Grand Arena - A Grand Slap in the Face!

Jiefoo
33 posts Member
First let me say I like Grand Arena and I think it adds to the experience. It needs tweaking though FOR SURE!

For example I just got 4th in Grand Arena with 2 wins and a player I beat, also with 2 wins, got 2nd. What a grand slap in the face! I know we both get the same awards at the 2nd to 4th level but that’s not the point!

The point is that Grand Arena scoring needs to be improved.

Why did the above happen?

1. The match between me and the player mentioned above was low scoring because it was so close ie we failed to clear a territory. This is also another reason why I’m so angry at the final result because I WORKED HARD TO BEAT THAT GUY and then he gets 2nd and I get 4th!?

2. This is the real kicker. The second guy I beat did not set defences in some sectors so I won, but didn’t get any attacking bonuses, so again my score was low.

How can this be fixed?

1. Figure out how to better score matches where players set no defenses. For example, the min score as if the winning player won all the attacks should be awarded. Also players who don’t set defences should be banned from Grand Arena.

2. I understand that the math involved with ranking players and accounting for all the scenarios is complex but generally I think a greater emphasis needs to be placed on who beats who rather than points scored. Even though my points were low, there should be an override that prevents a guy I beat from placing higher than I do. Also, winning could go ‘down the line’ so if A beats B and B beats C then both B and C should not place higher than A given the same wins by all even if points are higher. Yes, if C has played A and beats A then it complicates things but then that’s where posting points or wins would at least clarify things and remove any bad taste.

Seriously it is NOT FUN to work hard and spend time beating someone in Grand Arena only to have them finish at a higher rank than you. If in the end, the best math dictates that this inevitable from time to time then at least make an honorable mention or post the winners of all the battles and let credit be served where it is due. I BEAT THAT GUY... NOOOO!

I hope something can be done about this.

Replies

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    did you miss out on a 2nd place badge? same rewards, relax.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • it doesn't matter, non-issue. I think the final rank display is based on GP; highest GP gets the highest rank.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Jiefoo wrote: »
    First let me say I like Grand Arena and I think it adds to the experience. It needs tweaking though FOR SURE!

For example I just got 4th in Grand Arena with 2 wins and a player I beat, also with 2 wins, got 2nd. What a grand slap in the face! I know we both get the same awards at the 2nd to 4th level but that’s not the point!
    Of all the issues with GA, this is the most trivial. The numeric ranks are utterly meaningless and should be removed from the UI.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Jiefoo wrote: »
    2. I understand that the math involved with ranking players and accounting for all the scenarios is complex but generally I think a greater emphasis needs to be placed on who beats who rather than points scored.

If you can come up with a reliable algorithm to rank the 3 players earning the same amount of wins, then you'll have my support. However, the problem is, that with 8 players and only 3 rounds, there's no algorithm, that accounts for all different scenarios, if ranking should be based on who beats who only. F.ex. there's the scenario, where the 3 players with 2/3 wins never battled each other, but they all lost to the winner with 3/3 wins only. But again: Come up with a reliable algorithm, and you'll have my support.