GA Format: Are you a fan or not?

Replies

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Krjstoff wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    I don't know why they haven't used a variant of the 3 fleet zone + 1 squad zone map with the fleet zone in front of rather than behind a squad zone.

Becase there is only 4 capital ships, which makes it impossible to have 6 fleet teams.
    Furthermore nobody has more than 3 useful fleet teams.
    Wow, I really was braindead yesterday. I meant the 3 squad + 1 fleet zone map of course, only with the fleet zone in front of a squad zone not behind it.
  • I do not like this layout, My opponent put one Fleet on D and nothing in the squads. Which is annoying regardless, but then i figured out that if he managed to full clear me, and i could not clear his fleet he would win. Which is not cool. I should not be at a disadvantage for actually setting defenses.
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Why is everyone acting like it's the first time we've had this board? 👀
    I like that it changes.
    This straight forward one was never my favorite, but gives those whiny ship people a board where ppl can't use toons to block the ship zones. 😂
  • As to the map, not a fan, too basic. why not have a map of 6 or 7 territories, one a 5-toon, several 3-toon, maybe even a 2-toon or two, and also with toon territories behind ship territory? the point spread would be better and ties virtually non-existent. Also, why not 4-toon teams, or even 6-toon teams like in mode battles where ally-assist makes up 6-toon teams?
  • Javabeeker wrote: »
    As to the map, not a fan, too basic. why not have a map of 6 or 7 territories, one a 5-toon, several 3-toon, maybe even a 2-toon or two, and also with toon territories behind ship territory? the point spread would be better and ties virtually non-existent. Also, why not 4-toon teams, or even 6-toon teams like in mode battles where ally-assist makes up 6-toon teams?

cause that is way to complicated. Having all be the same requirement(3, 5) is perfect.
  • And if cg would actually give us another long-overdue capital ship, two ship territories would be a viable option, and they could put a toon team territory behind a ship territory - now that would require strategy and planning...
  • Gannon wrote: »
    Why is everyone acting like it's the first time we've had this board? 👀
    I like that it changes.
    This straight forward one was never my favorite, but gives those whiny ship people a board where ppl can't use toons to block the ship zones. 😂

Right we have played this map twice so the initial shock factor is gone and we can make better assessments about the play of this map
  • I like this GA format. It gives an advantage to those who have invested more in fleet. It is a counter balance to the other formats which reward those who have invested more in squad. I also like the open format because it doesn't allow 1 good team to win the entire GA. That is a major flaw of the other GA designs.

With the other formats, it comes down to this: do you have a Revan squad and your opponent doesn't... you win. Do you have a much faster Revan squad than your opponent... you win. It may not even matter what the other millions of your GP investment includes.

Granted, I've been playing at the lower GP levels than some, and the higher ones may be different, but what I'm describing is definitely true for the tier I've been playing at.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    They complain because people with ships have the advantage...but will totally keep quiet when their Darth Revan is immortal.... See I can admit to hypocrisy
  • Dk_rek wrote: »
    They complain because people with ships have the advantage...but will totally keep quiet when their Darth Revan is immortal.... See I can admit to hypocrisy

Yeah cause ships are the least liked part of the game for most people
  • MoBlaq
    580 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    The format is fine, need 2 ship fleets though...
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    MoBlaq wrote: »
    The format is fine, need 2 ship fleets though...

Unlikely to happen, cuz there's only 3 command ships that aren't event based. Four total. It could be possible when they add more, but not as it currently is. It would cause too many complaints.
  • Its a bummer but now you just need a new strategy

I hate it. It's a complete waste of time. I don't have JKR so I waste most my teams trying to kill him which screws my defense. I've looked at strategies and tried them unsuccessfully. My guild still lacks Traya which also hurts but is still beatable. I've spent $100s in this game and I'm still not in competition with whom I get matched with every time. ALL my toons are 85, all abilities except omegas and I get wrecked. Hate hate hate GA.
  • Where's the strategy????

Seems like we'd rather just use blunt objects and hammer our opponents,
    like tenderizing a piece of meat.

"CG is breeding an attitude of "why bother" more and more in the game. For everyone except whales. It's a little frightening.". ~guildmate
  • Deadheat
    78 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I hate, hate, HATE this GA. I hate GA in general, but this map just...
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Its a bummer but now you just need a new strategy

I hate it. It's a complete waste of time. I don't have JKR so I waste most my teams trying to kill him which screws my defense. I've looked at strategies and tried them unsuccessfully. My guild still lacks Traya which also hurts but is still beatable. I've spent $100s in this game and I'm still not in competition with whom I get matched with every time. ALL my toons are 85, all abilities except omegas and I get wrecked. Hate hate hate GA.

Having all your toons at lvl 85 puts you at a serious disavantage due to how the matchmaking works.
    This has nothing to do with the topic that is being discussed here though, so you might find other threads more usefull.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Riffinator wrote: »
    Dk_rek wrote: »

so what
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Where's the strategy????

Seems like we'd rather just use blunt objects and hammer our opponents,
    like tenderizing a piece of meat.

"CG is breeding an attitude of "why bother" more and more in the game. For everyone except whales. It's a little frightening.". ~guildmate

becauseit'srealeggshen.jpg
  • I like this GA map.I don't want to guess what my opponent has on the back walls because I'll probably get it wrong.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • GA is supposed to be a full roster test over the entire season. Different formats stress different parts of the roster. Fan or not of this format, it provides ship (and especially Falcon) heavy rosters an advantage. Those rosters have been disadvantaged in other formats, so it's great they're getting their day in the sun, so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point we have a map with a back row that's blocked by a fleet battle to provide the same advantage.

I'm a huge GA fan and there hasn't been a variant I haven't liked yet. There's less "luck" involved in this format since you don't have to "guess" what's hiding behind front row teams. This one benefits roster hunters who are making choices about what to leave on defense, what to bring on offense, and how to maximize offensive banners while minimizing defensive banners.

It's a different and welcome challenge to me.
  • Dk_rek wrote: »
    Dk_rek wrote: »

so what

Also "People will be totally quiet about DR," no they wont. People complained and are still complaining about JKR when he was considered immortal. There is no Hypocrisy.
  • Did I miss another Grand Arena??? Would love to get a heads up that one is starting.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    RebelLion wrote: »
    Did I miss another Grand Arena??? Would love to get a heads up that one is starting.
    Watch the event icons on the right side of your screen.

Check the events calendar on this website.
  • I think this map is different and interesting, not worse. The challenges are different.

There is still a lot of strategy. On defense, whether to hide strong or weak stuff in the back is part of the strategy. But the more important strategy is deciding what to keep for attack, based on your opponent's roster, and whether you want to lean toward defense or offense. That part of the strategy is still there.

On attack, there is no longer a strategic element of saving good teams for the back zones. But that is replaced by the strategy of trying to maximize banners, having perfect information before delegating your squads.

Perfect information doesn't mean there is no strategy. Just consider Chess and Go.
  • No icon for me. I'm on 3-4 times a day on two different accounts...if it appeared I would have seen it.
  • Keydash1
    503 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I do not like this layout, My opponent put one Fleet on D and nothing in the squads. Which is annoying regardless, but then i figured out that if he managed to full clear me, and i could not clear his fleet he would win. Which is not cool. I should not be at a disadvantage for actually setting defenses.

You get 90 banners for setting a defense, and at most 64 banners for an offensive win. You are not at a disadvantage for setting defense when your opponent didn't. If your opponent had placed 6 squads of L1G1, and you soloed them all with full health/protection, you'd be 156 points further behind than you are now (6*(90-64)).
  • I dislike this board because it makes the « who gets to attack second » matter worse. It was always a problem but the fact that you can see everything right at the beginning add to it. Attacking second in this format allow you to work with 100% information, it’s just too strong.

I don’t understand why some people feel like it gives fleet heavy rosters an advantage, it doesn’t look like it does at all.
  • I’m fine with it. I like having new and different layouts with each GA, so there are going to be formats im not a fan of. My feelings for keeping them different outweighs my feelings on this individual one.

I still want to see a GW-style ladder format. That’s my hope.
    Ooba hutar.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    JohnAran wrote: »

I don’t understand why some people feel like it gives fleet heavy rosters an advantage, it doesn’t look like it does at all.

unless your opponent can´t beat your falcon, then it´s an insta win even if you place garbage on squad def
    Save water, drink champagne!