack of self esteem, the sissification of the US is what leads to those things. Not words.

But that’s where your wrong. Words definitely contribute.
  • Jarvind wrote: »
    Let me guess, you're in your early 20's and you're used to getting a participation medal for being horrible at something, right?

Man, not that you don't have a point, but are you really trotting out this tired "entitled millennial" crap? Even if it were accurate, it'd still make you a bigger tool than OP by a factor of ten.

I like low hanging fruit sometimes lol.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    VonZant wrote: »
    The main point that dhould be taken out of this regardless of whether or not you agree with the bullying statement:

A competative individual game mode should not allow players to collude or fix games or block others out by locking matches, etc. It should be a true individual game mode. Period.

and guild events like raids should be a cooperative effort, yet you compete against your guild mates in those.

But if someone wants to build the exact same teams as me and get the same scores, I can't collude with 2 other guild mates to stop them from posting a certain score.

And as far as incentive, its possible I'm wrong and they have metrics saying otherwise, but I dont think so: making the top spot available to more people spreads out the crystal and would force more people to spend - especially the whales that would spend anyway. If they have less of a crystal bank they will spend more.

In other words - having a larger middle class increases spending by more people to reach for the brass ring. Having few people able to artificially hold onto the top spots encourgages hoarding. IMHO.

Dang - time for me to leave the thread. I almost got political there. ;)

• Jarvind wrote: »

to be honest,he sounds entitled.
    DOing that here and reddit is the best way of looking like one
  • mlb1399 wrote: »

“Gg, enjoy the beating!”

Lack of parenting, lack of education, lack of self-esteem... actually that's what leads to people who feel the need to harrass strangers on the internet at all. Using words to harrass or hurt people on purpose is nothing but disgraceful. You never know the individual behind the virtual reality and everyone has a different level of sensitivity. Smart people keep that in mind and treat others the way they want to be treated themselves. When I grew up, something like that was self-evident...

• Nihion wrote: »

“Gg, enjoy the beating!”

it seems the definition of "bullying" has shifted. One could argue that it's gradually losing it's meaning entirely..

True, but what I learned from trustworthy mentors and my schooling, this is bullying.

bul·ly1
    /ˈbo͝olē/Submit

Learn to pronounce
    verb
    gerund or present participle: bullying

seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable).

Thats the definition of it
  • Eonixx
    62 posts Member
    I can't read the 80 or so posts, but this just show how important is the matter.

Problem is, devs, gamechangers and other "important" players already stated they are part of said chats...we will NEVER see a solution to this, and it's kinda sad if you ask me.

As for me, I am happy with my 20-50 or 50-100 regular arena reward and do my best on my fleet one, where there is no shard chat. The game is still fun for me, despite shard chats being a real annoyance in many cases (not always tho).
  • One idea would be to hide people's names and profile information in arena. It doesn't completely kill the problem, but does make shard chats more difficult to make work.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    CadoaBane wrote: »

“Gg, enjoy the beating!”

Lack of parenting, lack of education, lack of self-esteem... actually that's what leads to people who feel the need to harrass strangers on the internet at all. Using words to harrass or hurt people on purpose is nothing but disgraceful. You never know the individual behind the virtual reality and everyone has a different level of sensitivity. Smart people keep that in mind and treat others the way they want to be treated themselves. When I grew up, something like that was self-evident...

"smart people" lmao
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • mlb1399 wrote: »

“Gg, enjoy the beating!”

Ah, thank you for your expert and well-considered opinion. Please, step into the White House and tell us about how you figured out all of the world's ills from your armchair.

Don't make sweeping generalisations based on your own random musings. You quite frankly don't know what you're talking about.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • CosmicJ
    348 posts Member
    Garbage attitudes by your shard chat above. Running a shard chat that way is not even in their best interest.

Sadly (and strangely) some people get enjoyment out of abusing any semblance of power they get.
  • leef wrote: »

“Gg, enjoy the beating!”

Ya show them how to deal with it instead of just running away
    This is... SPARTAAAAAAA
  • JediMindTricks
    1077 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    It actually blows my mind that on a 3.5 year old game there are people that still have never heard of shard chats.

• Kyno wrote: »
    CHFC22 wrote: »
    These posts always get taken down. It was the subject matter, not the content. It's ridiculous.

That's not true. Posts that violate the Forum Guidelines are removed.

Posts of this content are left open as long as they will remain civil, which is not always the case, but in instances like that they are just closed, not removed.

I'm assuming the reason the thread was taken down, was because people were "named and shamed". That said, why couldn't a mod have edited out the "naming and shaming" and leave the rest of the thread? There was some decent advice given in that thread to people who aren't able to break through shard chats, but the baby got thrown out with the bathwater.
  • Amrael wrote: »
    Why would the rest of his roster matter if he has a team that can take 1st? Also, he already stated his payout is at a time that doesn't disrupt anyone. I had the same issue. I wasn't allowed in and was targeted. I moved my payout to a time that was not busy and no one from the shard chat had, and they left me alone. I don't understand targeting people when they pose no threat, especially if they don't have a great team. It is one more easy team to beat when you make your climb.

So I can enlighten you as to why chats defend the top 10 against non-members even if no one has a payout during a specific hour.

It's a numbers game. In shards with large chats (20+ members), they are already sharing most payouts during the day. They are all queued up waiting to move forward. Anyone outside person that climbs is hitting those chat members back and potentially costing them crystals by forcing them to refresh. No one wants to spend additional crystals, even if it's only 50. Therefore, its better to discourage climbing by defending the top 10 against all non-chat members. If those people are crystal starved, normally they give up and stop climbing. If they are allowed to climb without resistance, then they will continue to do so.

• Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    What is a shard chat?
  • Nihion wrote: »
    Amrael wrote: »
    Why would the rest of his roster matter if he has a team that can take 1st? Also, he already stated his payout is at a time that doesn't disrupt anyone. I had the same issue. I wasn't allowed in and was targeted. I moved my payout to a time that was not busy and no one from the shard chat had, and they left me alone. I don't understand targeting people when they pose no threat, especially if they don't have a great team. It is one more easy team to beat when you make your climb.

This. Especially if his/her payout isn't a busy one, excluding him/her from the chat is uncalled-for and deliberately targeting him/her is toxic.

As the founder of a shard chat I think they can do wonders for everyone's QoL and shard chats are not the issue. Toxic gamers are.

Eliminate shard chats, eliminate toxic people taking toxic approaches to the game. Although it’s probably too late, once word got out about deletion of chats, I’m sure phone numbers would be passed around. But it’s true that shard chats enable bad people to do mean things. Getting rid of shard chats would be an easier fix than getting rid of bad people.

How are people in shard chats bad people doing bad things?

They are merely playing the game.
  • I heard others in my shard were not getting into their shard chat. I instead tried a different tactic.
    I contacted the shard leader for a list of the POs they knew of. He obliged.
    I started my own shard chat and invited everyone, the shard mafia included.
    About 20 people turned up, but we had PO times for about 50 people.
    The strategy was not to collude to synchronise 1st place, but to educate everyone on the pointlessness of hitting someone in your PO, or PO+1, when there was no increase in payout potential. Basically only be hit you PO in the top10.
    It worked for those involved. It was a good balance of competitiveness and fairness.
    Everyone is entitled to hit 1st place if you can.
  • Tanzos wrote: »
    The OP didn't get a "Free Pass" to #1, he earned and geared his Revan team to climb to #1. He EARNED it.
    OP earned rank #1 by the actual rules & gameplay restrictions of SWGOH

If the OP had earned #1, then he would be getting #1. Gearing a team is no guarantee that you are getting one.

If shard chats didn't exist, it's likely he still wouldn't get one because people would be hitting back climbers at all times in order to discourage them.