Bad kit design in DRevan, and GG.

Prev134
JacenRoe
3016 posts Member
I have no interest in arguing about how good or bad either kit is, or either team is. Especially since DRevan teams are still being experimented with. They are definitely useable. But I just want to point out something I personally don't think is an enjoyable design element. SEVERELY crippling your own team is not a good idea.

GG kills is own team with stacking damage. That's too much. B1 never gets to build up any stacks of his buff because GG kills him off as fast as he regenerates without the enemy having to do anything. And eventually GG does crippling damage to his whole team as his health increases. It's a cool concept that he is selfish, and sacrifices his teammates for his benefit. It fits with the character too. It's just too much. If he only damaged a couple of his allies each turn instead of the whole team there would be at least a chance for B1 to build some stacks of his buff. And if GG took a set percentage of his allies health (not a constantly increasing amount) it would be manageable. But it's too detrimental to be fun.

Similarly, DRevan is easily crushed on defense, and decent on offense. Probably in a similar class to GG. The debuff he gives his team completely wipes out their ability to take a hit. It's too much in my opinion. Even god modded DRevan teams are down a character before they get a single move against JKR teams. Then they give themselves a much bigger defense penalty than they do offense boost. It's a neat idea, but it's too much. DRevan should give a smaller defense penalty than offense boost. His team is slower that the current meta. It has zero TM boost. They are just sitting ducks against JKR teams like everyone else. They don't need such a big detrimental effect inflicted on themselves. Again. Cool idea, just tuned too high.

Treya and Palpatine both hurt allies for selfish reasons, but it's not enough to cripple their own team. Maybe someone else likes that, but I think it takes a lot of enjoyment out of the game. And I think we're going to be stuck with a 90% JKR meta (or the watching paint dry meta) for the foreseeable future, because anything else that has come out since keeps getting overturned self crippling abilities.

Replies

• Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Since the main reason these are both considered "bad" is that they don't release Jedi Revan's stranglehold on all things PVP, it seems like JKR is actually the bad kit here. If he weren't such an unstoppable juggernaut, DRevan and Grievous would both be fine.

Honestly, all they'd have to do is remove the speed from his leadership and he'd be 100x more manageable. The whole reason DRevan can't hold on defense is because JKR can just be like "lol markd" before DR has a chance to do anything.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Jarvind wrote: »
    Since the main reason these are both considered "bad" is that they don't release Jedi Revan's stranglehold on all things PVP, it seems like JKR is actually the bad kit here. If he weren't such an unstoppable juggernaut, DRevan and Grievous would both be fine.

Honestly, all they'd have to do is remove the speed from his leadership and he'd be 100x more manageable. The whole reason DRevan can't hold on defense is because JKR can just be like "lol markd" before DR has a chance to do anything.

I definitely agree that JKR makes a big problem. I do think there are creative ways to design around that, and counter him though that don't require a nerf. My main point is just that JKR kills you fast enough. He doesn't need help from my own characters.
  • Jenjhys
    272 posts Member
    I think the problem is direct focus don't start with cooldown. all big special with darth side start with cooldown... nihilus and hk for exemple...
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Yes JKR teams are a problem, but I really have no interest in a nerf thread. Even is his absence it isn't fun when your own team damages you too much. Does anyone agree or disagree with that?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Yes JKR teams are a problem, but I really have no interest in a nerf thread. Even is his absence it isn't fun when your own team damages you too much. Does anyone agree or disagree with that?

I have nothing against "win before you kill yourself" teams, it's something fresh if done right. The problem is that JKR still overshadows everything else and sets unreasonable bar for other teams. And also the B1 - GG interaction is a real stinker...
  • iBics
    58 posts Member
    JKR's leadership was built to counter traya's, which penalizes attacks out of turn by draining their protection and reducing their dmg
    JKR came with increased dmg when attacking out of turn and getting protection back but that made their attacks to be OP+++ against anything else other than traya.
    As said above - GG gets more hp and dmg at the expense of his allies' hp+protection - DR gets more offense but reduces his team's defense

Where is the negative part in JKR's kit?
  • JacenRoe wrote: »

Agreed! They might tune it before it’s all said and done. If you have DR and you want to compete against JKR, you better have an insanely fast DR. Fastest one on my shard is 328.
  • Should have added “immune to Mark” for 1 turn at the start of the battle to Fallen Bastila’s zeta. Even with DR having an edge of 6 base speed, you can’t get him faster than Jedi Revan due to his huge speed boost from his kit. The DR team crumbles when Fallen Bastila gets taken out by Mark off the bat. Giving her survivability from that opener would level the playing field.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Testers should be fired

I think testers should be hired.
  • Jenjhys
    272 posts Member
    Should have added “immune to Mark” for 1 turn at the start of the battle to Fallen Bastila’s zeta. Even with DR having an edge of 6 base speed, you can’t get him faster than Jedi Revan due to his huge speed boost from his kit. The DR team crumbles when Fallen Bastila gets taken out by Mark off the bat. Giving her survivability from that opener would level the playing field.
    Or a speed debuff

• Speak for yourself ive been having a blast with DR, only at g8 tho because of the gear wall
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    This team is still incomplete. Malak will be the linchpin that puts the team on par with JKR.
    Fingers crossed 🤞 🤞
  • Jarvind wrote: »

This big time. There are already Dark Revan G12 teams in my old shard top 50.

The real problem is Jedi Knight Revan being crazy OP. Remove that, and GG and DRevan teams balance nicely with other teams such as CLS, Traya etc. It is the sick JKR stranglehold that is bad design

• Riffinator wrote: »
    Speak for yourself ive been having a blast with DR, only at g8 tho because of the gear wall

Same here in every single event mode except the one that matters the most...arena. JKR still the dominant king.
  • Ferocity doesnt seem worth it to me. They should get major offensive bonuses for that
  • Jookaa
    30 posts Member
    Agreed with OP, the kit is underwhelming because it doesn’t even hard counter jkr which was the entire point of the design. I don’t mind other teams winning on O, but right now any team (JkR included) can beat it bc of the stupid ferocity debuffs. I am so disappointed with the release and rollout of this unit.
  • JKR unfortunately undermines what could be seen as good synergy factions. I personally like the new DR setup with the other sith. It's nice to dust off old toons like Sith Assassin and Trooper as well. But being able to simply mark a toon like HK, Bastilla, SA (or anyone for that matter) before they can do anything totally removes any ability to allow other factions to have a fighting chance.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    DR beats JKR and JKR can beat DR with mods and RNG... I don't see the problem.....

ppl be complaining about getting OHKO on marked..... but DO NOT COMPLAIN when DR permaOHKO'S your JKR and then HK starts OHKO'ing ppl.....

gimmie a break
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    It's quite simple. If he was really made to be a counter, his no-assist Zeta would have applied to any Sith Empire ally, and not just him.

In extensive testing thus far, the enemy only Marked Darth Revan once...and that was my very first battle, before I put the Zeta on it. I suspect JKR is hard-programmed to look for it, and if not found Mark Darth Revan -- if found, anyone else will do.

I've seen HK take it, SiT, Sass, Marauder, and Fallen Bastila...but not once has my DR taken a Mark since giving him the Zeta. It's either insanely good RNG or cheap coding...but either way, you want to fix a DR squad against JKR?

Make the Zeta apply to his Sith Empire team so long as he's their leader or so long as he's alive. I mean, the Zeta is under an ability called Conquerer for Sith's sake. It's hard to Conquer anything when your army is so easily taken out.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • It's quite simple. If he was really made to be a counter, his no-assist Zeta would have applied to any Sith Empire ally, and not just him.

In extensive testing thus far, the enemy only Marked Darth Revan once...and that was my very first battle, before I put the Zeta on it. I suspect JKR is hard-programmed to look for it, and if not found Mark Darth Revan -- if found, anyone else will do.

I've seen HK take it, SiT, Sass, Marauder, and Fallen Bastila...but not once has my DR taken a Mark since giving him the Zeta. It's either insanely good RNG or cheap coding...but either way, you want to fix a DR squad against JKR?

Make the Zeta apply to his Sith Empire team so long as he's their leader or so long as he's alive. I mean, the Zeta is under an ability called Conquerer for Sith's sake. It's hard to Conquer anything when your army is so easily taken out.

It’s interesting how players can figure out fixes for the team but the devs couldn’t. I’d like to hear from @CG_Carrie or @CG_SBCrumb if DR is truly working as intended or if a fix is on the way. Because currently my DR is sitting at G8 and there’s very little incentive to focus on him and his team if JKR is still the dominant force in arena.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    It's quite simple. If he was really made to be a counter, his no-assist Zeta would have applied to any Sith Empire ally, and not just him.

It is pathetic how quickly and easily a g12 DR team dies to JKR.

meh maxxed DR teams i fought in arena were OHKO'ing jedi left and right....

you guys complaining OMG how come I went to bed on 1 and woke up not on 1 anymore...ripppppp.

people wanted a team that could beat JKR they got it...but nope can't be immortal so it's no good.

• Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    I’m glad DR isnt overwhelmingly dominant like JKR and we are going back to the Rock Paper Scissors arena where we will need to use several teams to stay on top and each team has a lineup that can counter it

JKR is just so bad that it dominates 90% of the arena for a reason. I think DR kit is fine but very limited to Sith armoire faction. I’d rather have more room and theory crafting again rather than very specific team lineups chosen by the devs
  • Making the Zeta apply across the squad would hardly make them immortal. They're still quite vulnerable with the Ferocity debuff; it just makes them a specific counter to a specific squad -- the assist meta...which really is what this game has always been about.

Teams that counter teams. Strong single target will still eviscerate them -- as they should. The squad will still need to be geared up to be truly and most effective.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • Alijar1
    381 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    The downsides are meant to balance out the upsides of each of the kits: They're balanced characters. If DRevan didn't have the reduced defense, he'd just be unkillable flat out. If Grievous didn't take away health, the other droids would build up too fast and become an unstoppable force.
    It's the fact that Jedi Knight Revan has absolutely no downsides that's the problem. He's just give give give to his entire team with little thought behind how it would affect anything, and now nearly six months down the line we're still at the same place we were when he was released.
    Of course, one might argue that the fact a character needs some kind of downside to make a character 'balanced' is a bad thing, but where's the fun in that though? You're limiting yourself doing that, so debuffs and reducing mechanics are an interesting way to go.
    #MakeTuskensGreat
    tenor.gif
This discussion has been closed.