Please, please, please fix Grand Areana

Prev1345
I’m sorry but this is getting ridiculous. New Grand Areana starts. 3 days into Darth Reven and my first opponent has gear 12 triple zeta 7 star Darth Reven. Of course 5 of the 6 opponents have Darth Traya and most have 2-3 times the gear 12 toons I have but somehow we are equally matched. Sorry for actually playing the game and leveling my toons. Guess this is just another case of the rich getting richer on the backs of us hard working players. They really seem to need those extra zeta mats since they have 60 or more laying around for a brand new toon. This needs to be fixed.

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I’m sorry but this is getting ridiculous. New Grand Areana starts. 3 days into Darth Reven and my first opponent has gear 12 triple zeta 7 star Darth Reven. Of course 5 of the 6 opponents have Darth Traya and most have 2-3 times the gear 12 toons I have but somehow we are equally matched.

As long as your GP is more or less the same as uou opponents, there's nothing to fix. CG announced at the introduction of GA, that players will be matched with other players with similar GP. As long as this is the case, it's as promised by CG.
    Sorry for actually playing the game and leveling my toons. Guess this is just another case of the rich getting richer on the backs of us hard working players.

I believe, that building a strong roster actually takes harder work, than mindlesly farming and gearing random characters.
    They really seem to need those extra zeta mats since they have 60 or more laying around for a brand new toon. This needs to be fixed.

If they built a strong roster and play the GA well, they earned the rewards, don't you think?
  • Lol hard working players
  • Waqui wrote: »
    I’m sorry but this is getting ridiculous. New Grand Areana starts. 3 days into Darth Reven and my first opponent has gear 12 triple zeta 7 star Darth Reven. Of course 5 of the 6 opponents have Darth Traya and most have 2-3 times the gear 12 toons I have but somehow we are equally matched.

As long as your GP is more or less the same as uou opponents, there's nothing to fix. CG announced at the introduction of GA, that players will be matched with other players with similar GP. As long as this is the case, it's as promised by CG.
    Sorry for actually playing the game and leveling my toons. Guess this is just another case of the rich getting richer on the backs of us hard working players.

I believe, that building a strong roster actually takes harder work, than mindlesly farming and gearing random characters.
    They really seem to need those extra zeta mats since they have 60 or more laying around for a brand new toon. This needs to be fixed.

If they built a strong roster and play the GA well, they earned the rewards, don't you think?

Sorry have to disagree. As the game progresses you are punished for doing what the game required earlier. Toons are needed for different nodes of the game. All of a sudden a new game node comes along that rewards you for not leveling your players. How is that at all legit. Please farm all these guys to fill your roster, build GP for Territory assaults, that being done we will now allow the few to collect much better rewards for not doing this. We are talking about a computer program that can very easily check roster strength VS GP and make match making fair. Other wise why invest in this scam.
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Partially you are right.
    Still, if you have the same GP as your opponent, without having at least Traya, I wouldn't call you hardworking at all.

Matching with a G12 DR is by chance, there's nothing to do about it. Missing Revan even the second time is somewhat acceptable, but means a lack of focus on staying competitive in PvP. But 7 guys having Traya is a clear sign that you have not progressed efficiently at all, compared to your GP.

Having a G8 Lumi or a G10 Teebo from early days is a slight disadvantage in GP, but unless you started throwing random gear on random toons it's hard to have a match up with 3 times as many G12 characters. Once again, it's not hard work, it's absolute lack of perspective for PvP. No game mode provided an advantage for prioritising 50 G10 toons over 20 G12s (not even raids or TB).
  • So then an easy fix, Allow a player to kill off Worthless toons. Let me decide to revert the level of my toons from 85 to 1. I don't need any compensation just allow me to choose to lower my GP to make match making Fair. I as a player have stuck by my Guild and tried to build it up. Have never made it to Tier 7 Traya status yet but staying loyal and sticking with a guild should not be punished. Some day I will have Traya and Darth Reven and all the other great killer toons but will still be at a disadvantage because I leveled up my toons. If they are willing to Rework a Toon because he can complete against a REVAN team then they can take 2 minutes to rework a broken Grand Arena.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    So then an easy fix, Allow a player to kill off Worthless toons. Let me decide to revert the level of my toons from 85 to 1. I don't need any compensation just allow me to choose to lower my GP to make match making Fair. I as a player have stuck by my Guild and tried to build it up. Have never made it to Tier 7 Traya status yet but staying loyal and sticking with a guild should not be punished. Some day I will have Traya and Darth Reven and all the other great killer toons but will still be at a disadvantage because I leveled up my toons. If they are willing to Rework a Toon because he can complete against a REVAN team then they can take 2 minutes to rework a broken Grand Arena.

staying in a guild that can't do t7 sith raid isn't being punished, being in a guild that does t7 sith is being rewarded.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Lmao hoarders are the scuk of this game. Wish they had a limit to how much one cam hoard specific stuff.

Im a top ranking fully ftp, and i've never hoarded. Dont see why others should, its just unfun for everyone involved.
  • Lmao hoarders are the scuk of this game. Wish they had a limit to how much one cam hoard specific stuff.

Im a top ranking fully ftp, and i've never hoarded. Dont see why others should, its just unfun for everyone involved.

What does hoarding have to do with anything?
  • Tryxa
    179 posts Member
    I will say that number of zetas should be taken into consideration. It's frustrating frequently being matched into a GA in which half the players have nearly double as many zetas as you do, and all of them have more.

Sandbaggers are annoying too, but not as annoying as zeta mismatch. (Maybe take variance of toon level into account too? Or not; could just be them optimizing their roster for pvp I guess.)
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »

Sorry have to disagree.

Which part do you disagree with?

That CG deliver what they promised (matching by GP)?
    That building a strong roster requires effort?
    Or that players with strong rosters and skilled GA play earned their wins?

I can't quite make the connection between this and the rest of your comments.
    As the game progresses you are punished for doing what the game required earlier. Toons are needed for different nodes of the game. All of a sudden a new game node comes along that rewards you for not leveling your players. How is that at all legit.

In this regard GA brought nothing new to the game, which wasn't already there in TW (which was introduced not long after TB). It's the same effect. The only difference is, that many players didn't realise the effect in TW, but first noticed it when they were affected personaly in GA.
    We are talking about a computer program that can very easily check roster strength VS GP and make match making fair. Other wise why invest in this scam.

Matchmaking is fair. It's not even - it's fair. Fair and even are two different things.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Tryxa wrote: »
    I will say that number of zetas should be taken into consideration. It's frustrating frequently being matched into a GA in which half the players have nearly double as many zetas as you do, and all of them have more.

Why shouldn't they benefit from having more zetas?

• Any system which punishes players for simply activating toons (here's looking at you EP shuttle and Ebon Hawk) is a terrible system. Sadly, that is what I and many others currently do.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Any system which punishes players for simply activating toons (here's looking at you EP shuttle and Ebon Hawk) is a terrible system. Sadly, that is what I and many others currently do.

How are you punished? What's taken away from you? Which game mode(s) are you block from?
  • Waqui wrote: »
    Any system which punishes players for simply activating toons (here's looking at you EP shuttle and Ebon Hawk) is a terrible system. Sadly, that is what I and many others currently do.

How are you punished? What's taken away from you? Which game mode(s) are you block from?

You're given harder GA opponents. I haven't unlocked most of the new releases for that very reason.
    Sure, the effect is mild but it's definitely there.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

With the change to character only GA, they are not punishing you for activating ships you are not using.

If it is a GA with ships, they are not punishing you for activating anything, your choices to put resources into things you can't/won't use are effecting you. Isn't that how it should be?
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

With the change to character only GA, they are not punishing you for activating ships you are not using.

If it is a GA with ships, they are not punishing you for activating anything, your choices to put resources into things you can't/won't use are effecting you. Isn't that how it should be?
    Playing word games does not alter the fact that that activating a toon or ship counts against you for GA matchmaking until such time as you have them powered up sufficiently to participate.

Thus anyone who wants to be competitive in GA is now playing Star Wars: Galaxy of un-activated Heroes Online...
    eenbz1fkjz3a.png
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    the easiest fix is (STILL) to match by # of g12/11, and # of zetas. That would be a much better approx of levels, and would still reward resource management without penalizing those who actually leveled and geared toons for tb, tw, raids etc, which happened before GA was even introduced.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Kyno wrote: »

The last TB required Ebon Hawk as a platoon unit. I have an unactivated Hawk that could be 5*. Do I activate him, take the 40k hit on my GP, and suffer during the next ship GA (since you can only use 28 ships total out of 38)?

Or do I leave him unactivated and make my guild suffer?

Either way, I’m getting punished...
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Playing word games does not alter the fact that that activating a toon or ship counts against you for GA matchmaking until such time as you have them powered up sufficiently to participate.

Thus anyone who wants to be competitive in GA is now playing Star Wars: Galaxy of un-activated Heroes Online...

As I stated (not playing with words), activating a ship doesn't hurt you in a character only GA, as he was mentioning ships and us being in a character only GA right now, it seemed relevant.If you choose to sink resources into something you are not going to use, that is your choice.

The last TB required Ebon Hawk as a platoon unit. I have an unactivated Hawk that could be 5*. Do I activate him, take the 40k hit on my GP, and suffer during the next ship GA (since you can only use 28 ships total out of 38)?

That is how you view it, or you can see it as a players choice about which game modes and play style is more important to them, and each choice about how we all develop our rosters is ours to own. Some players dont see an issue with a little extra ship GP to help thier guild do better in TB. Some may recognize that the boost in closing that 1 platoon in TB isnt going to get them anything and choose to stay focused only on more PvP centric game modes.

It's all about which the player finds more rewarding and worthy of those resources.

As I stated (not playing with words), activating a ship doesn't hurt you in a character only GA, as he was mentioning ships and us being in a character only GA right now, it seemed relevant.If you choose to sink resources into something you are not going to use, that is your choice.

That is how you view it, or you can see it as a players choice about which game modes and play style is more important to them, and each choice about how we all develop our rosters is ours to own. Some players dont see an issue with a little extra ship GP to help thier guild do better in TB. Some may recognize that the boost in closing that 1 platoon in TB isnt going to get them anything and choose to stay focused only on more PvP centric game modes.

It's all about which the player finds more rewarding and worthy of those resources.

You basically just reworded my questions into statements. So, of course, I agree with those statements (I chose to keep him unactivated and cost the guild 1 platoon). But my questions were in response to your comment:

“If it is a GA with ships, they are not punishing you for activating anything, your choices to put resources into things you can't/won't use are effecting you. Isn't that how it should be?”

I pointed out an example of how they punish us for either activating or not activating the Ebon Hawk. It wasn’t about investing resources into something I can’t or won’t use. I would use it for a platoon in which case it would hurt me in GA. OR I could avoid activating it in which case it would (and did) hurt my guild in TB.

• I pointed out an example of how they punish us for either activating or not activating the Ebon Hawk. It wasn’t about investing resources into something I can’t or won’t use. I would use it for a platoon in which case it would hurt me in GA. OR I could avoid activating it in which case it would (and did) hurt my guild in TB.

And these hyper-focused unicorn rosters, they are choosing to be that anchor in guild oriented events. Do you want to be a team player of king of GA? Seems there's not room (in the early GP brackets) to be both.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

You basically just reworded my questions into statements. So, of course, I agree with those statements (I chose to keep him unactivated and cost the guild 1 platoon). But my questions were in response to your comment:

“If it is a GA with ships, they are not punishing you for activating anything, your choices to put resources into things you can't/won't use are effecting you. Isn't that how it should be?”

I pointed out an example of how they punish us for either activating or not activating the Ebon Hawk. It wasn’t about investing resources into something I can’t or won’t use. I would use it for a platoon in which case it would hurt me in GA. OR I could avoid activating it in which case it would (and did) hurt my guild in TB.

So you are choosing to use it for platoons knowing full well you will not be able to or want to use it in GA. That is your choice and you are rewarded for sinking your resources into that ship if you choose to do so. You are rewarded as such because the only time it counts towards your matchmaking is when it is useable. If you choose to not upgrade it to a useable state for GA, that is your choice.

Choosing not to activate it has its benefits also, you will have a lower overall GP when being matched in a combo GA. That is the great thing about having choices, we all get to play the game and develop as we see fit.

So you are choosing to use it for platoons knowing full well you will not be able to or want to use it in GA. That is your choice and you are rewarded for sinking your resources into that ship if you choose to do so. You are rewarded as such because the only time it counts towards your matchmaking is when it is useable. If you choose to not upgrade it to a useable state for GA, that is your choice.

Choosing not to activate it has its benefits also, you will have a lower overall GP when being matched in a combo GA. That is the great thing about having choices, we all get to play the game and develop as we see fit.

Well, what I did is the opposite, but that doesn’t change the point. Regardless of what I did, I am punished in one aspect of this game which directly contradicts what you said earlier.

You are right that I would also benefit from either decision, but that doesn’t change the fact that I’m punished from either decision as well.

• Well, what I did is the opposite, but that doesn’t change the point. Regardless of what I did, I am punished in one aspect of this game which directly contradicts what you said earlier.

You are right that I would also benefit from either decision, but that doesn’t change the fact that I’m punished from either decision as well.

This game (and life in general) are full of these choices. Heck the adage "you can't eat your cake and have it too" applies directly to this conundrum.

You want the ship for use in TB, TW, Cargo Ship Contraband? Activate it. But it will count as part of your GP in GAs that have ships.

You want to keep the points out of those GAs where ships are involved? Don't activate it. But you lose the ability to platoon or use it in a secondary fleet.

Look at 6* mods - yeah, taking a wicked gold 5* mods to 6* gives you an even more powerful mod. But you lose the ability to put it on anyone not G12. In your words you're punished for 6*ing a mod.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/

• Well, what I did is the opposite, but that doesn’t change the point. Regardless of what I did, I am punished in one aspect of this game which directly contradicts what you said earlier.

This game (and life in general) are full of these choices. Heck the adage "you can't eat your cake and have it too" applies directly to this conundrum.

You want the ship for use in TB, TW, Cargo Ship Contraband? Activate it. But it will count as part of your GP in GAs that have ships.

You want to keep the points out of those GAs where ships are involved? Don't activate it. But you lose the ability to platoon or use it in a secondary fleet.

Look at 6* mods - yeah, taking a wicked gold 5* mods to 6* gives you an even more powerful mod. But you lose the ability to put it on anyone not G12. In your words you're punished for 6*ing a mod.

Are you agreeing, disagreeing, or just expanding on my point? I can’t tell.

I merely pointed out an example of what people before me were saying: you are punished for activating toons which highlights an inherent flaw in the system. I used a ship as an example because the impact is greatly amplified in the current GP calculation.

But to your point on mods, the issues are similar but not the same. You must have a g12 toon to put a 6* mod on them, but that mod stays in use as long as it’s on a toon. You still gain some positive effect out of it as long as it’s equipped even if it’s not on the optimal toon. If I activate a toon or ship and leave them at level 1, they are absolutely detrimental to your roster in GA even if you get a benefit in TB. There’s a difference between optimizing and penalizing.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Well, what I did is the opposite, but that doesn’t change the point. Regardless of what I did, I am punished in one aspect of this game which directly contradicts what you said earlier.

You just choose to view it as a punishment. If you weighed your options and choose not to upgrade because there was no real benefit, i.e. - missions would have been easier but the points would not have yielded a higher star, then there is no loss to this choice. If you did realize that your choice would cost you a star because your guild is on the cusp, that's still not a punishment, it's the weight of the choice, the rewards from that benefit may not have been worth it.

You choose to paint it in a negative light because you dont like it, but it's more neutral than that in many cases. Especially when the other choice is TB. There are very few choices that will guarantee you another star in TB, and if it's not a guarantee than there is no loss to not activating.

You just choose to view it as a punishment. If you weighed your options and choose not to upgrade because there was no real benefit, i.e. - missions would have been easier but the points would not have yielded a higher star, then there is no loss to this choice. If you did realize that your choice would cost you a star because your guild is on the cusp, that's still not a punishment, it's the weight of the choice, the rewards from that benefit may not have been worth it.

You choose to paint it in a negative light because you dont like it, but it's more neutral than that in many cases. Especially when the other choice is TB. There are very few choices that will guarantee you another star in TB, and if it's not a guarantee than there is no loss to not activating.

I’d say it’s closer to negligible than neutral, but I’m not painting it in a negative light because I don’t like. It’s in a negative light because it is indeed detrimental to matchmaking in GA.

Throwing random numbers out there: if I have 200k worth of level 1 ships and toons on my roster that my opponents do not have then they will have 200k worth of ships and toons to use against me in GA.

If you use the argument that I’m getting better rewards from TB because I can platoon more ships then I would argue back that those better rewards are not realized until I gear my toons. If I gear my non-level 1 toons then I increase my GP and the delta between me and my opponents persists (although I may get a new set of opponents).

Like it or not, this game mode penalizes you for activating toons and ships until you develop those units. Because of the GP disparity between toons and ships, you can’t even use the 6k and under filter that TW implements.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »

You're given harder GA opponents. I haven't unlocked most of the new releases for that very reason.
    Sure, the effect is mild but it's definitely there.

.... and what is taken away from you? Nothing! Hence, no punishment.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    [...]
    eenbz1fkjz3a.png

Different game modes require different strategies to excel. Each player chooses his/her strategies. I see no problem here.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »
    the easiest fix is (STILL) to match by # of g12/11, and # of zetas. That would be a much better approx of levels, and would still reward resource management without penalizing those who actually leveled and geared toons for tb, tw, raids etc, which happened before GA was even introduced.

So, players with strong rosters will have stronger opponents (of even GP)? This will only work, if players with strong rosters also win significantly better rewards than players with weaker rosters. Otherwise, there would be no incentive to build strong rosters.