New game mode idea - Missions

elmarko1234
165 posts Member
edited March 2019
I was thinking of ideas for new game modes recently which fit into the following category.

1. Not highly time consuming, nothing like the blitz mode of Marvel strike force.
2. Rewarding diverse rosters of characters & teams.
3. A new way of getting rewards.

The idea would be to create a missions board, where you can send off squads of characters or ships to undertake certain missions.

For example,

Mission - Tech recovery

Put together a squad of 5 Jedi/Sith/Sith Empire to obtain lost tech.

The mission has a requirement and a duration, you send those 5 characters off on a mission & they not available for any other missions that day. When the timer is up (between 2 and 12 hours), you have to do a battle/few stages of a battle for the reward.

In this case, you may encounter a few waves of droids, which each wave of difficulty providing a higher tier reward - designed to be short but difficult fights.

Now, how it gets more fun -

You start to get a list of available missions, with up-to 5 to pick from - but some require say old republic squads, or Jawas, Nightsisters, bounty hunter (ships too remember) & they all be randomly generated the missions with different setups and fights.

Longer missions have a longer duration/better reward & you can do X missions a day, but you can focus on credit rewards, item rewards (stun guns even), or Zetas/Omegas - a part of the game you can choose what reward you get.

A pretty simple to implement system, which rewards players with in-depth list of squads (in my case, would motivate me to get them as right now I don't see the point) - PVE focused so no negativity regarding GA or squad arena.

Replies

• Seems kind of like the early game quests but ramped up for end game capabilities. I would be ok with that. It isn't as if I am spending a lot of time playing anyway (insert sarcastic eye-roll). Seriously though, short little missions could be fun.

Please visualize the search gear flow. Imagine, the selections, if you would. We currently have find and request as options, but what if there was an additional option. Hunt (or some other notation indicating a mission seeking it) You can send out a squad for a mission, as you indicated at the top. I would recommend a significantly longer mission duration as to not be abused, especially if you are seeking high value items. It should not be so rewarding that it undermines the spenders in the game, but enough to offer incentive for the FTP players (like me) to want to complete the missions.

For example: I want stun gun prototype salvage. I select the "hunt" feature. A mission generates, offering me 5 salvage for a 24 hour hunt. The game randomly selects a squad to go hunting with no weight given to stars, level, or gear. It would put a character with leadership in the leadership slot, however. You never know what squad you will have to use. After 24 hours of hunting, you find the salvage is guarded by an encounter of significant difficulty. You may not win, depending on the squad selection.

This is a way to make people desire to level and gear characters, rather than sandbagging to get more favorable GA/GW matchups. You want to make everyone at least playable. Though since the rewards are not game breaking, people do not have to do them or lose ground against others.

This could also be set up as an individual raid where you could earn tickets to enter a smaller raid without your guild. Some examples could be battling Jedi temple guards to access a holocron with gear in it, or a Force cave like in Empire Strikes Back. There could be multiple possibilities that could be fun in a game mode like this.

Realistically, I don't see the developers implementing a mode like this, though it would be cool if they did. Just as long as my wife doesn't see the amount of screen time I am logging.
  • I like your idea of the hunt as a concept, but dislike the implementation of a random squad facing a difficult encounter. Let's face it, RNG has few fans and you would garner contempt towards this innovative game mode very quickly when people are successful 1/10 attempts due to having a random zero synergy mix everyday.

Try this: allow the player to select the faction, or even just have a randomly selected computer faction and the player gets to pick the characters they send. Next ramp the difficulty based on the amount of salvage the player chooses to attempt for with 1 salvage piece being trivial and the maximum of 5 pieces being more of a mythic tier difficulty. The player would need to log in during a two hour period around the completion of the hunt to be able to participate in the battle.

I know people hated the flash battle concept, but this would differ because you would know when your hunt was up, much like energy refreshes. The more salvage pieces, the longer the duration the hint would need to be.

But we are in some serious need of some innovative PVE content that is consistent. This would be welcomed.