A comment on the Clone Trooper discussion

Stenun
851 posts Member
edited March 2019
This isn't a thread about the Clone Trooper Territory War bonuses. There are already lots of threads about that so if that's what you want to talk about, you should find many other alternatives. What I want to talk about here is the way in which the conversation is going.

There seems to be two arguments that crop up a lot:
1) These bonuses have made Clone Troopers too powerful and I can't do it, please nerf these bonuses.
2) I can do it therefore it's fine.
These are both arguments based on what is best for the person posting and not with consideration for how other players are finding things.

However, having said that, there is a third argument that crops up which, to my mind, DOES have validity in regards to the game as a whole:
3) It shouldn't take 10+ teams to defeat one Clone Trooper team.
This, I think, is valid. Because unless you are going in with absolutely rotten characters, it shouldn't take 10+ teams to defeat any team. Revan can be done with 3 or 4 other strong teams at the most. Traya, too. Same with Threepio and his friends.

And this is the point which I have yet to see a good counter-argument for.
Sure, arguments 1 and 2 above are about personal experiences and personal Inventories and we can argue about them all day long. But if you are seeing your opponents spend a dozen teams and still fail to defeat your Clone Troopers, or if your opponent has a Clone Trooper squad in defence and your guild takes many attempts to defeat them despite you knowing that your guild is good, that isn't just about one person any more. Suddenly, argument 3 is the important point and everyone seems to be ignoring it.
This is about how the entire game as a whole is dealing with it, about how the community is finding these bonuses. And you can call each individual user's collection "trash" until you're blue in the face, but sooner or later the people using that argument are going to get RSI from repeatedly typing that response. Until people who support these bonuses start to accept that the problems others are having are legitimate and not just because they have "trash", these threads are going to keep appearing and people are going to keep getting angry.

So don't belittle the players who hate these bonuses. Come up with decent arguments about why these bonuses are good because so far I haven't seen any.
The only response I've ever seen to "it shouldn't take that much" is "why not?" which is not an argument, it's a deflection.

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    all 3 arguments are based on personal perspective. If you need 10+ attacks you're doing it wrong.
    Anyway, my clones and my geo's are pretty decent and i can beat both of those teams on offense, but i still don't like these super juiced faction bonusses, regardless of faction.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    all 3 arguments are based on personal perspective.

Not really. Only if you are trying to classify many players all saying they are seeing their own factions and enemy factions all struggling repeatedly as "personal perspective". I would say it isn't and is the start of the accumulation of other evidence.
    "Personal perspective" is "I can't do it". Pointing out that a very strong guild is taking 10+ attempts to defeat these squads is a step beyond that.
  • I like the fact that Clones are useful for something again. And I agree, if they're going to be a regular part of TW, the bonus could be toned down a bit.

You see a lot of discussions focusing on options 1 and 2 because the forums are polarizing and moderate ideas/proposals get largely ignored. Hopefully you'll see some support for the middle ground here.