Fleet arena time out

I keep on getting timed out in fleet arena battles that I would plainly win with a minute or so more.

With the HT and Biggs able to just soak damage until you get the combo against them right, it can be tough to get through.

The fact that there are up to 7 ships that need killing means you should get longer to do it than normal arena, surely.

This is a strategy game right?(after you have resource managed your team) Surely it should be ok to take a second or two to consider your next move? And sometimes it'd be nice to be able to watch the animations at less than 4x speed.

Can we please go back to 7 minute fleet arena? It's not going to hurt the people that can finish it faster, surely.

Replies

• Plainly win? If it takes you over 5 minutes to set yourself up to win, I’m not sure I would refer to that as “plainly winning.”
    The reason why they went from 5 to 3 ships, and from 7 to 5 minutes, is because fleet battles were “taking too long” according to X number of players (I’m not sure how they surveyed).
    Assuming you are facing mirrors or extremely similar fleets: I’d argue those battles *should* take longer. I’m at the top of my arena, facing extremely tough, similar matchups and I’ve never timed out. If you send me your ally code, I can take a look at your fleet and pilots and possibly give you some advice on making them better.
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • My shard is fairly young, a bit over a year, and there is a wide range of fleets in the top 20. Top 5-20 anyway.

That means I don't just see the exact same starting lineup, and the reinforce order is varied. I can't just do the exact same thing every time. I need to think about who to bring in when etc.
    I'm enjoying it, but often there is a single enemy ship left with not quite enough time to get there.

Thanks for the offer of advice, but I prefer to play, not follow other's formulae.

To be clear, I'm not claiming I'd always win. Sometimes enemy fleets wipe the floor with me in no time. But I'd just like more time.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    That means I don't just see the exact same starting lineup, and the reinforce order is varied. I can't just do the exact same thing every time. I need to think about who to bring in when etc.
    I'm enjoying it, but often there is a single enemy ship left with not quite enough time to get there.

You could use the 5 minutes in between battles to plan your moves against your next opponent. This could save you some time during the actual battle.

• I had my first time out in fleet arena the other day. Our shard is about a year old and it's mainly Ackbar/Falcon fleets at the top, except for me. I have some tools to deal with the falcon fleets but misplayed the other day and called Cassians ship whilst my Ghost was breached (popping taunt straight back up on HT). Instead of getting wiped like I was expecting the battle just kept chugging along with both HT's just soaking it all up. Never had that before myself but I can see why it's frustrating. You need some pretty specific tools to deal with the meta fleets and a year just isn't long enough to farm all the toys in SWGOH ;)
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    5 mins is fine. Even chess players use a timer to add a little pressure.
  • Part of the strategy is figuring out how to win in under 5 mins. Timeout defense is also a strategy.
  • I agree with OP. 5 minutes may have been fine when they first dropped to 3v3, but now it takes a lot longer to set up a strategy to defeat all of these semi-invincible meta ships, especially in the case of HMF where they can call in 4 additional ships that you have to beat before even touching it.

I have repeatedly found myself on the precipice of winning, with my 5 ships left vs 2 - HMF + [Anything] - and bam, time's up. It's not that HMF can't be beat, but it basically ensures that you have to defeat all 7 opponent ships, which takes longer than 5 minutes unless you can set auto (which you can't if you have to pay attention to strategy because you're not a whale that spent $100 to have the latest meta).

Fleet Arena has gone to the birds.