5 year plan? Methinks not

Prev1
We’ve been told a 5 year plan exists but...that doesn’t make sense to me.
Swgoh came out November 24th 2015. So just over 3 years into a game we’re told - out of nowhere - by CG they have a 5 year plan? At the current rate they spit out new characters they’ll be dry on new content in under 2.
Obviously: having a 5 year plan is a basic as a business model but...why say it? Especially since several future characters haven’t been invented yet.
Do you know when I would tell my clientele something reassuring: when they have reason to think my business is going under. Since their clientele weren’t running around thinking their business is going under...I wonder if they don’t/didn’t think it.
Conspiracy theorist “proof” number 2: Revan. Revan Revan Revan. And some more Revans. Arenas full of them, everywhere you look. This over-complicated faction was created on purpose, and allowed to fester on purpose. Pre-Revan Arena was fun: top 30 consisted of 6+ teams. There was no problem with over-powerful teams. They CREATED this problem on purpose. They created it so we would come to them for a solution, and pay anything to make it end. I grant them it’s brilliant on a money-making level. Yet it’s also characteristic of a game ready to throw in the towel: milk as much money as you can just before collapse.

Can they keep this game going for many years? Absolutely! Will they? That’s something I’m not comfortable saying yes to.
Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.

Replies

• Umm, no. I think you are way off. I think Carrie mentioned a five year plan out of genuine excitement. And itf you need a reason to reassure people, how about the idea that mobile games typically don't last very long. This game has exceeded many expectations, and I believe they have a five-year plan because they just got extended the rights to star wars. On your second point, this case has been made before, with Luke. When he came to the game, people wondered "what is left?". Umm, how about more?! I mean, Resistance will have more characters with a new movie, as well as FO. Mandalorians TV show, possible Bobba Fett Kenobi movie. How about just filling out the other areas that are lacking, like clone wars, tuskens, Geo's, you name it. There is expanded universe, a ship raid... So much left to explore. What do you think the old whales have been doing for the last year? Remember, they have had everything maxed out for a while, and they still spend. We are good for at least two years.
  • I agree.
    We had Revan few months ago and now, terribly soon, they come out with Darth Revan..!?
    It seems to me that they are selling with hurry the biggest OP characters in a too short timeframe.
    Please note: what else of comparable should we have in the next 5 (!!!) years?
    Jedi Luke? Jedi Master Luke?
    Something big from SW Episode 9? Not so probable (a third Rey....).... and Episode 9 will be the last.
    They just introduced every possible garbage from their truelove KOTOR.... so?
    It seems that the strategy is, instead, to earn the insanely highest amount of money in the short period.....
  • The last? Aren't there two separate Star Wars trilogies already greenlit for after this one ends?
  • I agree.
    We had Revan few months ago and now, terribly soon, they come out with Darth Revan..!?
    It seems to me that they are selling with hurry the biggest OP characters in a too short timeframe.
    Please note: what else of comparable should we have in the next 5 (!!!) years?
    Jedi Luke? Jedi Master Luke?
    Something big from SW Episode 9? Not so probable (a third Rey....).... and Episode 9 will be the last.
    They just introduced every possible garbage from their truelove KOTOR.... so?
    It seems that the strategy is, instead, to earn the insanely highest amount of money in the short period.....

I'm pretty sure they won't stop at episode 9.
    They are barely on the edge of finishing KotOR (1! and they can add Malak any time). If they want to go that way there is still KotOR2, or even TOR. Plenty of content.
    The final season of Clone Wars can also bring a new meta.
    5 years seems optimistic, but there is still a lot of untouched material with potential.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    The 5 year plan doesn't have to be very exact, and will be more vague the further it gets, so I wouldn't worry about characters not being invented yet. And there's no reason to think they might run out of content, there's a lot they haven't added from the existing stuff and even more that's yet to come. Not sure how much you keep up with Star Wars news, but there are at least three series and two movie trilogies in the pipeline right now.
  • Not including every thing between old republic (revan) to ep1 and theres also the stuff before revan also
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Darth wrote: »
    This is Star Wars.....A huge universe....a lot more characters in it than just the movies....there’s prolly a couple more hundred characters they could put in the fame! Not counting the new characters we’ll see in future movies, games, etc

And yet, apart from HMF, CG has managed to turn it into SWGOKOTOR for the past 6+ months.

I agree with the OP.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    This is Star Wars.....A huge universe....a lot more characters in it than just the movies....there’s prolly a couple more hundred characters they could put in the fame! Not counting the new characters we’ll see in future movies, games, etc

And yet, apart from HMF, CG has managed to turn it into SWGOKOTOR for the past 6+ months.

I agree with the OP.

Remember when everyone was complaining about "galaxy of rebels"? The game ebbs and flows, and there isn't much more to add from KOTOR anyway.
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    Dude, it's been several months and all the new content has come from one old game and two new Separatist Droids. And you think they'll run out of characters before the 5 years are up??

Where's Maz Kanata? Unkar Plutt? Snap Wexley? Snoke? Lor San Tekka? FN-2199? General Hux? Members of the Guavian Death Gang or Kanjiklub? Teedo?
    And all those are characters we've yet to get from a film that came out just over 3 years ago. There'll be 8 more Saga Films soon and we already have 2 non-Saga films and games and TV shows. Do you know about the upcoming Mandalorian show? You don't think that's going to get represented in game once it's out?
    There's no way we're going to run out of characters any time before the 5 years are up!
    Heck, we don't even have Padme or Jar Jar yet! :-D
  • Darth wrote: »

I agree. There are a lot of movies coming. A lot of shows. A lot of video games. "Force unleashed" anyone?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    You think that over 5 years they would run out of characters to release?
    Have you seen the SW universe, and do you realize how many toons we only have one version of, that could easily have 2-3.

I dont think a 5 year plan is much of a stretch as far as characters are concerned.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »

I agree with the OP.

Remember when everyone was complaining about "galaxy of rebels"? The game ebbs and flows, and there isn't much more to add from KOTOR anyway.

Well, thank God for that at least.

(a little aecret: I played KOTOR. I didn't like it enough to even finish it.)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member

Wow, I'm surprised by that! For me, KotoR is one of the best video games of all time. I love it!
    I can understand people not loving it as much as me or even thinking it was just OK, but not even finishing it when you're a Star Wars fan is surprising.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Stenun wrote: »

Wow, I'm surprised by that! For me, KotoR is one of the best video games of all time. I love it!
    I can understand people not loving it as much as me or even thinking it was just OK, but not even finishing it when you're a Star Wars fan is surprising.

Yep. I know - and I've heard people that know me personally and how big of a Star Wars fan I am day the same. And I may be in the minority. But it's the truth.

• NS4Life1979
    71 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    the sky is falling, the sky is falling.. the world is going to end...

err nope, loads more content to release, lots more characters for the whales to sink their money into.

Darth Revan was always coming, that was the character all the KOTOR fans wanted, not Jedi Revan.

at least one more trilogy already agreed by Disney, and Disney love to milk a cash cow.. could easily see the game going for another 5 years, after all - 6 more movies at least.. over the next 5 years and more.

The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson has been given a new Star Wars trilogy
    and that Game of Thrones co-creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will also be joining a galaxy far, far away with their own Trilogy. - so at least 6 more movies.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

I agree with the OP.

There are plenty more KOTOR toons they could release, like Calo.

Lol, ironically he was one of the characters I did like.

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member

I agree with the OP.

There are plenty more KOTOR toons they could release, like Calo.

Yeah, but the issue is whether they would feel different enough from what we already have. There's imo no need to stretch it past a few really memorable characters and ships.
  • I would like to see Atton Rand. If you're an **** to kreia he's pretty funny
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

I agree with the OP.

You’re missing Chewie, C3PO, B1, Droideka, and reworks of GG, B2 and Magna, all within the last 6 months.
  • Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear regarding them running out of toons: but running out of good ones. Yes they have hundreds more they could add...but do you think a squad of Naboo’s finest should stand a chance against Jedi Revan?
    I don’t mind Jedi Revan being meta, being meta for a long time, or anything of the like. My problem with him is his mile-long abilities. Nobody could figure that out without seeing it in play. Moving forward: why not expect more over-complicated abilities? I like interesting abilities that have multiple ways to play (bb8, 3po, Hoda). But Revan? That’s just too much jumble.
    Example: I have found a way to make a GG team beat Revan 80%+ of the time. But I couldn’t theory-craft it. It took a lot of trial and error, and a lot of mod changes to finally get a setup that works. 2 weeks of experimenting just to try to figure out if something is even possible? It’s too much. There is a lot going on with the Seps mechanics, and adding in trying to work around Revans? 🤯
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    I know this turned into a kotor discussion but if this game makes 5 years its the shut down date and right now its definitely on a decline milking what they can
  • 3pourr2 wrote: »
    I know this turned into a kotor discussion but if this game makes 5 years its the shut down date and right now its definitely on a decline milking what they can

It's the 5th top grossing game in the Google Play Store. I happened to notice this yesterday when I updated the client on my phone. I'd say it's doing exceptionally well for a game this old when it's still in the top 5 of Google's best-selling games in terms of ingame transactions.
  • You have to keep shift the meta or else the game will get stale and everyone will have the meta...which is pointless.

There are lots of tens left.
  • 5 year plan is the same as the day 1 plan; part players from their money.
    Where are the Stun Guns?
  • darthnoobage
    182 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Given how OP JKR teams are, from a gameplay standpoint I can’t see how they’ll make interesting competitive teams even if there was enough content to be released.

I’d love to be wrong.

As for content I think they will start to struggle in the next year or two. For huge character releases, I think we have this revan and Jedi luke left, and paywalling Jedi luke will be impossible as we already have the related characters. Nothing else other than those two will bring people to spend like they have been. Personally I hope this game becomes galaxy of reworks but I can see that that might not be profitable enough