Grand Arena Ideas/Suggestions

I would like to suggest and get feedback on two ideas for grand arena.

First, let grand arena be a consistent, continuous thing.
Current grand arena is a special event, I would like to see it as a continuous event. Sign up and place defense in the same day, go on offense the next day. Sign up and place defense the day after that. In each instance, you fight a single opponent's roster (and likely don't have any information about that opponent until the offense phase begins because matchmaking is done while setting defense). Matchmaking for this should be based on record of wins and losses rather than GP (though GP can be used as a starting point).

Second, make grand arena about the full roster vs the full roster, both on offense and defense. A character on a defensive team can be placed on a different team for offense.
Right now, only a few teams can be placed (in 5v5, I placed 6 teams on defense... I have a lot more teams that I can form that aren't getting used). This rewards a deep, but narrow roster of highly developed characters (which squad arena already does). I would like to see a game setting that rewards a wider roster. I was actually thinking about the structure of this and I think teams should be placed in pairs, with no limit to the number of pairs you can place, but only one of the pair must be beaten to be allowed access to the next pair. Putting more teams on defense increases the risk that the other team can plow through and gather lots of points, but it also increases your baseline number of points in case your defense holds and you get stuck somewhere too.
A wider roster should decide the battle. Having 1 good team isn't enough to protect your back lines because in order to face the next pair of teams, only one of the teams must be beaten, (but maybe you get bonus points if you defeat both). Ships may need to have their own path, or they could have a specific pattern that falls in line with the squads (squad pair, squad pair, ship/squad combo, as an example). I think having their own path makes the most sense because you could use the ship/squad combo as a bottleneck, defeating the purpose of only needing to beat one team to face the next pair.
Again, the idea is to make a wider roster win over a deeper roster, given equal GP. So, to give an example, 50 G10s + 5G12s vs 15 G12s + 15 G10s (with the rest of the roster fairly trivial, but equalizing the GP between them), should result in the 50 G10s providing a stronger defense than the other team can beat down (5-6 teams beaten at most, but several still holding), and an offense that can break through their first line then having a field day with the leftovers (remember, all characters available for both offense and defense).

Replies

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    1. Some break would be a good thing, imo. Maybe run it every other week.
    2. That just ruins one of the tactical aspects. GA is, among other things, about smart choices between placing teams on defense or keeping them for attack.
  • Careful. You just suggested a possible even playing field not predicated on when you joined the game. How dare you.
  • Would whichever mod that moved my post move it back to general... There is absolutely zero visibility in a subforum of a subforum. I posted it in general for a reason.