Quick Sith raid damage question

Jooms
74 posts Member
Can anyone clarify if damage is overlapped? For example, let's say two people jump in phase 1 and do 8% each... does nihilus drop to 84% or 92% for the next attacker? We recently just finished heroic for the first time the other day and were calling in our attacks so damage wasn't overlapped. Wondering if that was necessary, I was under the impression that damage does overlap if multiple players are going at the same time

Replies

• PepsiAddict
    311 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    My understanding is that it does overlap...mostly.
    After damage has been done, THEN the damage does not overlap for that person, and anyone else who did not start attacking yet. But anytime 2 or more people are attacking at the same time: their damage does overlap.
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    84%

The only time damage is overlapped is when the phase is ending.

DN is at 2% and two people go in and do 2% each, then one of the attempts is "wasted"
  • If 2 players jump in and both do 8% Nihilus will drop to 84% for the next person. If however Nihilus has 10% HP left and 2 people jump in both doing 8% damage, his health will drop to zero and phase 2 will begin, however phase 2 will still be at 100% health. Hope that makes sense.
  • Jooms
    74 posts Member
    Makes sense, thanks guys!
  • So if 2 people attacked at the same time, doing the exact same 8% damage...I think Nihilus would be at 92%. Hopefully somebody chimes in if I am wrong.
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • So if 2 people attacked at the same time, doing the exact same 8% damage...I think Nihilus would be at 92%. Hopefully somebody chimes in if I am wrong.

Chiming in, this is incorrect.

Gama_Fox wrote: »
    If 2 players jump in and both do 8% Nihilus will drop to 84% for the next person. If however Nihilus has 10% HP left and 2 people jump in both doing 8% damage, his health will drop to zero and phase 2 will begin, however phase 2 will still be at 100% health. Hope that makes sense.

This is correct.
    Ultra wrote: »
    84%

DN is at 2% and two people go in and do 2% each, then one of the attempts is "wasted"

This is essentially correct. To further clarify,
    Only one person can ‘transition’ from one phase to the next, and damage is only applied to the raid boss as a whole at the end of a run (I’m not a tech guy, but basically the server gives you a starting point, your device handles running the battle, then uploads the ending point back to the server, which updates the raid status).

As an example,

If Darth Nihilus is at 2% and player A starts his run, does the 2% percent damage, and begins battling Sion in phase 2 (without posting in guild chat that he has transitioned - highly recommended so any other active players can retreat and save their team).

At this point (call it player A is at 99% on sion, just for fun) player B starts a run as well.
    Because the fight on player A’s device is still going and the server has not yet been updated, Player B will also start the battle at 2% remaining of Darth Nihilus in phase 1.

Player B also does the 2% damage to Nihilus and begins battling Sion in phase 2 (but lost JTR due to a last minute annihilate from Nihilus just before putting him down).

Meanwhile, player A is having a decent run, Sion is at about 95% and still 2 turns until Enrage, when he is distracted by a visitor at the door, setting his phone down, he deals with the intrusion, and a couple minutes later resumes his run.

Player B, struggling to make a go of it without Rey, only does about 1% damage to Sion before her team is destroyed, ending her run (and uploading the info to the server)

Moments later, player A, having lasted to enrage, is knocked out, having achieved 6% of Sion, leaving him with 94% health.

But because Player B was the first to end her run and update the server, the guild will see Sion at 99% when the next player starts their run, essentially ‘wasting’ the entirety of Player A’s run - this does ‘consume’ the use of Player A’s team for the raid as well

Note, however, that while the raid health percentage remaining will reflect only the damage from player B’s run, on the raid damage tracking leaderboard Player A will be credited with the entire damage of his run.

Also, the above situation is ‘worst case’ with a near simultaneous run finish. If player A had announced that they were in phase 2, player B would have known to wait (not that other players always listen... I’ve abandoned many, many a good run due to this). Or, if Player A had lasted another few seconds, the server would have pushed a phase completion notification into guild chat, which would signify that the run would be wasted, allowing him to retreat - which, while not posting any damage to the leaderboard, at least would conserve the team used for redeployment and actually causing ‘real’ damage later in the raid.

Hope that helps.
  • Jooms
    74 posts Member
    TheJEFFtm wrote: »
    So if 2 people attacked at the same time, doing the exact same 8% damage...I think Nihilus would be at 92%. Hopefully somebody chimes in if I am wrong.

Chiming in, this is incorrect.

Gama_Fox wrote: »
    If 2 players jump in and both do 8% Nihilus will drop to 84% for the next person. If however Nihilus has 10% HP left and 2 people jump in both doing 8% damage, his health will drop to zero and phase 2 will begin, however phase 2 will still be at 100% health. Hope that makes sense.

This is correct.
    Ultra wrote: »
    84%

This is essentially correct. To further clarify,
    Only one person can ‘transition’ from one phase to the next, and damage is only applied to the raid boss as a whole at the end of a run (I’m not a tech guy, but basically the server gives you a starting point, your device handles running the battle, then uploads the ending point back to the server, which updates the raid status).

As an example,

If Darth Nihilus is at 2% and player A starts his run, does the 2% percent damage, and begins battling Sion in phase 2 (without posting in guild chat that he has transitioned - highly recommended so any other active players can retreat and save their team).

At this point (call it player A is at 99% on sion, just for fun) player B starts a run as well.
    Because the fight on player A’s device is still going and the server has not yet been updated, Player B will also start the battle at 2% remaining of Darth Nihilus in phase 1.

Player B also does the 2% damage to Nihilus and begins battling Sion in phase 2 (but lost JTR due to a last minute annihilate from Nihilus just before putting him down).

Meanwhile, player A is having a decent run, Sion is at about 95% and still 2 turns until Enrage, when he is distracted by a visitor at the door, setting his phone down, he deals with the intrusion, and a couple minutes later resumes his run.

Player B, struggling to make a go of it without Rey, only does about 1% damage to Sion before her team is destroyed, ending her run (and uploading the info to the server)

Moments later, player A, having lasted to enrage, is knocked out, having achieved 6% of Sion, leaving him with 94% health.

But because Player B was the first to end her run and update the server, the guild will see Sion at 99% when the next player starts their run, essentially ‘wasting’ the entirety of Player A’s run - this does ‘consume’ the use of Player A’s team for the raid as well

Note, however, that while the raid health percentage remaining will reflect only the damage from player B’s run, on the raid damage tracking leaderboard Player A will be credited with the entire damage of his run.

Also, the above situation is ‘worst case’ with a near simultaneous run finish. If player A had announced that they were in phase 2, player B would have known to wait (not that other players always listen... I’ve abandoned many, many a good run due to this). Or, if Player A had lasted another few seconds, the server would have pushed a phase completion notification into guild chat, which would signify that the run would be wasted, allowing him to retreat - which, while not posting any damage to the leaderboard, at least would conserve the team used for redeployment and actually causing ‘real’ damage later in the raid.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. That was very helpful .... and descriptive