Carth the Coward

Replies

• CadoaBane wrote: »
    (...)
    Jarvind wrote: »
    [...] Nobody starts a business and thinks "I just want to make exactly enough money to survive and spend tons of hours of my life making the perfect game just out of the goodness of my heart."
    I know that it's out of context and would be unrealistic in regard to big companies, but: his name is Toby Fox and the game is called "Undertale". B)

There are a few games that are a labor of love first and a revenue source second or not at all, but of course the creators of these games don't have to pay Disney for a Star Wars license.
  • CadoaBane wrote: »
    (...)
    [...] Nobody starts a business and thinks "I just want to make exactly enough money to survive and spend tons of hours of my life making the perfect game just out of the goodness of my heart."
    I know that it's out of context and would be unrealistic in regard to big companies, but: his name is Toby Fox and the game is called "Undertale". B)

There are a few games that are a labor of love first and a revenue source second or not at all, but of course the creators of these games don't have to pay Disney for a Star Wars license.

They also don't end up near the the top of the "Top Grossing" list on Google Play.
  • CazNeerg wrote: »
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    (...)

They also don't end up near the the top of the "Top Grossing" list on Google Play.

That's essentially my point. We'll never get to see a Star Wars game, or a game based on any other well-known media franchise, that isn't designed to be a cash cow. Licenses are expensive.

• That's essentially my point. We'll never get to see a Star Wars game, or a game based on any other well-known media franchise, that isn't designed to be a cash cow. Licenses are expensive.

Yeah. Galaxies didn't get axed because nobody played it, it got axed because in order to make economic sense it needed a *lot* of people to play it.
  • Nose
    19 posts Member
    I wish people would stop wanking. Quit the game and move on OR shut up and play it for what it is: a competitive game designed to make money. Honestly, if you’re not getting DR this time around, you have only yourself to blame because it’s been known for months. And I personally hope the event is hard as hell and requires 12+ gear to get through because I’m tired of beating down scrubs showing up with horrible rosters but the new “hotness” thinking they deserve a piece of the pie. And if you fell for the GG rework and wasted resources on it that you should have saved for DR, again, you have only yourself to blame. BTW, before anyone throws stones: I’m FTP and will get DR without spending a dime. Not blustering, just anticipating the backlash from the angry mob.
  • They're not going to make it require gear 12. All that would accomplish is making people who spent money to get the OR roster to 7 stars decide not to bother spending next time.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    CazNeerg wrote: »
    They're not going to make it require gear 12. All that would accomplish is making people who spent money to get the OR roster to 7 stars decide not to bother spending next time.

I think you're greatly underestimating the combined power of addiction and sunk cost fallacy, here.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Jarvind wrote: »
    They're not going to make it require gear 12. All that would accomplish is making people who spent money to get the OR roster to 7 stars decide not to bother spending next time.

I think you're greatly underestimating the combined power of addiction and sunk cost fallacy, here.

It might get them more money out of the people who already spent for this character, but in the long run they would lose money due to all the people who feel burned and decide not to spend on the next one. Or maybe I give people too much credit.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member

It might get them more money out of the people who already spent for this character, but in the long run they would lose money due to all the people who feel burned and decide not to spend on the next one. Or maybe I give people too much credit.

"Any at all" is usually too much, in my experience. And it goes double for gamers.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Tried playing KOTOR on iPhone. WOW is it awful
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited March 2019

I think you give people too much credit. We're dumb. We don't plan ahead for the future like that, when the next shiny thing comes around we forget all about the last time.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    (...)

And for this Reason, Dwarf Fortress is the greatest game of all time. The brothers live off fan donations and have don't give a crap about UI or optimizations.

Where else can your random dwarf create something like this:

gqc2oc09p5ii.png
  • Gifafi wrote: »

I would agree that playing games designed for the PC and consoles on a phone is an awful experience.
    Gifafi wrote: »

I would agree that playing games designed for the PC and consoles on a phone is an awful experience.

PC has a lot of issues too. Game needs to be played on an X Box

I don't have any real trouble with PC. But granted, when I play these days I throw in a fair amount of mods first, at least one of which I believe was a fan-sourced bug fixing mod.
    Carth wasnt annoying its just SW has alot bad guy fans so they typically hate "goody two shoes" which what Carth was IMO darth should been first because h was a Sith first then went to light Side the 2nd turning was as situational if you choose to go dark. but his first incarnation of DS wasnt a choice you wake up after it was over. but they wanted a treya killer so thats why they did it that way. PC version of this game is terrible its all mouse point and click unless you mod a controller which is way more annoying then carth was lol. Xbox or nothing IMO

I find controllers annoying, keyboard and mouse work great for KOTOR. As to Carth, I think he annoyed even a lot of people who like to be "good" in games, because just because you like being good doesn't mean you like NPCs who are total whiny beta males.
  • Let’s stay on topic. This about me.

... I’m still hurt 😢
  • Let’s stay on topic. This about me.

... I’m still hurt 😢

Well maybe if you dealt with Saul the first time around we wouldn't have to be having this discussion. B)
  • Carth_Onassi1973
    1706 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    arbennian wrote: »
    Let’s stay on topic. This about me.

... I’m still hurt 😢

Well maybe if you dealt with Saul the first time around we wouldn't have to be having this discussion. B)

Oh just through salt in the wound, why don’t you. You don’t think I’ve been to therapy because Dustil became a Sith? Now you bring this up? Sheeesh :smiley:

• This is why evil always wins. Because good is dumb!
  • arbennian wrote: »
    Carth never joined with Darth Revan. He wet his pants, cried like a baby, and ran away when you say you want to retake the title Dark Lord of the Sith.

Uh what? No one from SWGOH joined Darth Revan...what are you talking about? Are you talking about the non-canon version of Kotor? Well obviously it doesn't make since because its the non cannon version. The cannon version of Kotor had Revan becoming a Jedi again.
  • arbennian
    27 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    jejuzang wrote: »
    Uh what? No one from SWGOH joined Darth Revan...what are you talking about? Are you talking about the non-canon version of Kotor? Well obviously it doesn't make since because its the non cannon version. The cannon version of Kotor had Revan becoming a Jedi again.

From what I heard, nothing from KOTOR is canon in Disney's Star Wars. So your argument is a straw man. Regardless, the intention of this event is to follow his path back to the Dark Side. In that sense I say Carth as a requirement doesn't follow.
    From what I heard, nothing from KOTOR is canon in Disney's Star Wars. So your argument is a straw man. Regardless, the intention of this event is to follow his path back to the Dark Side. In that sense I say Carth as a requirement doesn't follow.

It's pretty clearly at least pseudo-canon at this point. Anybody familiar with KOTOR can tell by watching Clone Wars or Rebels that Dave Filoni is acting like it's all canon.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member

It's pretty clearly at least pseudo-canon at this point. Anybody familiar with KOTOR can tell by watching Clone Wars or Rebels that Dave Filoni is acting like it's all canon.

Was it mentioned in the Clone Wars?
  • Gifafi wrote: »

d9tnp3h4z2ab.jpg

Well.. you're playing on mobile when the game was designed for consoles, later ported to PC, and even later to phones. Obviously you're gunna have a bad time and think the game is awful because it's a chore to navigate the environments on phone; you might fat-finger a different dialogue option or combat command; and it's a tiny screen so you can't even enjoy the scenery and atmosphere of the game. Play on Xbox or PC for the better experience.
    Started July 2016, completely FTP : https://swgoh.gg/u/rogenhamen/
  • VonZant wrote: »

Places and concepts that originated from KOTOR often appeared. Onderon probably being the one that appeared the most. Darth Bane was not himself Old Republic, but his books were from the primary writer of KOTOR, and in the old canon he was heavily influenced by Revan. Some lines of dialogue from Maul at one point are clear references to the "Sith Code," which was the foundational principle of Sith philosophy which was, again, created in KOTOR. And the way the Force itself was treated in Clone Wars was far more consistent with the KOTOR approach than it was with what Lucas has said about the nature of the Force. So the guiding creative force behind animated Star Wars is clearly a massive KOTOR fanboy.
    jejuzang wrote: »

And the still running MMO with all sypporting literature, SW: The Old Republic.

They made Revan cannon quite a while ago
  • NNWO
    17 posts Member
    I never actually played KOTOR. Is Carth really that annoying? I really like him in this game. :/

I don't want to talk about it
    VonZant wrote: »

Places and concepts that originated from KOTOR often appeared. Onderon probably being the one that appeared the most. Darth Bane was not himself Old Republic, but his books were from the primary writer of KOTOR, and in the old canon he was heavily influenced by Revan. Some lines of dialogue from Maul at one point are clear references to the "Sith Code," which was the foundational principle of Sith philosophy which was, again, created in KOTOR. And the way the Force itself was treated in Clone Wars was far more consistent with the KOTOR approach than it was with what Lucas has said about the nature of the Force. So the guiding creative force behind animated Star Wars is clearly a massive KOTOR fanboy.

I'm not very familiar with the Old Republic, but I remember that Yoda visits Moraband and encounters a spirit or vision of Darth Bane towards the end of Clone Wars. And one episode of Rebels takes place on Malachor and features a bunch of ancient lightsabers (including crossguard versions akin to the design of Kylo's saber) amidst the scorched remains of a Jedi and/or Sith army. So yeah, there are a few easter eggs for KOTOR fans.
  • There’s more to do than squad arena? It’s been over a year since they added new PvE content, and even raids will soon be simmable. I guess if you’re a new player or in a novice guild there’s things to catch up on, but for everyone else, the game’s been whittled down to just PvP. PvP can’t be won without the uber powerful, broken cash characters like Revan that define the meta.

This is EA we’re talking about, they defined the micro transaction system that has damaged gaming and turned it into gambling. And the players who drop cash on unethical business practices are the ones enabling it. The playerbase rebelled against EA’s Battlefront 2 and they lost 3 billion dollars in stocks over it. But with SWGOH, instead of toning down on the ****, they’ve upped it and nobody seems to bat an eye.

“Don’t do that! But here’s a wheelbarrow of cash for doing that—but don’t do it next time! Aww, stop doing that! Here’s more cash for doing it, but better not next time...”

Meanwhile the game has become a burned out, tired old slot machine. Blame the spenders for encouraging this direction of the game. And blame Disney for allowing the Star Wars franchise to be monopolized by a company notorious for seeing players as dollar bills and who use every marketing and psychological trick in the book to give minimal content for maximum profit.

I agree with this take on things, it cant last forever
    The game is still entertaining from a zero dollar point of view
    Dollars would make this pretty stressful, id imagine
    "and i will show you ... where the iron crosses grow..."