Carth the Coward

Replies

• Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    CazNeerg wrote: »
    Seems like some people don't realize that Squad Arena isn't the entire game.

But it is. If you can't compete in Squad Arena, then you can't compete in Territory War or Grand Arena. After a while, Territory Battles and Raids become as much of a footnote as Daily Challenges, Omega Battles, Galactic War and Heists. Even Assault Battles become rote, once you've got the requisite characters built.

The PvP aspects are the only parts that present an evolving challenge, and they follow the meta of squad arena. Chase the meta or die.

I'm tired of it, myself. So I'm going to focus on Clone Wars Chewie for a while.

I mean, that's just flat out not true. Before I got Revan I was using a JTR team in arena with good-but-not-great mods, placing in the 200-500 bracket. I still won all my GA matchups and contributed plenty to TW, though.

And while squad arena does depend on having the New Hotness, it also is decided largely by who has the better mods, also known as "pure dumb luck."

This is true.
    Well said.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    EricsonX wrote: »
    I never actually played KOTOR. Is Carth really that annoying? I really like him in this game. :/

Nah, he has some trust issues primarily. Also, same guy who plays Carth also played Kaiden in the Mass Effect games.

Never used Kaiden. Ashley is where its at!
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    I never actually played KOTOR. Is Carth really that annoying? I really like him in this game. :/

Nah, he has some trust issues primarily. Also, same guy who plays Carth also played Kaiden in the Mass Effect games.

Did anyone use Kaiden? Speaking of whiny characters, jeez. I was thrilled to order him to his death.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    CazNeerg wrote: »
    Seems like some people don't realize that Squad Arena isn't the entire game.

But it is. If you can't compete in Squad Arena, then you can't compete in Territory War or Grand Arena. After a while, Territory Battles and Raids become as much of a footnote as Daily Challenges, Omega Battles, Galactic War and Heists. Even Assault Battles become rote, once you've got the requisite characters built.

The PvP aspects are the only parts that present an evolving challenge, and they follow the meta of squad arena. Chase the meta or die.

I'm tired of it, myself. So I'm going to focus on Clone Wars Chewie for a while.

I mean, that's just flat out not true. Before I got Revan I was using a JTR team in arena with good-but-not-great mods, placing in the 200-500 bracket. I still won all my GA matchups and contributed plenty to TW, though.

And while squad arena does depend on having the New Hotness, it also is decided largely by who has the better mods, also known as "pure dumb luck."

Your feelings about what constitutes a competitive Squad Arena bracket clearly differ from mine. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

Did anyone use Kaiden? Speaking of whiny characters, jeez. I was thrilled to order him to his death.

I'm guessing since he was the female romace interest, some limited amount of players saved him.

But I felt bad for the guy. Given the ratio of male players, he had a 95% chance of being sentenced to death no matter what. He never had a chance. Thats worse odds than a Star Trek red shirt.
  • Options

Omg seriously? That's two sidekicks I never cared about and took pleasure in getting rid of ASAP!
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    They have to make money.
    This is how the game goes. New meta, after new meta.

Why is it bad that they want to make some money like they have before?
    They are giving extra time than 1st Jedi Revan event. At least by a week. And, there was more time to farm canderous and Bastilla.

This is different. The game made money before. There wasn't 85%+ usage in the top 50 of any previous meta.

They have gone from creating a game for us to play and support to creating "must have" characters and ships - and there really aren't any choices. One of the key things in any game is meaningful decisions. CG has stripped them away and prescribed what we must farm for the past 18 months.

There have been squad metas before this one - but none was as single character dominant. Not even close. The only meaningful decisions at this point are can you guess right? If not, you're stuck until the 2nd go around. Unless, of course, you want to pay to play.

Unfortunately, most launch players who have financially supported the game in the past - and seen the characters they paid for quickly relegated to the bench by the newest "meta-of-the-quarter" character released have learned the hard way that the only thing you get for supporting the game financially is the expectation that you do it again in 2-3 months.

That's why we lost 3 launch whales in March already in our guild. That's why launch whales are becoming f2p.

No one begrudges CG the chance to make money. It's when making money took precedence over player experience 18 months ago that things went down hill.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • CadoaBane
    563 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    arbennian wrote: »
    Carth never joined with Darth Revan. He wet his pants, cried like a baby, and ran away when you say you want to retake the title Dark Lord of the Sith.
    Back on the actual topic... it's just not true. The quote in the Darth Revan announcement is referring to the Mandalorian Wars. Carth and Juhani were fighting on the side of the Old Republic, while Canderous of course fought on the Mandalorian side. So they all had a connection already prior to the happenings in kotor. They just didn't knew it at the beginning because they had never met Revan in person without wearing his mask back than. I can think of several variations how such an event could be designed if they make some time leaps.
  • CazNeerg
    361 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    On the money issue, prior to the inclusion of characters who were obviously leading to Darth Revan, the only money I ever spent on the game was on the HK-47 pack back around launch time. And once I have DR, I'll likely never spend money again. But I've been like a sailor in port after a six month cruise between the launch of the Canderous/Fallen Bastila Marquee bundles and now.
    But it is. If you can't compete in Squad Arena, then you can't compete in Territory War or Grand Arena.

Can't speak to TW, my guild doesn't have enough actives to launch it. But as far as GA, that's just not true. I win most of my GA matches, and I rarely pop above the 100-200 bracket in SA.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options

I'm guessing since he was the female romace interest, some limited amount of players saved him.

But I felt bad for the guy. Given the ratio of male players, he had a 95% chance of being sentenced to death no matter what. He never had a chance. Thats worse odds than a Star Trek red shirt.

Since Liara was also an option and was objectively less irritating regardless of gender preference, I put that chance closer to 99%.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options

He did a lot of dmg with his dual pistols, but he was definitely a whiny b***h
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Whatever. It's just an obvious attempt to make people panic farm or buy characters they don't really want or need to get the one that will likely take over the meta for the next 6 months.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but this camel's back is getting tired - and that some pretty heavy straw.

I would much prefer they do things like this compared to what most games do. These things are predictable. If you plan ahead well you don’t have to spend money. These types of events are much, much more F2P friendly than events for other similar type characters in other games, where you have 0% chance to get the character if you don’t spend.
  • Options
    There’s more to do than squad arena? It’s been over a year since they added new PvE content, and even raids will soon be simmable. I guess if you’re a new player or in a novice guild there’s things to catch up on, but for everyone else, the game’s been whittled down to just PvP. PvP can’t be won without the uber powerful, broken cash characters like Revan that define the meta.

This is EA we’re talking about, they defined the micro transaction system that has damaged gaming and turned it into gambling. And the players who drop cash on unethical business practices are the ones enabling it. The playerbase rebelled against EA’s Battlefront 2 and they lost 3 billion dollars in stocks over it. But with SWGOH, instead of toning down on the ****, they’ve upped it and nobody seems to bat an eye.

“Don’t do that! But here’s a wheelbarrow of cash for doing that—but don’t do it next time! Aww, stop doing that! Here’s more cash for doing it, but better not next time...”

Meanwhile the game has become a burned out, tired old slot machine. Blame the spenders for encouraging this direction of the game. And blame Disney for allowing the Star Wars franchise to be monopolized by a company notorious for seeing players as dollar bills and who use every marketing and psychological trick in the book to give minimal content for maximum profit.

If you hate the game and the company so much quit playing it. You’re also enabling them by continuing to play :P
  • Options
    Personally I hope that this goes more like a rock, paper, scissors type thing with traya beating darth revan, jkr beating traya and darth revan beating jkr with bunch of other hard/soft counters. There needs to be more diversity in arena. Who knows, maybe bastila will be a soft counter to darth revan.
  • Options
    It confuses me when I see F2P people complaining about the whales, and how the game is garnered towards people being whales. I’m unsure you know how a business even works. This game exists *because* of those whales.
    It’s too hard/impossible for F2P to compete against a whale? No ****, Sherlock. If I were a whale and F2P were beating me or were even my equal: why would I be a whale? This isn’t rocket surgery.
    “EA is ruining games with micro-transactions.” 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 If by that you mean “I refuse to invest in a game I like” then yes, you are correct. If you meant anything else: you are dead wrong. Companies do things to make money because.....drumroll please.....making money is the only reason they do things! 😧

But! Feel free to prove me wrong. Start a business, pay your employees as much as you can without sinking, and cater your product to those unwilling to pay for it. Good luck!
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • Options
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    Carth never joined with Darth Revan. He wet his pants, cried like a baby, and ran away when you say you want to retake the title Dark Lord of the Sith.
    Back on the actual topic... it's just not true. The quote in the Darth Revan announcement is referring to the Mandalorian Wars. Carth and Juhani were fighting on the side of the Old Republic, while Canderous of course fought on the Mandalorian side. So they all had a connection already prior to the happenings in kotor. They just didn't knew it at the beginning because they had never met Revan in person without wearing his mask back than. I can think of several variations how such an event could be designed if they make some time leaps.

Btw, is JKR pre-dark side revan or post dark side revan?
  • Options

You can also kill Juhani at your first meeting with her too, which was the popular thing to do because she wasn't a well liked character. There's not much in the way of story going on in Galaxy of Heroes so you're just going to get era-specific characters in these events.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    It confuses me when I see F2P people complaining about the whales, and how the game is garnered towards people being whales. I’m unsure you know how a business even works. This game exists *because* of those whales.
    It’s too hard/impossible for F2P to compete against a whale? No ****, Sherlock. If I were a whale and F2P were beating me or were even my equal: why would I be a whale? This isn’t rocket surgery.
    “EA is ruining games with micro-transactions.” 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 If by that you mean “I refuse to invest in a game I like” then yes, you are correct. If you meant anything else: you are dead wrong. Companies do things to make money because.....drumroll please.....making money is the only reason they do things! 😧

But! Feel free to prove me wrong. Start a business, pay your employees as much as you can without sinking, and cater your product to those unwilling to pay for it. Good luck!

You make some good points, however most research on the subject indicates that "whales" are actually not the main revenue source for mobile games. It's the daily or semi-daily players that regularly buy $10 or $20 packs.

It makes sense - in any business, you want a broad base of mid-level clients, rather than one or two big spenders. It was a major plot point in Mad Men - 70% of their business was Lucky Strike, and when they lost the account they nearly went under because they didn't have enough revenue to pay their staff.

Point is: catering heavily to whales is actually not a good strategy, long-term.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options

Post-Starforge. He's wearing Starforge robes you get at the end with light side ending.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

You also are making some very big (and incorrect) assumptions about those complaining.

There are many people who were whales, dolphins and guppies who are now f2p.

Most understand the need for CG to make money.

The issue is that for the first 18 or so months of the game's existence, the development team seemed content to make money while at the same time allowing player choices, diversity and a focus on improving the player experience. In the past 18 months or so, profits seem to have become the primary focus, wuth players possibilities for meaningful choices greatly limited and no diversity.

There's a way to do both. CG has moved away from that.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • G20
    132 posts Member
    Options
    I agree. Its a business. People forget that. When you work, do you work for free? Do you expect CG employees to work hard everyday to produce a game you enjoy for free? Smh

• Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options

I mean...I don't really see why this is so "insidious" and "vomit inducing." Nobody starts a business and thinks "I just want to make exactly enough money to survive and spend tons of hours of my life making the perfect game just out of the goodness of my heart."

They think "I want to make as much money off of this as possible because why the hell else would you go to the trouble of running a business."

The only reason microtransactions work in the first place is because people are willing to pay for them. Are you getting mad at game developers for responding to a demand that apparently exists?

It's easy to see an armored truck crash and thumb your nose at people grabbing wads of cash and running away. "Oh, how distasteful." But if you were there? You'd be hauling away as much as you could.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    G20 wrote: »
    I agree. Its a business. People forget that. When you work, do you work for free? Do you expect CG employees to work hard everyday to produce a game you enjoy for free? Smh

None of the above. Stop strawmanning the argument. No one has ever said any of the things you are "syh" at.

There is a way to design a game that is fun to play, engaging, has diverse content and people will still support. I know that because that's what CG did for the first 18 months the game existed.

Was it perfect? Absolutely not. Did they make mistakes? You bet. "Modgate", "prefabgate", etc. There were mistakes - but they were often quickly corrected, honest mistakes that the players were well compensated for (both "gates" mentioned above were handled within a few days). Then, there was at least a sense of collaboration between the development team and the players, the feeling that we were all working together to make a better Star Wars game. One that many of us were happily supporting (financially) because the game play was improving and content was engaging. Game play feedback (not just QOL stuff) was being listened to and implemented.

All of that quickly changed 18 months ago or so. "Make goods" were mediocre at best and profit wasn't part of the equation - it became the single driving force. Oh sure, there were "smoke and mirror" attempts at improved communication - Q&A sessions (that happened once - despite promises of higher frequency). Since that time, contrary to Crumb's constant hum of "we don't won't prescribe how to play" - we have had meta-manipulation in both fleet and squad arena, removing any meaningful decision options by players (beyond "Do I spend on packs or not?"). Basically, despite CG's drone of "we don't want to prescribe how you play", game play has been prescribed.

You either have Traya, Revan, HT and HMF or you can't compete. In arena or TW or GA. Read the guild recruitment threads - many guilds only want people who are certain avg ranks (which are difficult to hit without the four mentioned).

SWGOH went from being a game that made money to a vehicle for CG to make money squeezing money out of people thinking they are playing a game. As a long-time (3+ year) player, 18 months ago, I felt like I was no longer a player - but the one being played. The "game" that exists now is not the same type of game that it was 2 years ago - and not in a good way. It doesn't matter though - CG stopped caring 18 months ago. I have no false delusions that they are suddenly going to start caring what players think now.

• Options

yv0l9n0m04dn.jpg
    Started July 2016, completely FTP : https://swgoh.gg/u/rogenhamen/
  • Kailen
    90 posts Member
    Options
    They have to make money.
    This is how the game goes. New meta, after new meta.

Why is it bad that they want to make some money like they have before?
    They are giving extra time than 1st Jedi Revan event. At least by a week. And, there was more time to farm canderous and Bastilla.

Man, I don’t envy their job.
    Can’t please anyone.

Game developers used to make money by making games that were fun enough that people WANTED to play them, and would reward the developers for their hard work.

That's alien to the publishers now.

Now games need to trick people out of their money, find new ways to prey on people and twist their arm into spending money. It's not about making people WANT to spend money, it's about making people NEED to spend money.

Why are you rewarding that?
  • Options

Imho that's arguable. On the one hand, the event itself is meant to lead to the version of Revan that becomes a Jedi again after his fall to the Dark Side. But on the other hand... "General" was the title that he held until the end of the Mandalorian Wars, as long as he was fighting for the (Old) Republic. Also he had always worn his mask during the war. This plus his Jedi focused synergy make me rather see him as pre-kotor Revan. But actually, he can be both.
    [...] Nobody starts a business and thinks "I just want to make exactly enough money to survive and spend tons of hours of my life making the perfect game just out of the goodness of my heart."
    I know that it's out of context and would be unrealistic in regard to big companies, but: his name is Toby Fox and the game is called "Undertale". B)
  • Options

Point is: catering heavily to whales is actually not a good strategy, long-term.

Yes! Dead correct! I have severe reservations about any long term goals CG has. Their game plan seems to be “Make as much money now as we can, until we don’t.”
    If they catered to whales a little less, it WOULD be a great thing for the game...obviously this strategy would have to include several things. But on this point we both agree.
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.