GA Format: Are you a fan or not?

Replies

• Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    GA is supposed to be a full roster test over the entire season. Different formats stress different parts of the roster. .

And while it will never happen because we won't get matched a newer player with 1.5million GP could destroy people with 4.2million GP rosters.... not exactly a full roster check or maybe it is..... I don't know anymore about anything...

Right now all I really know is this map with the ships is the only win I have had in a while
  • Options
    Not much into it, why aren't we able to build teams, set an order of defense (1st,2nd,3rd...) and you have to fight your opponent one after the other with your full roster as an example?

After the face you should be able to see what would have been left.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    JohnAran wrote: »

I don’t understand why some people feel like it gives fleet heavy rosters an advantage, it doesn’t look like it does at all.

unless your opponent can´t beat your falcon, then it´s an insta win even if you place garbage on squad def

If you can clear their squads too which supposedly won’t be easy if you are a fleet heavy roster against a squad heavy roster. I don’t see any advantage. At best a smaller disadvantage^^
  • Options

I don’t understand why some people feel like it gives fleet heavy rosters an advantage, it doesn’t look like it does at all.

unless your opponent can´t beat your falcon, then it´s an insta win even if you place garbage on squad def

If you can clear their squads too which supposedly won’t be easy if you are a fleet heavy roster against a squad heavy roster. I don’t see any advantage. At best a smaller disadvantage^^

Assuming you can clear your opponent offensively, you can place your HMF on defense and assume (for the most part) that it doesn't get cleared.

So even if you put nothing viable on defense, and your opponent gets max points out of squad, they can't make up the points you gained for beating their fleet and clearing the zone.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

Assuming you can clear your opponent offensively, you can place your HMF on defense and assume (for the most part) that it doesn't get cleared.

So even if you put nothing viable on defense, and your opponent gets max points out of squad, they can't make up the points you gained for beating their fleet and clearing the zone.

This is what i meant.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    If I win, I am a fan. If I lose, it's totally staged and bad game design.
  • Options
    Mawuascht wrote: »
    Not much into it, why aren't we able to build teams, set an order of defense (1st,2nd,3rd...) and you have to fight your opponent one after the other with your full roster as an example?

After the face you should be able to see what would have been left.

You mean like a PVP Galactic War?
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Aydnie
    432 posts Member
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Not crazy about the layout but it is the closest thing we have right now to squad-fleet balance in GA.

I don't really like this map either....but I think this hits the nail on the head.....ships are already excluded from certain maps and can be hidden by troops on one of the other maps....this map seems like it's throwing a bone to the people who invested more in ships. Even though I personally don't care for this map, I'm okay with them using formats that give advantages to different types of rosters....keeps GA more balanced overall so the same people don't always have an edge in format.

I would agree with what you were saying pre-falcon. Everyone complains about revan being too OP and the falcon is 1000x worse. So when half the war is ships and they have it and you don’t, why bother?

I never encountered a falcon yet but I'm 100% sure if I am against one I can defeat it like it's nothing. My actual composition allowed me, with a G9 fleet commander, level 80 capital ship (it gained levels since now but it didnt changed my performances much), and crew only G11 without the zetas, with two ships being 5 starts (they are 6 now, but still) against full geared pilots, to climb like something in the top 200. I don't have any falcon, and my Hound Tooth is only 2 stars and my bossk is gear 4, level 50 and 3 stars so I am not using it.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Aydnie wrote: »
    Not crazy about the layout but it is the closest thing we have right now to squad-fleet balance in GA.

I don't really like this map either....but I think this hits the nail on the head.....ships are already excluded from certain maps and can be hidden by troops on one of the other maps....this map seems like it's throwing a bone to the people who invested more in ships. Even though I personally don't care for this map, I'm okay with them using formats that give advantages to different types of rosters....keeps GA more balanced overall so the same people don't always have an edge in format.

I would agree with what you were saying pre-falcon. Everyone complains about revan being too OP and the falcon is 1000x worse. So when half the war is ships and they have it and you don’t, why bother?

I never encountered a falcon yet but I'm 100% sure if I am against one I can defeat it like it's nothing. My actual composition allowed me, with a G9 fleet commander, level 80 capital ship (it gained levels since now but it didnt changed my performances much), and crew only G11 without the zetas, with two ships being 5 starts (they are 6 now, but still) against full geared pilots, to climb like something in the top 200. I don't have any falcon, and my Hound Tooth is only 2 stars and my bossk is gear 4, level 50 and 3 stars so I am not using it.
    Much have you to learn young padawan.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options

Trick here is if you place utter trash on D Wampa can solo phoenix, Nest can solo anyone, Zylo could solo jawas or any weak teams on his own, heck even maybe Savage, That's an extra 16 points X 7 that's 106 extra points right there if he is getting 60's and you get hung up getting 30's that's an extra 210 points so say he made up 316 points.... max ship area points is what 221 points... he does not have to beat your ship area...

added to that he still get's 3x chances to beat your falcon.... if he pulls off a suicide run with ITF/Poe whoever now he could have 2 fleets left to grind you down for the 155 he won't need.

Just having the falcon does not guarantee a win... but it helps greatly i agree if you have and he does not
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options

unless you cannot beat your opponent's Revan or Traya, then your opponent can earn more points clearing your squad zone than you can earn clearing his fleet zone
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options

unless you cannot beat your opponent's Revan or Traya, then your opponent can earn more points clearing your squad zone than you can earn clearing his fleet zone

yup.... you gotta put trash on D so you have the O to clear them....but you HAVE to put trash on D that cannot be beaten by less than a 5 man team.....

That's one thing I like about this map besides the falcon...I do see a lot more math based strategies that can come into play to throw a wrench into peoples game plan
  • Options

I got it the first time^^ To which i answered what you quoted. If i answer the same again we’re going to be stuck in a weird loop :p
    Of course if you can clear your opponent’s squads and ships and they can’t clear your ships you win. How does this very obvious fact gives an advantage to fleet heavy roster on that layout is the question.

If the squad heavy roster can clear your squads and not your ship and you can clear their ship and not their squads you loose. Now that looks like an actual advantage to me.

(Btw, i have a squad heavy roster and the falcon. Falcon =/= fleet heavy.)
  • Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »

yup.... you gotta put trash on D so you have the O to clear them....but you HAVE to put trash on D that cannot be beaten by less than a 5 man team.....

That's one thing I like about this map besides the falcon...I do see a lot more math based strategies that can come into play to throw a wrench into peoples game plan

I agree, and that gives so much power to the player attacking second. That’s the main concern i have with this layout.
  • Gannon
    1629 posts Member
    Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    GA is supposed to be a full roster test over the entire season. Different formats stress different parts of the roster. .

And while it will never happen because we won't get matched a newer player with 1.5million GP could destroy people with 4.2million GP rosters....

Wait until next GA, if ships aren't included. Those lean roster folks will end up facing 3m+ or more players. It's coming lol 😆
  • Options
    No.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Again it's EXTREMELY easy to lose by clearing both your opponents territory's and them NOT clearing your falcon
  • Options
    This format is wack!! No Strategy at all. The grand arena is getting worse n worse. Why does it show 4 rings for squad leaders but want you to fill 5 squads? Who gets left out? Where did the zones go? So now just take your 5 raid squads and your best ship squad, put up that wall and hope you have more GP. No skill at all. This is garbage so Scrap it and start over. The platform has changed so many times now it has lost the desired effect. This is the process to find out whos the best in the cantina? I love this game and play it everyday but this is bothering me. Please do something
  • Calbear949
    839 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Wait...you are supposed to balance your offense with defense...you don't put all your best squads on D.

You are supposed learn which teams counters what teams and plan accordingly.

Of all the modes of the game...GA requires the most amount of strategizing and planning.
  • Options
    Its a bummer but now you just need a new strategy

I hate it. It's a complete waste of time. I don't have JKR so I waste most my teams trying to kill him which screws my defense. I've looked at strategies and tried them unsuccessfully. My guild still lacks Traya which also hurts but is still beatable. I've spent $100s in this game and I'm still not in competition with whom I get matched with every time. ALL my toons are 85, all abilities except omegas and I get wrecked. Hate hate hate GA.

Having all your toons at lvl 85 puts you at a serious disavantage due to how the matchmaking works.
    This has nothing to do with the topic that is being discussed here though, so you might find other threads more usefull.

I know it does, which sucks. But it kind of does have to do with this thread, I can't find a strategy that works and open to suggestions. =)
  • Options

I hate it. It's a complete waste of time. I don't have JKR so I waste most my teams trying to kill him which screws my defense. I've looked at strategies and tried them unsuccessfully. My guild still lacks Traya which also hurts but is still beatable. I've spent $100s in this game and I'm still not in competition with whom I get matched with every time. ALL my toons are 85, all abilities except omegas and I get wrecked. Hate hate hate GA.

Having all your toons at lvl 85 puts you at a serious disavantage due to how the matchmaking works.
    This has nothing to do with the topic that is being discussed here though, so you might find other threads more usefull.

I know it does, which sucks. But it kind of does have to do with this thread, I can't find a strategy that works and open to suggestions. =)

Honestly dont understand these two posts.

GP is misleading...having toons that are geared and well mod are more important

• Gannon
    1629 posts Member
    Options
    Calbear949 wrote: »

Honestly dont understand these two posts.

GP is misleading...having toons that are geared and well mod are more important

Yes, and having teams that directly counter a variety of teams or that require really good teams to beat are the best investment.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Love Grand Arena, but some of the setups I do not like, and I hate ships period.

Current one sucks for me cause I hate ships, and the strategy is gone when the opponent can see all your teams at the beginning.

I also hate 3v3 since teams are not made for 3v3, and there is nowhere else to try 3v3 to get comfortable with it and to figure teams out. Many 5v5 teams are garbage in 3v3s.
  • Options
    I got it the first time^^ To which i answered what you quoted. If i answer the same again we’re going to be stuck in a weird loop :p
    Of course if you can clear your opponent’s squads and ships and they can’t clear your ships you win. How does this very obvious fact gives an advantage to fleet heavy roster on that layout is the question.

Line 10: If the squad heavy roster can clear your squads and not your ship and you can clear their ship and not their squads you loose. Now that looks like an actual advantage to me.

(Btw, i have a squad heavy roster and the falcon. Falcon =/= fleet heavy.)

Line 20: Of course if you can't clear their squads you lose.
    Line 30: Go to Line 10

Agreed that Falcon=/= fleet heavy, and that was an incorrect assumption I was making. I was speaking from personal experience where I have one non-Revan account with HMF that is in a bracket with several Revans without HMF. The first, as expected, put their Revan on defense and lost. Interestingly, not only could they not clear the Falcon, they actually lost on points as well to what I would describe as at best a pretty average defense.

I suppose a truly fleet heavy roster (all four capital ships maxed with 20 or more well geared crew) would only benefit from having two fleets to place, and the Falcon consideration would be just as true there. Unfortunately that won't happen.
  • Options
    I liked this map, I had six squad deployments and the fleet for reference.

I have two strong fleets and a third building so this really put me at an advantage over players without strong fleets, as opposed to me being disadvantaged in the GAs where there are no fleets.
    To say falcon = win is wrong, it all depends on whether your falcon A team met up with their A team. And if you have a solid B team. If you put your falcon on defense, and they put their best fleet on defense, chances are no fleet points will be scored, regardless of who had falcon and who didn't.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not a fan of this map layout at all. As everyone has said, limiting the map to 2 territories cuts out most of the strategy of the setup phase. Also, I know everyone may not agree with this, but I really prefer GA with no ships.

I really prefer GA with ships. But at least now that they took out fleet gp from no-fleet ga matchmaking, it’ll be better i hope. No more being matched with players that have 300k more squad gp than i do.
  • Eddiemundie
    1070 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

j75jwgf1cjt8.png

Beat a falcon without using falcon for max points, but yea sure why bother.
  • Options

j75jwgf1cjt8.png

Beat a falcon without using falcon for max points, but yea sure why bother.

I take it they didn’t have HT on D. Otherwise I’d be happy to hear your strat
  • Options
    Also assuming the strat isn’t “itf goes first then silencer clears Hans falcon.” Cuz for me, I run itf and Poe in ship arena and a crit happens with itf - very small and pathetic percent of the time. Not nearly the over 50% of the time it should be statistically.
  • Options
    Also assuming the strat isn’t “itf goes first then silencer clears Hans falcon.” Cuz for me, I run itf and Poe in ship arena and a crit happens with itf - very small and pathetic percent of the time. Not nearly the over 50% of the time it should be statistically.

Itf and poe, they have HT but i just blew through it anw. It helps to have g12 pilots u know.

And i didnt put silencer in there, wasnt needed. Just used HT with itf and poe so there was a backup plan if no crit happened.