Why is there no slicing for Lower Tier Mods (1-4 DOTS)?

Tony12345
98 posts Member
edited March 2019
Not sure if this has been answered before. But it would be nice to be able to slice lower tier Mods. It would make finding a specific mods a little easier.
z9ib3fs922ym.png
I had this MK III-D critical chance receiver with a primary for speed. It would have been nice to simply slice it all the way up to a MK 5 or 6 A receiver. It would have probably used up some resources but at least it would have saved some time. Otherwise any Mod with 1-4 dots is completely useless. I have been farming 5 dot mods since I first got to level 50, and I don’t think I have ever really put any lower dot mods on any of my characters.
Post edited by Tony12345 on

Replies

• StarSon
    7432 posts Member
    Well, first of all, we don't "splice" mods we Slice them.

Second of all, yes, you can only Slice mk5 for now, and yes that's annoying, and yes that makes everything less than mk5 useless. CG hasn't said much other than "you can only slice level 15 mk5 mods".
  • Probably because there could be potential problems with secondaries from lower-tier mods growing beyond the limits of upper-tier mods. Wouldn't want a 1-dot mod to have the potential of being better than a 5-dot mod after slicing.
    Maybe.
  • Tony12345
    98 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Probably because there could be potential problems with secondaries from lower-tier mods growing beyond the limits of upper-tier mods. Wouldn't want a 1-dot mod to have the potential of being better than a 5-dot mod after slicing.
    Maybe.

Yeah but even the way they have it divided up, it could be fixed to work just fine. Simple solution:
    Leveling (1-15): Unlocks the number of secondary stats
    Slicing classes (A-E): Upgrades just the secondary stats
    Slicing tiers (1-6 dot): Upgrades just the Primary to a fixed number

Then you assign caps for classes
    1 dot mod cannot be upgrade by class and must stay at class E, until you upgrade it to the next tier.
    2 dot mod to can be upgraded to a max of D. Then it can be and needs to be upgrade to the next tier. But instead of starting back at 3E, it continues at 3D.
    3 dot mod to C Max (Tops off at 3C; upgrades to 4C)
    4 to B Max (Tops off at 4B; Upgrades to 5B)
    5 to A Max (Tops off at 5A, Upgrades to 6E)

6 (and possibly even 7) dot can only be achieved by slicing so the mods should already have been topped off at 5A. However, Now 6 is a totally different animal in the sense that you start back off at 6E (instead of 6A) once you slice it, and must slice it back to A.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    it's so you don't waste resources on bad mods afaict
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    it's so you don't waste resources on bad mods afaict
    The way i’m Proposing it to be done, you would be using the same amount of resources to move from E to A (keep in mind I said this does not reset till 6 dots). The only trade off would be using resources to upgrade the mods from 1 dot to 5 dots, in the hopes of potential using a rarer mod you found at a lower tier. And hopefully this saves you Time and Energy that could be used for other things.

But of course, the way i’m Thinking of it, if you didn’t want to farm anything less then a 5 dot mod then you could still just farm 5 dots and simply upgrade from 5E to 5A. Even if you found something accidentally at 3 dots, you would upgrade from 3E to 3C, then 4C to 4B, then 5B to 5A. It is simply a trade off proposal make lower DOT mods usefull.