GA Rewards - Why not add crystals?

DarthSide_158
20 posts Member
edited March 2019
Grand Arena is by far the best game mode in this game. However, rewards seem somewhat lacking given the intention underlying GA. Hear me out.

Squad Arena requires us to focus gear and mods on only 5 characters. Simply put, come up with the best 5 character composition you can. If you can get to one, here is 500 crystals per day.

Fleet arena is similar but may require more characters depending on the ships. Hypothetically, 8-16 characters to acquire 400 crystals per day.

LSTB: 500 crystals?
DSTB: 700 crystals?
TW: zetas and guild currency

The premise of grand arena was to determine who is the "best" player in swgoh. IMO, it seems like GA is more of "bragging rights" rather than actual reward compensation. I do acknowledge the current rewards are nice. However, crystals would just put the rewards in line with current game modes throughout the game.

My GP is 2.3 mil. So for each character only grand arena, I'm required to equip and mod at least 50 characters (assuming clean sweep). That is far more strategizing, planning, effort and time than squad and fleet arena combined.

Why not implement are tiered crystal structure for each GA tournament:

500 crystals (one day's squad arena rewards) for 1st place
350 crystals (2-4)
200 crystals (5-7)
150 crystals (8)

If not for every single GA, perhaps give them out when zetas are not in the reward structure. This mimics the rewards in all other game modes (see above).

Thoughts?

Replies

• I love the idea and agree with the points you're making. However they are already in the process of reducing rewards due to the increased occurrence of GAs (to my understanding).
  • Ededed
    43 posts Member
    3 zetas + salvage is a nice haul. And with the limit of 8 ranks, kinda hard to structure crystals. I cannot see them giving crystals to 5-7 much less 8th rank. So it'd prolly be more like 100 maybe 150 for 1st and 50 for 2-4.
    Doubt it will happen except as a rotated reward where that's all we get. I mean let's face it, squad and fleet arena your looking at 1 out of a thousand getting those crystals .... In ga it's 1 in 8. But who knows.
    UpTheIrons
  • Oh man. That's pretty terrible if that is true.
  • Ededed
    43 posts Member
    Eww. Hope they don't, but it wouldn't surprise me. But honestly, ga, it's a lot of work to just try, much less win. The rewards need to be pretty good just for folks to want to do it.
    UpTheIrons
  • I think you way oversimplified squad and fleet arena to prove your point. Sure, you only need 5 characters in squad to participate, but I doubt anyone will get and hold first place with the first 5 characters they get. Same for fleet.

For those arenas, you need to constantly get new characters and upgrade those characters in order to get first. And they only give 500 crystals a day to up to 24 people per shard, so it’s not like everyone is getting first every day with only 5 characters on their roster.

Currently, there are still a lot of ways to manipulate GA to be beneficial to certain people. I really don’t want to see crystal rewards in GA until they fix the matchmaking. You can intentionally sandbag by not unlocking or starring toons. You can remove mods from toons you don’t need. GA’s that include fleets still provide an advantage to those without heavy fleet rosters. Everyone’s name is shown, so you can look people up or work together against certain people.

Providing crystal rewards in GA will drive people to manipulate the system and potentially even make people quit the game.
  • As this is a “freemium” game (free to play, but spending gives you advantages), it’s never going to be entirely fair. Strategy and skill are demonstrated more by character choices, upgrades, and mods than by choices made in battles (although you can still lose by making bad battle decisions). Adding crystal payouts to grand arena prizes could provide a larger incentive to do well (or at least try) in grand arena. I’m thinking no crystals for 8th place, 50 for 5th-7th place, 100 for 2nd-4th place, & 200 for 1st place. That way, just about everyone gets some crystals, but the ones who do the best get more, which honors the commitment to doing well.
  • Kai_Mulai wrote: »
    Adding crystal payouts to grand arena prizes could provide a larger incentive to do well (or at least try) in grand arena. I’m thinking no crystals for 8th place, 50 for 5th-7th place, 100 for 2nd-4th place, & 200 for 1st place. That way, just about everyone gets some crystals, but the ones who do the best get more, which honors the commitment to doing well.

This would be reasonable I hope they will consider it